Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Trailers: A Brief History

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Total GooberRegistered User regular
Totally not stolen from Wikipedia:
The first trailer shown in an American film theater was in November 1913, when Nils Granlund, the advertising manager for the Marcus Loew theater chain, produced a short promotional film for the musical The Pleasure Seekers, opening at the Winter Garden Theatre on Broadway. As reported in a wire service story carried by the Lincoln, Nebraska Daily Star, the practice which Loew adopted was described as "an entirely new and unique stunt", and that "moving pictures of the rehearsals and other incidents connected with the production will be sent out in advance of the show, to be presented to the Loew’s picture houses and will take the place of much of the bill board advertising".[3] Granlund was also first to introduce trailer material for an upcoming motion picture, using a slide technique to promote an upcoming film featuring Charlie Chaplin at Loew's Seventh Avenue Theatre in Harlem in 1914.

Trailers were initially shown after, or "trailing", the feature film, and this led to their being called "trailers". The practice was found to be somewhat ineffective, often ignored by audiences who left immediately after the feature. Later, exhibitors changed their practice so that trailers were only one part of the film program, which included cartoon shorts, newsreels, and serial adventure episodes. Today, more elaborate trailers and commercial advertisements have largely replaced other forms of pre-feature entertainment, and in major multiplex chains, about the first 20 minutes after the posted showtime is devoted to trailers.[citation needed]

Up until the late 1950s, trailers were mostly created by National Screen Service and consisted of various key scenes from the film being advertised, often augmented with large, descriptive text describing the story, and an underscore generally pulled from studio music libraries. Most trailers had some form of narration, and those that did featured stentorian voices.[citation needed]

In the early 1960s, the face of motion picture trailers changed. Textless, montage trailers and quick-editing became popular, largely due to the arrival of the "new Hollywood" and techniques that were becoming increasingly popular in television. Among the trend setters were Stanley Kubrick with his montage trailers for Lolita (1962), Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Kubrick's main inspiration for the Dr. Strangelove trailer was the short film Very Nice, Very Nice (1961) by Canadian film visionary Arthur Lipsett. Pablo Ferro, who pioneered the techniques Kubrick required as necessary elements for the success of his campaign, created the Dr. Strangelove trailer, as well as the award-winning trailer for A Clockwork Orange (1971).[citation needed]

Many home videos contain trailers for other movies produced by the same company scheduled to be available shortly after the legal release of the video, so as not to spend money advertising the videos on TV. Most VHS tapes would play them at the beginning of the tape, but some VHS tapes contained previews at the end of the film or at both ends of the tape. VHS tapes that contained trailers at the end usually reminded the viewer to "Stay tuned after the feature for more previews." With DVDs and Blu-rays, trailers can operate as a bonus feature instead of having to watch through the trailers before the film

Ah, how far we have come. Here are some great examples of this unique art for. True avant-garde material!

Rhesus PositiveBobbleHarry DresdenjdarksunkimeFallout2man

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Levi looks excellent as Shazam.

Godzilla is going to make me feel like a 10 year-old again.

April-May next year is gonna be ridiculous.

hawkboxMvrckjimb213
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    For real next year is gonna be a good year for movies.

Arch wrote: »

I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    they cast... chuck... as captain marvel

huh

also guess theyre hiding the rock for later

They're leaning really hard on the "guy who acts like a kid in an adult body" angle

I'm looking forward to Big 2.

Big Again?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    joshgotroElvenshae
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    they cast... chuck... as captain marvel

huh

also guess theyre hiding the rock for later

They're leaning really hard on the "guy who acts like a kid in an adult body" angle

I'm looking forward to Big 2.

Big Again?
    The Re-Biggening.

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    From the last thread @surrealitycheck they aren't doing Black Adam in Shazam! WB/DC didn't ant two people with identical powersets.

Scuttlebutt is Black Adam will be the villain in Suicide Squad 2

Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Huh Shazam looks...not garbage?

It does look exactly like a Marvel movie though.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Shazaam has the advantage that no one knows who he is so you can do an origin story.

wbBv3fj.png
    Elvenshae
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The Flash season 5

Legends of Tomorrow season 4

Supergirl season 4

Gifted season 2

FINALLY the ring suit!

Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

SorceElvenshaeamateurhourShadowfirejdarksunDoctorArchAbsalon
    Man on the High Castle season 3

Attack on Titan season 3

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Colony season 3

• SorceSorce Registered User regular
    Hopefully S3 of Man in the High Castle won't be boring as shit.

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 22
    Really? No one else thinks Zachari Levi with muscle-padding looks dumb?

I mean it's... so clearly muscle padding. Shazam has fake muscles.

Otherwise could be alright.

RT800 on
    DoodmannRedTideKipling217
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul no thank you, I prefer my hat Registered User regular
    The looking dumb is what makes it look good.

ShadowfireBobblejimb213hawkboxMvrckDark Raven XBloodySlothFencingsaxTetraRaydurandal4532kimeoverride367PhillishereKetar
    edited July 22
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Yeah I think its very specifically going for the "idealized version of a buff superhero to a kid" look

also like The Rock in Pain and Gain if ya know he wasn't doing absurd amount of steroids.

bloodyroarxx on
    Snicketysnick
  • BogartBogart Because I hate you Registered User, Moderator mod
    It does kinda look like a ridiculous muscle suit.

Harry DresdenEtiowsaKanaKipling217Nobeardoverride367Jayrichojammu
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Yeah I think its very specifically going for the "idealized version of a buff superhero to a kid" look

also like The Rock in Pain and Gain if ya know he wasn't doing absurd amount of steroids.

I see it as "what would a DCAU character look like in the real world" which is perfect for child who turns into a superhero.

pAJiEss.jpg
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    bloodyroarxxFencingsaxGvzbguldurandal4532
    Deadly Class

The Purge tv mini-series

Legacies

Origins

edited July 22
    Black Lightning season 2

Arrow season 7

Roswell (reboot)

Harry Dresden on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So can we expect the best actor in the new Godzilla movie to die in the first 20 minutes just like the last one?

AbsoluteZeroRedTideTetraRayHeatwaveNobeardMunkus Beaver
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    So can we expect the best actor in the new Godzilla movie to die in the first 20 minutes just like the last one?

Which one would it be, though?

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Looks like they really turned the new Godzilla movie up to eleven...

Arch wrote: »

I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
    TetraRayKneelFawstwanderingSealjdarksunJusticeforPlutoCentipede DamascusDark Raven XHeatwaveBobbleA Dabble Of TheloniuskimeStyrofoam SammichNobeardHavelock2.0RickRudeJayrichoMarekLeeks
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    It turns out the only thing that can save humanity

is giant monster battles.

SealhawkboxkimeNobeardYoutube
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    jimb213 wrote: »

Which one would it be, though?

Charles Dance:

This post was sponsored by LG.

'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
    jimb213
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Merciful Zeus, yes, give me more Godzilla.
    I think Zeus is anti-Titan not pro-Titan

FawstamateurhourN1tSt4lkerSorceKanaBobbleSpecial KkimeNobeardSkeith
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    Shazam looks fun

Godzilla looks like the last one in that there's a lot of poorly plotted drama taking time away from Godzilla

This is still my favorite trailer of all time:

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    GvzbgulRiuskime
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Merciful Zeus, yes, give me more Godzilla.

I mean the good news is my take away from this trailer is that the movie is either ~5 hours long, or has so much jammed in it is basically just monster cameos.

I'm fine either way, honestly.

n57PM0C.jpg
    Fencingsaxsee317kime
    Riverdale season 3

Supernatural season 14

This show will never end.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 23
    Riverdale season 3

Just so that we're perfectly clear... this is the show based on the Archie comics, right?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    DoodmannFencingsaxBobbleSealStyrofoam SammichMvrckRedTideHexmage-PAForar
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    This is the season Sabrina supposedly comes in, right?

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

I'm waiting for Predator to show up.

The 2nd Amendment is unarguably one of the most liberal, liberating and radical statements ever made in human history.
    YoutubeDark Raven X
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Sabrina has her own show this year, unknown if she's going to show up in Riverdale (yet)

pAJiEss.jpg
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Sorce
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Supernatural is totally a guilty pleasure of mine.

amateurhourJayrichoFry
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular

We've reached peak James Cameron.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Absalonwanderingmanwiththemachinegun
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Have we? There's still like a half dozen Avatar sequels in the pipeline.

ElvenshaeBobbleGvzbgulRchanenSkeithMunkus Beaver
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The main girl just looks too fake

Heatwave
  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    The main girl just looks too fake

I think that's the point.

iLaXVZ7.png
    Official member of the Grilling Gentry

"Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    Rarely-updated Collecting blog
    NSDFRandSealDoodmannFencingsaxRiuscaligynefobMagicPrimeElvenshaekimeBobbleSkeithDizzy DSorcePhillishereWho-PsydForarEnc
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    All of the other cyborgs have pretty regular faces.

Couscous wrote: »
    All of the other cyborgs have pretty regular faces.

Yup.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Elvenshae