As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Anya’s been complaining that Washington is too cold and she misses California.

She’s currently sitting outside and has declared that it is ‘so hot’. She and Niko are in single layers.

It’s 51 degrees...

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    The number of kids I see arriving/leaving my daughter's elementary (even some doing crossing guard stuff, so they're out even longer) in shorts and a tshirt and nothing else when it's like 33-35 degrees is staggering.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Anya’s been complaining that Washington is too cold and she misses California.

She’s currently sitting outside and has declared that it is ‘so hot’. She and Niko are in single layers.

It’s 51 degrees...

Its so nice out today!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Sprocket is old enough that it's officially getting weird for me to take her to the bathroom if there's both a mens' and ladies' room, rather than a unisex bathroom.

I'll never admit it to Mrs. Cog, but I'm privately stoked about this turn of events.

Cog on
  • Options
    Yesterday evening, my wife set Sapling (she's about 19 months) up on the couch with her bottle, because my wife was working on cleaning the kitchen while I spent time with my daughter. She saw me come out of the kitchen and start walking towards her, and she reached over and patted the cushion next to her in a "come sit next to me" sort of way, and it was the most adorable thing ever.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Yesterday evening, my wife set Sapling (she's about 19 months) up on the couch with her bottle, because my wife was working on cleaning the kitchen while I spent time with my daughter. She saw me come out of the kitchen and start walking towards her, and she reached over and patted the cushion next to her in a "come sit next to me" sort of way, and it was the most adorable thing ever.

I have a video somewhere of our daughter at daycare, less than a year old, laying next to another child. The other child starts crying, and Sprocket looks over with this super concerned look on her face, and reaches out and pats the other baby on the arm a bunch.

:heartbeat:

• Options
    Anya got in trouble on Friday.

They have classroom iPads on which they do work. She and a friend used their passwords to install an app on their iPad, which resulted in her losing access to the iPad.

On the one hand, of course she should not have done that and we told her we agreed with her teacher.

On the other hand, c’mon, security is obviously lacking if a 6 year old can install apps on the iPads.

• Options
    Anya got in trouble on Friday.

They have classroom iPads on which they do work. She and a friend used their passwords to install an app on their iPad, which resulted in her losing access to the iPad.

On the one hand, of course she should not have done that and we told her we agreed with her teacher.

On the other hand, c’mon, security is obviously lacking if a 6 year old can install apps on the iPads.

They need to get some MDM on that shit, wtf.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yesterday was a big day with the boys while my wife had a shift. Took this shot at St Kilda Adventure Playground, and had to share.

nuan4d6d9pv5.jpg

It's an amazing park:
    https://playandgo.com.au/index.php/st-kilda-adventure-playground-castle-slides-flying-fox-pirate-ship-more/

(St Kilda in South Australia, not Victoria)

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Apparently one of Anya's 'friends' at school told her she has a bad heart if she doesn't go to church

man, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that

• Options
    edited March 2019
    That is an awesome playground - wait, is playground even accurate? That’s verging on being a theme park!

Anya’s ‘best’ friend at school, whom we’re already not keen on (Mori’s mom works at the school once a week and has identified her as a problem student; ever since Anya made friends with her she’s been performing worse and worse), told Anya that if Anya didn’t go to church she would have a bad heart.

Edit: Mori beat me to it!

Janson on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It’s been my extensive experience that it is the churches where the bad hearts congregate.

• Options
    That is an awesome playground - wait, is playground even accurate? That’s verging on being a theme park!

It's free too!

There's also a tram museum not far away that once a week runs an old tram from the museum to the playground and back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Burpette has headlice so now I feel constantly itchy.

Boooo

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Ugh noooooo head lice

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My kids have dry scalps, and are always itching their heads. I'm always nervous I'll miss lice if they ever get it until it's bad

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My 3-year old has a runny nose and cough. Internet searches say no medicines, only warm liquids. Anything else?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    humid bathrooms. I also got vaporub which seemed to help.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Considering their worst enemy is almost always their own hubris, that tracks.

This is why my wife and I don't like that show. The "problem" in the show is almost always a self-inflicted one. One of the three kids is always obsessing over something, and it's holding them back from winning. And, in proper kids' show format, every show ends with "it's time to be a hero!" and them getting over their self-inflicted problem.

It's probably trying to teach kids to overcome their own problems, but for some reason it just bothers me :) .

As for Pokemon... my boys are somewhat obsessed. It was introduced to my older son at summer camp this past summer, and then my younger son got it from kids in his daycare who were bringing cards to class. Daycare had to ban the cards as it was disrupting class.

I introduced them to the TV show, as it was a part of my childhood, and I wanted them to watch it :) .
    We watched it on the "big TV" for a little bit, then through the magic of Amazon FreeTime my older son discovered that you can play all the episodes on pokemon.com.

My younger son had a bit of an epiphany last night when he realized "water is strong against fire, fire is strong against grass, grass is strong against water... that's a pattern!!"

One of the kids in the younger son's daycare has a lot of Pokemon toys, and keeps giving them to my son. Apparently that kid's dad has a bit of a Ebay problem, and keeps buying toy after toy. So my kid gets all the extras. I actually asked the mom if it was OK, as he seemed to be giving my kid a lot of stuff. She was like "get it out of my house! please!"

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

We swear by baby Vicks, it's great.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

Get a humidifier too.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Get a humidifier too.

Sometimes I forget that not everybody lives in a swamp like me

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Get a humidifier too.

Midwest winter, I am a dessicated husk.

• Options

Get a humidifier too.

Cambridge autumn to spring, everything is always damp

• Options

Get a humidifier too.

Cambridge autumn to spring, everything is always damp

Midwest spring to autumn: we live on a compost heap where "corn sweat" is a legitimate thing.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know if there's an equivalent but over here you can get a Calpol plug-in diffuser which you plug into a socket and it fills the room it's in with what's essentially Vicks. You get 8 full hours of relief

If the re-fill pod things weren't so expensive I'd use it whenever I get a cold because it works wonders on the boy

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I did some asparagus in the oven last night for my wife and I and the celery that I cut up for my older daughter tasted off to her so I made her try an asparagus top and she not only liked it, she ate 3 whole stalks. I'm so excited by this development, not just because it means she'll eat things that are good for her but because it means I get to make asparagus more often and that is A+ good news.

• Options
    Tried the vapor rub last night and she only woke up once from coughing. That’s great! Now if only there was a way to stop the goop from sticking to her pajama top or get that odor to go away. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I did some asparagus in the oven last night for my wife and I and the celery that I cut up for my older daughter tasted off to her so I made her try an asparagus top and she not only liked it, she ate 3 whole stalks. I'm so excited by this development, not just because it means she'll eat things that are good for her but because it means I get to make asparagus more often and that is A+ good news.

And yet asparagus smell well be in her diaper now! Unless she's one of the lucky people whose body can digest the smelly enzymes.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Sapling helped me with my hair last night.

pe5ftben5m3l.jpg

• Options
    We’re off to Niko’s ENT appointment soon.

In the meantime I get to have breakfast with my boy!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My little one, Furcub (8) if you will, has tonsillitis. Not great but at least not contagious. Got him some antibiotics and he was very worried about the size of the pill. I had to assure him that he takes much bigger bites and swallows then that when he eats. He finally relented and swallowed it just as easy as I told him.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Aww, poor guy. I hope he feels better soon!

Three year olds can be so sweet. We were in the car going to Niko’s ENT appointment.

Niko: It’s a long way to the doctor, huh, Mommy?
    Me: Yes it is, I’m sorry.
    Niko: It’s alright! I love your driving!

• Options

And yet asparagus smell well be in her diaper now! Unless she's one of the lucky people whose body can digest the smelly enzymes.

bwa ha ha she's 8 1/2, any and all smells are her problem now. We've been a diaper free household for almost 2 years and it's fucking great, can't recommend it enough.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I will wail and moan about the kids growing up too fast all day, but the end of diapers is magnificent.

• Options
    now if only we could get them to remember to flush....

• Options
    Aww, poor guy. I hope he feels better soon!

Three year olds can be so sweet. We were in the car going to Niko’s ENT appointment.

Niko: It’s a long way to the doctor, huh, Mommy?
    Me: Yes it is, I’m sorry.
    Niko: It’s alright! I love your driving!

Sprocket, while we were pulling out of the gas station: Daddy, how did you get to be such a good driver?

Me: Just a lot of practice, pumpkin. Mummy is a good driver too, you know.

Sprocket: Yeah... I guess... Will you teach me to drive when I grow up?

Me: Of course I will. Do you want me to teach you, or Mummy to teach you?

Sprocket (Immediately): You.

Me: Either of us can teach you, you know. Mummy's a good driver too.

Sprocket (Eventually): .... I guess. But I'd rather you teach me.

Me: Why is that?

Sprocket: Mummy.... kinda... colors outside the lines... with her car...

Me: We will never speak of this again. I will teach you.

Sprocket: Okay, cool.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    If you turn the volume on the monitor down just low enough, it’s like the baby isn’t even that upset

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    When Furcub was young he would whisper to himself for 20 to 30 minutes while going to bed. We could hear him over the monitor and it was insanely creepy. Like straight up out of a horror movie because you couldn't understand him, just hear this constant low whispering sound.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    We’ve been doing diaperless training at home and school for over a month now. She pees on her potty, but not without prompting. Still has accidents and hasn’t pooped in the toilet yet.

So frustrating! Just pay attention to your body kid. Ugh...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.