As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If actually made, that Gundam Nu would be a fleet killer with that many funnels. :biggrin:

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    just wanna note that hobby link japan is having their spring sale and just about everything- gunpla, zoids, etc- is discounted by some amount

ends in like 15 hours from now, may be worth checking out

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm so sad about that HLJ site redesign. It's so slow n' unresponsive on mobile now. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I’m watching Gundam Build Divers now that itMs on Funimation and am really digging it but I have to say, why can’t I get a model of that Tequila Gundam with the fuckin’ banjo beam rifle and coffin missile pod?!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I’m watching Gundam Build Divers now that itMs on Funimation and am really digging it but I have to say, why can’t I get a model of that Tequila Gundam with the fuckin’ banjo beam rifle and coffin missile pod?!

But you can build that stuff....

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Right?

They never did a model for Ogre's second suit either. Bums me out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Thought this might be of interest to some people here: Uniqlo has a line of shirts for the Gundam 40th anniversary https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/ut-graphic-tees/gundam

The one with the z'gok peeking out of the pocket is my favorite, though traumatized Amuro is pretty good too.

MelonTron on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Trying, finally, to do the pinning job I've put off for 10 years.

After many measurements, I found that.. well.. half a millimeter makes a ton of difference:

- The original peg is 1.6mm diameter.
    - Paperclips were 1.0mm diameter (stupid jumbos).
    - Except for a coated silver version, all the Michaels had was 16 gauge, which is 1.4mm (I need 14 gauge brass I suspect)
    - My pin vice has a 1.5mm bore for its large size. I think the medium is 1.2 or 1.3...

So, I give it a go. 1.5mm hole to replace a 1.6mm peg with 1.4mm wire. Naturally, things are loose, but super glue hopefully will pick up the slack, maybe with some nail polish reinforcement.

h2sSYFkh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I may be too late, but: https://www.mcmaster.com

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    my favorite GM is gettin an MG

20190401_mg_gm_coldtype_02.jpg

that's gonna bring me up to three master grades, so at least my hyaku shiki won't be lonely

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I may be too late, but: https://www.mcmaster.com

But I want it NOOOW!

:D Seriously, though, going forward I'll look into this site!

Couple things.

First, my order from like a month and a half ago that had an estimated delivery of "March 18th through April 2nd" is 1 day out from expiring. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I somehow doubt it'll magically show up tomorrow.

Second: At Barnes and Noble today, I saw that they had Super Minipla for Sentai (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers)! Specifically, they had the Shogun Megazord and what I think was a combination FalconZord and Ninja Megazord.

I've gone on record that I really, REALLY want a good Shogun Megazord with FalconZord. And this would fit the bill... except I've heard they are incredibly tiny, AND the combo box was $100 and the Shogun was $70. Holy shit.. that's a hell of a high price to pay! And this coming from the guy STILL on the fence about a $450 Zoid!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Could you do the nail polish trick on your paperclip posts to get them the right size? May be more effort than it's worth though.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Could you do the nail polish trick on your paperclip posts to get them the right size? May be more effort than it's worth though.

That's my current plan. A few layers should do the trick.

Effort's out the window on this one. I'm committing. :D

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

That's my current plan. A few layers should do the trick.

Effort's out the window on this one. I'm committing. :D

I bought some copper rod from the model train section at Hobby Lobby years ago, and that one package has lasted me a decade of pinning various models. It works perfectly with a 5/64" drill bit.

• Options
    Yeah. I might just do that. This isn't a lost cause by any stretch, but I'd like to take the guesswork out of things.

Finally, after a day of searching, I found the damned pieces I am trying to fix! One I put in a "safe" place (with the rest of my gunpla tools), and the other, good piece was in a small holding dish I used to have in my kitchen area.

So here you can see the root of the problem, and what I'm dealing with. Again, the wire is 1.4mm in diameter, the pin is 1.6mm in diameter.

Healthy part and pin on left, broken part and pin replacement on right.

gPPa0cph.jpg?1

I'm actually REALLY happy with how the drill hole (1.5mm) and the wire lined up after the super glue and a few minutes of holding it in place.

But the trick is the other side. If I completely drill out the broken pin, there will be a sizable gap. If I don't, it'll likely lead to stress on the pin as the plastic will not be structurally sound.

I'm using a piece of wire I cut off for reference on the "Good" piece.

OOmQKG4h.jpg

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Would drill into the pin to break it apart and extract it be viable?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That is hopefully my best case scenario. I don't want to damage the white piece if I can avoid it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    If you expect to do a lot of pin removal, you should look into a Drive Punch or Pin Punch set. I bought mine because I have customized some of my Transformers, and it's essential due to the pins they use in construction.

• Options
    Yaaaay!

I drilled out the bad pin, and trimmed down the copper...

O1zM2jIh.jpg

And then I applied a TON of nail polish. It was fairly thick and sticky, so I just globbed it on and stuck/rotated the pieces together. if it breaks, I'll just apply more until it is solid.

You really can't tell!

H5XdSFxh.jpg

z6ptReQh.jpg

• Options
    we got non-CG photos of the Maganac and Ex-S now

hgac-maganac.jpg
    hgac-maganac3.jpg

mg-ex-s-gundam-version-1-point-59.jpg
    mg-ex-s-gundam-version-1-point-51.jpg

also i put in my preorder for two combat Hrududus, i'm just gonna get the regular Advanced Hazel off amazon or something cos i don't really see myself using the p-bandai joints

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    So... uh...

I just did my taxes. And my refund is pretty decent.

Decent enough, in fact, that I can either be responsible and put a huge dent into one of my credit cards...

Or get the toy I've been wanting for a while now. *cough*

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I vote option 2!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    be responsible

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Nobody comes to the gunpla thread to be responsible.

• Options
    gib me magnac friend

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So... uh...

I just did my taxes. And my refund is pretty decent.

Decent enough, in fact, that I can either be responsible and put a huge dent into one of my credit cards...

Or get the toy I've been wanting for a while now. *cough*

Being responsible now will help you to be able to buy even MORE awesome toys in the future. In fact, paying a big chunk off a credit card now should instantly lower your repayments, helping you save more money almost straight away!

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Not paying insane interest on a giant sum of money will always bring you more joy than plastic robot models

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Nobody comes to the gunpla thread to be responsible.
    Well, yes, technically, I do come here to revel in plastic goodness, creativity, and the joy of others sharing my hobby, not to be told I shouldn't spend money. But clearly I'm in a minority. :P

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I mean, I've been living vicariously through you all (and the Warhammer 40,000 threads) in part because I'm trying to be responsible and not spend my dwindling savings on this kind of stuff.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    See, that's great. I'm lucky enough not to have a funds problem, but I definitely have space issues and a backlog of things to paint, so I'm cold turkey on only buying the things I absolutely definitely want and care about.
    That means there's tons of lovely stuff I get to see here instead where I wouldn't normally~

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I'm the same as you. I have the disposable funds to buy anything I want. Just no space for everything I want. So I lurk this thread to see what new models are out there and maybe pick one up if it is super special. But my massive model building days are over. Even sold a ton of them early on just to clear space.

So yeah, I'm being sarcastic in saying buy the model. In the long run it is much better to clear that debt and be free to buy that next model or cool toy you really want.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    See, talking about responsibility made things all serious in here. Someone post a giant robot. :P

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Ok.

I still really want a Neo Zeong

https://youtu.be/uA20eSjI2Jg

I think I'm gonna start putting some money away for it once I get this dentist shit paid off.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    need some serious space to display that big giant baby

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Speaking of Neo Zeong, I should share my favorite kits I saw displayed at Gundam Base Tokyo

3w90jn5gqzqu.jpeg
    tmv10remzkcn.jpeg
    b0a6ll1ddmcg.jpeg

• Options
    I knew the Neo Zeong was big.

I never really got how big until he did a size comparison with the mega size Unicorn, which I own, in that vid.

It's only like half the total height.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I am bad at remembering to take WIP photos and being responsible with my tax return. But here is what I having been working on for the past 2 weeks waiting for it's top coat to dry.

bot1vd63ltus.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This thread got me to dust off my old YNAB account and start making a budget. Because I AM going to buy that weaponized Mechagodzilla when I get a chance! :)

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    21233-7.jpeg

Boy

They are going batshit on Aoz

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg