As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]WE DID IT TEAM, HE'S ON VACATION

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    A gentleman was caught writing in our copy of Fumio Demura's Karate Weapons of Self-Defense:
    Martial Commandment
    #1 No eating! Only drink lots of water, orange juice, cranberry grape juice, apple juice, sodas, V8
    #2 No smoking. Smoking makes you slow & rigid & makes you stiff.
    #3 No pooping.

Seems like it might be tough to draw students to your dojo with that kind of regimen, but I guess that's why I'm not the sensei here.

Doing number one is going to lead to way more three than they have accounted for.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    For a company of approx. 80-100 employees, how large would you expect the finance/HR team to be?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Bobble wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    I woke up mad about a thing and I talked it through with a coworker over lunch and now I'm less mad about a thing but I'm still unmotivated, burnt out, and exhausted.

I need to get out of town for a bit tbh.

Threadly reminder: Job thread, take your vacation!

I have to request my vacation a year in advance to find out the month before that they only approved 1 of 3 days, because that doesn't count as denying vacation.

It's one of the main reasons experienced people leave this department.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I woke up mad about a thing and I talked it through with a coworker over lunch and now I'm less mad about a thing but I'm still unmotivated, burnt out, and exhausted.

‘What vacation’ asks many U.S. employees :(
    FF wrote: »
    FF wrote:
    Freaking out a little bit (a lot). My wife has an interview at UC Berkeley later today and if she gets the job it'll be a pretty significant increase in pay, plus their benefits are crazy good, and she's got friends there she would be working with.

Also, they has a program that helps encourage your spouse/partner to follow you and work there as well. 8-)

She got the joerb!

It also turns out that she knows like 5 different people who either work directly with the department she'll be in, or who work in closely related departments to hers.

Woohoo!!! Huge congrats to her!!!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    For a company of approx. 80-100 employees, how large would you expect the finance/HR team to be?

3-4?

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

FF wrote: »
    FF wrote:
    Freaking out a little bit (a lot). My wife has an interview at UC Berkeley later today and if she gets the job it'll be a pretty significant increase in pay, plus their benefits are crazy good, and she's got friends there she would be working with.

Also, they has a program that helps encourage your spouse/partner to follow you and work there as well. 8-)

She got the joerb!

It also turns out that she knows like 5 different people who either work directly with the department she'll be in, or who work in closely related departments to hers.

Woohoo!!! Huge congrats to her!!!

Gonna make all the bear related puns now.

Huh...
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Is it common to have those functions combined at smaller/medium sized companies? That strikes me as odd.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Listening to Nekrogoblikon at work is pretty great.

• Options

Is it common to have those functions combined at smaller/medium sized companies? That strikes me as odd.

Yes. I’ve never even worked at a company that has a HR department.

Usually it’s left to the accounting team because they’re handling payroll/benefits.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yes. HR translates in part to "Payroll" which requires them to understand a little bit of accounting. If there already there they can file invoices and other kinds of tasks.

The other issue that HR otherwise translates as "Hires folks, pays folks, maybe documents training folks" for small companies.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

...Increasingly I think the US needs an intervention.

Maybe the rest of the world can swing by and explain things like:

- Your workers are less productive if you don't let them take a vacation
    - Your workers are less productive if you work them stupidly long hours and don't give them breaks/lunch
    - Your workers are less productive if you make them come to work when they're sick and/or fire them if they call in sick
    - Your workers are less productive if they aren't able to go to the hospital without declaring bankrupcy

Most other developed countries have their governments step in on literally all these fronts: to provide laws to stop companies from doing the first three things, which actually hurt both the companies and the workers at the same time for no benefit, and to provide the fourth thing for mostly-free to everybody.

Like...there's no competitive advantage here, America. We get that you like to be all Capitalist and all, but screwing over people for no reason just to screw people over isn't helping you or anyone. Stop it and be better. Make America Good Again.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

- Your workers are less productive if you work them stupidly long hours and don't give them breaks/lunch
    - Your workers are less productive if you make them come to work when they're sick and/or fire them if they call in sick
    - Your workers are less productive if they aren't able to go to the hospital without declaring bankrupcy

Most other developed countries have their governments step in on literally all these fronts: to provide laws to stop companies from doing the first three things, which actually hurt both the companies and the workers at the same time for no benefit, and to provide the fourth thing for mostly-free to everybody.

Like...there's no competitive advantage here, America. We get that you like to be all Capitalist and all, but screwing over people for no reason just to screw people over isn't helping you or anyone. Stop it and be better. Make America Good Again.

America has never been good in that respect. Also the companies here do not give a flying fuck about what makes workers more productive in a way that doesn't make them more money. They can just hire more, shove an endless wave through the meatgrinder and not have to change at all. And if the company starts to teeter those at the top can jump off with enough riches to fund several lifetimes.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I think it really depends on the volume of work expected of the department, there's no one size fits all rule for it. Figure out how much work there is to do and then add the appropriate number of bodies, making sure to pad it so that things don't explode if one person takes a week off or gets sick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have tired to take my vacation time this year.
    First my birthday. didn't get it
    the first week of May didn't get it
    This week did not get it. Because I have to fake it as support at the hell I work at.
    This is one of the many reasons I feel like an idiot for taking it as they dangle the job in front of me belittle me for doing better than they do with the same problem and many other things.
    I just want to crawl into a hole at times and not come out. I want my vacation but they will give it to me siting we need you to cover the job.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I have been anxiously awaiting each paycheck because my "emergency fund" was depleted by half due to my moving apartments and furnishing this place...it's not dangerously low, but it's at half of what I like to have in there, so it's anxiety-inducing.

But I just got contacted by some freelance people I did work for in the past, so hurrah! Might be able to get back to my "safe number" sooner than expected.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »

America has never been good in that respect. Also the companies here do not give a flying fuck about what makes workers more productive in a way that doesn't make them more money. They can just hire more, shove an endless wave through the meatgrinder and not have to change at all. And if the company starts to teeter those at the top can jump off with enough riches to fund several lifetimes.

But...they can have the same workforce paid the same amount, give them vacation time and breaks and sick time... and make more money. I would have to dig around and find the studies to actually prove it, but all of these things let people do better work, have to do less rework, make less mistakes, just... be more productive and make them more money.

There is a tipping point where making people do more work hours makes you less money, and many workers are being allowed well past that tipping point.... literally working more hours so that they can deliver less value. It's crazy and counterproductive and stupid.

And not just number of hours... making people come in when they're sick so that they make other employees and/or customers sick, work less effectively and just generally drag things down far more than staying home for a couple days. Still crazy, stupid and counterproductive.

I can sort of understand "I will wring every last cent out of my workers"... but this is "I will wring every last cent out of my workers and then pay to keep wringing just for the heck of it".

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

10 years at the company got me a fourth week, so that's nice (and apparently some people have to use vacation for sick days? Thankfully we don't)

Curious what everyone else's vacation situation is.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I get 3 weeks my first year and 4 every year after (plus any days the university is closed for holidays, weather, etc), with unlimited sick time and 3 personal leave days a year.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

10 years at the company got me a fourth week, so that's nice (and apparently some people have to use vacation for sick days? Thankfully we don't)

At my company, new hires get 5 days per year (after the first 6 months) that you can use for personal days/vacations/sick days. No dedicated sick days.

I currently get 10 days per year, as I've been here a few years. Going to get bumped to 12 days a year in about another year, I believe.

Eh.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

We have one of each

That seems doable, just. Just one person in accounting is never a great idea (unless it’s a really tiny company) because then you don’t have a system of checks and balances.
    Elvenshae wrote: »

3-4?

That’s what I’d expect myself. Of course, Bay Area startups sometimes had 3-4 people for companies of 20 employees; way too many and we were often bored out of our minds, unless we were trying to raise funds.
    Daimar wrote: »

I think it really depends on the volume of work expected of the department, there's no one size fits all rule for it. Figure out how much work there is to do and then add the appropriate number of bodies, making sure to pad it so that things don't explode if one person takes a week off or gets sick.

True! I do feel overwhelmed right now; my coworker has been in the office 2 days in the past month, and that’s not enough. I still think 2 full time employees should be a minimum to allow for vacation-taking, etc.

I get 6.5 combined vacation/sick days, which is the Washington state minimum. You accrue one hour per 40 hours worked, so about 6.5 full days for a salaried employee.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My company (at least for my position and similar ones) gives two weeks (80hrs) sick time, two weeks vacation time, 2 "floating holidays" (basically just 16 more hours of vacation), and then dedicated bereavement time if needed.

jgeis on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I've never had anywhere near as much vacation/sick time as I did in the military, which was 30 days of vacation/year

I don't recall what the sick day policy was, exactly, but it was probably something like "yeah here's a number but realistically you're not going to run out unless you've got something that would require us to discharge you anyway"

Shorty on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Where I work now has unlimited sick time with the honor system, basically, and it seems like people really don't take advantage of it (which is probably true most places and is why not having unlimited sick time is stupid).

• Options
    I take way less sick time with unlimited than I did with my previous company where it was use it or lose it.

I suspect this will like, always be the cast. You'll have 1 or 2 assholes who abuse it but most people are only going to use it when sick (vs. use it or lose it where people absolutely will use it as auxiliary vacation days if they don't get sick).

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I get 10 days of vacation and 10 days of sick time, which is nice enough because at least they’re separate buckets so I can take a sick day without worrying about it impacting my vacation time.

Still wish it was more, though!

• Options
    I have to go look what vacation time I have aka PTO I know I have over 700 hours of sick time though because I have only called in twice in the entire time I have worked there.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I had get 27 days plus the ability to buy 5 more. Not sure how much that is.

And I can roll over a max of 5 days of unused annaul leave into my next years allowance. So this year I had 32 days to take.

We also get 1 working from home day a week but that has to be coordinated with the team as someone has to be in the office for "perception" reasons. Also said WFH day must be different each week.

The company let us have 2 WFH days a week but it got reduced to 1 because the fucks at head office kept taking Monday's and Fridays as WFH days. The new CEO walked noticed the place was a ghost town on Mondays and fridays.

Karl on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've been at this job for six years, so I get 3 weeks of vacation per year. You start with two weeks, and every five years you stay here you get another week, up to a maximum of five weeks. I also get 96 hours of sick leave per year, which doesn't increase with seniority. However, sick leave doesn't expire and can accrue up to a maximum of 1000 hours, so right now I've got like two months' worth banked.

There's also two floating holidays per year and nine paid holidays.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I had get 27 days plus the ability to by 5 more. Not sure how much that is.

And I can roll over a max of 5 days into my next years allowance. So this year I had 32 days to take.

We also get 1 working from home day a week but that has to be coordinated with the team as someone has to be in the office for "perception" reasons. Also said WFH day must be different each week.

The company let us have 2 WFH days a week but it got reduced to 1 because the fucks at head office kept taking Monday's and Fridays as WFH days. The new CEO walked noticed the place was a ghost town on Mondays and fridays.

So you've coordinated with someone to take Friday one week and Monday the following right? So you get a 4 day stretch not being at the office? :)

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'm at 160 hours bankable, plus three floating holidays. I live in a state that forbids use or lose, so capping means I lose accruals. Basically, I'm at the point where every 2-3 weeks, I need to take a day off.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My boss just keeps letting me take Thursdays from home. I'm not even trying to hide the fact I'm doing it so I can make it to both the gym and a remote pathfinder session after work... dude isn't even asking me why I want to work from home. WTF is this life?

Sleep on
  • Options
    Oh in March I get paid out of what time I did not use of my vacation
    I know by the accrual rate I earn a day every week I work and they pay out everything over 40 I earned and did not use.
    So it's a nice paycheck that is taxed to hell.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    15 vacation days, getting 1 more day a year for each year you work. Not sure the cap, but it's a large number. 20 sick days. 4 floating holidays. And a boatload of holidays ( I get both Lincoln and Washington's birthday off, not just President's day) 3 days bereivement leave if needed. 6 weeks maternity/ paternity, I think?

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    We used to have a policy where you could bank your vacation time as much as you wanted. But then accounting got nervous that there were people with 100s of vacations hours that they'd be on the hook for if they ever left. So they instituted a policy where you could only bank 4 weeks at a time. They gave people a heads up and a year or so to get back down to a reasonable level. We had one guy take 2 months off to get to the 160 hour cap. Another guy took every friday for basically a year off.

I work with a lot of people in Europe and in the summer it's not uncommon to have a contact be gone for a month straight. Like, they'll warn us "I'm trying to get wrapped this up by Friday before my holiday starts". It seems really nice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I've never used all of my sick time before, but I think I will this year.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Shorty wrote: »
    I've never had anywhere near as much vacation/sick time as I did in the military, which was 30 days of vacation/year

I don't recall what the sick day policy was, exactly, but it was probably something like "yeah here's a number but realistically you're not going to run out unless you've got something that would require us to discharge you anyway"

I'm Government Service now and I still miss AD leave. Once I hit use it or lose it numbers I just started taking two days off every month, happy knowing I was still banking half a day.

Sick leave is unlimited. Dr could just give you three days quarters, and anything longer was convalescent leave. I got three uncharged months off after my hip surgery, and two months after shoulder surgery.

Edit - All of the above was Military leave. Now I get earn 1.5 days leave a month, plus 1 sick day a month.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    My wife's boss is waffling about whether or not she'll be allowed to take a Friday off that she asked for months ago and already bought a plane ticket for.

Unsurprisingly, this lady just did the exact same thing to one of my wife's coworkers. Told her she can't have the day off, worker said she already paid for the ticket and wouldn't be coming in regardless. Boss said she would be put on 90 days probation where she couldn't take any vacation or get any bonuses or raises. So the worker just said screw you and quit on the spot.

• Options
    Smurph wrote: »
    My wife's boss is waffling about whether or not she'll be allowed to take a Friday off that she asked for months ago and already bought a plane ticket for.

Unsurprisingly, this lady just did the exact same thing to one of my wife's coworkers. Told her she can't have the day off, worker said she already paid for the ticket and wouldn't be coming in regardless. Boss said she would be put on 90 days probation where she couldn't take any vacation or get any bonuses or raises. So the worker just said screw you and quit on the spot.

This is a common problem where I work as they will give you the time and then take it away at the last moment
    I asked for my vacation 3+ months in advance and was told each time because you are covering the support job we need you here
    Fuck you too

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    We used to have a policy where you could bank your vacation time as much as you wanted. But then accounting got nervous that there were people with 100s of vacations hours that they'd be on the hook for if they ever left. So they instituted a policy where you could only bank 4 weeks at a time. They gave people a heads up and a year or so to get back down to a reasonable level. We had one guy take 2 months off to get to the 160 hour cap. Another guy took every friday for basically a year off.

At a previous job we had a similar situation, and one guy had to take SIX MONTHS off to get his banked vacation time back down. Except company policy said you forfeited your job if you took more than 60 days off in a row, so he was literally off for six months, but had to pop in and clock in for one day back at two different points during his half-year vacation.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    JFC this place is nuts

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.