Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Yeah I have a complete opposite online experience to those guys. Very few bad connections for me

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I don't mind titty in fighting games and never have but man do I find pandering ass character designs annoying.

And while I'm still a big SC fan god do I hope they tone that shit down in the next one.

I actually felt that as far as that went SCV was somewhat a step in the right direction then the rude tits came roaring back in VI. Even got rude tits on characters who personality wise would not have rude tits.

give me geralt with big honking tits

one tit for monsters, one tit for humans

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i watched a smash tournament for the first time ever last night and i gotta say my interest is super piqued

maybe ill buy the online bit when i get back home after christmas

careful with that online bit

idk the tournament I watched was 100% online, and apart from a few people who were very obviously wifi users, it seemed quite good.

i guess in the open sea its just like any other game though

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    since I've been stuck playing on wifi because the LAN adapter I got was a lemon, I'm looking forward to magically feeling 10x better once the replacement gets here. Just kidding I can't actually feel the difference between playing online over wifi and local play.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Comes down to just moves again. Attacks are moves, while moving is movement. But moves that dont attack are still moves, while movement that has a hitbox is still movement. (Xrd Raven airdash) Sucks that there isn't a clearer answer.

Looking something up, the term IS still used. The achievements for Dead or Alive 5 have:
    How Do I Fight? - Display the Move List
    How Do I Fight Like a Pro? - Display the Move Details
    Exercise Newbie - Complete all moves for a character in Command Training

Super SF4 has achievements:
    EXtra! EXtra! - Battle requires courage! Train by using your EX Gauge to successfully land 100 EX Moves!
    Special Movement - Do a Special Move 100 times! If you're a true student of the Rindo-kan dojo, it's your duty!

It would just depend on how consistent you can be when working with your audience, and how high level you want to take the glossary. Maybe something like: (I'm trying to make this an indented list as much as I can)

Action: Anything you can do other than just standing there doing nothing.
    --Movement: Forward, backward, up, down, and in 3D fighters movement towards the camera and away from the camera. Movement is an action.
    --Attacks: Something that does damage to the opponent, or sets up an action that could result in damage later (like placing a bomb on the playing field that will explode at a later time). Attacking is an Action.
    ----Normal attacks: Often referred to as "normals", an attack performed by pressing one of the game's primary attack buttons, such as a Punch or Kick. Many games allow Normal Attacks to be performed while standing, crouching, and jumping.
    ----Special Attacks: An attack usually performed by an input more complex than a single button alone, often with additional special properties, such as increased attack range compared to a normal attack, or creating a projectile which damages the opponent.
    --Special Moves: Often shortened to Moves, Special Moves include all Special Attacks, as well as character-specific movement options. E.g. a character that can jump higher than normal by entering a different input than the standard Jump input has a Special Move.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    Comes down to just moves again. Attacks are moves, while moving is movement. But moves that dont attack are still moves, while movement that has a hitbox is still movement. (Xrd Raven airdash) Sucks that there isn't a clearer answer.

Looking something up, the term IS still used. The achievements for Dead or Alive 5 have:
    How Do I Fight? - Display the Move List
    How Do I Fight Like a Pro? - Display the Move Details
    Exercise Newbie - Complete all moves for a character in Command Training

Super SF4 has achievements:
    EXtra! EXtra! - Battle requires courage! Train by using your EX Gauge to successfully land 100 EX Moves!
    Special Movement - Do a Special Move 100 times! If you're a true student of the Rindo-kan dojo, it's your duty!

It would just depend on how consistent you can be when working with your audience, and how high level you want to take the glossary. Maybe something like: (I'm trying to make this an indented list as much as I can)

Action: Anything you can do other than just standing there doing nothing.
    --Movement: Forward, backward, up, down, and in 3D fighters movement towards the camera and away from the camera. Movement is an action.
    --Attacks: Something that does damage to the opponent, or sets up an action that could result in damage later (like placing a bomb on the playing field that will explode at a later time). Attacking is an Action.
    ----Normal attacks: Often referred to as "normals", an attack performed by pressing one of the game's primary attack buttons, such as a Punch or Kick. Many games allow Normal Attacks to be performed while standing, crouching, and jumping.
    ----Special Attacks: An attack usually performed by an input more complex than a single button alone, often with additional special properties, such as increased attack range compared to a normal attack, or creating a projectile which damages the opponent.
    --Special Moves: Often shortened to Moves, Special Moves include all Special Attacks, as well as character-specific movement options. E.g. a character that can jump higher than normal by entering a different input than the standard Jump input has a Special Move.

Hmm... those are good examples.

Maybe I'm underestimating the non-FGC audience? I just want to design with as few assumptions about prior knowledge as possible, so I can streamline the path from "not even a gamer" to "FGC enthusiast". But maybe people will pick up on it anyway?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think if you're talking purely in terms of simple language

"movement" is different from "moves" or "a move"

Those second two I think are pretty clearly definable as separate from the concept of movement

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I've been thinking about this, and using the word 'move' to mean 'attack' isn't really just a videogame thing. I typed 'karate moves' into google on a lark, and lo and behold, there are almost no gaming hits. I think even a total non-player will be able to follow your gist.

https://youtu.be/QC0rK3HGj6M

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah when you say "Look at his moves" folks usually assert that to an action.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Are these hypothetical moves like Jagger or not

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Are these hypothetical moves like Jagger or not

I don't have the licensing budget to answer that question.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The idea that the netcode for ultimate is worse than the netcode for Smash 4 is bananas

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Why does it seem like some of these other low rank folks are lag switching in sc6?

• Options
    Occam's Razor says it is probably because they're lag switching

• Options
    What is their motivation to cheat... At a fighting game?

• Options
    Why do people use aimbots in FPSeses

• Options
    Oh I get it, too troll people?

Is funny I almost won anyway

• Options
    SunrizeSunrize Registered User regular
    More frequently it's because they think they are already good and they will do fine once they get to their "real" mmr, and somehow never turn the cheats off...

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah I have a complete opposite online experience to those guys. Very few bad connections for me

Are you playing mostly 1v1s, against friends or randoms?

Because I play solely 4 player free for alls and I have seen some fucking TERRIBLE connections. Not just like input delay, but like the game stopping and stuttering every couple seconds. I suicided one match because I couldn't deal with it.

I'd say about 10% of my matches have been unplayable. Maybe 40% with noticeable delay.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    1v1s, free for alls I can see being bad if the network stuff operates the way I think it does but I also wouldn't willingly go anywhere near 4 player shitshows in the first place so I don't have a frame of reference for that

I did play a couple hours of 2v2 online with a buddy on the couch on monday and we were shocked at those being indistinguishable from offline

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah I've never had a problem playing 2v2 with a friend on the same console, even with Smash 4

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I use "moves", the plural noun, all the time when talking in real life with people about fighting and whatnot, but it's somewhat annoying inside a formalized setting where nomenclature matters because it is written literally identically to "moves", the active tense of "to move", which is often used to describe a whole variety of things (e.g. "this moves data", which is not the same as "this move's data", which is not the same as "moves [value or object] to here [in memory]" which is not the same as "moves [entity] to here [coordinate location]"). It's an annoyingly overloaded word which you wind up needing to write your descriptions and whatnot else around, and which makes it annoying to read for somebody new to the codebase.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    im worried I could be a full smash convert ???

today's firsts:

- Turned on omega/battlefield only stages
    - Used block button
    - Jumped off stage to finish someone off then get back to stage

Zelda is super sick

Her down-B feels grimy

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    You know I actually like playing 1v1 Smash more than I like watching it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I would honestly probably at least fuck with and support smash a little bit if our local smash scene wasn't a grotesque caricature of everything I dislike about the national scene.

I guess maybe not smash as a whole because I cannot stand anything about melee. But I have had fun with smash 4 and ultimate looks neat.

• Options
    Oh no like I think Smash gets a lot of undeserved shit but the scene is generally as terrible as people say.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I actually like playing 1v1 Smash more than I like watching it.

i find im like this with most games I play but maybe thats me

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I definitely don't like watching 1v1 Smash, items or no items!

But I clearly don't mind playing 1v1 Smash, as evidenced by the dozen or so hours I've put into the single player of the new one. I clearly don't even mind playing a little 1v1 no items Smash (that's what the challenger fights seem to be?), but I know part of that is the thrill of unlocking a character and the fact that the match is only 1 stock, and is kind of a break from the other gimmick finds I mostly spend my time with.

I'm open to how that might change, because I definitely didn't enjoy watching Tekken until basically last year (I still don't like watching matches with Jack in them in general!), but I would also probably find team-based Smash matches more entertaining to watch.

I recall that in the distant past for Brawl, some folks tried to come up with a set of items that were, for lack of a better term, sufficiently weak to be usable in competition. It would still always be a side event to no-items Brawl, but I'm hoping some bunch of diehards try the same for Smash Ultimate. There are definitely some items that are super strong (like that bomb hold up and when it blows it deals a strong attack to everybody in the neighbourhood...), but the sheer quantity of characters combined with that I'd certainly be interested in seeing.

Because I'm a total freshmeat at Smash, I don't understand all sorts of things about characters in Smash:
    - Mario/Dr. Mario: his recovery ability seems super weak?
    - Captain Falcon: he's so fast and his hits do so much damage! He doesn't come with any projectiles or projectile deflect/absorb abilities, but is that even a meaningful weakness for him?
    - Wii Fit Trainer: it seems like part of her gimmick is that many of her attacks hit in front and behind her, but once she has to punch it out with anybody who has a sword, it seems like her attacks get easily beaten?
    - Simon: his tilt and smash moves reach SO FAR! His neutral air A hits all around him! His air normals can attack at so many angles and from so far away! He has both an uppercut move and the ability to grab the stage edge with his whip! His projectiles cover so many angles, and the axe even ignores terrain! How do you fight this guy?!
    - If you've been popped up into the air and you've got enough percentage built up that you tumble for a long time on your way down, how do you fight against enemies who are hanging around waiting to up-tilt or up-smash you? If they're characters like Simon or Meta Knight, it feels like there's no attack that I can challenge them with. I've never once guessed an air dodge correctly in this situation, but surely that's not the only option?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    I definitely don't like watching 1v1 Smash, items or no items!

But I clearly don't mind playing 1v1 Smash, as evidenced by the dozen or so hours I've put into the single player of the new one. I clearly don't even mind playing a little 1v1 no items Smash (that's what the challenger fights seem to be?), but I know part of that is the thrill of unlocking a character and the fact that the match is only 1 stock, and is kind of a break from the other gimmick finds I mostly spend my time with.

I'm open to how that might change, because I definitely didn't enjoy watching Tekken until basically last year (I still don't like watching matches with Jack in them in general!), but I would also probably find team-based Smash matches more entertaining to watch.

I recall that in the distant past for Brawl, some folks tried to come up with a set of items that were, for lack of a better term, sufficiently weak to be usable in competition. It would still always be a side event to no-items Brawl, but I'm hoping some bunch of diehards try the same for Smash Ultimate. There are definitely some items that are super strong (like that bomb hold up and when it blows it deals a strong attack to everybody in the neighbourhood...), but the sheer quantity of characters combined with that I'd certainly be interested in seeing.

Because I'm a total freshmeat at Smash, I don't understand all sorts of things about characters in Smash:
    - Mario/Dr. Mario: his recovery ability seems super weak?
    - Captain Falcon: he's so fast and his hits do so much damage! He doesn't come with any projectiles or projectile deflect/absorb abilities, but is that even a meaningful weakness for him?
    - Wii Fit Trainer: it seems like part of her gimmick is that many of her attacks hit in front and behind her, but once she has to punch it out with anybody who has a sword, it seems like her attacks get easily beaten?
    - Simon: his tilt and smash moves reach SO FAR! His neutral air A hits all around him! His air normals can attack at so many angles and from so far away! He has both an uppercut move and the ability to grab the stage edge with his whip! His projectiles cover so many angles, and the axe even ignores terrain! How do you fight this guy?!
    - If you've been popped up into the air and you've got enough percentage built up that you tumble for a long time on your way down, how do you fight against enemies who are hanging around waiting to up-tilt or up-smash you? If they're characters like Simon or Meta Knight, it feels like there's no attack that I can challenge them with. I've never once guessed an air dodge correctly in this situation, but surely that's not the only option?

Against sword users, blocking is your friend, since weapons naturally beat body parts on attacks (for obvious reasons). So you want to bait the hit and dodge or block it, then punish them. Or just use something faster if it's someone like Ike.

Coming back down, you have a few options. Everyone can air dodge (and directional dodges can avoid especially well but leave you open after). Many characters with aimed Up+B moves (e.g. Fox) can aim them downward, and they tend to be very fast. Your opponent is left to guess if you're coming straight at them or just using it to get down somewhere else quickly (i.e. an angle down and away from them). If you can drop something, that will discourage them (e.g. Link/Samus can drop bombs). Kirby laughs at the idea (Down+B stone is invincible). In general though, being in the air is a disadvantageous position against a grounded enemy because you're forced to move towards them. Anything that's good for sudden movement can help a lot.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    how do people do short hops in smash

• Options

If you press attack and jump at the same time, you do a really low jump attack. I only found about this by reading the technique descriptions in the Tips section.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

If you press attack and jump at the same time, you do a really low jump attack. I only found about this by reading the technique descriptions in the Tips section.
    i think people recommend putting jump on a button to make it really easy but its supposed to be pretty generous in ultimate because of the buffer

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »

i think people recommend putting jump on a button to make it really easy but its supposed to be pretty generous in ultimate because of the buffer

I kind of wish I could do that short jump without doing that attack, though. Sometimes I just want to hop over something and not kick the bomb or the guy doing a counter-stance, y'know?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I think this is a new shortcut they added in ultimate, before you just had to be really precise at pressing jump for the shortest possible time or something. The shortcut is much better.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    sc6 ranked reminds me of vanilla sf4 ranked when you just had bp
    i can lose all day and still gain points! hurray!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Soul Calibur 6 .... got a patch! And 2B 12 18!

Patch notes!

My main gets ... nothing! Thanks, Gene Wilder!

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    From Steamcharts:

SFV average players: 1,288.4
    DBFZ average players: 1,316.7
    Tekken 7 average players: 2,479.4
    SOULCALIBUR VI average players: 958.4
    Injustice 2 average players: 330.3
    Mortal Kombat X average Players: 578.0

• Options
    SC6 patch notes mostly skate over my head, but both of my chars walked away with 100% buffs so go me

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Groh buffs yay.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Brolo wrote: »
    From Steamcharts:

SFV average players: 1,288.4
    DBFZ average players: 1,316.7
    Tekken 7 average players: 2,479.4
    SOULCALIBUR VI average players: 958.4
    Injustice 2 average players: 330.3
    Mortal Kombat X average Players: 578.0

i guess a factor is lack of cross play, but I've heard people not ordinarily prone to exaggeration declare that PC DBZ online is "dead", so there are some surprising numbers here to me

but maybe DBZ has followed in the GG tradition and literally nobody queues ranked and they all just hang out in lobbies ???

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.