As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Watching the dev dairy, the skill changes are looking sweeeeet in Iceborne. Really hope th elemental changes pan out. (Even ifi will miss just being able to take my RAWKET SWORD everywhere)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere with a chart or somesuch that breaks down what monsters need what levels of earplugs, windproof, and tremor resistance?

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I recently picked up a newer Xbox 1 controller to utilize the bluetooth in my pc. I love they added a textured grip to it since the older 360 controllers would get a bit slippery after some extended sessions of play.

https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fextralife.com/Earplugs has the list for roar levels.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Molten Tigrex should come back and have level 6 roars.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/p9i4RbCyzzM

Ooooh look at the pretty lights.

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The new water elder looks really neat. I bet its armor is going to be fun to wear.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Some people may hate me to say this or call me a sadist but if they brought back underwater combat I wouldn’t say no.

I liked underwater combat in tri.

• Options
    Underwater combat is both exceptionally hard to do well, and can cause motion sickness in a lot of people. I don't blame anyone for not implementing it. It can be a cool idea, but usually doesn't pan out well.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »

It's not restricted to PAX-goers, correct? I mean...I've decided not to go to PAX, but I do live somewhat close by, and am definitely interested in that event.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Arch Tempered Elders are some of the hardest things in the game, yeah? Is AT Zora Magdaros like that as well, or is it just harder than the regular Zora's "basically free"?

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Arch Tempered Elders are some of the hardest things in the game, yeah? Is AT Zora Magdaros like that as well, or is it just harder than the regular Zora's "basically free"?

I'm imagining that a magma core eruption would one-shot you if you don't go in prepared.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
  • Options
    AT Zorah is a significant step up from regular in that you actually need to do all the shit you're supposed to do for Zorah. you need to actually pay attention to the core attacks, fight nergi, and make damn sure he doesn't hit the wall (it blows in three hits). and you need to do all this at a good pace since the time limit is tight.

• Options
    Hadn't been using my light bowguns as much lately since my only coherent armor set was built around blast attack, but now I've finished putting together my armor set with spare shot and focus and special ammo boost and some other stuff, and I'm gonna take this Great Bowgun I finished a few days ago and I'm gonna see how much of a fight a monster can be incapacitated for.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    AT Zorah is a significant step up from regular in that you actually need to do all the shit you're supposed to do for Zorah. you need to actually pay attention to the core attacks, fight nergi, and make damn sure he doesn't hit the wall (it blows in three hits). and you need to do all this at a good pace since the time limit is tight.

I liked AT Zorah a lot because it's an actual event now and not ride the pony for 15 minutes, then shoot off fireworks anymore

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Actually watched the dev diary last night. That's quite a lot of changes and rebalancing! I'm curious how it'll shake things up in the end.

• Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Actually watched the dev diary last night. That's quite a lot of changes and rebalancing! I'm curious how it'll shake things up in the end.

I'm kind of looking forward to the Guardian armor set along with the 2-hunter scaling. I have a friend who's just having a hard time in HR. Like, she's still using LR armor and is getting one-shot by Pink Rathian. I've been trying to get her through hunts...but it's been rough sailing when she gets carted when the target we're hunting looks at her.

• Options
    Honest curiosity, but if they're still using LR gear, I'm wondering how they're getting one shot. Did they not upgrade the gear with armor spheres? It's still painful, but you should be able to get through several of the first HR hunts with fully upgraded LR gear. Plus they could always just go run an expedition or two for materials to make the HR bone armor or something.

Plus hopefully they're keeping the armor and power charms in their inventory. I'm actively playing through the HR missions right now on PC, if y'all ever need someone to doot for ya.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I'm kind of looking forward to the Guardian armor set along with the 2-hunter scaling. I have a friend who's just having a hard time in HR. Like, she's still using LR armor and is getting one-shot by Pink Rathian. I've been trying to get her through hunts...but it's been rough sailing when she gets carted when the target we're hunting looks at her.

Just realized I only have you on Origin, but not on Steam, couldn't find you with the name in your sig.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Honest curiosity, but if they're still using LR gear, I'm wondering how they're getting one shot. Did they not upgrade the gear with armor spheres? It's still painful, but you should be able to get through several of the first HR hunts with fully upgraded LR gear. Plus they could always just go run an expedition or two for materials to make the HR bone armor or something.

Plus hopefully they're keeping the armor and power charms in their inventory. I'm actively playing through the HR missions right now on PC, if y'all ever need someone to doot for ya.

That's the main thing: she didn't. What's even worse, she's mostly using the LR bone armor (although, the bits that aren't bone are LR ingot). Honestly, I'm thinking I'll try to run her through a few HR Legiana runs with another friend to get her at least the Legiana-b helm and waist so she can get the boosted hunt rewards along with some survivability with the divine blessing buff.

On the other side of the coin, that other friend and I did the White Winds of the New World hunt last night. It was one of those "well...it's 2am, so I could probably try it once, then it's definitely off to bed" things. Managed to successfully finish it with literally seconds to spare (the red arm was overlapping the blue arm on the timer). I really thought we were turbo-screwed because we kept shock trapping the wrong critters for capturing in an attempt to speed things along. But, because of all that, rainbow armor pigment get! Also importantly, Lunastra/Xeno HBG get!
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Just realized I only have you on Origin, but not on Steam, couldn't find you with the name in your sig.

Funny thing, I just found you through the High-End WANGTech group that we're both in thanks to The Division.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Wow, that's crazy. I guess she just made a b-line through LR to try and finish the main story? I applaud making it that far. Just added the two of you on Steam. In theory I just fixed my display profile name to Saldonas too.

• Options
    She may have had a fair bit of help getting to HR. In hindsight, though, I think I did her a massive disservice by 'helping' the way I did (basically, run in with the HR event weapons and destroying targets...if the target was a flier, I'd throw on Master Mounter and insect glaive and nullify the baddie for most of the fight).

• Options
    Alrighty, big blue baby has been handled. Time to do mission cleanup and finish up anything remaining to hopefully squeeze in some Kulve before it's gone.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I've been revisisiting World what with this lengthy event chain and my youngest son playing as well.

What I've been doing is creating characters and zipping through the story through xeno trying out the various weapons I've not touched before.

Hunting Horn was a nice surprise. I was worried at first reapplying buffs would be tedious or that dps would be trash. Neither were bad it was a fun weapon.

Insect Glaive, while fun, had some bad feels. It seemed like the monster was always about done in a zone by the time I'd get properly buffed. And non-buffed seemed anemic.

Charge Blade threw me for a while. My old man fingers betraying me trying to do the setup combos to get access to the Super Amp. But in the end it is both fun and rewarding to learn.

The gunlance is up next, but a bit burned out.

• Options
    What was the speed stat on your kinsect when you were trying the insect glaive? Higher speeds make it easier to get the buffs up, since you don't have to lead your shots as much.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Yup, super high speed kinsect is the key to getting your extracts quicky. Suppose you could also try point-blanking them too.

Just completed the initial Geralt quest. Do I only get a title from running that and completing everything? Also crafted the armor set, but is there a non-full set you can make somehow?

Saldonas on
  • Options
    I guess I'm doing sub-optimal IG techniques. The only buffs I actually want for 90% of the critters are orange and white. Red has consistently gotten me carted, and I'd rather stay airborne (or mounted) for as much of a fight as possible. Granted, this makes fights last a little longer, but it's been working pretty well for all but the 15 minute hunts.

• Options
    I think I used psuedocath. It was speedy, IIRC. Lots of stick smacking unless I was far enough away to shoot the goo.

Just for some reason it felt like I was penalized without the buffs, if that makes sense. Where some of the other weapons the buffs feel like bonuses.

On a side note IG aerial hopping trivializes some monsters. Absolutely wrecks a few of them, IMHO.

• Options
    the insect glaive is dogshit without red and white buffs, so you're correct on that

that said, it shouldn't be taking a ton of time to pick up the buffs. i'm not a great shot and i can usually manage it in about 20 seconds or so. you're aiming for the right spots? the parts the monster uses to attack give red, wings or legs give white, and most of the rest is orange. tip of the tail is green.

• Options
    Yeah maybe I wasn't prioritizing buffing enough. Sort of a self fulfilling hunting style of mediocrity.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    Yeah maybe I wasn't prioritizing buffing enough. Sort of a self fulfilling hunting style of mediocrity.
    it's really not even worth it to swing until you get those buffs up

the best way to go about it is to pick up red and white right away, then wait a bit for the duration to run, then pick up orange. getting the third buff instantly resets the buff timer, so you can effectively double the buff duration.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    the insect glaive is dogshit without red and white buffs, so you're correct on that

that said, it shouldn't be taking a ton of time to pick up the buffs. i'm not a great shot and i can usually manage it in about 20 seconds or so. you're aiming for the right spots? the parts the monster uses to attack give red, wings or legs give white, and most of the rest is orange. tip of the tail is green.

I wouldn't quite go that far. Sub-optimal, sure, but it still deals damage and breaks parts just fine without red.

Also, I'm pretty sure on most critters (barring Behemoth), red is extracted from the head.

Erlkönig on
  • Options

I wouldn't quite go that far. Sub-optimal, sure, but it still deals damage and breaks parts just fine without red.

Also, I'm pretty sure on most critters (barring Behemoth), red is extracted from the head.
    the damage is terrible without red, especially the ground combo, which may as well be unusable. even with buffs the glaive only has decent-to-good damage output. not taking red is tanking your damage for no real benefit. even if you're airborne, it's still a damage buff you're not getting, and airborne glaive needs all the help it can get

you do usually get red from the head, but that's also because most monsters attack with their face. you can still frequently get red essence from front claws and the like as well.

• Options
    Red gives you more damage per swing and also makes you hit like, twice as much per attack, doesn't it? So you're dealing less than half damage without it.

• Options

the damage is terrible without red, especially the ground combo, which may as well be unusable. even with buffs the glaive only has decent-to-good damage output. not taking red is tanking your damage for no real benefit. even if you're airborne, it's still a damage buff you're not getting, and airborne glaive needs all the help it can get

you do usually get red from the head, but that's also because most monsters attack with their face. you can still frequently get red essence from front claws and the like as well.

Except that's not true at all. If you're spending most of a fight in the air, red buff is literally the single worst thing you could possibly get. Yes, you lose the 10-15% attack bonus, but you're also not going to be spinning right on through your target and into their line of fire. I'll take reliable mobility over a 15% boost to attack and greater chance of getting carted any day.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think I need a quick refresher for farming monster drops. Say I want a Rathalos ruby. The in game hunter guide says it's a potential drop from:

-Breaking the head and back
    -Carving a severed tail
    -As a general carving award

It is not however listed as a general reward, which my understanding is simply the rewards you get on the quest screen at the end of a hunt. The wiki page mostly corroborates this, but also says it's a 1% capture reward as well. My limited understanding was also that capturing a monster just gives more loot from the Rewards list, but it's possible I'm utterly wrong.

Either way, my question is what's the best course of action if I want a ruby? Or more general, an item that appears on the carve list, but not the reward list (there are some other items I need that are like this as well)? Apart from breaking* and severing, should I be trying to kill the thing so I get 3 carve rolls, or should I be capturing it because every capture reward is a roll and there's technically more of them? Honestly this is where the whole kill/capture system seems oddly backwards. My gut reaction is to think "capturing is better than killing", but my other gut reaction is that the harder action leads to better rewards, and it's almost ridiculous how easier it is to capture (end the fight instantly and painlessly, or keep fighting a monster that's at maximum aggression gee what a conundrum).

*Incidentally, about breaking. This is just the reward on the quest screen that says "Broke X part", right? I don't have to also actually look for an item on the battlefield that breaks off, right? I mean I know that's a thing that happens as well, but I'm also terrible at actually noticing those random fragments. But simply put, if an item is got by breaking a part, then I just have to break it and cross my fingers at the reward screen, yeah?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    i think capturing and killing work out to be about the same. capturing might be marginally better, but i'm not positive. your best bet is to see if you have any gold box investigations.

• Options
    I think capturing is better? But I think I've gotten most of my gems thus far from gold investigation rewards, so make sure you've got an investigation with some of those. I don't know the actual numbers, but it feels like those are the best source of gems by far.

• Options
    There was a lot of initial confusion on kill/capture for MHW, but they both have the exact same reward tables. So generally if you can capture it, do it since it's faster.

Also, if you want a better shot at the ruby, make sure to run investigations with gold and silver rewards.