As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Played that The Others: Seven Sins game and was not impressed. One v. All games have all the same problems—either the one doesn’t have interesting choices or everybody else waits while the one plays half the game. Seven Sins is the former, and even though I won it never felt like I had enough to do. It’s also clearly a game that could have been a full co-op with an easily automated system controlling the bad guys. Neat miniatures, but even by Ameritrash standards this is not great.

yeah i had a ton of fun with it but it was such a weird day i knew i couldn't tell if the game had any actual value or not

we played against sloth and there looked like there might be some interesting choices of when you run away with the target monsters while attacking with your nontarget monsters

My group's experience with it was that it was overwhelmingly more fun / interesting for the guy playing the bad guys than the humans.

what! that is the reverse of astaereth!

one of our people got stomped by 3 monsters on the first turn, but we had a good time

first we raced for gear and those altars that deny the bad guy a card

then somebody dashed over to the double gear to end phase 1, and we chose kill 4 aboms on a turn for the phase 2. My bruiser protector had a piece of gear that let him reduce corruption at the start of a turn, so he was able to repeatedly hit the highest corruption level and get three autohits, so he grabbed a stealth suit to move freely and started hunting aboms. The other bruiser, the vampire lady, got a sword of cold ice and a kevlar vest as the 2 gear that started phase 2, and immediately punched an abom to death. He then suicided a group of 2 aboms and maybe the avatar? and got enough hits to kill both aboms and start phase 3. Then we orbital lasered 1 or 2 monsters and were running for the other when he killed 2 people in a row with the avatar. If we'd run our fragile person away or he'd missed the roll we would have had a guaranteed win on the next turn

sig.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Played that The Others: Seven Sins game and was not impressed. One v. All games have all the same problems—either the one doesn’t have interesting choices or everybody else waits while the one plays half the game. Seven Sins is the former, and even though I won it never felt like I had enough to do. It’s also clearly a game that could have been a full co-op with an easily automated system controlling the bad guys. Neat miniatures, but even by Ameritrash standards this is not great.

yeah i had a ton of fun with it but it was such a weird day i knew i couldn't tell if the game had any actual value or not

we played against sloth and there looked like there might be some interesting choices of when you run away with the target monsters while attacking with your nontarget monsters

My group's experience with it was that it was overwhelmingly more fun / interesting for the guy playing the bad guys than the humans.

one of our people got stomped by 3 monsters on the first turn, but we had a good time

It's possible that there were misunderstandings involved, but the exploding dice part of the mechanics appeared to heavily favor the bad dude and as a result, despite pretty-decent starts for the humans not dissimilar to yours, we got walked all over in our two attempts.

Agency / decision-making for the bad guy may in fact have been low, but he was the only one succeeding at much.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

It's possible that there were misunderstandings involved, but the exploding dice part of the mechanics appeared to heavily favor the bad dude and as a result, despite pretty-decent starts for the humans not dissimilar to yours, we got walked all over in our two attempts.

Agency / decision-making for the bad guy may in fact have been low, but he was the only one succeeding at much.

we found the gear to be just bonkers excellent, and the corruption bonuses to be overwhelmingly better than exploding dice (exploded dice are wild for humans but fists for bad dude). The counterweight comes when you get to the top of the corruption track and now twice as many bad guy dice faces hurt you, and half of them can't be erased with the auto shields

edit: getting the card that gives you six reactions a turn instead of four first turn was pretty demoralizing even before he one-shotted the fixer demon lady

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

we found the gear to be just bonkers excellent, and the corruption bonuses to be overwhelmingly better than exploding dice (exploded dice are wild for humans but fists for bad dude). The counterweight comes when you get to the top of the corruption track and now twice as many bad guy dice faces hurt you, and half of them can't be erased with the auto shields

edit: getting the card that gives you six reactions a turn instead of four first turn was pretty demoralizing even before he one-shotted the fixer demon lady

Yeah, that pretty much mirrors our findings as far as the good-guy end of things. The game seems slanted to favor the good guys rushing as hard as they can, all things considered; it gets overwhelmingly better for the bad guy over time.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Dark Souls board game got delivered today. I kind of want to paint the models for practice

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Gonna debut my recent aquisition of Mythos Tales at the Halloween board game party this Monday (anything to keep Betrayal off the table).

(also looking to dump my copy of Blood Rage for cheap. PM if interested)

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Oh no. It's the worst kind of crisis

Tiefe Taschen (negotiating game about a corrupt president handing out bribes) has an updated edition that gives it a bit more of a polish but it also changes the theme to animals distributing stolen treasure. Do I try to ignore theme and go for the slightly improved mechanics or accept the disappointing retheme?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Gonna debut my recent aquisition of Mythos Tales at the Halloween board game party this Monday (anything to keep Betrayal off the table).

(also looking to dump my copy of Blood Rage for cheap. PM if interested)

Yay, we've been loving Mythos Tales. I would say it's easier than Sherlock Holmes (with the exception of 1 case so far), and it does a very good job of making the cases feel fresh.

In the reprint there is one case we've found that needed errata, it's the one with dreaming. So keep that in mind when you get to that one.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I finally tried Gloomhaven last night and...I'm not sure how I feel

The combat design seems really good and interesting, but I'm not sure if I feel like it respects my time

It's so heavy and so long and so demanding, and wants you to play so much of it to get anywhere, and I don't know if I feel like it's rewarding enough to warrant that

Something like Twilight Imperium is in itself a story engine, so you could play it once a week, once a month, once a year, and every session of that would be equally inspiring and substantial and memorable

but we played Gloomhaven for 3 hours and got less than a fifth of the experience needed to level up, one new item that none of us will be able to afford until like 5 quests down the line, and barely any narrative or anything memorable at all, it was just dungeon crawling in an admittedly unique and inherently interesting system

I dunno, as far as the big >$100 "event" games go, I don't find it as rewarding as I feel like it should be to justify the time needed, at least for my experience, you need to play it on a regular basis to make it worthwhile, and it would basically consume all of my gaming time and I could never ever play anything else for several months to feel like I got the real meat out of it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Did you try any of the stand-alone scenarios for GLOOMHAVEN ? They allow you to take mid-level characters and jump into a fight.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Once you get the rules down I feel like Gloomhaven moves at a decent clip. AP players can really slow that down.

My group usually knocks out 2-3 missions a play session and 18ish missions in everyone else has retired one character, I have retired 2, multiple people have hit level 6, etc

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Also @Mr. G that seems like too little exp? Did folks take both the end of scenario XP for the selected level and the XP from their moves?

I think my first character hit level 2 after 2 missions but I did aggressively focus on XP building with them. Most other folks were 3.

• Options
    I needed about 50 to go from level 2 to 3, I got 2 from card abilities (the situations either never came up or it was more beneficial to let my teammate take the elemental move) and 7 from winning the quest, so I walked away with 9

I don't dislike the game at all, I think it's really well done, but for me personally to get what I would want to get out of it it would have to become the only thing I play for the next 2-3 months, and I'm not willing to do that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    TBF levelling up in Gloomhaven is eventually more trouble than it's worth. The free perk is great and swapping out a card is generally beneficial but the often-paltry bump in HP in no way makes up for the increased enemy aggression once the party crosses specific total level thresholds. I honestly don't mind the slow progression.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    TBF levelling up in Gloomhaven is eventually more trouble than it's worth. The free perk is great and swapping out a card is generally beneficial but the often-paltry bump in HP in no way makes up for the increased enemy aggression once the party crosses specific total level thresholds. I honestly don't mind the slow progression.

I think Perks and Items definitely power you up more than levels since they don't increase the scenario difficulty.

2 XP seems really low, but that might be the classes I'm used to playing, but I think the XP combat goal has you gain 15-20 so 2 is definitely on the extreme low end.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I think you are intended to level up after every three scenarios. Note that some classes are built to level up much faster because their core abilities generate so much XP-- the Brute is probably the best example here.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    basically last night I existed on opposite ends of the spectrum

I played Gloomhaven for the first time...and I also played Machi Koro for the first time

Machi Koro is good! Machi Koro is very fun! I like playing it, I love looking at it, that is some good clean fun

also in Gloomhaven I played as the big rock guy and I named him "John Goodman"

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have a love hate relationship with Machi Koro. Every so often I forget I hate it and want my friend to bring it over so I can roll the wrong number and give all my coins to my evil red card buying opponents. Then I try to compensate by spending all my money every turn so there is nothing to steal. Last time I tried to use the business center to trade their red cards for my wheat fields but the dice were not having it. Still at the end of the game I have the most cards in front of me. A beautiful land of rolling hills, forests, fields with none of the harsh commercialization of cafes or family restaurants. Isn't that the real victory? No, no its not but it just makes you feel so good(It doesn't). Maybe we should play it next game night.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I have a love hate relationship with Machi Koro. Every so often I forget I hate it and want my friend to bring it over so I can roll the wrong number and give all my coins to my evil red card buying opponents. Then I try to compensate by spending all my money every turn so there is nothing to steal. Last time I tried to use the business center to trade their red cards for my wheat fields but the dice were not having it. Still at the end of the game I have the most cards in front of me. A beautiful land of rolling hills, forests, fields with none of the harsh commercialization of cafes or family restaurants. Isn't that the real victory? No, no its not but it just makes you feel so good(It doesn't). Maybe we should play it next game night.

I had so many bakeries and general stores that I made it to $29 really early and then a tax office took half my money and I kept rolling demolition companies and I lost all my developments and all my money!

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Just going to put it out there again - Space Base is an uglier in presentation, but strictly better in mechanics version of Machi Koro. People who like MK should really find the time to try SB. People who don't like MK should give it a shot because it's infinitely more tolerable.

• Options
    what are the mechanical improvements

Games cost money it's not just finding the time

sig.gif
  • Options
    Everyone has a board which tracks your current money, basic income, and VP (that's right, Space Base is just a race to 40 points instead of the weird build condition). It also has slots for the numbers 1-12, which players will slowly fill up with cards they buy. The trick is that each slot only holds one card at a time before they get knocked off into the lane above it ... however this is just a clever way to handle the "my turn VS your turn" effects of each card. When you purchase it it goes onto your board and that's what you get with that number on your turn. When you purchase a new card for that slot it flips and goes into a stack above the slot, and you'll get the combined effects of all cards there on your opponents' turns. Perhaps the nicest thing of all is that any time someone rolls the dice all players get to choose individually if they want the sum rolled or the two individual numbers (so a 2, 2 result could be great for one person invested in 2 [since they get it twice], as well as someone who has built up 4).
    There's a bit more that I don't think needs to be covered, but it creates some nice risk-reward systems in the race to the finish. Overall the game has a much better engine building feeling since you're less restricted by the dice, and you pretty much always have the option to get something every turn. There's also only a handful of "fuck-you" cards compared to MK's huge volume of red cards.

• Options
    Haha I don't think that's strictly better

sig.gif
  • Options

It's more complicated, for sure, but it flows nicely once you get rolling and the hits on other players by the hostile cards are smaller and easier to survive.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    also in Gloomhaven I played as the big rock guy and I named him "John Goodman"

Ooooooh if you were the Cragheart that explains the low xp gain.

• Options
    Yup, it sure does. I'm afraid that he chose the slowest leveling character of the first six available.

• Options
    It loses a margin on complexity in favor of being a much better and less dickish game, which is always where Machi Koro went awry for me. Giving players a better ability to craft their board state and be more continuously engaged at all points in the game tends to make it dramatically more interesting and enjoyable (and thus a strictly better game). <_<

• Options
    Huh! Space Base does look more interesting to me than Machi Koro, might have to give that a shot

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It loses a margin on complexity in favor of being a much better and less dickish game, which is always where Machi Koro went awry for me. Giving players a better ability to craft their board state and be more continuously engaged at all points in the game tends to make it dramatically more interesting and enjoyable (and thus a strictly better game). <_<

Oh just a less interactive version would get zero play at my table. The only reason we play machi Koro is for the AHA moments. Race to the finish engine builders are a dime a dozen and not appealing

sig.gif
  • Options
    uh, apparently Discover: Lands Unknown just came out?

It's weird that their SECOND unique game announced came out like 3 weeks earlier

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Board game swap meet lead to me getting a really cheap copy of forbidden stars, still in the shrink wrap! I considered flipping it for all of 10 minutes, decided I had the luxury of not having to be that sensible and tore into that wrap with abandon. So many toys, so, so many toys, and I've got folks coming over to learn it saturday! Hypeeee! Not super hype to teach it, as it seems a bit of a bear to teach, but really hype to play it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

It's weird that their SECOND unique game announced came out like 3 weeks earlier

Judging by the article, Discover was a simpler game and in development earlier than Keyforge.

In other Asmodee/FFG news, they've started their Holiday sale.

If you have any interest in the Call of Cthulhu LCG, they are selling packs for $1 and deluxes for $3.

New Angeles is also available for $15.

I'm still digging through to see what else is there.

... Oof. Runewars Minis stuff is pretty heavily discounted. That's not a good sign for the long-term viability of that game. The dice pack is $1.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Did FFG announce what the Tarot card tweet teasers were for?

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    It was the AH thing

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Nothing very great in the ffg holiday sale this year

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm so hyped for Gugong (The Forbidden City). The deluxe edition could arrive at my doorstep any day now.

Also, Spirit Island finally clicked upon a third play through. Some of it was struggling with rules. Any character is capable of generating fear by blowing up buildings, as Fear is the only way to lighten up the win condition. One player was River, one player was Lightning, and I was Earth. I defended the land really well while the other players wrecked shit.

We generally agree that keeping track of our fast-slow resolutions was brain frying.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Nothing very great in the ffg holiday sale this year

Makes it a whole lot easier to not be tempted.
    Best thing I saw was Star Wars Destiny Legacies and Empire at War booster boxes for half off, and with reasonable shipping for them even!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

The inception of both games were started all the way back in 2015 independent of each other. And fell into FFGs lap because they had the technology to handle it.

Also Keyforge needs its contents printed differently as each deck has unique back. Discover has all cards printed the same way and gets split up into different bundles. Even though they are both under the banner of unique games they are also very unique from each other.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Board game swap meet lead to me getting a really cheap copy of forbidden stars, still in the shrink wrap! I considered flipping it for all of 10 minutes, decided I had the luxury of not having to be that sensible and tore into that wrap with abandon. So many toys, so, so many toys, and I've got folks coming over to learn it saturday! Hypeeee! Not super hype to teach it, as it seems a bit of a bear to teach, but really hype to play it.

It's not the EASIEST game to teach but I've not had a bear of a time with it the couple of times I've had to. The quick run rules they have there really get to the points quite quickly.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can't see why Forbidden Stars would be particularly hard to teach. It even has the lovely learn to play / rules reference double manual setup

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.