Options

YOUTUBE thread for internet videos and stuff

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I thought it'd be catching flak for anti-trans stuff as there was a line that said something like "please help our friends as they transition to a physical body" with emphasis placed on the "transition".

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    there's an awful lot of the writers failing to read the room, basically

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's a sort of Metalocalypse joke I guess, where something good is associated with something bad because bad is good. "Melting pot" is just confusing, though, since it's a term nobody wants anymore

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm hoping id is receptive to the feedback they are already getting on these lines.

I am sure it will still be a pretty kickass game, I barely remember the hologram lines from 2016 anyway. The Doomslayer ain't got time to listen to that shit.

Hey maybe they could turn it into a commentary on itself? I mean the UAC are the bad guys, right? I wonder if there is a way they can tone down any emphasis on the bad jokes being jokes and kinda lampshade how they are actually really bad with things the doomslayer does to enemies or the environment? Like in Wolf the new colossus there were segments where BJ was in disguise on the street and you kinda had the option to overhear conversations with a nazi officer and some locals and it was more of a moment to again illustrate that these guys are the bad guys?

I dunno that is harder to do in a fictional scifi setting where you don't already have the historical baggage of the actual shit the nazis did. But I think the UAC being a kind of commentary on Neoliberalism could be neat if they did something like that.

On the other hand Anarki (the cyborg on the hoverboard) in quake champions is a one big "lol SJW snowflakes" joke with all his voice lines so...

Uriel on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    On the other hand Anarki (the cyborg on the hoverboard) in quake champions is a one big "lol SJW snowflakes" joke with all his voice lines so...

I'm gonna need that one explained, 'cause I see that character as a parody of 90's rad dude/rebellious teenager taken to the extreme.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

I'm gonna need that one explained, 'cause I see that character as a parody of 90's rad dude/rebellious teenager taken to the extreme.

at least in the beta he had joke lines bordering on being "triggered" jokes because he is "transhuman"

It made me quit quake champions forever, it was gross.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I played a whole bunch right when the champions pack came out on Steam and I don't remember any lines like that at all.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Ah this was before it was even on steam. I was running it in from the bethesda launcher, probably april of 2017.

Uriel on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I thought it'd be catching flak for anti-trans stuff as there was a line that said something like "please help our friends as they transition to a physical body" with emphasis placed on the "transition".

What is said is literally what any large faceless company says when bringing on a new hire, though.

The point is that this is a corporation more ludicrously evil than Koch Industries and Halliburton put together. It's an energy conglomerate, but the pipeline leaks they don't give a fuck about leak Devil Juice.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the problem isn't that we don't get what they're going for, my dude

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It might be my problem, try explaining again but with smaller words

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I like the idea of a demonic invasion having a PR campaign filled with ridiculous corporate speak a lot in theory

In execution they went for the most lazy, low-hanging fruit way to do it that has some shitty implications

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    New Ross's Game Dungeon!

https://youtu.be/9XOBtNSxKIw

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    some of my issue with the doom jokes is also that "corporate speak to normalize hell and demons" was also the joke in the first doom, so the onus is on them to really punch up the material if they're gonna go back to the well, and the material is in fact not punched up it is just the same

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    some of my issue with the doom jokes is also that "corporate speak to normalize hell and demons" was also the joke in the first doom, so the onus is on them to really punch up the material if they're gonna go back to the well, and the material is in fact not punched up it is just the same

they were too busy punching up all the punching up demons i guess

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    also INAGTP your new av is great btw

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    i've never had a bad avatar in my life

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Is Consentacle out yet? All I know is they did the kickstarter for it a while ago.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Is Consentacle out yet? All I know is they did the kickstarter for it a while ago.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    New Auralnauts Vid

Only when mankind has mastered his socks will he become a master of all he surveys.
    Dominate your socks TODAY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImzmlxNi0Og

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    New Auralnauts Vid

Only when mankind has mastered his socks will he become a master of all he surveys.
    Dominate your socks TODAY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImzmlxNi0Og

That is a great video that is entirely about socks and certainly about nothing else.

Like tanks. It is certainly not about tanks.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    That ASMR Miranda video is amazing.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    https://youtu.be/o0LJdhXr7L0

Noah Caldwell-Gervais revisits No Man's Sky

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    For the Harry Potter fans, or people who like mechanical engineering.
    The Locomotive that pulled the "Hogwarts Express" was a GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall. Amusingly, the placard on the running board above the second wheel says "Hogwarts Castle" which implies that the engine is a Castle class locomotive, which it's not. However, steam engine enthusiasts call the engine a "Hogwarts Castle" even though it's a Olton Hall.

A person I follow on YouTube repairs model steam engines that run on actual steam. He recently got an Olton Hall and will be turning into a Hogwarts Castle. Some call the engine "The Hogwarts Express", but the "Express" part refers to the train being pulled, and not the Locomotive itself. I wanted to clear up that confusion as he refers to the engine as a "Hogwarts Castle", which can be confused for Hogwarts Castle, the actual castle where Harry Potter went to school.

He just started the project and here's the first video of disassembly.

https://youtu.be/5u53B1ryfhY

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So recently there was a guy who was not in the best mental health, and he stole a Alaska Airlines Q-400 turboprop. He went on a bit of a joyride, did a barrel roll and crashed into an island in Puget Sound. In the end it was quite lucky that the only thing he wrote off was himself, a Dash-8, and some scrub brush. Recently I've seen some YouTube videos romanticizing the guy, especially the barrel roll as one last goodbye to the world.
    However, another side of the story is that two F-15s were scrambled to intercept. The following is the communications between the fighters, callsigns ROCK41 and ROCK42, and ATC. The stolen aircraft is designated TOI1 (Target Of Interest 1), and you can hear the pilots request a 5 nautical mile engagement bubble around the aircraft. This becomes restricted airspace and a de-facto no-fly zone.

--Ninja edit --
    There is another military entity in the communication with the callsign "BIGFOOT" This is the NORAD Western Air Defense Operations Control Center.

From what I'm gathering the F15s were scrambled from McChord Air Force Base and the ATC was coordinating the communications between the F15s and giving directions to the stolen aircraft to stay in the engagement bubble, and attempting to vector it to McChord field. When the pilot was requested to change his heading and land at McChord, this was his response.
    Pilot: Dang, you talk to McChord yet? Because I don’t think I’d be happy with you telling me I could land like that, because I could mess stuff up.
    The context of this is lost because some people don't know the geography of the area have thought ATC were directing him to a grassy field, or a small airstrip. Understandingly he did have mental health issues, but not being happy about being directed to an Air Force Base and saying he could mess stuff up is not I would want to romanticize someone over.

Anyways, here's the communication between ATC, the F15s, and NORAD.

https://youtu.be/9geutArj9ts

halkun on
  • Options
    This new Contrapoints is ok, but depressing.

I appreciate that there are less skits.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Two videos!

The first is Big Joel's video on The Last Airbender and Adaptation (which I know is a topic that's been done to death, but I think Joel takes a look at it that I think is unique)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20kNLiouwWw

The second is the new Contrapoints video on Incels, which is also really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2briZ6fB0

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    that is the video I was talking about.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/o0LJdhXr7L0

Noah Caldwell-Gervais revisits No Man's Sky

this is a fantastic video

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular

Well, I didn't see your comment so bleh!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options

Well, I didn't see your comment so bleh!

It's ok. I was still in the middle of it so I didn't link it.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.