Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The ACLU won a thing against the wall by the way. Not sure what the details are as far as how much territory this covered.
    BREAKING: We just won our motion on behalf of the @SierraClub and @SBCCoalition to block the illegal construction of Trump’s border wall. Construction using money illegally diverted under the president’s emergency declaration was set to begin as soon as tomorrow.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The typical mix truck costs about $1000. On civil projects, you have about ninety minutes from the time it is batched (put into the truck) to pour it or it gets rejected as unusable. And, of course, the hotter the temperature, the lower that time gets.

That video screams bullshit in everything but recommending cast-in-place for construction. Even if their temporary plants sourced usable material, this is just a tremendous environmental catastrophe in the waiting. They'll just leave the dig pits behind pocmarking the landscape.

And where exactly will they source the billions of gallons of water needed to create the mix?

It's all so fucking pathetic.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It’s also horrifying to see actual videos of this xenophobic thing being unironically pimped out

It is so far against everything I was brought up to stand for

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    Well we know which shitty company is probably giving Trump some sort of kickback if he ever gets his shitty way built. Also someone probably should look into Cramer's finances, since the fucker probably taking a kickback as well.

Grift while the grifting's good. Apparently that Wall gofundme hired them too:
    Even as Trump pushes for his firm, Fisher already has started building a section of fencing in Sunland Park, N.M. We Build the Wall, a nonprofit that includes prominent conservatives who support the president — its associates and advisory board include former White House adviser Stephen K. Bannon, Blackwater USA founder Erik Prince, ex-congressman Tom Tancredo and former Kansas secretary of state Kris Kobach

Edit: Brilliant. They also built one (?) of those prototypes that failed to withstand consumer-grade tools.

Edit 2: Found a video of their proposed process.
    I guess theirs was probably just a climbable one, given it's 30' of poured concrete.

Getting all that water and aggregate there seems a lot costlier than preformed panels? Idk, I am not a constructor.

Also:

While I dig their method, as methods go (2:10 below), doesn't building a nice easy slope right to the top on the other side (5:55) just make it way less intimidating to climb (and require half as many ladders)?

*snip*

Oh boy a 29 foot berm and a road, that sounds cheap

So, just going with the whole berm idea...

29 feet tall. 24 feet wide. And...uh...hang on, let me Google Earth measure the distance of the US/Mexico border... 1500 miles (+/- a couple hundred for all the windy bits I glossed over).

Not counting the sloped portion (so just a block with enough to cover the roadway), that comes out to over 5.5 billion cubic feet of earth that's going to need to be moved just for the road portion. Depending on the angle of the berm (looks like they're showing about a 30-35 degree slope in their little animatic), so can probably safely add another 2 billion cubic feet on top of that. Let's just convert all of that to cubic meters so we can compare it to another great earth-moving project: 213 million cubic meters (rounding up since it was 212 and change).

To put that in comparison, the entirety of the Panama Canal required 205 million cubic meters (again, rounded up since it was 204 and change) of earth to be removed.

So basically, it sounds like somebody put the notion in Trump's head that if he goes with this plan that it'll give the US bragging rights to having the largest earth moving project in the last hundred (or is it two now?) years. That's also totally ignoring the loss of life that happened during the construction of the Panama Canal. Holy crap...there are so many people who are going to die during the construction of this thing (and that's not counting only the people seeking asylum!)

DISCLAIMER - this is all very rough napkin math with a LOT of assumptions.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The typical mix truck costs about $1000. On civil projects, you have about ninety minutes from the time it is batched (put into the truck) to pour it or it gets rejected as unusable. And, of course, the hotter the temperature, the lower that time gets.

That video screams bullshit in everything but recommending cast-in-place for construction. Even if their temporary plants sourced usable material, this is just a tremendous environmental catastrophe in the waiting. They'll just leave the dig pits behind pocmarking the landscape.

And where exactly will they source the billions of gallons of water needed to create the mix?

Fun with numbers, and water:
    So, Google says a 6000psi mix would need a 0.41 water ratio; or ~23gal/cy

The closest cross section of 30' cantilever wall I could drum up was for an 8m wall in a textbook. The wall portion worked out to 4.3yds, or 99 gallons/yd, which is pretty close

Say 100, so every 100' section is 3,333 gallons of water, and their plan calls for 4/day/site so 13,3333gal /day/site, or a smallish swimming pool +footing and form cleanup, which could more than double it for the retaining wall version, per a drawing in math text book.

So at >33/gal/ft*700 miles that would seem to be at least 125 million gallons.

Visual aid, a 55gal drum is 33" wide. So you'd have to overlap to one every 20" along the wall, then maybe stack them two high for the berm sections

I couldn't help but notice that the wall in my reference drawing was sloped toward the berm.

https://www.chegg.com/homework-help/principles-of-foundation-engineering-7th-edition-chapter-8-solutions-9781111787097

But the video says the battered side of the wall is the northern face, and the vertical side is the southern face.

From an engineering standpoint, wouldn't they need to make the easier-to-climb sloped side facing south in the road sections so the 30' berm on the north side isn't threatening to snap it off at the base?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It makes me laugh in a bad way, that a few people here have apparently put more thought into this project than the people who are in charge of it did.

I skimmed the video, but did they cover the light sourcing requirement? Or has that requirement since been dropped?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

The closest cross section of 30' cantilever wall I could drum up was for an 8m wall in a textbook. The wall portion worked out to 4.3yds, or 99 gallons/yd, which is pretty close

Say 100, so every 100' section is 3,333 gallons of water, and their plan calls for 4/day/site so 13,3333gal /day/site, or a smallish swimming pool +footing and form cleanup, which could more than double it for the retaining wall version, per a drawing in math text book.

Visual aid, a 55gal drum is 33" wide. So you'd have to overlap to one every 20" along the wall, then maybe stack them two high for the berm sections

I couldn't help but notice that the wall in my reference drawing was sloped toward the berm.

https://www.chegg.com/homework-help/principles-of-foundation-engineering-7th-edition-chapter-8-solutions-9781111787097

But the video says the battered side of the wall is the northern face, and the vertical side is the southern face.

From an engineering standpoint, wouldn't they need to make the easier-to-climb sloped side facing south in the road sections so the 30' berm on the north side isn't threatening to snap it off at the base?

Not being an engineer, I don't really know. I suspect that with a large enough footer (the horizontal slab poured under the wall) you could backfill the sloped side. But, no. That isn't how it's usually done.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    It makes me laugh in a bad way, that a few people here have apparently put more thought into this project than the people who are in charge of it did.

I skimmed the video, but did they cover the light sourcing requirement? Or has that requirement since been dropped?

I’m sure they know. It’s just that they don’t care cause it’s not about effectiveness or efficiency, it’s all about the grift baby!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

I’m sure they know. It’s just that they don’t care cause it’s not about effectiveness or efficiency, it’s all about the grift baby!

Yeah it's the most absurd, extravagant, nearly physically impossible building plan because that way they can charge the government for the money to build it, and also it's ridiculous enough that it'll never be finished so those charges go on indefinitely.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Yeah it's the most absurd, extravagant, nearly physically impossible building plan because that way they can charge the government for the money to build it, and also it's ridiculous enough that it'll never be finished so those charges go on indefinitely.

Especially given, if they're so confident in their work, they're only offering a 2 yr guarantee (10 years with the extended warranty), it's got the look of a perpetual project.

I wonder if that guarantee is per panel completion or on full project completion? Also, how long they say it'll take to complete? I'm imaging it's a Money Pit-esque "two weeks".

• Options
    My final comment on that terrible video is that with my experience in making cast-in-place walls is that there are so many things they just glossed over wholesale in an attempt to get in on the graft. There are so many things needed to know about how they would do all of this, let alone deal with the remote and/or impassable locations, that I just can't settle on anything.

I stand by my assessment from last night: that video is bullshit. Through and through.

Not to say that building such a wall is impossible. Just that what they are presenting is intended to convince the idiots in charge that Fantasyland is indeed real.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So uh

did we miss this one a few days ago?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/trump-insurrection-act-military-troops-police-ice.html
    The Donald Trump presidency, marked by cruelty, corruption, and disdain for the rule of law, has been disastrous for our democracy. If there is one silver lining, it is this: Trump’s abuses have exposed weaknesses in our laws and institutions that were previously hidden and which we can now begin to try to fix. We learned about one such weakness in February, when Trump relied on the National Emergencies Act to commandeer funding Congress had specifically denied for the construction of a border wall. The latest such legal loophole is another emergency power that could enable the president to turn the military into his own immigration police force.

According to a report in the Daily Caller last week, the Trump administration is considering invoking the Insurrection Act to give federal troops the power to detain and remove undocumented immigrants in the United States, acting essentially as Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. The White House, when asked about the option last week, refused to rule it out.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Fantastic, how bout we also bring back the Alien and Sedition Acts and let the tyrannical dipshit flag fly.

If anyone needs me, I'll be spending the next little bit head butting a wall.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Was the administration considering this before they were asked about it or not? If you asked the admin if they were considering National Free Shrimp Fridays they wouldn’t rule it out.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Was the administration considering this before they were asked about it or not? If you asked the admin if they were considering National Free Shrimp Fridays they wouldn’t rule it out.

Whether Trump or a member of his staff (Stephen Miller, anyone?) had the idea themselves before being asked about it at this point is immaterial, it would be right up their alley. It's just the sort of strong arm tactic that Andrew Jackson used (He did use the Insurrection act of 1807 during the eviction of Cherokee and Creek Indians from places like Tennessee and Georgia) and they'd love to use as a show of "toughness".

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

Slate's link to the Daily Caller article originating it indicates it is something the administration is forwarding themselves, unprompted.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    So uh

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/trump-insurrection-act-military-troops-police-ice.html
    The Donald Trump presidency, marked by cruelty, corruption, and disdain for the rule of law, has been disastrous for our democracy. If there is one silver lining, it is this: Trump’s abuses have exposed weaknesses in our laws and institutions that were previously hidden and which we can now begin to try to fix. We learned about one such weakness in February, when Trump relied on the National Emergencies Act to commandeer funding Congress had specifically denied for the construction of a border wall. The latest such legal loophole is another emergency power that could enable the president to turn the military into his own immigration police force.

According to a report in the Daily Caller last week, the Trump administration is considering invoking the Insurrection Act to give federal troops the power to detain and remove undocumented immigrants in the United States, acting essentially as Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. The White House, when asked about the option last week, refused to rule it out.

So how is that not a violation of the Posse Comitatus Act?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Trump loves himself some Andrew Jackson.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So uh

Insurrection Act is designed to supersede it, because of the nature and severity of the threat it is meant to address.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    So uh

Insurrection Act is designed to supersede it, because of the nature and severity of the threat it is meant to address.

Yep, but it is also assuming a level of threat equivalent to shelling Fort Sumter, not asking a border agent for some paperwork.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    So uh

Yep, but it is also assuming a level of threat equivalent to shelling Fort Sumter, not asking a border agent for some paperwork.

He'll claim it's a national emergency and nobody will be able to do shit about it.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I work with concrete construction. It can take eight hours* to pour 450cy or concrete using a 40' pump truck and two trucks at a time. (450cy is also roughly 45 trucks). These trucks have to come from a plant that produces said concrete and then travel back and forth from the site and plant.

The short of it is that the infrastructure alone to support the operation will be greater than the building of the wall itself.

This is a thing that cannot be done as described by the the idiot demanding it be done. Everybody else involved is just trying to get in on the graft while the getting is good.

*Speed of pour to be modified by a) location of plant, b) number of trucks and drivers available, c) traffic, d) mechanical failure.

(Also, for funsies, concrete that is poured at an internal temperature greater than 95 degrees has a much higher chance of failure. Good thing it doesn't get hot along the border. Of course, you could add ice to the mix, but then too much water also negatively affects the final results.)

Most tieless wall forms can't be poured faster than 600psf, which is around 4' of liquid head. Depending on how long it takes to solidify, your pour could end up being slower than 1foot per hour.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Well they were eliminated on past performance, so who knows if they even read the requirements before they drew it up.

Not being an engineer, I don't really know. I suspect that with a large enough footer (the horizontal slab poured under the wall) you could backfill the sloped side. But, no. That isn't how it's usually done.

Oh, that makes sense. The weight of the earth is probably going to tip it over long before it buckles; so a extending the footer under it fixes that. (And doubles the amount of concrete per that diagram)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    So, not sure if this belongs here or in the Foreign Policy thread (since this administration seems to relish in multiball levels of horribleness), but it sounds like Trump's favorite thing is tariffs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48469408

The short of it: Trump is going to enact tariffs (starting at 5% for the first month, and increasing 5% every month until it hits 25% in October) on all goods from Mexico "unless and until Mexico substantially stops the illegal inflow of aliens coming through its territory" (quote pulled from the article).

Source: BBC is a news agency

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, not sure if this belongs here or in the Foreign Policy thread (since this administration seems to relish in multiball levels of horribleness), but it sounds like Trump's favorite thing is tariffs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48469408

The short of it: Trump is going to enact tariffs (starting at 5% for the first month, and increasing 5% every month until it hits 25% in October) on all goods from Mexico "unless and until Mexico substantially stops the illegal inflow of aliens coming through its territory" (quote pulled from the article).

Source: BBC is a news agency

I feel like that's something he can't do?

didn't he just "negotiate" a slightly different NAFTA?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Probably the economy thread?

Also, are there any waivers? Because auto manufacturers are going to hit the roof

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Probably the economy thread?

Also, are there any waivers? Because auto manufacturers are going to hit the roof

So many threads it touches on:

It's about the economy
    It's also being spun as being something to do about making the Mexican government do something about the migrants passing through Mexico to get through the southern US border (what that 'something' is, who knows...but we're going to punish Mexico for not doing it!)

EDIT - but yes, I agree with both you and Xaquin asked: Can he really do that? And holy shit, so many manufacturers are going to ballistic on that.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He can - tariffs are one of the things that he can do without having to ask anyone, or deal with the courts - and so he does, because it allows him to rule by imperial decree and act like he's some Tough Negotiator.
    Fucking up the rest of the country / the economy in the process, but that's insignificant compared to feeding his needy ego.

• Options
    So far all of his unilateral tariffs have been through national defense/emergency claims to slide by WTO rules. This is one that would likely have better traction in the courts to say no, Mexico is not a national security threat.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The unrestricted flow of brown people into the US is totally a threat to good decent white people national security.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So far all of his unilateral tariffs have been through national defense/emergency claims to slide by WTO rules. This is one that would likely have better traction in the courts to say no, Mexico is not a national security threat.

none of them have been an actual emergency

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I know, but being relatively targeted makes it arguably harder to call bullshit. Though I haven't been following things closely. Does anyone know what's up with the inevitable court challenges with all of these?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I know, but being relatively targeted makes it arguably harder to call bullshit. Though I haven't been following things closely. Does anyone know what's up with the inevitable court challenges with all of these?

More specifically, does NAFTA trump the law that allows "national emergency" tariffs?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It really doesn't matter if NAFTA allows it or not, Who's to stop Trump from doing it?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter if NAFTA allows it or not, Who's to stop Trump from doing it?

The court system.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

The court system.

Which one?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tariffs on Canada were previously placed as part of a national emergency, too.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

This one strikes me as easier to justify on those bullshit grounds. Call the "hordes flooding across our borders" a national security issue, boom, done.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

This one strikes me as easier to justify on those bullshit grounds. Call the "hordes flooding across our borders" a national security issue, boom, done.

I believe the national security (not emergency) rationale has to apply to the effect of the tariff. The steel/aluminum tarrifs were based on a report saying it was necessary to engage in protectionism to bolster our domestic production capacity of those things in case the ruskies invade... I don't know, Canada?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    So uh

He'll claim it's a national emergency and nobody will be able to do shit about it.

Invoking the Insurrection Act sure as fuck is gonna get some attention in a not good way

That might as well be a "we're under attack and it's time to suspend habeas corpus" thing

This discussion has been closed.