As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Avengers: Endgame

...until Phase 5 kicks off with New Avengers. Then it's Skrull Game: Skrull Harder

Fucking psyched either way, also (trailer spoilers)
    FUCKING HAWKEYE GOING FULL RONIN

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hasn't every Far Cry game since 3, possible even 1 and 2, been pretty much an Uwe Boll take on society?

Like isn't that kind of the point?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    There is nothing progressive about making a minority a villain? Like that is pretty much a common thing in film, media, and even games.

The time I saw Tears of the Sun on DVD, when it was new, it was the first time I saw a depiction, said "I'm pretty sure this is fucking racist" then I remembered it was Antoine Fuqua directing and wondered what the fuck was going on.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its like women who spout horribly sexist things, being a member of a class doesn't mean you can't be influenced by the society at large.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The Blacklist season 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz8d6HTgJ20

Mortal Kombat 11, PUBG, Anthem, Far Cry 6, Fortnite, Rage 2, Journey to the Savage Planet, Scavengers World, Psychonauts 2, Dragon Age Dread Wolf Rises, Dead by Daylight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ColiLBEUj2k

Pledge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfiZQQ_BdfU

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I just caught up a couple days ago on The Blacklist. It was really swaying into not being fun there halfway through the fifth season but hoo boy did it sink a few storyline hooks right back into me by the end. I don’t watch trailers for tv shows I’m interested in already because they tend to reveal a tad too much for my taste. Can’t wait though!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Brightburn, produced by James Gunn, basically being the edgy teenager comic come to life, "what if Superman was bad growing up?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGATzNnr8c

Fuck that shit and just trying to mimic the Man of Steel trailer/music, you want Superman but evil his name is Captain America a boom nailed it.

edit: also lolz Man of Steel was already Superman being evil a boom beat'd.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Brightburn, produced by James Gunn, basically being the edgy teenager comic come to life, "what if Superman was bad growing up?"

Fuck that shit and just trying to mimic the Man of Steel trailer/music, you want Superman but evil his name is Captain America a boom nailed it.

Yawn yawn yawn. The interesting route to go with a young evil superman would be if it was like a terrible part of a now respected heroes past. Have people be looking into it, and the hero doeant know what to do. Hes ashamed of what he did, but feels he has atoned through his actions after growing up. The horror comes from the fact that you know this person is unstoppable. You know that you thought he would come quietly. But, he did these awful things in the past. Could he do them again? Can anyone trust him? Does it matter? Do they need him?

Not just, superman but killing people.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Yawn yawn yawn. The interesting route to go with a young evil superman would be if it was like a terrible part of a now respected heroes past. Have people be looking into it, and the hero doeant know what to do. Hes ashamed of what he did, but feels he has atoned through his actions after growing up. The horror comes from the fact that you know this person is unstoppable. You know that you thought he would come quietly. But, he did these awful things in the past. Could he do them again? Can anyone trust him? Does it matter? Do they need him?

Y'all are crazy. It's Superman meets It's a good life! or something, which is a solid premise. No reason it can't be good.

And of course the trailer riffs on Man of Steel. That's the latest superman movie.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's a comic book called Irredeemable that was fairly good and that exact premise: What if the resident "Superman" encountered the real-world issues one would likely have with that level of superpowers and responsibility, and just fucking snapped. Stuff like hearing every bit of shit talk being said against you because of your superhearing, or crushing your little brother because you literally don't know your own strength, or hearing the sound of a gun cocking a mile way doesn't mean you can stop it because that's not how the speed of sound actually works. In fact last I heard they were thinking of making it a movie, so I wonder what they'll do since this basically steals the entire concept.

That said, this movie looks like it'll also just be a bog standard "creepy kid" plot and probably won't have that level of nuance. I don't know if it can when the plot can most likely be boiled down to "kid has a temper tantrum and nobody can stop him".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I suspect there's a twist like there's a evil twin or other persona or something. It's going to be pretty lame if he really just wants to kill people and they either all just die like they should or he lets himself get taken out by the 1 magic bullet.

But then horror movies. So dunno.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Y'all are crazy. It's Superman meets It's a good life! or something, which is a solid premise. No reason it can't be good.

And of course the trailer riffs on Man of Steel. That's the latest superman movie.
    I mean, to comic fans ‘Superman but evil’ is a well worn trope, but not to the general movie going audience. Plus, it isn’t selling itself as a superhero movie, but as a horror movie. It’s The Omen if the kid was an alien instead of the devil. And considering the prevalence of superhero’s I like the idea of using the iconography and doing different stuff with it.

I mean, it could suck, but as the premise for a horror movie it seems okay to me.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I mean, to comic fans ‘Superman but evil’ is a well worn trope, but not to the general movie going audience. Plus, it isn’t selling itself as a superhero movie, but as a horror movie. It’s The Omen if the kid was an alien instead of the devil. And considering the prevalence of superhero’s I like the idea of using the iconography and doing different stuff with it.

I mean, it could suck, but as the premise for a horror movie it seems okay to me.

Superman but evil is a complete subgenre in comics. From sorta Superman (Irredeemable, Leaving Megalopolis, Ultraman, Hyperion, etc.) to actual Superman (Injustice), it is a well trodden road. No surprise that movies are expanding that list now that superheroes are a major film genre.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Harry's link is broken but Umbrella Academy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMeqY7ogdF8

That bank robbery scene looks weak with the CGI but it does have style. I think they're jumping straight into the second TPB, Dallas? Or they're going to run through the first two trades in one season?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Kinda seems like they're going to run through the first trade.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Ralph breaks the internet clip: Really looks like "Brand Synergy - The Movie"

I also wonder how little or much self awareness there is going on with making Stormtroopers, the faceles fascist mooks, the security.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Uuuggh, gimme that Kaiju action now! Was worried Mothra would be way to insectoid looking as is the trend these days, but this trailer confirms for fluffy! Hype!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

mothra is bae

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Stranger Things 3 is certainly upping the ante.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The Ralph breaks the internet clip: Really looks like "Brand Synergy - The Movie"

I also wonder how little or much self awareness there is going on with making Stormtroopers, the faceles fascist mooks, the security.

Disney is really into this thing right now where their works are self-referential. Specifically as to the ideologies their films have traditionally portrayed and been criticized for. They give the illusion of a conversation occurring while often having little to say on the issue. And at the same time they just keep on selling the merch. Up to and including merch based on fascist-analogues to children.

If there seems no coherent ideology to all that it's because there isn't one beyond hard cash money.

• Options
    Ralph 2 was such a letdown.

I was really hopeful.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/vuzplFd3YVY

Captive state now kind of explaining the premise.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Don't need to click on a trailer that has John Goodman as the teaser image. It's already an instant watch.

• Options
    I could deal with the not so subtle resistance symbolism, but the aliens being shown little to none is what annoys me and I tune out. It's no longer a sense of building tension, just lazy directing (also it loses points if the aliens are going to inhabit humans too when they're not underground or whatever).

• Options
    Pinky Malinky, apparently it was originally a Nickelodeon show by a co-creator of Gumball but moved to Netflix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xIBUGb3yJ4

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac, and this has apparently pissed off every latin american country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNA4E3AuGIk

A co-worker from Mexico was the one who brought this up this morning and basically led me down this rabbit hole; the original animoo was insanely popular in Mexico and South America in the 90's for being one of the first dubs there and everyone grew up with it, on par with Dragon Ball Z or Power Rangers in America in the 90's. And apparently it was big in Europe too for the same reasons. But what this new series did, outside of the weak CGI animation, is they made one of the most popular characters, a very feminine guy on the team way before that was a thing in anime, a girl. And the showrunner (who deleted his twitter after posting this) said he did so because you can't have the main group be all guys, even as the original animation company said he shouldn't do it. So they took the most feminine male character with the biggest fan following and genderswapped him which is rubbing people from all sides the wrong way. Plus the spanish voice actor for the lead character from the original show died a few years ago, and he was a big fan-favorite, and the person who has replaced him is someone from latin Netflix shows who isn't that good. They don't even have the japanese dub up on Netflix, it's just the american one with subtitles, the rumor being no one wants to be part of the show or do the main voices for the fear of backlash.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kind of surprised it took Playmobil this long.

https://youtu.be/K-C1ys02wlU

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac, and this has apparently pissed off every latin american country:

https://www.yout ube.com/watch?v=RNA4E3AuGIk

A co-worker from Mexico was the one who brought this up this morning and basically led me down this rabbit hole; the original animoo was insanely popular in Mexico and South America in the 90's for being one of the first dubs there and everyone grew up with it, on par with Dragon Ball Z or Power Rangers in America in the 90's. And apparently it was big in Europe too for the same reasons. But what this new series did, outside of the weak CGI animation, is they made one of the most popular characters, a very feminine guy on the team way before that was a thing in anime, a girl. And the showrunner (who deleted his twitter after posting this) said he did so because you can't have the main group be all guys, even as the original animation company said he shouldn't do it. So they took the most feminine male character with the biggest fan following and genderswapped him which is rubbing people from all sides the wrong way. Plus the spanish voice actor for the lead character from the original show died a few years ago, and he was a big fan-favorite, and the person who has replaced him is someone from latin Netflix shows who isn't that good. They don't even have the japanese dub up on Netflix, it's just the american one with subtitles, the rumor being no one wants to be part of the show or do the main voices for the fear of backlash.

I'm not bothered by this. I don't feel like I should be. Maybe I'm not understanding the complaint properly? They added a female character to an all-male show (by changing one of the existing characters). Besides the fact that "people" are grumbling about it, seems like a positive change imo. Only reason against is either nostalgia (and not wanting things to change) or sexism, yeah?

Is this actually a thing or something a small subgroup of people (which happens to include your coworker) says is a thing?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I'm not bothered by this. I don't feel like I should be. Maybe I'm not understanding the complaint properly? They added a female character to an all-male show (by changing one of the existing characters). Besides the fact that "people" are grumbling about it, seems like a positive change imo. Only reason against is either nostalgia (and not wanting things to change) or sexism, yeah?

Is this actually a thing or something a small subgroup of people (which happens to include your coworker) says is a thing?

Given what happened with Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Thundercats, etc. etc. I'm not surprised this is a thing at all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Given what happened with Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Thundercats, etc. etc. I'm not surprised this is a thing at all.

But even with Star Wars that was definitely a vocal minority. Vocal, for sure, but a small group relatively. No real context about the others.

Steam profile
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I could deal with the not so subtle resistance symbolism, but the aliens being shown little to none is what annoys me and I tune out. It's no longer a sense of building tension, just lazy directing (also it loses points if the aliens are going to inhabit humans too when they're not underground or whatever).

I agree with you on the aliens thing. The unseen aliens are a very overplayed dystopian theme. Have them everywhere, watching you always. Omnipresent, not omniscient. Have the humans hide through being confusing and doing stuff the aliens don't understand, but looks to them like normal human stuff.

Creates a different feel than usual. Still, may be that they are just saving things for later in the trailer sequence.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular

I found an article that goes into this a little more:
    https://soranews24.com/2018/12/13/saint-seiya-fans-shocked-as-gender-swap-for-andromeda-shun-revealed-in-new-netflix-series/

Here's a relevant part:
    Okay, so Andromeda’s character is definitely a girl. Hmm… but for fans of Saint Seiya, a big part of Andromeda Shun’s allure is that he is an incredibly beautiful boy — one of the earliest “androgynously beautiful boy characters” to feature prominently in modern manga and anime, in fact. Do we really want to take that away from the series?

And
    Shocked and outraged fans all over the world are voicing their opinion that Shun is the character who was already breaking stereotypes and embodying inclusivity by being the somewhat effeminate and kind-hearted yet fiercely powerful warrior, and that changing him into a girl negates that concept. We feel there’s considerable truth to that argument, since Shun’s struggle with his compassionate, non-violent side, which he sometimes perceives as a weakness, is a big part of his character development. In short, Shun is meant to represent a different kind of strength that men can have that doesn’t necessarily involve physical aggressiveness, and that message is lost if the character is turned into a girl.

• Options
    edited December 2018

They took the male character who was the most non-stereotypically masculine and changed him into a woman who normally displays those traits, sort of defeating the purpose of showing men not being the normal hero stereotypes. And this character seems to have been the one of the first ones bucking that stereotype in anime/manga. The show also apparently has a few female characters already available who could have been added to more of a leading role if it was such an important thing to include. Or, instead of just remaking it, make a new series, the original animation company seems to have literally just released a brand new series where the Knights are all new female characters.

And if you look at the reactions from the Netflix trailers across all the different regions it's not doing well in any of them.

edit: Selner's link shows a good example of what the fans are saying instead of going secondhand.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    It's like in Silent Hill where they changed Harry into a woman because a father would never possess feelings of concern for their missing child.

• Options
    The follow up makes sense, thanks!

Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.