As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Help help, I'm raising a Final Fantasy protagonist

WgS76mnl.jpg

Just don't get the kid into Blitzball. That game is terrible.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

... uh oh ...
    mk71nfkjwcgy.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

... uh oh ...
    mk71nfkjwcgy.png
    Oh my god they're a Nomura FF character

I weep for the cows that sacrificed their leather for all those belts

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

... uh oh ...
    mk71nfkjwcgy.png

Damn you, this sent me into a coughing fit!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I sincerely hope that none of these people are pregnant. We really don't need to muddle up the gene pool any further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShUeudtaFg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that none of these people are pregnant. We really don't need to muddle up the gene pool any further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShUeudtaFg

Or they might be children or they might have a developmental disability. Either way some of them are probably scared and alone, so I feel kind of icky making fun of them.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nope it's spam. We get a lot of it here actually. I am pretty sure not being pregnant is the weirdest spam, but it happens a lot.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ugh wife is on a work trip to Scotland and she started bleeding slightly and having pains.

Fortunately the midwife system worked and she rang our local midwife team who got her an appointment at the closest Scottish Hospital. Her co-worker has driven her to the hospital.

She's been there for about four hours now whilst they run tests. We're fortunate that this is the NHS and it's all free but there's been a lot of waiting.

There appears to only be one doctor and one registrar covering the whole maternity ward (not counting midwifes).

Tory budget cuts in action.

Just frustrated that I'm so far away.

Her co-worker is waiting as the hospital and he's said he'll drive her home tomorrow instead of flying back

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kate went to Thunder Bug's birthday party on Friday and then the game on Saturday. Prepare for picture dump!

gmlWGUDb.jpg?1
    gSKeDXUb.jpg
    gEJQ99Zb.jpg
    BdrI3yob.jpg
    kAb0o06b.jpg
    K12YUB7b.jpg

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Oh no! I hope everything is okay.

• Options
    More pics from the Thunderbug birthday

cv4gktBb.jpg
    640urwDb.jpg
    BBqqicgb.jpg
    4birLufb.jpg
    AVzKMI5b.jpg
    cOyj8d0b.jpg

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh no, Sharpy.

I hope everything is ok.
    thinking of you and your wife.
    let us know if we can do anything?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Ugh wife is on a work trip to Scotland and she started bleeding slightly and having pains.

Fortunately the midwife system worked and she rang our local midwife team who got her an appointment at the closest Scottish Hospital. Her co-worker has driven her to the hospital.

She's been there for about four hours now whilst they run tests. We're fortunate that this is the NHS and it's all free but there's been a lot of waiting.

There appears to only be one doctor and one registrar covering the whole maternity ward (not counting midwifes).

Tory budget cuts in action.

Just frustrated that I'm so far away.

Her co-worker is waiting as the hospital and he's said he'll drive her home tomorrow instead of flying back

My wife had some bleeding too, fairly early in the pregnancy, that worked out. I realize that either way its just going to be stressful not being there, but just offering the comment that we had something similar and it worked out ok.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Thank you for all your messages,after six hours she's finally been poked and prodded for the last time.

Unfortunately there were plenty of emergencies on the ward hence the wait.

We know what it is now and it's nothing too concerning, it'll just produce some light spotting for the next few weeks.

It was just combined with the other symptoms that was making us worry so much.

Baby has been moving as normal and having a right punching session, he always seems to attack the Doppler when it's used.

Co-worker is making the six hour drive tomorrow to take her home so she doesn't have to fly which is awesome of him.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Thank you for all your messages,after six hours she's finally been poked and prodded for the last time.

Unfortunately there were plenty of emergencies on the ward hence the wait.

We know what it is now and it's nothing too concerning, it'll just produce some light spotting for the next few weeks.

It was just combined with the other symptoms that was making us worry so much.

Baby has been moving as normal and having a right punching session, he always seems to attack the Doppler when it's used.

Co-worker is making the six hour drive tomorrow to take her home so she doesn't have to fly which is awesome of him.

So glad it worked out well!!!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Yikes

So the kids came home and Anya started talking about Momo. Momo (don’t google unless you want to have nightmares) is a really creepy statue that supposedly pops up in YouTube videos and tries to convince kids to self-harm. (I learned this today because I googled, damn it).

I asked where the fuck did you learn about Momo, and she said at school from her friends, then she came home and her Grandpa told her he had heard of Momo too, in the news.

Of course she had been talking to Niko because at this point Niko chimed in to say ‘Momo is a really creepy statue whose eyes bleed and she wants you to hurt people!’

Just UGH. It goes to show that even when you do your best to protect and watch them that inevitably stories get around and now I have a three year old who knows of Momo.

Janson on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    This is what my kid's school sent home about that, @Janson:

March 4, 2019

Dear Parents/Guardians,

Please be aware that many students across the country, as well as in [school district], are talking about the Momo Challenge.

According to an article posted recently in The Atlantic, “The Momo challenge is a recurring viral hoax that has been perpetuated by local news stations and scared parents around the world.” The article also states that “there have been zero corroborated reports of any child ever taking his or her own life after participating in this phony challenge.”

This is what commonsensemedia.org shared about the Momo Challenge:

“This frightening social media challenge appears with an unforgettable, horrifying picture of a statue of a bird (that looks like a girl) and allegedly encourages kids to perform increasingly risky and harmful tasks, including hurting themselves. It can pop up in a variety of places but seems to center around Whatsapp, where a user is sent a link to click on. It's not new but resurfaces occasionally. Though some articles mention reports of kids actually harming or killing themselves as a result of the challenge, they are unsubstantiated. Some reports indicate it's actually a way for hackers to get access to devices, which poses a whole separate set of risks.”

Please be assured that [school district] has taken actions to block internet sites associated with the Momo Challenge while students are on our network. Please try to monitor and limit your student’s use of the internet, with a focus on their safety. [school district] offers a compilation of valuable tips and resources.

Sincerely,

[school district]

• Options
    Even if kids haven't harmed themselves in response, it's still fucked up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    it's fake

the only reason anyone knows the word 'momo' is because of bullshit news outlets and blogs for credulous parents

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    it's fake

the only reason anyone knows the word 'momo' is because of bullshit news outlets and blogs for credulous parents

No idea on Momo itself, but that said, "watch everything your kids do on the Internet" is solid advice, since there are Youtube videos "for kids" that splice definitely-not-suitable-for-kids content in the middle where it wouldn't be obvious from the beginning.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    It was fake to start with; some YouTube creators are now actually inserting Momo into the middle of videos - because of course they are.

And just that Niko can now try and imagine a creepy statue with bleeding eyes is bad enough. :/

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Nothing like projectile baby vomit to be a good end to the day!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We got one from our school that left Momo entirely unnamed. Just said hey, we've been hearing some things from older students and there's stuff out there on the internet that masquerades as appropriate content for kids but ends up being scary or encouraging them to do bad things, so pay attention to what media they're consuming, try to keep media consumption in public areas of the home, etc to make sure what they're doing is okay.

It's generally incredibly sound advice without naming the thing, which of course just makes people go look it up and gives it more traction. I always very much appreciate when people dial back the urge to give free advertising to terrible people.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I pick up my daughter from school every day but occasionally have to take her in as well when my wife isn't up for it. She eats breakfast at school so she can eat with friends. I hadn't heard of Momo until last week when one of the kids she usually sits with was warning all the other kids about it.

It was somewhat disturbing to end up first hearing about it from a 1st grader but it was sweet seeing another kid care enough to caution other kids about it.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ahhh heellpp!!

So my eldest, C, has beautiful long curly hair. And he loves it.

But a moment I was dreading has come. He's being teased at school, by his friends. And they're saying he looks like a girl.

Any advice? I've explained they're not being nice, and friends don't do that, but there's the fact that I gotta explain why being called a girl is teasing but also there's nothing wrong with being a girl and those children are just the newest recruits for the patriarchy.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Yeah we had to deal with almost 2 years of William liking his long hair too much to let us cut it but ALSO not liking being told he looked like a girl.

You don't want to capitulate to the bullshit but you don't want the kid to be upset either, I have no advice other than to acknowledge it's just a shit sandwich.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So I mentioned a few weeks back that my wife and I had taken in my niece and nephew from foster care. At the time it seemed like they would get them back in a few weeks to a few months, which was fine, but my wife spoke to the case agent and he said it might be permanent. I love my brother and his kids, but I don't think we can handle two extra kids. I had a vasectomy after our son and my wife just had an ablasion, effectively sterilizing her as well. We only wanted one. I feel like an asshole but it is already starting to take a toll on our son (8) who is used to having his own space and his own stuff. We are going to get him some counseling/therapy to help him deal with the sudden change. I know it is going to cause a huge fallout in my family, but my wife and son and I can't sacrifice our happiness to make up for their mistakes. Hopefully the worker was wrong, we will find out either next Wednesday or the 27th.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah we had to deal with almost 2 years of William liking his long hair too much to let us cut it but ALSO not liking being told he looked like a girl.

You don't want to capitulate to the bullshit but you don't want the kid to be upset either, I have no advice other than to acknowledge it's just a shit sandwich.

This was me.
    I finally had my hair cut in primary school because one day I looked in the mirror and could not myself tell that I was a boy.
    So the only way to stop people asking about my gender was to get it cut.
    Wasn't being teased for it though.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Luke dealt with that awhile too. In the end it truly stopped when puberty hit and added a bit of facial scruff and his face sort of shifted a bit more masculine (sorry if that sounds odd, I'm not sure how else to word it).

It only really bothered him during the brief stint where they called him a girl's name which I don't remember now. In the end it really helped when we asked his small posse of close friends to lay off that specific name and insult him other ways since their opinions were the ones that mattered to him. He's still got the hair, and I don't think he ever gets crap for it (aside from grandparents asking when he'll trim it up a bit.)

• Options
    edited March 2019
    it's fake

The original thing was fake, but of course now that the NYT and NPR were talking about it over the weekend a lot of copycat assholes have been pushing stuff up on to Youtube as "Advertisements". YouTube removes them but not until after they've already been seen by a lot of people.

So it's probably best to avoid YouTube in general until this whole thing blows over and the trolls get bored.

On a side note, the picture the NYT showed of Momo was actually surprisingly ... cute? I'm still not posting it though, you'll have to look for it yourself.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The artist was horrified by what their work was turned into, and clarified that the piece broke down physically and was eventually chucked in the garbage, so to go ahead and assure your children that Momo was dead. I felt pretty bad their work was repurposed like that- I guess originally the thing is just some Japanese folklore monster

• Options
    I got called goldilocks a lot in elementary school, I don't know if I ever even brought it up with my parents. It probably wasn't great for me, and I didn't have a whole lot of friends to help me with it, but I think by that point I was old enough/stubborn enough that I wasn't going to change something because someone else was making fun of me.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I just got an email from the school about Momo and it's mostly pretty good and informed, but this whole blowup feels like a terrible precedent. Like I can feel it becoming a competition to become the next Momo, if that makes sense.

• Options
    The kids often call me Moomoo; this morning they woke up and called me Momo and Niko helpfully yelled ‘Anya says Momo has bloody eyes!’ Soooo that’s where we are with this.

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    The artist was horrified by what their work was turned into, and clarified that the piece broke down physically and was eventually chucked in the garbage, so to go ahead and assure your children that Momo was dead. I felt pretty bad their work was repurposed like that- I guess originally the thing is just some Japanese folklore monster

Yeah, the full sized photo always seemed like a harpy out of Greek mythology to me, but yeah, out of context the thing is pretty disturbing.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I just got an email from the school about Momo and it's mostly pretty good and informed, but this whole blowup feels like a terrible precedent. Like I can feel it becoming a competition to become the next Momo, if that makes sense.

Everyone was completely breathless to be the first person to repost it. Which in a way I get, because yes this is some sick shit, the sickest, anyone would be worried, and my first instinct was to immediately believe it as well, because it's 2019. I don't know the remedy really- this sort of consensus reality nonsense is exactly why I think things feel so dire right now

• Options

Everyone was completely breathless to be the first person to repost it. Which in a way I get, because yes this is some sick shit, the sickest, anyone would be worried, and my first instinct was to immediately believe it as well, because it's 2019. I don't know the remedy really- this sort of consensus reality nonsense is exactly why I think things feel so dire right now

I guess I was already a little pre-disposed to question it because I had just don'e some googling about the 48 Hour Challenge, and all of this just feels a little familiar. I wonder if some of it isn't tied to "millennial parents". I feel like, especially through the early years of gaming, there were all sorts of weird tricks and bugs, and you'd read about them online, and try them, and they worked, and so now we have this antenna whose purpose is to pick up on weird internet shit.

• Options
    Luke dealt with that awhile too. In the end it truly stopped when puberty hit and added a bit of facial scruff and his face sort of shifted a bit more masculine (sorry if that sounds odd, I'm not sure how else to word it).

It only really bothered him during the brief stint where they called him a girl's name which I don't remember now. In the end it really helped when we asked his small posse of close friends to lay off that specific name and insult him other ways since their opinions were the ones that mattered to him. He's still got the hair, and I don't think he ever gets crap for it (aside from grandparents asking when he'll trim it up a bit.)

I had a nephew in this situation. Ultimately he cut his hair when he was 8 or 9 but then started growing it back out again when he was 12. I think it helped that he was very confident for a pre-teen, an even though kids were still teasing him when he was 12 he just didn't care. He's 17 now and still has a glorious head of hair.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I guess I was already a little pre-disposed to question it because I had just don'e some googling about the 48 Hour Challenge, and all of this just feels a little familiar. I wonder if some of it isn't tied to "millennial parents". I feel like, especially through the early years of gaming, there were all sorts of weird tricks and bugs, and you'd read about them online, and try them, and they worked, and so now we have this antenna whose purpose is to pick up on weird internet shit.

I am a millennial parent and I immediately knew it was bullshit. A quick visit to Snopes confirmed. It was just too perfect: a bizarre figure doling out lethal advice to small children through YouTube? It reads like something out of a cheap B horror movie. Plus if someone's child had actually done something YouTube would have immediately taken down any video featuring even a single frame of the thing. That is one thing the algorithm is great at, seeking out a clear-cut image and dropping the hammer. I mean shit if it can find videos of animes with the video inverted and flipped it can find that.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Our kids asked about Momo, but all they wanted to know was that it's not a real thing; once we explained that it's just a model, they were fine. The email from (elementary) school has a pretty reasonable take:
    "[...] our teachers discussed how to
    respond to this issue as we have had a few students search the term at school and find
    the picture. A number of our older students are also aware of it. We quickly concluded
    that telling students not to search the term Momo and to ignore it if the picture shows up
    on their screen would be an invitation too tempting to ignore for many them. This would
    also not help them be prepared for the next “thing” that will come along.
    Instead, in addition to being very vigilant as we supervise students using their devices, we
    will be reviewing the following expectations of our digital citizenship plan.
    ● At school, students will only use the internet as directed by their teacher, and only
    searching terms approved by the teacher.
    ● If they see something scary or inappropriate, they need to let an adult know right
    away"

And then they have the usual advice about "at home, don't let your kids use devices unsupervised", etc.

This discussion has been closed.