As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0786966599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532274931&sr=8-1&keywords=guildmaster's+guide+to+ravnica
    Explore a worldwide cityscape filled to the brim with adventure and intrigue in this campaign setting for the world's greatest roleplaying game

A perpetual haze of dreary rain hangs over the spires of Ravnica. Bundled against the weather, the cosmopolitan citizens in all their fantastic diversity go about their daily business in bustling markets and shadowy back alleys. Through it all, ten guilds--crime syndicates, scientific institutions, church hierarchies, military forces, judicial courts, buzzing swarms, and rampaging gangs--vie for power, wealth, and influence. These guilds are the foundation of power on Ravnica. They have existed for millennia, and each one has its own identity and civic function, its own diverse collection of races and creatures, and its own distinct subculture. Their history is a web of wars, intrigue, and political machinations as they have vied for control of the plane.

For the first time, a Magic the Gathering setting is getting an official, fully featured D&D supplemental book

Man, I post in some other prominent D&D forums and they hate this.

They hate it with all their passionate fury.

Meanwhile I told my roommate, who very causally plays D&D, the soft-pitch for Ravnica and he thought it sounded cool.

So, there you go I guess.

Lemme guess the general reaction is: "why not my favorite setting?"

Or is it just pure mindless frothing hate with little direction?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    consider this:

D&D nerds suck

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    consider this:

D&D nerds suck

I'm a D&D nerd...

... fair point

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    someone dm a ravnica game and let me play in it, thanks

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    primal terror at having their brand overtaken by wotc's more popular game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Has Wizards released any numbers re: setting popularity at any point? I don't "get" Ravnica's popularity, though I've got no hate for it either, and I'm just wondering if they've got some sort of anecdotal or survey-based data that drove this.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Has Wizards released any numbers re: setting popularity at any point? I don't "get" Ravnica's popularity, though I've got no hate for it either, and I'm just wondering if they've got some sort of anecdotal or survey-based data that drove this.

They haven't released hard numbers but they've repeatedly stated Ravnica is their most popular setting by a huge margin based on their surveys

Rainfall on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ravnica slaps

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    consider this:

D&D nerds suck

Let's be fair here.
    Nerds suck.

No reason to limit it to D&D nerds.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i personally would have liked a eberron book or something, but oh well. this will probably make more money.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ravnica I think is the best MtG setting for a D&D game too.

All the guilds leads naturally to political intrigue and a fun setting.

Most other MtG settings would just be like, DnD with palette swapped monsters.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Planescape's been mostly set aside, so it's not like Ravnica's competing for real estate

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Maybe if it does well we'll get a Homelands setting expansion!

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    You guys I am DMing a 5th edition game set in the Fantasy Warhammer universe and by Sigmar it is so much fun! I've gotten to add quite a few custom rules and race reskins already and god damn it's made things nuts. I have rules set aside for black powder weapons, Chaos magic, and a few original creations that'll keep my players guessing for as long as this campaign runs. I even wrote down a potential plot map for successive acts of the story if they get through the first major narrative arc and want to keep going. This is the most fun I've had in a while and I am TOTALLY not going mad with power because of it!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Although a Zendikar game with players climbing around mountains and hang gliding to floating rocks with giant Eldrazi devouring everything would be very "tabletop RPG"

Hmm

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I guess I can see the consternation if you wanted wizards to be working on something else and you've been unhappy with their D&D output recently
    but ravnica is soooo cooooooool

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Although a Zendikar game with players climbing around mountains and hang gliding to floating rocks with giant Eldrazi devouring everything would be very "tabletop RPG"

Hmm

I would do Zendikar pre-Eldrazi showing up, completely forget them and stick with the crazy terrain world of adventure fr the first two sets.

Innistrad likewise, though it has little to differentiate it from a generic gothic horror world.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I guess I can see the consternation if you wanted wizards to be working on something else and you've been unhappy with their D&D output recently
    but ravnica is soooo cooooooool

That's generally what all the hate usually burns down to in the hardcore D&D corners of the net.

"Why are they wasting time on X? i don't want X we want Y."

I'm just like "yo this is all content I can steal, and I'm always into that."

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Hmm

I would do Zendikar pre-Eldrazi showing up, completely forget them and stick with the crazy terrain world of adventure fr the first two sets.

Innistrad likewise, though it has little to differentiate it from a generic gothic horror world.

The biggest "huh," factor on Innistrad to me is that it's tiny, given the information that's floating around about its geography. Which echoes Ravenloft nicely, I guess, but gives you a lot of room to expand the world if you wanted to.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    As someone who hasn't played Magic for over fifteen years, what exactly is Ravnica?

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Wizards has finally reached the point where their estimation of D&D's fanbase is such that they want to replace it with Magic's.

• Options

Hmm

The biggest "huh," factor on Innistrad to me is that it's tiny, given the information that's floating around about its geography. Which echoes Ravenloft nicely, I guess, but gives you a lot of room to expand the world if you wanted to.

I think Innistrad is very much "this is where anyone is left alive", it's... well, not a happy ppace, vampires won hard.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    As someone who hasn't played Magic for over fifteen years, what exactly is Ravnica?
    I love ravnica's world-city aesthetic
    a nice thing about being a MTG setting is there's a ton of concept art sitting around for it
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/look-return-ravnica-2012-09-25

Ravnica is a world-spanning fantasy megacity run by guilds that represent different MTG mana color combinations

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

City planet with some fairly important guilds driving a political intrigue setting.

• Options
    Wizards has finally reached the point where their estimation of D&D's fanbase is such that they want to replace it with Magic's.

You know that or this is a product type (an MtG setting for D&D) people been talking about since the 90s or at least the early 2000's.

• Options

Hmm

I think Innistrad is very much "this is where anyone is left alive", it's... well, not a happy ppace, vampires won hard.

Possibly? It seems like the demons and werewolves and things weren't exactly suffering, though.

And honestly, if there's vampires everywhere, F it, D&D with vampires. The Innistrad ones don't seem inherently stronger than standard PCs.

• Options

Hmm

Possibly? It seems like the demons and werewolves and things weren't exactly suffering, though.

And honestly, if there's vampires everywhere, F it, D&D with vampires. The Innistrad ones don't seem inherently stronger than standard PCs.

True, demons did fine, but they probably don't care about places without people. There's at least one ocean coast but ahaha exploring in that world.

Werewolves can't pop up in areas without people so much, so...

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

You know that or this is a product type (an MtG setting for D&D) people been talking about since the 90s or at least the early 2000's.

Yes but they always shelved it because D&D players got stupendously mad whenever WotC so much as focus grouped the idea.

• Options
    oh i guess there is an eberron book out today.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    oh i guess there is an eberron book out today.

Link?

• Options

Hmm

True, demons did fine, but they probably don't care about places without people. There's at least one ocean coast but ahaha exploring in that world.

Werewolves can't pop up in areas without people so much, so...

I mean, you'd think vampires might have a problem vis-a-vis areas without people as well.

Thinking about it some more, perhaps it makes sense that Innistrad would be dominated by vampires to the extent you're arguing because it's tiny. Ixalan is crawling with vampires who rule a large section of a much-larger world.

I do understand that Ixalan's vampires are a metaphor for leyenda negra -inspired / -enhanced colonialist rapacity, whereas Innistrad's are the product of wanting to tell a story revolving around Spooky Things and vampires have the most cultural weight of the ones involved, but from a how-did-it-work-in-the-setting perspective it's a more interesting question.

• Options
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    This is the best thing.

Syndicalist Shadowrun and the Interwar Pulp setting that also has Guilds-As-Megacorporations both own so hard.

e:Just came up with a snappier title. Hearts of Mithril.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I love ravnica's world-city aesthetic
    a nice thing about being a MTG setting is there's a ton of concept art sitting around for it
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/look-return-ravnica-2012-09-25

Ravnica is a world-spanning fantasy megacity run by guilds that represent different MTG mana color combinations

From the cover in the tweet, it looks like Ravnica has some interesting tech or magitech.

I am not opposed to this.

• Options
    yeah there's a fair amount of magitech in Ravnica

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Oh also, one of my players has a combat build that effectively breaks the game, so I'm having to rebalance everything around that and shit is hard y'all. Especially because his social skills are loading more bolts into his hand crossbow while talking.

• Options

Seriously it feels like I'm gonna steal so much from that book for my setting.

Anyone know if the wayfinder's guide actually includes an artificer or no?

• Options

Specifically, the Izzet guild is all about magitech. Simic is close but focused on modifying biology rather than artifice or spells.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular

The Izzet Guild (red/blue color combo in Magic) is run by an ancient dragon wizard who is more interested in mad science and magical research that pretty much anything else he could be doing, and the members of the guild buy into that aesthetic really hard.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    i bought the eberron book because i'm a girl of my word.

the magic setting is still a neat idea tough, probably won't buy it unless there is something real cool in it.

This discussion has been closed.