Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And then it rapidly turns into an allegory for totalitarianism, forcing people to submit to testing.

And then it turns out it doesn't really work anyways and they can get past it, or even set up false positives to screw with people.

And then after all that they never really bother with the whole thing again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Reading the thoughts of other people is perfectly acceptable, however, and somehow never used to check if someone is actually a shapeshifting alien trying to kill everyone.

Also maybe the transporter would know, too?

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man alive I had no idea people are upset with how discovery shows old star ships with new graphics. Like seriously guys this is your concern? Sometimes fellow nerds make me sad.

Star Trek has always had continuity nerds - hell, I'd say the stereotypical nerd for Star Trek has always been one obsessed with the continuity and the designs of ships and uniforms and working out how it all might fit together. And the show had always seemed to embrace that with the encyclopaedias, tech manuals, fact-files, using TOS stuff in episodes etc. Discovery has pretty firmly said 'no, Star Trek isn't for you anymore" to that kind of fan. I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset; they've been some of the most loyal and dedicated fans. (and as someone who pretty much lived and breathed Trek growing up, it's been a difficult pill to swallow knowing that Trek going forward isn't going to be like that anymore).

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gotta admit, the very first thing I thought / said when I saw the first trailer for ST 2009, specifically the primary hull of the Enterprise?
    "Font's wrong."
    It's supposed to be 1960s Air Force, damnit.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Reading the thoughts of other people is perfectly acceptable, however, and somehow never used to check if someone is actually a shapeshifting alien trying to kill everyone.

It's not exactly foolproof. Some species resist telepathy! Changelings themselves I believe are impervious to telepathic interference

• Options
    Yeah but unless they're impersonating a species that can't be sensed, it's going to set off a red alert when human Admiral Crumblejon can't be sensed at all, or when Chief O'Brien isn't haunted by the 500 horrible things that happened to him in the past year.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    wrong thread

Casual on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Changelings should just disguise themselves as Ferengi. That way, everyone would trust them.

Wait, hang on.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I love the fact that the very episode that introduces blood testing has the Changeling effortlessly get past it, and establish a pattern of them passing testing because they're the ones doing the tests.
    Then Sisko's dad points out another easy way past it.
    Then Sisko gets framed using it.
    Then he gets stuck in a cell with no privacy for however long, and no-one ever thinks 'we know you'll have to revert to liquid form in another 12 hours or so, so just stay under observation for 24 hours and you'll be cleared'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I love the fact that the very episode that introduces blood testing has the Changeling effortlessly get past it, and establish a pattern of them passing testing because they're the ones doing the tests.
    Then Sisko's dad points out another easy way past it.
    Then Sisko gets framed using it.
    Then he gets stuck in a cell with no privacy for however long, and no-one ever thinks 'we know you'll have to revert to liquid form in another 12 hours or so, so just stay under observation for 24 hours and you'll be cleared'.

I always figured the Changlings had been faking blood checks for centuries during their war against solids. They were probably surprised it took the Fedration so long to think of them.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    They probably sit swish around and laugh at "the stupid klingons" cutting themselves constantly to try and prove their solidness.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    They probably sit swish around and laugh at "the stupid klingons" cutting themselves constantly to try and prove their solidness.

To be fair, "cutting yourself" is how Klingons prove everything. Solidness? Cut yourself. Loyalty? Cut yourself. Honesty? Cut yourself. Oat of revenge? Cut yourself. Credit score? Cut yourself. Be there at 6pm for a dinner party? Cut yourself.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "Oat of Revenge", the Klingon breakfast cereal of choice.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Made by traditional steel-cut Klingons.

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Have you heard the ancient Klingon proverb that oats of revenge are a dish best served cold?

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Or, you know, they start by impersonating the telepaths.
    Can't be that hard, it's probably why they invaded Betazed in the first place.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

To be fair, "cutting yourself" is how Klingons prove everything. Solidness? Cut yourself. Loyalty? Cut yourself. Honesty? Cut yourself. Oat of revenge? Cut yourself. Credit score? Cut yourself. Be there at 6pm for a dinner party? Cut yourself.

Or the classic
    "What must I do to convince you people?"
    "Die."

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Rewatching Voyager (don't fucking judge me):
    Chakotay wrote:
    You were working for her, Seska was working for them — was anyone on that damn ship working for me?
    I feel like this was a missed opportunity to have a member of Chakotay's crew turn out to be a traitor once per season.
    And in the final season, it turns out that Chakotay has been a Changeling the entire time.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The warp core on his ship was a romulan spy the WHOLE TIME.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Rewatching Voyager (don't fucking judge me):
    Chakotay wrote:
    You were working for her, Seska was working for them — was anyone on that damn ship working for me?
    I feel like this was a missed opportunity to have a member of Chakotay's crew turn out to be a traitor once per season.
    And in the final season, it turns out that Chakotay has been a Changeling the entire time.

Actual lol here, thank you for making my morning :)

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The warp core on his ship was a romulan spy the WHOLE TIME.

Well what did you think biomimetic gel was?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Lezta wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man alive I had no idea people are upset with how discovery shows old star ships with new graphics. Like seriously guys this is your concern? Sometimes fellow nerds make me sad.

Star Trek has always had continuity nerds - hell, I'd say the stereotypical nerd for Star Trek has always been one obsessed with the continuity and the designs of ships and uniforms and working out how it all might fit together. And the show had always seemed to embrace that with the encyclopaedias, tech manuals, fact-files, using TOS stuff in episodes etc. Discovery has pretty firmly said 'no, Star Trek isn't for you anymore" to that kind of fan. I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset; they've been some of the most loyal and dedicated fans. (and as someone who pretty much lived and breathed Trek growing up, it's been a difficult pill to swallow knowing that Trek going forward isn't going to be like that anymore).

Eh, TOS era props and effects were out of date by the late 70's. Those kinds of fans have literally had decades to get over it. And it's not like DIS is somehow spearheading this (needed, imo) modernization trend. In terms of sets and costumes, ENT was far more modern than TOS.

It's always been strange to me that some fans of a progressive sci-fi franchise are so vehemently against change.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I think it would’ve been awesome if DISCO decided to go for a retrofuture 60’s sci fi aesthetic. That’s one reason I’m intrigued by the possibility of a Tarantino Star Trek movie - because I 100% think that’s the direction he’d go.

But at the same time, like, I don’t think they’re obligated to go that route, and if you think Star Trek has paid strict attention to its continuity up until now you’re crazy. It’s a sprawling five decade old series that has gone through countless hands! Of course it contradicts itself endlessly! In any case it’s not holy writ. And, well, even if it was, religious texts contradict themselves endlessly too.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Oh the thread is doing this again. Hooray.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Oh the thread is doing this again. Hooray.

This isn't particularly useful!

If you would like to discuss something else Star Trek, go for it

Like how I absolutely love the dart board continuity in this season of DS9

Or maybe how the Nog Starfleet storyline is v cute and good

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    been rewatching some TNG this week and I've just hit the episode where Lwaxana Troi is super kind and understanding with Worf's son

it's the best

seriously as much as some Lwaxana episodes are incredibly tedious, some of them are really really good (esp the DS9 ones)

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Outside of that second season episode where Lwaxana was going through Betazoid menopause, I think that a lot of the criticism of her is unwarranted. Like, yeah, she's a spoiled, somewhat wealthy woman who wants her daughter to get married and have children. And she sticks her nose where it doesn't belong because she thinks she knows best. Out of all of the TNG characters, she's probably the most realistic, despite her personality traits being turned up to 11.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    nog has one of the best character arcs of any, like, secondary character in a show ever

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Outside of that second season episode where Lwaxana was going through Betazoid menopause, I think that a lot of the criticism of her is unwarranted. Like, yeah, she's a spoiled, somewhat wealthy woman who wants her daughter to get married and have children. And she sticks her nose where it doesn't belong because she thinks she knows best. Out of all of the TNG characters, she's probably the most realistic, despite her personality traits being turned up to 11.
    I love that she flusters the normally unflappable Picard and Dianna. I think it deepens both of their characters.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Lwaxana doesn't try to hook her daughter up with any other woman and that is terrible.

• Options
    The fact that she's the first character aside from his mother to really get Alexander, and is kind and patient and understanding to him, and broadens his understanding of interpersonal relationships is really a symbol of how complex a guest character she is honestly

it's a really silly but really good episode

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I do like it when later series revisit TOS's original Enterprise sets. It's fun but, more than that, it lets the audience feel the same nostalgia that the show’s characters feel for the past.

IFSTaWR.jpg?1

When Picard visits his first ship the Stargazer, by contrast, the vessel is presumably nostalgic for him but doesn’t evoke much for the audience because it’s just a standard TNG set.

wandering on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Some of Lwaxana's best scenes are with Odo.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I guess it's a good thing changelings are immune to telepathy. Because otherwise yeah, you'd just bring Lwaxana everywhere and sniff them out.

That was literally the ending to a TNG episode. She walked into the room and said "Those guys are terrorists and want to blow up the place.". And their response was "Whaaaat? Noooo, we're not... aw fuck.".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Damn S4 of DS9 starts with some wild shit

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Wouldn't stop Changelings. They can't be sensed by telepaths and they can take the form of inanimate objects. Using telepaths might stop Changlings from impersonating people but they can just take the place of a comm badge or a piece of clothing.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    oh god I've hit the episode where Picard, Guinan, Keiko and Ro get turned into children again

how fucking awkward is it for Miles

seriously does Star Trek just want to make things either awkward or terribly depressing for Miles at every possible opportunity

and let's not forget the horrible shit that just constantly happens to the O'Brians as a whole as well

Anzekay on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    oh god I've hit the episode where Picard, Guinan, Keiko and Ro get turned into children again

how fucking awkward is it for Miles

seriously does Star Trek just want to make things either awkward or terribly depressing for Miles at every possible opportunity

and let's not forget the horrible shit that just constantly happens to the O'Brians as a whole as well

Yes.

In DS9, there was a rule that at least once a season, O'Brien Must Suffer.

• Options
    I genuinely really love the kid actor they got for Picard. He's flawless in tone and look, and he's actually a pretty solid child actor? Really makes this episode shine.

• Options
    Picard stalking the halls of the Enterprise during a dangerous maintenance procedure with a fucking crossbow is also one of the best TNG episodes

This discussion has been closed.