Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I haven't actually played it yet, but just from reading the rules I'd say it currently seems slightly simpler than MtG?

Its definitely a richard garfield game though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    It's relatively simple. The base idea is that you have cards from three different factions in your deck (there's like 6-7 overall). Each turn you pick a faction, and you can play cards from hand/activate cards on board from only that faction. The goal is to get amber, with which you forge keys, and various cards will give or steal amber, or you can tap your dudes to gain an amber. You can also fight your opponent's dudes with your dudes - just killing them doesn't help you win, but might slow them down or keep them from getting enough amber on their turn.

It's pretty simple and straightforward, not too many choices on a given turn I feel.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's a fairly simple game but you only ever get to play with random decks rather than building your own decks, so you know, maybe you'll like the deck maybe you won't, shrug

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I assume in 6 months the keyforge community will have come up with roughly agreed upon standardized deck building rules and just put the cards in sleeves

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just read what my greatsword of wounding I got last session does... That's mean.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I assume in 6 months the keyforge community will have come up with roughly agreed upon standardized deck building rules and just put the cards in sleeves

Why?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Why?

Because deckbuilding is a big part of CCGs, and while buying a game that is exclusively premade decks is a fun novelty it seems like it that novelty would wear off after awhile if you actually wanted to play the game on a longer term

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Why?

Because deckbuilding is a big part of CCGs, and while buying a game that is exclusively premade decks is a fun novelty it seems like it that novelty would wear off after awhile if you actually wanted to play the game on a longer term

I mean, that's the express design goal of the game is that it has no deckbuilding. If you want deckbuilding you should play a different game.

I don't see the game having legs as a result of this design choice. I see folks just leaving for other games instead of trying to "fix" this one by changing it into something it was never designed to be.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Why?

Cause "here is a random deck built by an algorithm, hope yours doesnt suck because we deliberately designed the cards to try and make customization impossible" is a terrible idea

Its trying to keep all the gambling parts of buying new packs of MTG while at the same time creating game mechanics to disincentive the formation of a secondary market

If you don't like your deck then your only option within the existing rules is to buy an entirely new deck, which is also randomly generated by the factory algorithm and may also be shit or not play in a way you like

Their solution to the problem of if your deck is shit and your buddys deck is awesome is a very stupid system of handicapping the better deck based on how many games it has beaten the shittier deck in a row

The cardpool isn't that big and the decks are only 37 cards, and mechanically none of the card fronts are unique in a way that matters, they just have unique backs that makes it impossible to build a custom deck without it being marked (unless you use sleeves in which case it stops mattering)

if the gameplay is fun then people will approximate the rules the keyforge deck building algorithm uses and hack together decks to get more life out of their cards

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    i can't imagine something that would create more savage knife fights in the keyforge community than introducing the idea that maybe there should be deckbuilding

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It wouldn't even have to be real deck building!

Like the game has 7 houses (think colors in MtG) and each deck is 36 cards (3 houses, 12 cards per house)

So if i take all my Sanctum cards from one deck and swap them with all my Logos cards in another deck, then as long as the deck respects the 3 faction split it should be perfectly legal because each house in that deck was put together by the stupid algorithm

So it isn't real deck building but now I don't have to keep gambling to see if I get a deck that has the houses I want

edit and each deck comes with a printed card list so it would be trivial to prove you weren't cheating

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If someone wanted to proxy a deck they were planning on buying on eBay, or if we were tournament planning and wanted to prep against specific combos than sure I’d be down to play proxy decks or something, but I have no idea why you would buy into KeyForge and then go “... but what I’m really into is deckbuilding.”

If someone asked me if I wanted to play against their built deck I would laugh and go play someone else.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm not really into deck building, so I looked at it initially. But it also just feels like it's a crap shoot whether or not your deck will be different.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The secondary market for Keyforge is insane.
    My phone autocorrected it to forgekey

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Keyforge sounds great

Ccgs are terrible and so are lcgs that last too long!

• Options
    If someone wanted to proxy a deck they were planning on buying on eBay, or if we were tournament planning and wanted to prep against specific combos than sure I’d be down to play proxy decks or something, but I have no idea why you would buy into KeyForge and then go “... but what I’m really into is deckbuilding.”

If someone asked me if I wanted to play against their built deck I would laugh and go play someone else.

Its not being into deck building as much as having even a semblance of control over the kind of deck you're playing without spending mtg level money

Like I would never buy keyforge for myself cause random decks you can't control at all is a garbo gimmick unless you're made of money

I'm glad to get it as a gift but it'll never get another dollar out of me

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Keyforge is basically Loot Box the cardgame so I just can't get behind it myself.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    even more than regular CCGs are already Loot Box: the Card Game

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    my thoughts on Keyforge are:

pros:
    seems like it plays well, would be fun for sealed events

cons:
    theme is garbage
    distribution model is loot box-y and almost predatory
    it isn't Netrunner

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

pros:

cons:
    theme is garbage
    it isn't Netrunner

And Magic isn't?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »

pros:

cons:
    theme is garbage
    it isn't Netrunner

And Magic isn't?

never said I liked magic's distribution model, did I?

Anzekay on
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

pros:

cons:
    theme is garbage
    it isn't Netrunner

And Magic isn't?

Magic allows you to purchase specific desired cards individually through the secondary market. I don't know any competitive Magic player who has ever played a tournament with a deck that they did not purchase individual cards for (often with those being the majority of their deck).

Whether or not you like the Magic distribution model, it does not rely entirely on randomness and blind boxes. Wizards may not be a huge fan of it, but the secondary market is much bigger than the packs/boxes method for competitive players.

Elddrik on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Elddrik wrote: »

pros:

cons:
    theme is garbage
    it isn't Netrunner

And Magic isn't?

Magic allows you to purchase specific desired cards individually through the secondary market. I don't know any competitive Magic player who has ever played a tournament with a deck that they did not purchase individual cards for (often with those being the majority of their deck).

Whether or not you like the Magic distribution model, it does not rely entirely on randomness and blind boxes. Wizards may not be a huge fan of it, but the secondary market is much bigger than the packs/boxes method for competitive players.

Somebody bought those cards in a blind pack. Magic just has a long enough tail at this point that there is a robust secondary market.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    But Keyforge is designed such that if someone buys those cards in a blind pack (which is what a Keyforge deck is, let's be honest), nobody else can ever use them

Straightzi on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The secondary market for Keyforge (if it catches on, which I'm not sure of) is going to be based around reading descriptions of cards online, deciding what your ideal deck would be (probably through some proxied playtests), and then tracking down the one person who has purchased that deck (and by person I probably mean someone who is doing this professionally) to buy the deck you want at a significant markup.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    But Keyforge is designed such that if someone buys those cards in a blind pack (which is what a Keyforge deck is, let's be honest), nobody else can ever use them

You can sell entire decks on the secondary market, just not piecemeal.

Which is different, but, yeah. I'm sure there will be a decent secondary market for decks that play like you actually enjoy playing.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah.

I forgot about the theme. It seems a bit blah to me.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The theme kinda shouts "Generic MMO Sci-Fi". My first reaction was "MOBA Sci-fi", but I'm not sure if it's a thing.

• Options
    I hate the dumb fucking martians so bad

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The theme is just ultra low effort, which is a shame given that Magic managed to evoke so much with the art and the odd quote.

The real crime though is the graphic design which feels like somebody like me did it in paint.net

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    anyone have fancy dice brand recommendations

like dice you've personally been satisfied by

want to get a partner some good dice for her birthday

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

I like my gamescience dice but the numbering basically just wipes off them instantly.

• Options
    My friend was one of the bartenders at Joe Manganiello's birthday party this weekend, and apparently there were like three games of DnD running at all times, the birthday cake was a giant version of his DnD character and he cut it with a battleaxe, and my friend got a custom D20 from Joe.

I am intensely jealous.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I have some forged brand metal dice I got for satans a few years ago those are nice.

Also a bag of holding I got this summer.

Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Forged-Dice-Co-Metal-Polyhedral/dp/B07DQ86QH4

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I also have a set of Forged Dice Co metal dice that my fiance bought for me. I can confirm that they are quite nice and are very satisfying to roll.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Forged Dice are exactly the sort of thing I'm going for. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Denada wrote: »
    I also have a set of Forged Dice Co metal dice that my fiance bought for me. I can confirm that they are quite nice and are very satisfying to roll.

They do have a tendency to flop if you aren't vigorous enough. Also get a cheap dice tower. Your tables with thank me.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Keyforge is fun and good

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My friend was one of the bartenders at Joe Manganiello's birthday party this weekend, and apparently there were like three games of DnD running at all times, the birthday cake was a giant version of his DnD character and he cut it with a battleaxe, and my friend got a custom D20 from Joe.

I am intensely jealous.

As you have every right to be. Hell I'm super fucking jealous.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

I like Skull Spitters, but I'll freely admit to being a sucker for small grab bags.
    https://www.skullsplitterdice.com/products/premium-mystery-blind-bag

Or, if you want to know what you're getting, you can do that too.

This discussion has been closed.