As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I totally forgot about diatomaceous earth. I need to pick some of that stuff up

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I totally forgot about diatomaceous earth. I need to pick some of that stuff up

It's amazing stuff. Wear a face mask when applying it though, it can settle into your lungs and that's no good. It does a number on insects though. Great for leaf and ground infestations.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The front yard bed is filling in nicely:
    2019-09-21%2012.59.02.jpg

The cosmos have done wonderfully! The zinnia (that I bought from the garden center) in the front and the snapdragon have been blooming since I planted them in late May.

Mori’s mom gave me a lot of zinnia and marigold seedlings and the marigolds all flowered, but are teeny-tiny. She showed me the seed packet and the marigolds are supposed to be 2-4” in diameter but most of the blooms have been the size of my thumbnail.
    2019-09-21%2013.01.45.jpg

2019-09-21%2013.01.54.jpg

One of the zinnia seedlings shot up and produced some large blooms but the other zinnias haven’t flowered yet...

We’ve let baby tears grow all over the pathway. It’s great. It doesn’t need cutting and it’s not high enough to cover/damage the fence like grass would.
    2019-09-21%2012.59.25.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    As far as I know, my spring/summer garden is done.

All container plants on the backdeck
    Yellow courgette
    lebanese cucumber
    red capsicum x2
    big tomato
    windowbox cherry tomato
    drunken woman lettuce
    romaine lettuce
    beetroot
    snow peas
    chives
    rosemary
    thyme
    vietnamese mint
    sage
    agria potatoes (kinda like russets)

Flowers split between the back deck and the front of the house
    Stock
    Cosmos
    dianthus
    marigold
    impatients
    petunias
    and a wild flower mix that includes alyssum and borage
    Lavender, so much lavender

and also just planted a sunflower patch out the back door

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    edit: before shot:
    Te6w5sp.jpg

and after, for now:
    djaBrum.jpg

gonna try to get some lavender going too

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Pumpkin Haul!

5yncij8wfb6b.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have killed my dill.

Oops.

But I've got strawberries starting to form and little tiny baby figs, and some yummy lettuce and tiny tomato flowers. And I think I spotted my first yellow squash blossom.

I've got a first flower on my impatiens, just waiting for the calendula to do is thing.

And I've got baby sunflowers poking up through the mulch.

Now if only the weather matched what the plants were doing.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I need some greenery for my apartment. Dunno what to get though. I guess some... succulents?

Somebody gave me a peace lily but dang it's a big ole plant. I dunno where to put em so I kinda pawned it off on my mom.

I have a relatively deep windowsill that the blinds drop over that I could probably put some small plants. I think I want something for the bathroom, too. I still have designs to make a living moss bathmat but I don't know when I'll have the time.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I need some greenery for my apartment. Dunno what to get though. I guess some... succulents?

Somebody gave me a peace lily but dang it's a big ole plant. I dunno where to put em so I kinda pawned it off on my mom.

I have a relatively deep windowsill that the blinds drop over that I could probably put some small plants. I think I want something for the bathroom, too. I still have designs to make a living moss bathmat but I don't know when I'll have the time.

Air plants! And yeah, spathiphyllums can get pretty big! Also very toxic to cats!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Spider plants are good because they're hardy and also if you buy one then in a year or two you will have a dozen.

Snake plants are also cool, tough as nails and apparently good for cleaning the air so handy if you fart a lot I guess

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Kalanchoe! Also called widow's thrill. Beautiful little green succulent leaves with these pretty sprays of orange, white, or pink flowers and stuff. Pretty tough too, my mom grows em in her sunroom in Wyoming and it gets down to freezing temps in there in the winter.

• Options
    Spider plants are good because they're hardy and also if you buy one then in a year or two you will have a dozen.

Snake plants are also cool, tough as nails and apparently good for cleaning the air so handy if you fart a lot I guess

Hmmm yes I do live alone and am a farty monster this is good information

• Options
    Alright I got 4 little succulents and a pothos?

Like, $70 worth of plant let's see how long it takes to kill em

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Garlic and onions can go in now. And beans to overwinter.

• Options
    Some brassicas too should do ok over winter, so broccoli, cauli, cabbage.

my garden's doing well. I've got sunflowers sprouting in their little spot, i've got my first little baby yellow courgette on the plant. The cucumber plant is... not doing much.

The flowers are starting to really come to life. my potatoes aren't really doing much yet. and i've got little baby strawberries, just waiting to turn red

i think this will be a banner year for my garden.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Growing vegetables intimidates the hell out of me for some reason

• Options
    oh i'm not very good at it! these are all just in pots on my deck.

but i'm going to be having a salad tonight with fresh lettuce from my garden. so that's something.

I'd really love it if the snow peas would actually climb the trellis thing that I got for them. And not just hold hands in mid air, dammit.

• Options
    Self-grown salad sounds very satisfying :)

• Options
    Self-grown salad sounds very satisfying :)

As someone who has grown a fair amount of vegetables at this point, it's surprising how fast you get sick of lettuce.

• Options
    Here we go @NightDragon

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Zone 6 here

Bout to bring in the potted tropicals from my deck. I’ve done this for a few years with these plants but It’s always messy and I’m not sure if the plants are being stunted because I’m not doing everything optimally.

Anybody have tips with this?

• Options
    I have so many excess jalapenos from my backyard crop, and they are so hot that I won't be able to eat them fast enough before they go bad. So I'm going to slice them into rings and pickle them. I've never done it before but it looks pretty easy. I'm not exactly sure how to season the mix, based on random google searching I'm going to add pepper corns, coriander seeds, maybe a couple bay leaves, and some garlic.

Also my four legal Canadian cannabis plants have yielded almost a pound of dried weed which is way more than I know what to do with and was SO MUCH FUCKING WORK to trim. Now I know why weed costs what it does in stores.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    News is reporting that they're expecting the first snow storm of the season, along with the first freeze, tomorrow.
    Mourn for my neighborhood plants, plant thread. They're all about to stop being green.

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    We have frost coming soon also, I hauled the remnants of the garden off to the compost. It was a terrible year for a lot of my vegetables which is frustrating. Voles killed my snow peas, fungus wrecked my zucchini, the slugs were pretty damaging to my cabbages despite the beer-traps, and some small green larvae ate up my kale. My neighbor who lives about 500m away had absolutely none of these problems and was a bit perplexed when I asked her about what she did to prevent various pests from eating her stuff.

The other weird thing is about halfway through July my cucumbers started tasting really terrible, and I haven't been able to track down why that would be. I did get 10-12 really good cucumbers this year though which was lovely.

• Options
    Weed growers definitely aren’t getting rich here in Washington. Since I started working in the industry at least two of our suppliers have vanished after being busted for dealing illegally on the side

@see317 I shall mourn your plants!

Our pink cosmos are so bright they even stand out from across the street!

Our maple tree is starting to turn really red.

2019-10-09%2009.54.12.jpg

I’m hoping to get blueberry bushes this weekend... I hope it’s not too late to plant!

Also look at this beautiful tree two houses down:
    2019-10-08%2017.06.23.jpg

• Options
    I love trees that get that super bright "glowy leaf" in the fall

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I have so many excess jalapenos from my backyard crop, and they are so hot that I won't be able to eat them fast enough before they go bad. So I'm going to slice them into rings and pickle them. I've never done it before but it looks pretty easy. I'm not exactly sure how to season the mix, based on random google searching I'm going to add pepper corns, coriander seeds, maybe a couple bay leaves, and some garlic.

Also my four legal Canadian cannabis plants have yielded almost a pound of dried weed which is way more than I know what to do with and was SO MUCH FUCKING WORK to trim. Now I know why weed costs what it does in stores.

JELLY JELLY JELLY MAKE JELLY JALAPENO JELLY IS AMAZING

• Options
    edited October 2019
    @Moriveth ‘s dad caught two bunnies digging up my flower bed this morning. He shooed them away before they gutted it.

...but he also took a video and those bunnies are not wild bunnies. One was ginger, both were very fat and he had to literally had to shoo them away. So now I feel sad that someone’s abandoned pets are in the neighborhood.

Janson on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Could be they lived in an outside hutch during warmer parts of the year and managed to escape and someone's looking for them!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    man I wish we could grow weed here

I went to visit my friend once, many years ago, and his roommate had turned his room into a hydro set-up and was bringing in a crop.
    It was the most soothing task, prepping those buds and nugs and nugbuds. And I got paid! in weed!

also I discovered that some frogs live under some... frondy plants my dad put in earlier in the year. I dunno what they're doing this far from the creek, I worry about them!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We hear frogs outside in the evening sometimes, which is very pleasant

Those little fuckers sound so happy when it rains

• Options
    I’ve been very happy with the wildlife here

We have seen and heard multiple frogs and bunnies

I hear coyotes at night

We see deer

We had a mole in our yard but it ultimately didn’t do any real damage so I just had fun finding new paths it dug

We do have a fair amount of spiders in the yard, and not the good orb weaver kind, but since I planted a lot of mint I have seen significantly fewer

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    We hear frogs outside in the evening sometimes, which is very pleasant

Those little fuckers sound so happy when it rains

The different sounds of thousands of froggies from dozens of species singing their little hearts out was the best thing about the start of rainy season when I lived in the bush.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The first big rain of spring back in New Mexico was called a "toad floater." The evening after the nearest playa filled up for the first time you could hear them all singing from a mile away.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    There's something about that sound that always struck me as a bit surreal and magical. Dusk, summer evening, a cast of deep blue light and a slight haze, and those frogs calling out somewhere in the woods.

Loved it.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Plant thread, what can I do about these plants? The anthurium had a rough year but seems to be holding on. We have had this thing for six years so I would hate to lose it now.

The succulent has grown in a very odd way. Is there any way I can get it to grow straight again? It doesn't seem to grow new leaves/buds on the lower part of the stalk.

tzr0xt0iktqu.jpg
    x48um9esrroq.jpg

• Options

JELLY JELLY JELLY MAKE JELLY JALAPENO JELLY IS AMAZING

I never even considered that. I'm going to stick to my plan of pickling for now. Maybe next year!

• Options
    The succulent you could try taking cutting and starting a new plant. I doubt that current one will ever grow lower leaves in future. Do you know what it is?

I don't know what that top plant is but it looks a bit tragic. Could try repotting it if it's been in that pot a while?

• Options
    We got our first frost which instantly killed my zinnias, so time to take them out of the ground!

Looking at care of the other plants in my yard and it seems like I shouldn’t be doing much to most of them beyond mulching. A lot of them say they benefit from being allowed to die naturally and not be trimmed.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The succulent you could try taking cutting and starting a new plant. I doubt that current one will ever grow lower leaves in future. Do you know what it is?

I don't know what that top plant is but it looks a bit tragic. Could try repotting it if it's been in that pot a while?

The top plant is an anthurium. I had tried repotting it this summer but it didn't improve. It's been like this, with the two lonely leaves, for months.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't think of looking up how to propagate that succulent. Apparently I should be able to cut the stem off an inch from the top and let it dry out. It should shoot new roots that I can then replant. Thanks!

BlazeFire on