As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I liked when Worf crashed Odo's undercover investigation

Oh Worf
    The best part of that episode was when Worf claims that security breaches didn't happen on the Enterprise.
    Odo just gets the closest he ever gets to a shit-eating grin on his face and pulls a pad off the counter. Doesn't look for it, doesn't have to bring anything up. He's known this was coming and he's prepped a list of all the times Worf's security measures didn't work.

And all it contains is a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LnwLn9vnKo

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity that that Romulan officer who got assigned to the Defiant to make sure Starfleet didn't get up to mischief with the cloaking device the Romulans gave them never actually appeared again outside of that one episode where the Defiant got introduced.

One of DS9's strengths are the clashing cultures being forced together onto one station, and it would've been nice to have a Romulan in the mix.

I thought she got killed in like, the next episode and we never see her again.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    You know Riker is cool because he vaults over a chair to sit down instead of going around it like us plebs.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Romulan spy hanging around would have been great, especially her growing comraderie with them causing sisko pangs of guilt every time he steps on the bridge

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Riker gets 10000% cooler and less jerkass once he gets the beard

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity that that Romulan officer who got assigned to the Defiant to make sure Starfleet didn't get up to mischief with the cloaking device the Romulans gave them never actually appeared again outside of that one episode where the Defiant got introduced.

One of DS9's strengths are the clashing cultures being forced together onto one station, and it would've been nice to have a Romulan in the mix.

I figured people who got killed in the Changeling simulation didn't actually get killed in real life.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I liked when Worf crashed Odo's undercover investigation

Oh Worf
    The best part of that episode was when Worf claims that security breaches didn't happen on the Enterprise.
    Odo just gets the closest he ever gets to a shit-eating grin on his face and pulls a pad off the counter. Doesn't look for it, doesn't have to bring anything up. He's known this was coming and he's prepped a list of all the times Worf's security measures didn't work.

And all it contains is a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LnwLn9vnKo

And we can't forget this classic jem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    The first DS9 Worf plot episode involved Sisko telling him no

it was perfect

(Worf disobeyed and interfered with Odo anyway! Bad officer)

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I figured people who got killed in the Changeling simulation didn't actually get killed in real life.

its like the matrix

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You know Riker is cool because he vaults over a chair to sit down instead of going around it like us plebs.

Finding out this was because of back issues for Frakes makes it all the cooler "Well fine fuck it I'll just go over the chair."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

it was perfect

Dax once lets slip to Sisko that he intimidated Worf.

And Sisko just laughs his ass off. "*I* intimidate Worf?!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And she calls him on enjoying that. "I've been a man, I know."

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I guess Sisko is cool sometimes (steepled fingers, deep growl), but Quark is a queasily creepy bartender, Odo is a cool race but mostly a smart, rules-obeying martinet and Kira is a complex multi-layered character but I dunno if any of those layers are cool. Like, none of them are as cool as Riker, and none of them except maybe Sisko and Kira ever nail that entirely accidental cool that Picard has by virtue of being relentlessly competent and admirable.

Cool is different for different folks, though, I guess. I don't think I'd ever really go to that word first when describing a Star Trek character from DS9 or TNG. Maybe Kirk from TOS.

Yeah, opinions. For me I always got the feel that they wanted me to think Riker was cool, but he always came off as a giant dork to me. The beard helped him a bit, but giant dork he remains.

Sisko is rad, but cool implies a level of dispassion I don't think he has. He's a passionate dude. I guess it's more along the lines of, if given the choice who to hang out with, I'd definitely want to hang with the DS9 crew instead of the TNG crew.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    riker is a giant dork

but he's a righteous dude

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I guess Sisko is cool sometimes (steepled fingers, deep growl), but Quark is a queasily creepy bartender, Odo is a cool race but mostly a smart, rules-obeying martinet and Kira is a complex multi-layered character but I dunno if any of those layers are cool. Like, none of them are as cool as Riker, and none of them except maybe Sisko and Kira ever nail that entirely accidental cool that Picard has by virtue of being relentlessly competent and admirable.

Cool is different for different folks, though, I guess. I don't think I'd ever really go to that word first when describing a Star Trek character from DS9 or TNG. Maybe Kirk from TOS.

Yeah, opinions. For me I always got the feel that they wanted me to think Riker was cool, but he always came off as a giant dork to me. The beard helped him a bit, but giant dork he remains.

Sisko is rad, but cool implies a level of dispassion I don't think he has. He's a passionate dude. I guess it's more along the lines of, if given the choice who to hang out with, I'd definitely want to hang with the DS9 crew instead of the TNG crew.

Man, the TNG crew looks way more like a tight fun little family. That's the whole thing that makes the show work. Those are totally the people you wanna hang with. Even the writers knew this. (see - the last scene of the show)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    shryke wrote: »

Man, the TNG crew looks way more like a tight fun little family. That's the whole thing that makes the show work. Those are totally the people you wanna hang with. Even the writers knew this. (see - the last scene of the show)

TNG was all too antiseptic to me. In TNG, no one's quarters were ever messy because they were indulging in a favorite hobby, no one ever seemed to come off the holodeck looking a little disheveled because they had just been playing virtual dungeons and dragons. DS9 had people coming out of the holosuites in cosplay, people geared up to go kayaking in a holosuite, and people playing with models outside of the holodeck. It still did have a level of too-antiseptic (and Voyager really had a chance to dingy up the too-clean Star Trek universe by having people need to patch their uniforms by hand and what-not, have signs that they're really far from home and energy is not limitless. But ya'know, Voyager and missed opportunities go hand in hand), but at least DS9 felt more lived in than the Enterprise D.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

it was perfect

Dax once lets slip to Sisko that he intimidated Worf.

And Sisko just laughs his ass off. "*I* intimidate Worf?!"

DS9 had a lot of fun with Worf. I actually prefer DS9 Worf to TNG Worf.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Miles Obrien is the only person i've seen on star trek who ever used a holodeck properly

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    And that is why he suffers.

• Options
    Miles Obrien is the only person i've seen on star trek who ever used a holodeck properly

That is a man that understands the importance of escapism.

"Sisko's loo..."

"Fuck you going in to do literally anything else."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Bashir and O'Brien also have a much more genuine bromance (IMO) than anyone on TNG.

I also feel like there was a level of mean popular kids going on with the TNG crew. It revealed itself in things like the introduction of Barclay, or in Picard saying "shut up, Westley", or in Riker wondering, based on meeting three people from the 80s, how humanity survived long enough to create such a fine specimen as himself, or in everyone jizzing themselves over the "Outrageous Okona." I don't fault the cast for this, they did a good job with what they had, but the writers didn't do a good job making them seem like a family.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bashir and O'Brien also have a much more genuine bromance (IMO) than anyone on TNG.

That scene in the last episode makes me mist up every time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DS9 has better character development than TNG and it really shows in the friendships. Bashir and O'Brien go through more change in their subplot bromance than anyone on the D. It comes down to DS9 being so much more serialized- the show almost always played for keeps.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Geordi and Data, though.

• Options
    Geordi and Data, though.

That's as close as TNG got, but in my opinion still not as genuine as O'Brien and Bashir.

• Options
    I actually felt that TNG did the female friendship better. Like Beverly and Deana felt like a legit friendship.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TNG felt more like a work family kind of thing than a holobros one but i don’t think the relationships felt any less genuine

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Worf moving over to DS9 was a good decision

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    TNG felt more like a work family kind of thing than a holobros one but i don’t think the relationships felt any less genuine

Yeah Picard never feels like anyone on the crew is his peer, but that's because he's their space father.

Well aside from Q, as much as Picard would hate to admit that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Man, late S2/early S3 of DS9 takes a hard right turn towards awesome. Ep2 (does this stuff need spoilers?):
    The Dominion are fucking changelings? Did not see that coming at all. I feel like they really paced the two threads - of Odo's desire to learn about his past, and the little tidbits and hints about just what The Dominion is - perfectly. Having the reveal intertwine was a big wow moment.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah Picard never feels like anyone on the crew is his peer, but that's because he's their space father.

Wasn't the the whole point of the final scene in TNG?

• Options

Wasn't the the whole point of the final scene in TNG?

You totally know after that poker game and he cleaned them all out he was like "Well that was awful never doing that again." As we see from the movies...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

She was hired to play Seska on Voyager right after they filmed the DS9 two-parter.

• Options

Well aside from Q, as much as Picard would hate to admit that.

Nope, Q was Picard's space-dad.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Man, late S2/early S3 of DS9 takes a hard right turn towards awesome. Ep2 (does this stuff need spoilers?):
    The Dominion are fucking changelings? Did not see that coming at all. I feel like they really paced the two threads - of Odo's desire to learn about his past, and the little tidbits and hints about just what The Dominion is - perfectly. Having the reveal intertwine was a big wow moment.

I am rewatching DS9 and have told people they don't need to spoiler anything

However if you're watching for the first time maybe we should start spoilering!

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I actually felt that TNG did the female friendship better. Like Beverly and Deana felt like a legit friendship.

ya totally! like that time they worked out together and uhhhh

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

ya totally! like that time they worked out together and uhhhh

Ha ha, that's the first thing I thought of when Preacher mentioned female friendship, too.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

She was hired to play Seska on Voyager right after they filmed the DS9 two-parter.

Too bad that never amounted to much, aside from Janeway losing control of her ship for, what, the 2nd, 3rd time?

• Options
    So, I think Discovery is off to a good start with Season 2. It's definitely more cohesive than anything in season 1, and the pulpy tone fits the cast better than grimdark.
    Also, Tilly getting thirsty for Pike is the best. Pike in general is the best.

This season better end with Saru getting his fourth pip, though.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Episode was better then most of season 1 combined although I didn't looove the ending stuff all that much.

It still has a feeling of everything being too convenient character wise but we'll see where this story takes us!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
This discussion has been closed.