As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Quest] XI-S on Xbox, Gamepass and PC soon

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Hm now I have the option to make a bunch of stuff or go on to the next island.

It doesn't tell me where to build these things though. I assume that means anywhere at all on the island I can build will work, which is too much pressure for me. I already don't like the patchwork look of the meadow/forest areas, just a bunch of green squares surrounded by brown, and now i'll make a kitchen and dining room out in the middle of nowhere that will look like crap too.

On to the next island it is then.

So you can go to resource islands that respawn stuff each time you visit to get loads and loads more of the stuff you need to make everywhere a forest and such.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    All I needs is acorns and poo. Acorns are a pain.

It's mainly how laborious it is to get the green patch to cover the full area, what with it not going up levels only down.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I found an easier way to make grass that doesn't involve farming... poo. You need the trowel though, which you get after completing I think 5 tablet tasks, and access to Blossom Bay. Take any junk building block that you probably have 999 of, like rock. Stand on the grass, aim down, and swap with the trowel, and you'll actually get grassy earth instead of dirt. And just do that, swapping your 999 rock with grass block. Now if you ever need grass, just trowel it on over fiddling with worm food. If you run out, just go cleave your way through a mountain and get more rock, and don't forget about the giant bash move you got which I think does a 5x5x5 smash in front of you.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There's a much better place to build stuff in the area you build up after the second island.

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Apologies if this has been asked a dozen times before: is there any compelling reason to buy DQB1 over the sequel if you don’t own either?

Is it best to just jump in with the second game?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Absolutely just get the second one, it's by all means an improvement in every direction

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Cooking seems to have taken a massive step backward in this game. At least so far. Having to manually place 1 ingredient at a time at the campfire and then manually start it each time, and then sit around and wait for it for 30 seconds is just... why would they do this when DQB1 let you just throw all your cooking ingredients in at once and then tell it to make you all the food that it could?

I'm hoping that this singular item at a time system goes away when I get the ability to craft an actual stove, but so far I'm still in Furrowfield, and cooking is awful.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Cooking seems to have taken a massive step backward in this game. At least so far. Having to manually place 1 ingredient at a time at the campfire and then manually start it each time, and then sit around and wait for it for 30 seconds is just... why would they do this when DQB1 let you just throw all your cooking ingredients in at once and then tell it to make you all the food that it could?

I'm hoping that this singular item at a time system goes away when I get the ability to craft an actual stove, but so far I'm still in Furrowfield, and cooking is awful.

Just make a kitchen, put the ingredients in the chest, and the people will make everything for you.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular

Seems to be there to give you incentive to make a kitchen and let your slaves villagers cook for you

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Can I give Britney and other soldiers new outfits? Do they wear the fancy armors I make but no longer need, or the old hero outfits and such? Or are they stuck forever wearing their color coded coats? I never see them sleep either...

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    10 minutes of Dragon Quest XI S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veuP3icch5w

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Man I look at top plays in other games and think, yeah that's neat, whatever. I look at all the awesome bullshit people make in builders and now I feel like I'm awful and need to step up my game. A lot.

Some of it is just neat one off stuff people make, like this:
    a1D6K9y.jpg
    ykV5jkG.jpg
    6go7D6h.jpg

Like how this guy makes a two story building that looks neat but is also still practical from a gameplay sense, I'm not sure if it is actually regarded as a room for gameplay purposes, but if it isn't it wouldn't be that hard to modify and it lets you see inside.
    HzFtAf6.jpg
    ZkdZx94.jpg
    J1YKdMt.jpg

Others include cool buildings, or that people dress up their warp points on the island.
    W9TjJA1.jpg
    JBYT3fZ.jpg

For some transforming the island itself is a pain so they'd rather make terrariums.
    6s4sif3.jpg
    I3lk5Hs.jpg

And then you get these assholes
    cPhaRcY.jpg
    17BbxuA.jpg
    UuoP6Bi.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Those are pretty cool, but they leave me asking the same question that a lot of Minecraft builds always leave me asking:

Did someone actually build that brick by brick, or did they use some sort of mod to take a concept and digitize it into blocks? (As if the game were a digital 3D Printer of sorts).

• Options
    As far as I know DQB2 doesn't have that kind of external tool.

What it does have though is the pencil that lets you duplicate portions (or entire buildings. you can strait up copy the best builder entries on the explorer islands) of a larger work in isolation and then copy paste them into place (and have the islanders build it for you) so you can more easily (and incrementally) work on something larger that way. Like parts of the game that area already made? Let's copy those bad boys and bring them back to the island.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    One thing that's worth pointing out is that first-person view lets you focus on individual blocks, and interact with them from a bit further away than you could normally, including areas above you that would be a pain to reach in third-person view.

I don't have them yet, but I'd imagine that the Builder's Binoculars probably vastly increase the range on that?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Boy howdy do I ever regret buying DQ11 on Steam. That is not the kind of game you play twice and DQ11S is a massive expansion on the base game.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Is it? Is there like a bunch of new story or something? Because features like 16-bit toggling and a different soundtrack don't really speak to me.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Is it? Is there like a bunch of new story or something? Because features like 16-bit toggling and a different soundtrack don't really speak to me.

From a few pages ago:
    skeldare wrote: »
    List of new elements and changes in Dragon Quest XI S

https://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-xi-s-tons-of-details-on-new-elements-and-improvements-voice-drama-dlc-photo-mode-more/

Spoilered because it's a shit ton of stuff
    Additional Elements and Improvements
    • The gameplay styles of both the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions in one.
    • Spell of Restoration scenario selection.
    • Newly added party member dialogue.
    • Added [???].
    • Fully-voiced events.
    • Voice support for all party member dialogue.
    • Switch between voice languages (Gorgeous Edition-only).
    • Option to turn on / off sounds from the protagonist (exhaling, etc.)
    • Improved [???].
    • Voice Drama.
    • The timing at which you can visit Yocchi Village has changed.
    • The placement of Yocchi that possess passwords.
    • New “Appearance-Changing Equipment” added.
    • Madame Cherie.
    • Added [???].
    • Implemented horse racing remedial actions.
    • Furigana display.
    • Ability to skip cutscenes the first time around.
    • Camera improvements.
    • Photo Mode added.
    • Increased variation of ridable monsters.
    • Ability to attack ridable monsters on the field to earn experience points.
    • Switches to dedicated background music when riding a great sabrecat.
    • Party members follow you on the field.
    • Dash movement.
    • Ability to call horse at all times.
    • Obtain experience from blowing away monsters on the horse.
    • Shiny spots stand out more.
    • Immediately obtain materials upon examining gathering points.
    • Bowgun gameplay revised.
    • Added church Yocchi before the Lord of Shadows Mordegon.
    • Adjusted the placement of guest NPCs when camping.
    • Increased the tempo of party dialogue.
    • Added [???].
    • Added [???].
    • Added party member speech bubbles in battle.
    • In battle, party members move on their own according to the situation.
    • Adjusted battle speed.
    • Added ability to switch between free movement and auto camera mid-battle.
    • “Skill Reset” available from the beginning of the game.
    • “Learn Multiple Skills” available from the beginning of the game.
    • Forging can now be done anytime, anywhere.
    • Reverse lookup and purchase materials required for forging.
    • Made it easier to understand which items can be created with forging.
    • Display 2D-only monsters in the 3D bestiary.
    • Navigate the UI with the joystick.
    • Added shortcut menu.
    • Added guide for opening the map.
    • Added effective weapon type icons to the skill panel.
    • Display defeated monsters list in the map menu.
    • Display rarefied monsters on the defeated monsters list.
    • Display status ailments when switching out party members.
    • Improved the display of walking recovery effects.
    • Appearance-changing equipment is properly labeled.
    • Purchased materials automatically go into the item bag.
    • Revised soldier events in the Heliodor Sewers.
    • Partial improvements to 2D graphics.
    • Partial improvements to 2D event scenes.
    • Adjusted the 2D map at the start of the game.
    • Added “Smell” to replace Noah’s Archive.
    • Added ability to click through the message window as the level up melody is playing.
    • Partial quest adjustments.

Pickup Elements
    • Increased party member reactions in battle, emphasized a sense of unity.
    • Improved forging.
    • Added Photo Mode.
    • Madame Cherie.

Voice Drama Downloadable Content (1,500 yen)
    • About four to five hours in length. A collection of short stories that dive deeper into the characters, including their pasts, as well as depicts their everyday lives.
    • There is a story of Jade when she was a child, a young Rab, as well as a story about a Medamoiselles play.
    • There are various stories, from good stories that make you laugh to matters of life.
    • There is also a read-aloud story in which Mitsuki Saiga plays about nine roles by himself.
    • Rab serves as the guide for the Voice Drama.
    • Text can also be displayed. There are log, fast-forward, and rewind features.

Increased Party Member Reactions in Battle, Emphasized a Sense of Unity
    • In order to create a sense of unity with your party members, characters left alone will move on their own, or move to evade when approached, as well as produce speech bubbles related to the battle situation.
    • In event battles, there are even some special lines that are voiced.

Improved Forging
    • Forge anywhere.
    • While this does not apply to everything, it is also possible to purchase the materials you are missing.

Additional Ridable Monsters
    • The great sabrecat runs at high-speed. By roaring, you can summon nearby monsters.

Appearance-Changing Equipment
    • “Appearance-Changing Equipment” can now only change appearance without affecting attack power and defense power.
    • The “Kingdom of Trodain Set” changes the protagonist’s appearance to that of the Dragon Quest VIII protagonist. Dragon Quest VIII music also plays on the field.

Adventure the Worlds of Previous Dragon Quest Titles
    • All the worlds of previous Dragon Quest titles use 8-bit graphics. Even the maps that were 3D in the 3DS version were recreated in 8-bit. The music is also 8-bit sound source.

Spell of Restoration Evolution
    • Go back to an adventure that you have already passed. Return and replay a previous adventure while carrying over your strength. You can also choose between 2D and 3D modes.

Photo Mode
    • Photo Mode includes features such as rearranging characters, changing the way the camera is facing, posing, turning on or off the character display (individual settings also possible), blurring the background, and more.

Madame Cherie
    • Madame Cherie is a professor at L’Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

From a few pages ago:
    List of new elements and changes in Dragon Quest XI S

https://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-xi-s-tons-of-details-on-new-elements-and-improvements-voice-drama-dlc-photo-mode-more/

Spoilered because it's a shit ton of stuff
    Additional Elements and Improvements
    • The gameplay styles of both the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions in one.
    • Spell of Restoration scenario selection.
    • Newly added party member dialogue.
    • Added [???].
    • Fully-voiced events.
    • Voice support for all party member dialogue.
    • Switch between voice languages (Gorgeous Edition-only).
    • Option to turn on / off sounds from the protagonist (exhaling, etc.)
    • Improved [???].
    • Voice Drama.
    • The timing at which you can visit Yocchi Village has changed.
    • The placement of Yocchi that possess passwords.
    • New “Appearance-Changing Equipment” added.
    • Madame Cherie.
    • Added [???].
    • Furigana display.
    • Ability to skip cutscenes the first time around.
    • Camera improvements.
    • Photo Mode added.
    • Increased variation of ridable monsters.
    • Ability to attack ridable monsters on the field to earn experience points.
    • Switches to dedicated background music when riding a great sabrecat.
    • Party members follow you on the field.
    • Dash movement.
    • Ability to call horse at all times.
    • Obtain experience from blowing away monsters on the horse.
    • Shiny spots stand out more.
    • Immediately obtain materials upon examining gathering points.
    • Bowgun gameplay revised.
    • Added church Yocchi before the Lord of Shadows Mordegon.
    • Adjusted the placement of guest NPCs when camping.
    • Increased the tempo of party dialogue.
    • Added [???].
    • Added [???].
    • Added party member speech bubbles in battle.
    • In battle, party members move on their own according to the situation.
    • Adjusted battle speed.
    • Added ability to switch between free movement and auto camera mid-battle.
    • “Skill Reset” available from the beginning of the game.
    • “Learn Multiple Skills” available from the beginning of the game.
    • Forging can now be done anytime, anywhere.
    • Reverse lookup and purchase materials required for forging.
    • Made it easier to understand which items can be created with forging.
    • Display 2D-only monsters in the 3D bestiary.
    • Navigate the UI with the joystick.
    • Added shortcut menu.
    • Added guide for opening the map.
    • Added effective weapon type icons to the skill panel.
    • Display defeated monsters list in the map menu.
    • Display rarefied monsters on the defeated monsters list.
    • Display status ailments when switching out party members.
    • Improved the display of walking recovery effects.
    • Appearance-changing equipment is properly labeled.
    • Purchased materials automatically go into the item bag.
    • Revised soldier events in the Heliodor Sewers.
    • Partial improvements to 2D graphics.
    • Partial improvements to 2D event scenes.
    • Adjusted the 2D map at the start of the game.
    • Added “Smell” to replace Noah’s Archive.
    • Added ability to click through the message window as the level up melody is playing.
    • Partial quest adjustments.

Pickup Elements
    • Increased party member reactions in battle, emphasized a sense of unity.
    • Improved forging.
    • Added Photo Mode.
    • Madame Cherie.

Voice Drama Downloadable Content (1,500 yen)
    • About four to five hours in length. A collection of short stories that dive deeper into the characters, including their pasts, as well as depicts their everyday lives.
    • There is a story of Jade when she was a child, a young Rab, as well as a story about a Medamoiselles play.
    • There are various stories, from good stories that make you laugh to matters of life.
    • There is also a read-aloud story in which Mitsuki Saiga plays about nine roles by himself.
    • Rab serves as the guide for the Voice Drama.
    • Text can also be displayed. There are log, fast-forward, and rewind features.

Increased Party Member Reactions in Battle, Emphasized a Sense of Unity
    • In order to create a sense of unity with your party members, characters left alone will move on their own, or move to evade when approached, as well as produce speech bubbles related to the battle situation.
    • In event battles, there are even some special lines that are voiced.

Improved Forging
    • Forge anywhere.
    • While this does not apply to everything, it is also possible to purchase the materials you are missing.

Additional Ridable Monsters
    • The great sabrecat runs at high-speed. By roaring, you can summon nearby monsters.

Appearance-Changing Equipment
    • “Appearance-Changing Equipment” can now only change appearance without affecting attack power and defense power.
    • The “Kingdom of Trodain Set” changes the protagonist’s appearance to that of the Dragon Quest VIII protagonist. Dragon Quest VIII music also plays on the field.

Adventure the Worlds of Previous Dragon Quest Titles
    • All the worlds of previous Dragon Quest titles use 8-bit graphics. Even the maps that were 3D in the 3DS version were recreated in 8-bit. The music is also 8-bit sound source.

Spell of Restoration Evolution
    • Go back to an adventure that you have already passed. Return and replay a previous adventure while carrying over your strength. You can also choose between 2D and 3D modes.

Photo Mode
    • Photo Mode includes features such as rearranging characters, changing the way the camera is facing, posing, turning on or off the character display (individual settings also possible), blurring the background, and more.

Madame Cherie
    • Madame Cherie is a professor at L’Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles.

Yeah I’m probably about 30 hours into the steam version and just seeing the quality of life changes made me stop and wait for the switch version. Super excited to get into this again.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Fffff now you want me to design a 16x16 banner symbol? This shit is more stressful than character creation.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Are those wooden fence posts the only thing that let you specify the size and shape of a farming field?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Apparently if you make a fenced field and put the worm food in it, the whole field gets greenified.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    So mob grinding works like you would expect from minecraft or terraria.

Mobs spawn depending on the floor tile. Need grass seeds? Spoiled soil for the hands. Need meat? Sand for rabbits.
    You can place traps on tiles.
    Monsters continue to spawn and die on their own.
    AFK.
    Profit.

Build it underground and out of sight on IoA or build a temporary one on an explorer island until you are satisfied.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Man I meant to turn this off after an hour last night and two hours went by before I knew what happened. That's dangerous.

A couple quick questions from someone not super far into Furrowfield:
    1. How can I tell what the boundaries of my town are? DQB1 did a good job highlighting it on the map, but I can't really tell in this one.
    2. What happens if my villagers don't have food to eat?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Man I meant to turn this off after an hour last night and two hours went by before I knew what happened. That's dangerous.

1. How can I tell what the boundaries of my town are? DQB1 did a good job highlighting it on the map, but I can't really tell in this one.

1: Your UI should change once you leave the bounds of the town. In town you should have the Town Level shown by your heart counter
    2: Nothing other than making you feel bad for not feeding them. Feeding them and giving them a place to sleep is a good way to get the hearts

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    There will come a point where one of the villagers asks you to create a village restroom. And your villagers love to poop. They generate hearts and everything. I'm pretty sure that keeping your villagers well fed helps with their toilet usage, which you need to generate night soil. It's a win-win.

Feeding them generates hearts too.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I'm not sure if this works or not, it just occurred to me. you press "X" to put an item in the fire, then you press the cook button. Press x more than once. I think this might actually work cause i discovered by accident in the last act that you can do this with a different kind of workbench. I just didnt think to try it with a fire.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

The music changes.

I agree that Furrowfield is kinda hard to tell its borders. the following areas are a little better then that, but furrowfield is kind of tight for space.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

I'm not sure if this works or not, it just occurred to me. you press "X" to put an item in the fire, then you press the cook button. Press x more than once. I think this might actually work cause i discovered by accident in the last act that you can do this with a different kind of workbench. I just didnt think to try it with a fire.

I'll try it out after work tonight.

But I'm actually content to let my peasants do it for me (now that I know about that). They generate hearts when they cook, so there's an extra bonus to letting them do it.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    khrumbul-dun felt way more crowded than furrowfield, to me, at least near the beginning.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

I'll try it out after work tonight.

But I'm actually content to let my peasants do it for me (now that I know about that). They generate hearts when they cook, so there's an extra bonus to letting them do it.

I have not gotten more than one item per cook station and I've tried to double up. I just keep the kitchen stocked for the village and spend a day cooking high-value items for myself before I head out on an expedition.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I don't know why they call Malroth the lord of destruction when I am the one who demolishes every new dwelling I see for their sick new blocks
    Bombs are great, I wonder if they get upgraded to the point where it can destroy everything

• Options
    I've actually screwed myself twice already by demolishing new areas as soon as I discover them. First, I got to the Pastor's house and I bashed it all to pieces and stole his sluice gates and other new blocks and pieces. That messed up the quest to fill the two pools with water. I had to go back and rebuild some of that just to get the quest to register correctly.

The second time was when I got to the broken cathedral. I went around smashing everything and hoarding all the new temple pieces. Then that ghost guy asked me to rebuild his altar and I was like "uhh, no. This shit is mine. I looted it fair and square."

• Options
    If there is one thing I hate in this game it's the disembodied voice's slooooooooooow scrolling unskipable text.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    I don't know why they call Malroth the lord of destruction when I am the one who demolishes every new dwelling I see for their sick new blocks
    Bombs are great, I wonder if they get upgraded to the point where it can destroy everything

They do and they are.

• Options
    I've actually screwed myself twice already by demolishing new areas as soon as I discover them. First, I got to the Pastor's house and I bashed it all to pieces and stole his sluice gates and other new blocks and pieces. That messed up the quest to fill the two pools with water. I had to go back and rebuild some of that just to get the quest to register correctly.

The second time was when I got to the broken cathedral. I went around smashing everything and hoarding all the new temple pieces. Then that ghost guy asked me to rebuild his altar and I was like "uhh, no. This shit is mine. I looted it fair and square."

Complete the quest, then steal his shit. As god intended.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I’ve been collecting all the unholy stuff and flags as a little shrine for Pastor Al to feel at home.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've spent way too long trying to build a terrace farm into the mountainside at green gardens

The game does not want to cooperate and it doesn't even look that great, but I think I managed to get it to work at least

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I didn't like first person view much since the camera R-stick movement is janky, but I started using it more for mining ore. You don't tear up the mine as much since you can target the ore blocks better, and it seems you automatically collect the ore in first person. Even if you mine an ore block that's at maximum distance from you. No worrying about chasing down ore that falls away after breaking.

• Options
    Blocks also break about 50% faster in first person mode.