As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Big Trouble in The World Tree! Traveler/Evil Victory - Thanks for playing

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I was being slightly.... urgh..... facetious, I'm obviously not judging. I do think there was a weirdly large number of reveals this game though.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Wins hammer day 1, then converted.

But then how did he win the armor as well?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Wins hammer day 1, then converted.

But then how did he win the armor as well?

I assumed that whoever coalesced around a person going 'I'm secretly your faction!', trusted that person and continued to put votes there.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Also very thing was blue because I was kind of thinking about phazon but I never actually figured out where to go with it. Should have had sk Samus.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Also very thing was blue because I was kind of thinking about phazon but I never actually figured out where to go with it. Should have had sk Samus.

Metroidadu?

• Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    38th, thanks for running the game, I had a lot of fun. The 'infection' really threw me for a loop. And facetious, no hard feelings outing me to the thread. I was on my way to do it myself, but you got there first.

I'd like to echo what some other people are saying, that I really enjoy playing games where shit is just going crazy.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Thanks for running the game! I had fun. No salt from me, my death narration was worth dying for.
    (Actually feel a bit vindicated about most of what I kept harping on about. Sorry if I was being a bit of an ass about it.)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I totally thought I got to hand out the hammer, and so I probably should have played more attention to that secret vote.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Also, I feel like a lot of people played really hard this game, and it may have come off aggressive, but I enjoyed being a part of it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Also, I feel like a lot of people played really hard this game, and it may have come off aggressive, but I enjoyed being a part of it.

Yeah, I may have come in a little too hot this game

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Host Notes

I am going to apologize up front if anyone didn't have a good time or got frustrated with this game. I think I was a bit too vague with the powers. I didn't want to spell everything out but combined with a red herring I think everyone got the wrong impression of what was going on in the game.

This is what was going on: discrider started as the Traveler. The creature in the meteorite was converting creatures to its side. The creature’s conversion triggered even if it died so as to not end the game on Day 1. The conversion was shown in the narration as figures moving into the sludge at night. The creature could then convert them into monsters, allowing them to kill. This was also shown in narration. The monsters could have a maximum of two kills per day. Thus even if they got the village weapons away from them they'd not be able to get an absurd amount of kills. The creature was limited to having 3 teammates but would receive a bonus capacity for taking over a fountain.

In one of my earliest games I was part of a critical team tied to the village’s success. Basically if my masons and I died, the game was lost. My masons were slowly dying and someone needed to reach out and get them help but we couldn’t let ourselves be discovered. The tension of trying to secure help without revealing myself was amazing. I tried to recreate this here with the fountain masters. If they were converted or killed the mafia would be powered up. To balance this, fountain corruption would spawn a vote for a non regenerating seer.

Specials were voted on and regenerating to try and help against the cult. The village also had Royalty with +1 vote strength and gurus who could guard conversions. The sword hammer shield and armor were essentially a guard and vig every day. If someone had both items they upgraded to a full vig. Unfortunately everyone except Auralynx talked about their role through soft networking people and the cult knew exactly where to convert and kill.

Please don't blame @Egos for any Balance issues. He tried to warn me. He even sent me the video of Tim the Enchanter. He has a better eye for this stuff than I do. I didn’t really have an epiphany on the game state until Day 4. Still the village had a good chance had they guarded LostNinja on the night he seered Locus. Sadly the guard was on JPants that night. It was heartbreaking seeing so many fingers pointed at the mafia the last day but ultimately not acting on it.

I haven’t done a conversion game since Transformers, which was pretty rough since it also featured obscuring of the vote kill and resurrection. That game was a cult blow out but that was in 2014 and I was read to try a conversion game again. I thought I had toned it down a bit and the game was winnabe until after tonight’s vote. Conversion are tough to balance. Softnetworking is a huge wildcard in all games. It can be especially powerful in games where more people are not vanilla. In somegames you see plucky little softnetworks of the specials and they are essentially village mafias. Masoned with powers. Way too powerful. In Transformers the village vig soft networked with the cult and agreed not to kill the cult. In this game the village leaked a lot of info to unconfirmed people.

All other things aside, the engagement in this game was wonderful! We generated 1.3k posts, more than the last two games I ran put together! The last game I ran with that many posts was For Science! In 2015 a 42 person game that went 12 game days! So thank you everyone for getting into things!

About the long weekend: Weekends continue to be awful for me and I suspect a lot of other people. While I see the side that if you don’t force people to make time they’ll never find it I put a fair amount of hours into making and running these games and I hate for them to be decided by Inactivus.

Finally I regret the red herring I put in this game. When discrider died I had a great block of text written up for the conversion in event of the creature’s death. I sent it out to a couple of dwarves who were not in peace of mind that had a nightmare about it. Whereas Locus’ message ended in a role conversion, the dreamers ended with saying they are okay. I think this really confused the vague wording of the gurus powers. I felt so bad I let death miller/thralls be confirmed as not existing in the game.

Well. I think that’s probably enough out of me for now. Maybe I’ll go play some faxanadu. I was slightly astonished when Jpants picked out that I had mentioned this game in a previous host notes. Holy crap people read these?

Let me know what you did and didn’t like and how things might be improved. Thank you all for playing!

I 100% took that line as flavor text like trying to reassure yourself that everything is okay when everything is clearly not okay.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Yeah, I may have come in a little too hot this game

It's okay; I will take appropriate precautions in future.

• Options
    For the record, at least this was more interesting than me waking up to a role PM and @Obifett 's PM in my inbox, and then starting a conversation with Obifett as an assumed 'mafia' bro.
    Which I had to catch myself from doing.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    For the record, at least this was more interesting than me waking up to a role PM and @Obifett 's PM in my inbox, and then starting a conversation with Obifett as an assumed 'mafia' bro.

New Pro Strat discovered

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I’m curious if there’s any cult in any game who could select people to convert that has ever lost a game? The only one I can think of was the random christas do-it-yourselfer where the cult also had a posting restriction that was eventually figured out. If people have other examples, I’m very curious.
    Phallafly. Kime started off as the Reaver, who could convert anybody on the same ship as him. He got in a couple converts, then one of them died and everybody panicked and wiped them out in like a day.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

New Pro Strat discovered

"Greetings, fellow Mafias! How about that scripted conversations?"

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I guess. I often don't want to put in all the work of running a game to run something vanilla. Eh. I don't want to just run people through a frustrating harrowing experience either. Maybe I'll take a break for a bit.

Which isn't to say Egos only wants to do vanilla things. I just have crazy thoughts I guess. I'm curious about cults as well.

I like crazy games. Crazy games gets people going and talking and thinking about their own crazy games.

Keep doing you.

Agreeing wasn't enough, had to quote it.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Who was the dwarf fountain keeper and why waren't the listed as such when they died?

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Obifett was the dwarf fountain keeper which answers the second part of your question, I think.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Sorry guys, i mostly botched things with my vig targets.

I didn't engage Obifett as I should have, and gave them a pass when I should have used my ability early.
    I'm happy JPants was village! That was the person I shared most with.

Other collaboration kept the identities to a minimum, though I did discuss perceived roles existing.

Collaborating with the HammerDwarf on who to target was my worst mistake, but that was mostly
    me asking "hey do you care if I knock this person out"
    "hey here is my suggested target for you to hit"
    "who do you think is sketchy?"

Still without a seer, I'm wasn't going to kill the vig/guard champion who I figured unlocked the paladin.
    I wasn't even sure if the champs could be converted.

I should have realized though, that if I could blind pickout the dwarf vig champion on day 2,
    that they would be compromised.

The only thing was that I wasn't compromised myself, and that I was a much more visable vig.

Hearing about Jpants's ability made me more understandable on why I wasn't compromised,
    but even then I didn't fully trust that Gurus were even a thing.

Me or Jpants being mafia was a really silly idea though, so I trusted them.
    That wagon that forced us to reveal shouldn't have happened though.

I should have used that kill on Obifet then, but I felt that would be too petty.
    Saber was Saved by Jpants revealing, so maybe that reveal worked out.

I didn't share critical identities to Jpants, and in hindsight I should have.
    I should have leaked more info and not be super tightlipped, but that's an impossible conclusion for me to come to in a conversion game.
    I freaked out when I told jpants i thought X elves were around, and that there was a elf fountain person,
    but that was the most I exposed with regard to anyone critical I feel.

Locus did a really good job, and was the Mafia MVP, in my book.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Virgil_Leads_You , you were compromised, but I died. :P
    Admittedly, my death didn't really show that.

discrider on
  • Options
    .. which is another thing.
    I was also told there were uneven numbers of Elves and Dwarves and that the Dwarves were more numerous.
    I sort of expected the Dwarves to be combed through because of this.
    Didn't seem to happen.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    A solid chunk of folk suggested Obifett too.
    I really screwed up on that.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

Oh was I bugged, or did you die to the vote before I was converted?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Oh was I bugged, or did you die to the vote before I was converted?

I mean, I was stalking you, an elf co-ordinator, whilst converting the dwarf co-ordinator.
    I figured you would probably get the sword.

And it worked.. to the extent you defended me day 1.

... I don't know if my Virgil-sword vote counted

discrider on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    discrider did a good job identifying who had the Hammer and Sword, and then I got lucky in converting the Dwarf fountain guardian (ObiFett) and getting the Fortress (which the hosts can tell you I had no hand in arranging). So we got off to a great start and things just kind of snowballed from there. Brody revealed as a special and then Austin let us know that chamberlain had the Shield and that was pretty much that.

While I would agree that the mafia was overpowered, I also think things could have gone differently. My first conversion target was initially SaberOverEasy (before I switched to ObiFett), and I'm assuming the gurus could not be converted so that would have ended up a waste of a day for me. I advocated not trying to kill LostNinja on Day Five, because I thought they would be guarded, so that would have changed things. I got lucky targeting the guardian and getting the Fortress. On the other hand, I was operating under the assumption that the gurus could permanently prevent someone from being converted, and I likely would have changed strategies had I known they were basically conversion guards.

@Virgil_Leads_You and @JPants from my perspective you did a good job. You were placed in a tough position, and you had to put some trust in people. In retrospect you weren't that far off from having a conversion-free soft network, we just made some good choices.

@ObiFett, @Brody, @AustinP0027, and @chamberlain were all great teammates and did a really good job analyzing the game and picking a strategy. Would recommend that future cults think about converting them.

Thanks to @38thDoe and @Egos for hosting! I apologize if my constant questions were annoying. The flavor in this game was off the charts. Narrations, role PMs, and update PMs were all really well crafted. That's not easy to do and often gets overlooked, so I appreciated the effort there.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @SaberOverEasy Here is a cult game where the cult lost. Luckily I was converted to the losing team. >_< ♥ @Virgil_Leads_You & @lonelyahava This started a bizarre period of us trying to team up every game even though we were always at least 1/3 mafia. ( @Assuran part 3 when?)

Also @premium I missed this game, and after it was brought up here and I read through it I agree with Infidel
    Infidel wrote: »
    More premium mains.

But really just more everyone mains.

Also in trying to stay neutral I try not to awesome any posts but there were some great posts in this game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that Dwarf Fortress game was great, even though pretty much everyone but Obi fumbled a bit due to the moving parts.

I'd also endorse more Assuran games if he wanted to run them.

• Options
    38ths Infidel quote above took me to the last few pages of that dwarf fortress phalla
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Yeah, so my thoughts:

- Congratulations, Obi, even if I was doing my best to stop you. :P

The more things change the more they stay the same

• Options
    I love Dwarf Fortress, and want another dwarf fortress game so that I can play in one.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I've had the itch to run another game for quite a while but just haven't found the time. With my current schedule I feel like I'd pretty much have to use vacation days to make time.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Mostly I want to know if the mafia members that shifted the wagon to me were mafia when they did it (Obi, chamberlain, Austin)

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Mostly I want to know if the mafia members that shifted the wagon to me were mafia when they did it (Obi, chamberlain, Austin)
    They were not, I was the only mafia member at that time. The village gets to take sole responsibility for that one.

• Options
    premium wrote: »
    I've had the itch to run another game for quite a while but just haven't found the time. With my current schedule I feel like I'd pretty much have to use vacation days to make time.

I can maybe help. Locus can (hopefully) attest. I make a good co-host. Struggle with the "coming up with a good game idea" part, but pretty decent in the "get it running and keep the game going" part.

• Options
    premium wrote: »

I can maybe help. Locus can (hopefully) attest. I make a good co-host. Struggle with the "coming up with a good game idea" part, but pretty decent in the "get it running and keep the game going" part.
    Can confirm that Austin is great at keeping a game humming behind the scenes.

• Options
    Having someone write narration for you and or send out pms for you eliminates most of the time requirements of running a game.

I really like writing narration and pms though so that doesn't help me as much.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Hey, I had a blast while I was alive. Trying to figure out what was going on is a lot of fun.

I ended up getting the shield day three when I was at height of suspicion. I was so confused, hadn't soft networked, nobody reached out to me that day claiming help, I started wondering if all the other elves had just forgotten to vote. Told JPants I had it and that I was probably getting vigged that night.

Well, this might be a first in phalla for me, I WAS RIGHT!

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I can't speak to the other elves, but I think that was the night I accidentally sent a vote in at 6:01, thinking I'd sent it at 6 and it would still count, and I was actually supposed to have it in by 5:59. Soooo, probably no more extreme-vote-brinksmanship for me

• Options
    You must have had multiples for you.

That night (I was still village) Jpants was worried that he was going to get killed, so told me to vote for myself instead of him. So I did, so that means you had to have at least two votes to take it.

• Options
    You must have had multiples for you.

That night (I was still village) Jpants was worried that he was going to get killed, so told me to vote for myself instead of him. So I did, so that means you had to have at least two votes to take it.

Three; Virgil and I were trying to get me the shield at the time. That or you couldn't vote for yourself, which the hosts neither stopped me from doing nor confirmed I could.