As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    well enterprise’s ending robbed the show of any ability to stand on its own as a separate installation and made it all basically explicitly inferior in the shadow of TNG

which i mean

fair

but it’s just rude to say it out loud

I mean, in fairness, if they were all holograms it'd explain why they were all such incomplete people most of the time.

Also, apropos of nothing, Jolene Blalock fidgets a lot and it makes her seem weirdly un-Vulcan to me, but that's probably something idiosyncratic to me.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Probably involuntary due to how goddamn uncomfortable that uniform must have been.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Enterprise's finale wasn't just awful, it was cruel.

"Hey, your series finale's actually a tie-on episode to a show that finished eleven years ago. Enjoy being props for a B-plot that nobody is even remotely invested in and not actually getting anything of a personal ending for your own show's cast!"

I didn't even like the show that much and was still pissed that they'd do that to the cast.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Enterprise's finale wasn't just awful, it was cruel.

"Hey, your series finale's actually a tie-on episode to a show that finished eleven years ago. Enjoy being props for a B-plot that nobody is even remotely invested in and not actually getting anything of a personal ending for your own show's cast!"

I didn't even like the show that much and was still pissed that they'd do that to the cast.

Man, it was cruel to do to Jonathan Frakes, too. "Just pretend you look as young as you did 16 years ago, it'll be fine." AND it retroactively makes the original TNG episode it's based on worse. It was a huge fuck you to the entire franchise.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    We're rewatching the entirety of TNG here, and S7 really feels like they just threw open the door to the writers' room and asked for all the stuff in the "too weird to be a real episode" folder, knowing that it would be the last season.

I wonder if someone would have to draft a memo stating that telepathic/empathic races are officially barred from working in a certain area of the Enterprise-D because it's literally haunted and will drive you to suicide.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Probably involuntary due to how goddamn uncomfortable that uniform must have been.

I feel really bad for Jolene Blalock

Like, she's a self-declared trekkie and big TOS fan, she begged them to do more with her character and was saying things like "in the script I'm eating with my hands! Vulcans don't do that!" And yet they just messed around and wrote t'pol really shoddily. Plus she thought the finale was appalling and openly stated it... Basically it sucks that Enterprise ground the joy out of the people making it as much as it did us watching it.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Berman and Braga thinking they were doing us a favor is something I still ponder. 20 years of making Star Trek and they still didn't get it, it's amazing

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Like, she's a self-declared trekkie and big TOS fan, she begged them to do more with her character and was saying things like "in the script I'm eating with my hands! Vulcans don't do that!" And yet they just messed around and wrote t'pol really shoddily. Plus she thought the finale was appalling and openly stated it... Basically it sucks that Enterprise ground the joy out of the people making it as much as it did us watching it.

Enterprise treated all it's actors badly. Good or bad, happy or not, they all got fucked.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    We're rewatching the entirety of TNG here, and S7 really feels like they just threw open the door to the writers' room and asked for all the stuff in the "too weird to be a real episode" folder, knowing that it would be the last season.

I wonder if someone would have to draft a memo stating that telepathic/empathic races are officially barred from working in a certain area of the Enterprise-D because it's literally haunted and will drive you to suicide.
    shryke wrote: »

Enterprise treated all it's actors badly. Good or bad, happy or not, they all got fucked.

Yeah, I really feel like these two threads are connected. Like, the reason DS9 worked while both Voyager and Enterprise floundered seems to boil down to which group of writers were actually interested in leaning into their respective shows central pitch. The former fully bought into increased serialization and investigating how Starfleet characters grapple with their ideals when thrown to the edge of the Federation. The latter two mostly just recycled old ideas that were better done on TNG. Which is sad because I think there were examples—Year of Hell and Equinox on Voyager, a decent number of episodes of season 4 Enterprise (which I would not exactly classify as good, but giving a glimpse of something that could have still become good)—that showed what both of them could have become if the producers had really believed in the concepts they hemselves had come up with.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Especially sad since the elevator pitches for both shows are obvious and solid, the writers just didn't have the guts to follow through on them. Not that Enterprises' core concept of how the Federation was formed required any deep soul searching or anything.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I feel like Enterprise's premise was botched from the beginning when they decided their prequel series should be about a war of future peoples.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Especially sad since the elevator pitches for both shows are obvious and solid, the writers just didn't have the guts to follow through on them. Not that Enterprises' core concept of how the Federation was formed required any deep soul searching or anything.

voyager a lot of the time felt to me like everyone was just tired of doing star trek and running on inertia

there are definitely moments where there’s some shine in the dirt but it was mostly just retreads of worn paths

enterprise is like you can see what they meant to do and they just be kept missing the mark

humans are bold and confident and value their individuality and are represented by a captain who is meant to embody that as we take our first steps into the final frontier but ends up just being a petulant asshole

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    And a ship's doctor who is willing to doom a sentient species to extinction because of evolution. Because that's how you build an interstellar alliance.

I suspect that Voyager suffered from some burnout problems, but the core idea was a good one. The writers were just phoning it in though. You have an entire new quadrant of the galaxy to populate and the first thing that you come up with are the Kazon.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I feel the Kazon were fine as a more numerous, but technologically inferior antagonist. The writers just had them overstay their welcome by a season or so.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Two problems with the Kazon:
    1) They were genuinely horrible people. Violent, sexist, expansionist, untrustworthy, etc. Like TNG season one Ferengi but without any of the effort put into their design (crescent moon ships, energy whips, big ears).
    2) They weren't actually that technologically inferior. Lower tech than Voyager, but close enough that they were a legitimate threat. It's not like the TNG episode where the crew got mojoed into attacking a planet that had lasers on its ships.

So what ended up happening was that the Kazon were so awful that cutting a deal with them never seemed like a realistic possibility, and they were enough of a threat that shooting followed by running seemed like the only possible interaction. If they had dialed things in the other direction, they could have had the Kazon come off as super low tech, but harmless, so Voyager feels comfortable giving them a couple nuggets of things in return for foodstuffs or whatever. Then the season builds up to Voyager discovering that the Kazon have managed to pick up more info from Voyager and have started using it to boot head. This leads to the finale where Voyager attempts to balance the scales (or doesn't, because that's how you get gangster planets) and something something ends up having to detour off the direct path home in order to avoid the Kazon held space.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

grumblethorn on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm always taken by surprise at how much of DS9's plot and characters were established early on. For some reason I think of Garak as a character that was added midway through, but he was there as of the 3rd episode. The Jem'Hadar are near the end of just season 2, and that basically kicks off what is the overall arcing conflict of the entire series.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'm always taken by surprise at how much of DS9's plot and characters were established early on. For some reason I think of Garak as a character that was added midway through, but he was there as of the 3rd episode. The Jem'Hadar are near the end of just season 2, and that basically kicks off what is the overall arcing conflict of the entire series.

The Dominion is first mentioned early in S2 even.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I feel like the writing team had a decent idea for the Kazon at the start but fell victim for the o'l give the boss the real option and an obvious bad choice so that the boss feels like he's making a real decision, but as always the boss goes with the "They're like Klingons but dumber and with bad hair" choice.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

In a Ferengi episode, of all things. Which was a clever way of doing it, IMO. The Dominion wanted to (and succeeded in) staying off the Federation's radar and spying on them without being seen for two years, but the Ferengi's expanding trade ventures into the Gamma Quadrant hit the supply chain of the Dominion and revealed them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Honestly the best way to introduce a major villain is to slowly drop in mention of them over time until the anticipation of finding out exactly what they're like has build up enough

which is exactly what they did with the Dominion and I loved that

• Options
    The S2 episode where they reveal everything is pretty great as a reveal.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Jean-Luc et al also have the benefit of a room full of writers giving them win-win third options, rather than the compromises and lesser evils that the DS-9 crew often had to settle for.

as opposed to DS9 which is written by a crazy man in the 50s.

I read somewhere that a suggested last shot of the series was going to be Benny Russel on a soundstage, DS9 script in hand.

I am so, so glad they never went with that. I'd have checked out of the entire franchise permanently if they'd done that.

Because then it wouldn't be real?

i think in a sense, yeah

obviously it’s not real real and there’s no illusion that it is, but, if it had turned out to all be some pulp sci fi written in the 40s or whatever it would not only have not made any sense in the context of the entire franchise but it would have eliminated a lot of the meaningful impact the events of the show had on the setting and on characters that existed outside DS9 itself

it would have been a real dumb way to end the series just to be cute

I don't feel that way at all. It doesn't change anything. It doesn't make anything we've seen different, not unless someone then, later, came along and decided to play with the idea that the trek world is a fake world instead of a real one, like Picard bursts out of Benny's word processor or something. Which I could understand a fan objecting to because then it changes the genre of the story from science fiction to...some kind of magical realism literary fantasy, like a Kurt Vonnegut novel. But if someone wanted to do that story, they always could have! They could have had Captain Kirk burst out of the screen and go around trying to pick up chicks with Gene Roddenberry or whatever. They didn't.

And I don't think doing it would be cute; that seems unnecessarily reductive to me. It would be a poetic grace note reaffirming what Trek has always been: the work of people here and now, in the real world we live in, projecting all their hopes for a better world than this one into this fictional work of art. A reminder that what makes Star Trek great isn't spaceships or explosions but something else, something more ineffable.

Someone can have a crushingly literal-minded reading of that if they want, but...why

But it means that all of star trek is a dreaming writer from the 50s work, and that means he also wrote the lines "a particularly erotic entry in my grandmother's journal" and "NO TREATY, NO VACCINE, AND NO TASHA YAR!"

override367 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    And because he was black and it was the 50s, his idea got stolen by a white guy who took all the credit for it and made all the money.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jean-Luc et al also have the benefit of a room full of writers giving them win-win third options, rather than the compromises and lesser evils that the DS-9 crew often had to settle for.

I read somewhere that a suggested last shot of the series was going to be Benny Russel on a soundstage, DS9 script in hand.

I am so, so glad they never went with that. I'd have checked out of the entire franchise permanently if they'd done that.

i think in a sense, yeah

obviously it’s not real real and there’s no illusion that it is, but, if it had turned out to all be some pulp sci fi written in the 40s or whatever it would not only have not made any sense in the context of the entire franchise but it would have eliminated a lot of the meaningful impact the events of the show had on the setting and on characters that existed outside DS9 itself

I don't feel that way at all. It doesn't change anything. It doesn't make anything we've seen different, not unless someone then, later, came along and decided to play with the idea that the trek world is a fake world instead of a real one, like Picard bursts out of Benny's word processor or something. Which I could understand a fan objecting to because then it changes the genre of the story from science fiction to...some kind of magical realism literary fantasy, like a Kurt Vonnegut novel. But if someone wanted to do that story, they always could have! They could have had Captain Kirk burst out of the screen and go around trying to pick up chicks with Gene Roddenberry or whatever. They didn't.

And I don't think doing it would be cute; that seems unnecessarily reductive to me. It would be a poetic grace note reaffirming what Trek has always been: the work of people here and now, in the real world we live in, projecting all their hopes for a better world than this one into this fictional work of art. A reminder that what makes Star Trek great isn't spaceships or explosions but something else, something more ineffable.

Someone can have a crushingly literal-minded reading of that if they want, but...why

But it means that all of star trek is a dreaming writer from the 50s work, and that means he also wrote the lines "a particularly erotic entry in my grandmother's journal" and "NO TREATY, NO VACCINE, AND NO TASHA YAR!"

That just makes him even more of a legend!

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Dammit, I'd almost successfully forgotten that episode existed.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular

In the Tula Berry contract negotiations with the Harlequin race.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i think in a sense, yeah

That just makes him even more of a legend!

ok maybe i'm convinced

• Options
    I think Season 1's Captive Pursuit had aliens that were the proto designs for the Dominion. The show runners probably didn't like the look and re-worked them but you can see a lot of early dominion design elements in them.
    https://youtu.be/kgZnyG8iEPI

Also, remember how the Vorta could shoot psychic hadokens in their first appearance? Wassupwidat?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I think Season 1's Captive Pursuit had aliens that were the proto designs for the Dominion. The show runners probably didn't like the look and re-worked them but you can see a lot of early dominion design elements in them.

Also, remember how the Vorta could shoot psychic hadokens in their first appearance? Wassupwidat?

That episode was simultaneously A Bad Idea and way better than it should've been, so letting that thread drop was probably a good call.

• Options

That was just one Vorta, who was presumably genetically-engineered to do that because it was useful for her mission. It's not a useful trait for a general-purpose diplomat/bureaucrat.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

That was just one Vorta, who was presumably genetically-engineered to do that because it was useful for her mission. It's not a useful trait for a general-purpose diplomat/bureaucrat.

or is it

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Sure it is. Diplomats generally go unarmed (though not without guards). If the guards are taken out an apparently unarmed diplomat is not helpless if she can kill you with her brain.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Sure it is. Diplomats generally go unarmed (though not without guards). If the guards are taken out an apparently unarmed diplomat is not helpless if she can kill you with her brain.

That trick would only work once, then everyone would know your apparently-unarmed diplomats are not actually unarmed.

Also, for a race with cloning immortality, it's probably easier to lose and replace diplomats than to mount rescue missions to retrieve a lone surviving Rambo-diplomat.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Obviously you've never heard of "Hadoken Diplomacy"

I mean, it's no Gadouken Diplomacy, but it does the job.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »

That trick would only work once, then everyone would know your apparently-unarmed diplomats are not actually unarmed.

Also, for a race with cloning immortality, it's probably easier to lose and replace diplomats than to mount rescue missions to retrieve a lone surviving Rambo-diplomat.

maybe it only needs to work once

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I find Ferengi distress noises hilarious but also entirely appropriate

just an FYI

• Options
    yall I am hype for this Bashir vs Obrien space racquetball game

also fukin Prince Humperdink is in this ep

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

As a less-than-reputable El Aurian, too (Guinan's species) iirc!

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

As a less-than-reputable El Aurian, too (Guinan's species) iirc!

Ooh that did not really come up.

Anyway on to a couple episodes later- these space elves tryna blame OBrien for some deaths that were in fact murders?

get outta here

yall OBrien is a real good character FYI

So It Goes on
This discussion has been closed.