As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Both.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Maybe don' include spoilers in your trailer desciptions?

It's literally a trailer. I'm not worrying about spoilers for a commercial.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular

Except that's also a spoiler for the movie itself, for those (like me) who don't plan on watching the trailer.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It should be noted that the official D23 teaser (that was posted in the Star Wars thread) didn't have the super spoilery screengrab.

I hate outlets that re-upload trailers.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    There was like... Nothing in that trailer. I can't tell if I should be glad or upset by that. I know it's Star Wars and people will see it anyway I was just hoping they'd actually talk about what's happening in the movie.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    There was like... Nothing in that trailer. I can't tell if I should be glad or upset by that. I know it's Star Wars and people will see it anyway I was just hoping they'd actually talk about what's happening in the movie.

Star Wars trailers by design excite me. This is the first one that really... disappointed. It didn't hit nostalgia buttons, the new stuff wasn't interesting, and
    Rey's saber, as shown, is just stupid. The only thing that made me excited was the Rey/Kylo fight with the waves crashing around them.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The first still of Rey's saber I saw I assumed it was a bad photo shop as a joke along the lines of the light saber escalation video that's been around for a while.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Star Wars trailers by design excite me. This is the first one that really... disappointed. It didn't hit nostalgia buttons, the new stuff wasn't interesting, and
    Rey's saber, as shown, is just stupid. The only thing that made me excited was the Rey/Kylo fight with the waves crashing around them.
    Yeah the switchblade lightsaber is so cringey.

• Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Except that's also a spoiler for the movie itself, for those (like me) who don't plan on watching the trailer.

Look, there's no rule about spoilering trailers for movies in the movie trailer thread. If a mod wants me to go back and tag it I will but that seems pretty asinine to me. I'm sorry you saw a commercial for a movie in the commercials for movie thread.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    The first still of Rey's saber I saw I assumed it was a bad photo shop as a joke along the lines of the light saber escalation video that's been around for a while.

It's like a switchblade or a knife you pull open by flicking your wrist. That's the vibe I get from it at least :) She's bad to the bone, da na na na na

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    American Horror Story: 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wcEiFIM3mM

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Shouldn't all of the prequel clips have been before the original trilogy clips?

I guess it was speaking directly to the fans, but the narration seemed like it was in-universe so didn't fit to me

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

They're going to do like razor companies and come out with a 5 blade saber next.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

They're going to do like razor companies and come out with a 5 blade saber next.

Yeah but the kyber crystal refills cost $Corellia.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I want a sentient lightsaber that's just pure evil.

Like one that Palpatine's mentor just threw one day with enough anger to make it self aware.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Look I thought Kylo's saber was dumb when I first saw it too. But it fits really well! I'm willing to give Rey's a chance.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

I am confused.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    skeldare wrote: »

I just wish it didn't look so... crisp? Like, do more to make it look 80s besides outfits and sets.

I want it to look like THIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

I'm still hoping there is a framing story/epilogue where he's at Arkham telling this story, and at the end someone points out that it wasn't the same life story he told the last time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The King, new Netflix real movie coming this fall about King Henry V, starring Call Me By Your Name and Sparkly Vampire Batman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJnsTx-TBg

Looks good, but King Henry really needs to do some push ups, brah. Hopefully it's on par with Outlaw King released last year, and if so Netflix could make a solid play for cornering the fall english history biopic market.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

I'm still hoping there is a framing story/epilogue where he's at Arkham telling this story, and at the end someone points out that it wasn't the same life story he told the last time.

KEYZER SOZE!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Joker final trailer.

script spoilers
    he's talking to a psychiatrist in both the beginning and ending, but not the same one; the one at the end is at Arkham though. he also hallucinates a cat throughout the whole movie (it doesn't have a reflection) so what you see on screen could also possibly be a hallucination, so they did add a bit of that. Also, a lot of the plot is about him trying to figure out who he is and where he came from

Zavian on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    TexiKen wrote: »

Looks good, but King Henry really needs to do some push ups, brah.
    Henry of Monmouth was a complicated guy.

He was physically built like Richard II (a frail aesthete) but wanted to (and for 9 years, successfully did) throw his nuts around Europe like Richard I or Edward III. A deeply pious warmonger, who is outdone only by Henry VII (in English regnal history) in the number of masses for their souls they endowed be said for them.

The haircut speaks for itself though, he was a shorn prick.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Aeronauts Trailer #1:

https://youtu.be/wlTkICTkAM8

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Zavian wrote: »
    Joker final trailer.

script spoilers
    he's talking to a psychiatrist in both the beginning and ending, but not the same one; the one at the end is at Arkham though. he also hallucinates a cat throughout the whole movie (it doesn't have a reflection) so what you see on screen could also possibly be a hallucination, so they did add a bit of that. Also, a lot of the plot is about him trying to figure out who he is and where he came from
    It's not the Killing Joke reference that it needs, but at least that sounds like the unreliable narration that we deserve.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The Aeronauts Trailer #1:

https://youtu.be/wlTkICTkAM8

and to think, they still can't predict what the weather will be three days from now... YOU'VE WASTED YOUR LIFE BALOONISTS!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

That feels like they're super channeling 70s cinema, especially like Taxi Driver

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Coin is still spinning in the air for this one, I don't think it'll be great but I hope it is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxy8udgWRmo

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Coin is still spinning in the air for this one, I don't think it'll be great but I hope it is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxy8udgWRmo

Well Ted, I'm quite cynical as you know. I don't think it will be, there may be a swerve of some kind, but the main villain Terminator and the main resistance lady look bland and I think there are (what seems like) too many central characters for them to have proper arcs. Unless it's 3 hours long. Robert Patrick in the police uniform looked like a robot laser-guided shark on land, the new guy is just dressed like he was going to the shop. I don't think it'll end up impressive, but reviews will say that Linda Hamilton was amazing. There's probably too much damage been done to to the brand for it to do well either way.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Feel like I've seen the whole movie already

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    To be honest, I love the franchise enough and those characters that I'll see it regardless of if it is garbage or not.

I did genuinely enjoy Genesis though, even if it wasn't a good movie.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It definitely has that feeling of apocalyptic tension that was missing from 3/Salvation/Genesys, which felt 'light-hearted' or silly somehow. This seems to have the same sense of pending doom that T1 and T2 did.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtpBbRsNr-M

That Captain Phillips joke gets me every time I hear it

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    https://youtu.be/tL4McUzXfFI

New trailer with a bit more story. Cant wait...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh no, I'm going to cry a lot at this movie aren't I?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Holy crap, this looks amazing.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Is this JoJo going to fight Pillar Men in Italy?

edit: Jexi could be interesting and I wonder if Rose Byrne is trying to monopolize female robot voice, I just cringe when I see San Francisco tech guy, it's as bad as girl in NYC working at a magazine trying to have it all. And you'd think this being an R movie they would actually trash San Francisco for being full of shit, but probably not.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is this JoJo going to fight Pillar Men in Italy?

zn5a4b5oj21e.png
    With German science!

This discussion has been closed.