As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Tell you what ol' Bucky becoming Capn America is what you call a downgrade

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I'm calling nobody dies. I think there will be a wave of retirements or "I have to lay down the hammer and rebuild Asgard for a time." I just don't think they need to die. I think it's way more meaningful if Cap gets a Paul Walker-esque nice ride into the sunset.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Steve and BP give everyone shields and nanosuits so they can ALL be the next Captain America.
    If they get nanosuits too, wouldn't that make them Captiron Americaman's?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Iron Patriot
    Sorry
    Not really

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    You know actually it would not surprise me at all if we get the Dark Knight Rises ending where Steve apparently dies and then at the end of the movie we see Cap overlooking the compound where the new avengers are training. Tony walks up and looks at the compound and stands side by side.

"You sure you got this Tony? I can stay, just say the word."
    "I think you've given enough buddy. Have some fun. Oh, and take this. Just in case" *Hands back cell phone, cap takes it back smiling*
    "Thanks. Just let me know. I'll be out there." *Rides off into sunset with Sharon Carter*

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Think of it as a redemption story.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucky gets the shield and mantle, Falcon becomes the leader of the next Avengers.

Falcon
    Captain America II
    Scarlet Witch
    Vision 2.0
    Black Widow

Meanwhile you have Strange, Thor, Panther, Gamora, and Captain Marvel become the protectors of the Stones. Time, Space, Mind, Soul, and Power.

Clint retires, Tony retires, Spidey goes back to Street Level, the rest of the Guardians (plus Nebula) go back to space, etc etc etc

Banner is the wild card, no clue what they do with him.

Alternatively Tony dies and becomes a hologram, and Clint becomes the new Director of SHIELD

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The issue with having Steve retire is that it's hard to come up with a plausible reason for him to do so that wouldn't be out of character. This is the guy who refused to stop signing up for World War II.

The only way it works is if he gets depowered. Otherwise, death seems like the most logical path if they actually intend to move on from the character.

I agree that Steve likely dies, Tony likely loses the ability to wear the suit, and Thor likely has to focus on rebuilding Asgard and therefore is no longer a dangling "why isn't Thor here?" problem for any other MCU properties. He can still have more movies, but just can't be expected to come back to Earth all the time.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Bucky gets the shield and mantle, Falcon becomes the leader of the next Avengers.

Falcon
    Captain America II
    Scarlet Witch
    Vision 2.0
    Black Widow

Meanwhile you have Strange, Thor, Panther, Gamora, and Captain Marvel become the protectors of the Stones. Time, Space, Mind, Soul, and Power.

Clint retires, Tony retires, Spidey goes back to Street Level, the rest of the Guardians (plus Nebula) go back to space, etc etc etc

Banner is the wild card, no clue what they do with him.

Alternatively Tony dies and becomes a hologram, and Clint becomes the new Director of SHIELD

There's absolutely no way Falcon is the leader of the Avengers. It's going to be a Captain Marvel/Strange and/or T'Challa to replace the Cap/Iron Man duo or I will eat my namesake.

I don't know that they'll do the Infinity Watch, and if they do it almost certainly wouldn't be with characters that important. That seems to imply the stones will be important again, and that time table will probably have to be before the Infinity Watch's contracts all end. So then you're looking at Avengers 6/7 being about the stones AGAIN? Probably not. If the stones don't come back into play, what's the point of the Watch?

Tony becomes director of Shield. Banner runs off with Widow now that they've both made peace. Hawkeye retires. Thor goes to rule over his people. I imagine Vision and Witch also retire, Paul Bettany has done this for a lot of movies, although I think they're the most wild card-y.

I also honestly don't know who gets the Shield. I can see the Bucky or Sam Wilson arguments. If Bucky doesn't get the shield, I don't know what he does. I think it would be interesting if he got it for a movie and determined he couldn't handle it. He's not a leader, too many demons, gives it to Sam.

Your new Avengers after this are:

Captain Marvel
    Spider-Man (hopefully)
    Dr. Strange
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man
    The Wasp
    Falcon

Which is a pretty ass beating crew. I've also placed them in a predictive order of "number of movies remaining" from most to least.

• Options
    The issue with having Steve retire is that it's hard to come up with a plausible reason for him to do so that wouldn't be out of character. This is the guy who refused to stop signing up for World War II.

The only way it works is if he gets depowered. Otherwise, death seems like the most logical path if they actually intend to move on from the character.

I agree that Steve likely dies, Tony likely loses the ability to wear the suit, and Thor likely has to focus on rebuilding Asgard and therefore is no longer a dangling "why isn't Thor here?" problem for any other MCU properties. He can still have more movies, but just can't be expected to come back to Earth all the time.

I think that Steve Roger's version of retirement is returning to Europe "I'd like to revisit some of those places now that everyone won't be shooting me" while also just kind of Batmanning his way across the continent righting smaller wrongs. I think he'll see that 1) the Avengers will be fine without him since the power level of the team has increased dramatically and 2) he'll always be there if really needed.

I really doubt that Marvel Studios would really want to completely rule out the ability to have Evans available for some cameos in the future.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Given his character, I'm figuring the only way Cap "retires" is if he:

A: Has no choice, like taking a severe career ending injury.
    or
    B: Sacrifice. His whole schtick is that he's the guy who will jump on the grenade, so he's going to jump on some sort of "grenade".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cap could get aged into old man so he can be a supporting role as Captain Rogers back at HQ if they like and have someone else take up the Captain America mantle on the battlefield.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Bucky as new Captain America.

Falcon as new War Machine or Iron Man

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I'd rather it be Bucky because Bucky doesn't really have anything else going for him. He's just a guy with a gun. Falcon has the wingsuit that makes him unique. If somebody is going to inherit the shield that doesn't obey the laws of physics, Bucky in general is just a better fit.

Bucky cant have the shiled, his arm already attracts every bullet shot at him, if he also gets a shield, the bullets wont know where to go.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

You mean Sebastian Steve redeems himself as a charismatic actor or something I guess it could happen, seems like a gamble for a movie studio though

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I'd rather it be Bucky because Bucky doesn't really have anything else going for him. He's just a guy with a gun. Falcon has the wingsuit that makes him unique. If somebody is going to inherit the shield that doesn't obey the laws of physics, Bucky in general is just a better fit.

Bucky cant have the shiled, his arm already attracts every bullet shot at him, if he also gets a shield, the bullets wont know where to go.

what if his arm is the shield

no upper arm or forearm or hands

just shield

so it goes - shoulder, then shield

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

what if his arm is the shield

no upper arm or forearm or hands

just shield

so it goes - shoulder, then shield

In what direction would it be attached? Because I can think of some less than optimal configurations, like, he can only shield his ribs on one side, and flap the shield, unless you put an elbow IN the shield somewhere.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

You mean Sebastian Steve redeems himself as a charismatic actor or something I guess it could happen, seems like a gamble for a movie studio though

He was fine as a charismatic actor in Cap 1.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Played a pretty good muted brain scrambled operator in Cap 2.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I like Falcon stepping into a suit of armor because it's close to his skill set and doesn't need a hokey way of getting a super soldier serum into him.

Bucky already showed himself almost Steve's equal so it's a much softer sell to get him upgraded (Wakanda tech) to Caps level if you even decide to do it at all.

Also replacing Marvel's biggest movie character (Iron Man) with a person of color would be awesome.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    The Riri/Shuri jump is right there. Just let it happen.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Falcon has the personality type, Bucky has the power level. I'm cool with either one stepping up, though I'd probably prefer Falcon. Bucky has redemption baggage so Falcon could get hung up on trying to live up to his friend's example. Falcon's the guy who, when Captain America showed up on his doorstep and said, "I'm in the shit." didn't hesitate to invite him in. That's Captain America grade behavior, but he doesn't have the mythology from WWII to back him up, so he might not feel he's the right man for the job.

And even though the Avengers basically get to do whatever they want at this point, I think it'd be a bit difficult to get what powers there are to sign off on an ex-mind controlled, ex-Soviet, ex-Hydra hitman running things. On the team on a probationary sort of thing, sure, that's how movies work, but not as the leader.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Also replacing Marvel's biggest movie character (Iron Man) with a person of color would be awesome.

*ahem*

240?cb=20111004004526

Rhodey did take over as Iron Man in the comics.

secret-wars-spiderwoman.jpg

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I'm calling nobody dies. I think there will be a wave of retirements or "I have to lay down the hammer and rebuild Asgard for a time." I just don't think they need to die. I think it's way more meaningful if Cap gets a Paul Walker-esque nice ride into the sunset.

Won’t he need a hammer to rebuild Asgard?

• Options

Won’t he need a hammer to rebuild Asgard?

Technically stormbreaker is an hammer and axe.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hey how come everybody
    who got dusted got their clothes dusted too, my pants aren't part of me, there should have been piles of clothes and spectacles and pacemakers and so forth all over the place, then whenever somebody gets de-dusted they appear nude

And pacemakerless I guess
    While Fury's pager did not get dusted
    That wasn't Fury's page, he was just holding it Captain Marvel.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Steve either gets time warped back to 1945, or gets aged somehow. Time stone shenanigans or something.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    People saying Steve Rogers has to die or be time displaced to stop fighting are being a little silly I think. I get Steve is burdened with responsibility but soldiers retire all the time. They take desk jobs when they realize they can be of more good doing that instead of being on the front lines.

Further, I think he would love nothing more than to lay down his arms provided he could be in a position to do so. He would always answer the call if needed but I also think he could see that he's not the only man for every job.

He would leave the avengers in the hands of Carol Danvers, a fellow military veteran who knows that duty and responsibility. He'd leave it with T'Challa, a man who knows the burden of leadership. He'd (potentially) leave it with Tony Stark, arguably his best friend and someone he's personally seen grow from an arrogant narcissist to a guy who was willing to sacrifice himself to get a nuke out of NYC.

Like I think he could look back on what he created and feel good with that legacy. Soldiers take leave, they aren't expected to fight forever. He has earned that. I think he would take it if he knew 1) what he created won't fall to shit and 2) they'll call him if they need to.

Captain America leaving the Avengers to Tony who takes a low paying government job as Director of SHIELD would really cap off that relationship in a nice way.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Wow Iron Rhodey is kindof a misogynistic dick, huh?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    In case people haven't seen it yet, Zoe Saldana's eye rolling in the IW gag reel is a train wreck.

In that it's incredibly disturbing, but I can't stop watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=rYG04EYvP08

0:27 if it doesn't auto timestamp.

• Options
    Wow Iron Rhodey is kindof a misogynistic dick, huh?

I mean based on the art style that's probably pretty par for the course for the era.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    People saying Steve Rogers has to die or be time displaced to stop fighting are being a little silly I think. I get Steve is burdened with responsibility but soldiers retire all the time. They take desk jobs when they realize they can be of more good doing that instead of being on the front lines.

Further, I think he would love nothing more than to lay down his arms provided he could be in a position to do so. He would always answer the call if needed but I also think he could see that he's not the only man for every job.

He would leave the avengers in the hands of Carol Danvers, a fellow military veteran who knows that duty and responsibility. He'd leave it with T'Challa, a man who knows the burden of leadership. He'd (potentially) leave it with Tony Stark, arguably his best friend and someone he's personally seen grow from an arrogant narcissist to a guy who was willing to sacrifice himself to get a nuke out of NYC.

Like I think he could look back on what he created and feel good with that legacy. Soldiers take leave, they aren't expected to fight forever. He has earned that. I think he would take it if he knew 1) what he created won't fall to shit and 2) they'll call him if they need to.

Captain America leaving the Avengers to Tony who takes a low paying government job as Director of SHIELD would really cap off that relationship in a nice way.

The fact that Captain America would always answer the call is your problem there. He would always come, and he's always the right man for the job. There's no situation where you'd go, "I don't think Captain America would be any use here" unless we're going with entirely wizard based and spying problems.

Cap has to either die or be transported in time somehow.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Captain America in Infinity War is hilarious on a rewatch. Well him and Black Panther. It's an enormous siege war, and they're the only two people fighting with just their fists.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

The fact that Captain America would always answer the call is your problem there. He would always come, and he's always the right man for the job. There's no situation where you'd go, "I don't think Captain America would be any use here" unless we're going with entirely wizard based and spying problems.

He would come if needed. Captain America didn't intervene in every marvel movie after Avengers or Winter Soldier. Most fights won't need him, it's not like he specifically is bringing a lot of firepower.

Like I could see a short after A4 when he's retired of him like reading in Le Monde or on British TV: Skrulls attack New York. And he's like "fuck I gotta get there" and he runs back to his small apartment and Sharon says "Steve let them handle it. They've got it." And he replies "They need me Sharon." And as he gets the suit on and straps the shield and calls a quinjet on Wolf Blitzer is interviewing a triumphant Carol Danvers.

And then it happens again "Ultron back again?!" And this time he's en route before Shuri triumphantly hacks Ultron.

And again, and again, until he sees the news and Sharon goes "Well? Shouldn't you be going?" And he looks at the closet where the uniform hangs and goes "you know what? I've got something to take care of here" and the camera pans down to reveal she's pregnant.

And then cut to ten years later when they call him up and say "Steve, the red skull is back. We need you" and then he's right fucking there. That's what I mean by he's always going to answer the call. He doesn't need to be at every fight. Learning when you can leave so others can grow is important.

Wishing for his death or being instantly turned super old to end his arc is too grim an ending for a hero who is a beacon of light. I'm not saying he won't die or that if he does it's a bad ending. There are just plenty of good endings where he gets to be happy and I can't think of a character who deserves it more.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

He would come if needed. Captain America didn't intervene in every marvel movie after Avengers or Winter Soldier. Most fights won't need him, it's not like he specifically is bringing a lot of firepower.

Like I could see a short after A4 when he's retired of him like reading in Le Monde or on British TV: Skrulls attack New York. And he's like "fuck I gotta get there" and he runs back to his small apartment and Sharon says "Steve let them handle it. They've got it." And he replies "They need me Sharon." And as he gets the suit on and straps the shield and calls a quinjet on Wolf Blitzer is interviewing a triumphant Carol Danvers.

And then it happens again "Ultron back again?!" And this time he's en route before Shuri triumphantly hacks Ultron.

And again, and again, until he sees the news and Sharon goes "Well? Shouldn't you be going?" And he looks at the closet where the uniform hangs and goes "you know what? I've got something to take care of here" and the camera pans down to reveal she's pregnant.

And then cut to ten years later when they call him up and say "Steve, the red skull is back. We need you" and then he's right fucking there. That's what I mean by he's always going to answer the call. He doesn't need to be at every fight. Learning when you can leave so others can grow is important.

Wishing for his death or being instantly turned super old to end his arc is too grim an ending for a hero who is a beacon of light. I'm not saying he won't die or that if he does it's a bad ending. There are just plenty of good endings where he gets to be happy and I can't think of a character who deserves it more.

I get the impression from Civil War and Infinity War that Cap doesn't avoid stuff just because he's not needed, he's busy running ops constantly. He strikes me as a guy who doesn't want to stop being busy.

Busy being a fucking vampire! Goddammit Steve! Look at you!

captain-america-kiss-911496.jpg

Fucking cradle-robbing vampire sunovabitch. You were the chosen one!!!

:cry:

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Those are like, the least Captain America things ever. He's a tactical genius. He'd be there fighting the Skrulls before Captain Marvel had realized that her Space Butler was malfunctioning.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Go watch the discussion he has multiple times during Civil War, most specifically the one with Tony.

Cap can't be idle when there is wrong in the world. He just.....

Can't.

It isnt his character.

Retiring is a lovely thought, but 100% contrary to who he is as a person.

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Go watch the discussion he has multiple times during Civil War, most specifically the one with Tony.

Cap can't be idle when there is wrong in the world. He just.....

Can't.

It isnt his character.

Retiring is a lovely thought, but 100% contrary to who he is as a person.

Yep. Him and Sharon will be fighting bad guys in foreign countries while she's pregnant. It's just how they'll do. And they'll say Paris is romantic while they take down terrorists and evade French Commandos trying to haul them in.

And then when they have their kid, they'll be hiding in an old S.H.I.E.L.D. facility right in the middle of an op, and Steve will try talking to his son/daughter, and he'll have to awkwardly inform them that he totally once had the hots for the kid's great-great-aunt. Because these are the trials and tribulations of fucking vampires.

• Options
    He can't be idle if there is nobody willing to stand up for his friend or to oppose a law he just can't agree with. Like I said, if he knew there were people who could be relied on he would be fine with going.

I mean I also agree his definition of retirement is very different. He'd probably be breaking up drug rings and warlords for fun.

• Options
    He can't be idle if there is nobody willing to stand up for his friend or to oppose a law he just can't agree with. Like I said, if he knew there were people who could be relied on he would be fine with going.

I mean I also agree his definition of retirement is very different. He'd probably be breaking up drug rings and warlords for fun.

Okay, I think that's where we're talking past each other. Yeah, his "retirement" looks like a constant fucking James Bond movie with slightly less actual espionage.

This discussion has been closed.