As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]WE DID IT TEAM, HE'S ON VACATION

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
edited August 2018 in Social Entropy++
this is the thread where we talk about how we must toil to afford basic necessities like food and shelter, because capitalism sucks.

3cl1ps3 on

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That's why I poop on company time.

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    does anyone know a way for me to be updated somehow when a google drive folder has something added to it? I can't find one, and I really need to know when things are uploaded to this folder without manually having to check.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    does anyone know a way for me to be updated somehow when a google drive folder has something added to it? I can't find one, and I really need to know when things are uploaded to this folder without manually having to check.

I think this Chrome extension should handle what you're looking for: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/folder-notifications-free/kamobdfmffnagenochfnopbignbkbppp?hl=en-US

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

I don't even use google drive but google tells me there's a chrome extension for that:

https://www.bettercloud.com/monitor/the-academy/google-drive-folder-notifications/

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Hey Job thread, been a while since I checked in on one of these. How's everyone doing, vocationally-speaking?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I woke up mad about a thing and I talked it through with a coworker over lunch and now I'm less mad about a thing but I'm still unmotivated, burnt out, and exhausted.

I need to get out of town for a bit tbh.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If you're looking for a phone notification, IFTTT has Drive integration and is very good.

EDIT: Not sure if there's a specific recipe for what you're looking for exactly, but you might be able to hook it up

Goose! on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Hey Job thread, been a while since I checked in on one of these. How's everyone doing, vocationally-speaking?

not great, bob

Shorty on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I woke up mad about a thing and I talked it through with a coworker over lunch and now I'm less mad about a thing but I'm still unmotivated, burnt out, and exhausted.

Come to Austin!

• Options
    I'm reeeeeaaaaaaal wary of giving an extension access to my google drive for work. Is that paranoid?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Come to Austin!

Go to Austin!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Threadly reminder: Job thread, take your vacation!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'm reeeeeaaaaaaal wary of giving an extension access to my google drive for work. Is that paranoid?

Test it w/ some other Drive and see if it's doing anything sketchy?

• Options

I can strongly relate to this. I'm hoping my self-discipline holds out until PAX

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube what are the rules on swears in thread titles because I have an idea but also don't want to do a bad

• Options
    I do want to take a holiday, it's a bit hard to sort out the next six weeks because I have to move house. Then in September deadlines start happening and work pressure builds up, etc etc. But I shouldn't let myself go through to Christmas without any time off.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    University deadlines are stressful so I spent the day cuddling my nephew and I feel less stressed.

• Options
    I do want to take a holiday, it's a bit hard to sort out the next six weeks because I have to move house. Then in September deadlines start happening and work pressure builds up, etc etc. But I shouldn't let myself go through to Christmas without any time off.

Oof yeah I know how that goes. Hope you can work it out--breaks are good, especially if things are set to get more stressful soon.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Tube what are the rules on swears in thread titles because I have an idea but also don't want to do a bad

Depends what swear. There are no set rules but you know, be cool.

• Options
    is this acceptable

• Options
    man, my mom might say this

• Options
    trying to decide if I want to spend a day at a molecular robotics conference.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    is this acceptable

I dunno, Tube might feel personally attacked.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Still working and hoping for the benevolent alien invasion that will uplift us into a utopian society, kinda like the Culture.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

i am your mom

hello son

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Nah I am extremely skeptical of extensions because of what they can access to begin with. I try to stick to ones that are well known, but even that's a crapshoot for stuff because of what happened with stylish recently.

Unfortunately there's no good way to do this.

There's not even a good extension for it either because of the way extensions work.

Best way I could think of something working is an app that sits on your PC and watches the google drive folder via their API and fires off an email when it finds a change. But that requires the PC being on too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    FF wrote:
    Freaking out a little bit (a lot). My wife has an interview at UC Berkeley later today and if she gets the job it'll be a pretty significant increase in pay, plus their benefits are crazy good, and she's got friends there she would be working with.

Also, they has a program that helps encourage your spouse/partner to follow you and work there as well. 8-)

She got the joerb!

It also turns out that she knows like 5 different people who either work directly with the department she'll be in, or who work in closely related departments to hers.

Huh...
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »

Still working and hoping for the benevolent alien invasion that will uplift us into a utopian society, kinda like the Culture.

I think about this sort of thing a lot.

Although lately the fantasy's hewed more in a "take matters into my own hands" direction

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

i am your mom

hello son

Soooo, is there a Mr Shorty?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    is this acceptable

Only in Europe

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

i am your mom

hello son

yeah, he's friends with Marty Robbins

• Options

i am your mom

hello son

there have been many Mr Shortys

• Options

i am your mom

hello son

there have been many Mr Shortys

The real Mr Shorty has been retired fifteen years and living like a king in Patagonia

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have sent several emails over the last few days to same group of people where the subtext, increasingly becoming just text is, "I told you so".

Their hair is on fire about a thing for a big go-live this weekend and I don't think they noticed that i was very loudly telling not to light it weeks ago, and then offering them a fire extinguisher last week.

Suddenly now they're like, okay let's hear your plan.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I was asked to show one of the grad students how to use an instrument - the TOC analyzer.
    This instrument had not been used in years, and I haven't used this brand of TOC analyzer before... I've used others, and am quite familiar with them. But everyone likes to do their own thing, and there are all sorts of consumables and pieces to deal with.
    I was able to find a manual- I just hope it's for this version of the instrument, and not some later version.
    But the instrument itself... There was a thick layer of dust on it. The thing turned on, and appeared to be hooked up to a computer. Cleaned it off, so far so good. But the computer didn't have a mouse. I go to look for one, and find a really old one... Very dirty scroll wheel.. I take the mouse apart to clean it, and manage to get it working. I am a tech genius.
    Now to get the carrier gas hooked up and try to get it actually running......

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm very sleepy today, which is weird because I actually went to bed about an hour earlier than I did the previous night

I had my one cup of coffee and it didn't help much, trying desperately to not have a second because I know that will end badly

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A gentleman was caught writing in our copy of Fumio Demura's Karate Weapons of Self-Defense:
    Martial Commandment
    #1 No eating! Only drink lots of water, orange juice, cranberry grape juice, apple juice, sodas, V8
    #2 No smoking. Smoking makes you slow & rigid & makes you stiff.
    #3 No pooping.

Seems like it might be tough to draw students to your dojo with that kind of regimen, but I guess that's why I'm not the sensei here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'm very sleepy today, which is weird because I actually went to bed about an hour earlier than I did the previous night

I had my one cup of coffee and it didn't help much, trying desperately to not have a second because I know that will end badly

Smash cut to Mori waking up in the woods, naked, surrounded by feathers and absolutely covered in barbecue sauce.

"not again..."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    A gentleman was caught writing in our copy of Fumio Demura's Karate Weapons of Self-Defense:
    Martial Commandment
    #1 No eating! Only drink lots of water, orange juice, cranberry grape juice, apple juice, sodas, V8
    #2 No smoking. Smoking makes you slow & rigid & makes you stiff.
    #3 No pooping.

Seems like it might be tough to draw students to your dojo with that kind of regimen, but I guess that's why I'm not the sensei here.

#2 is sound advice, I dunno about #1 or #3 though.

This discussion has been closed.