Options

[Dragon Quest] XI-S on Xbox, Gamepass and PC soon

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So, little confusion. According to the store, the modernist and the second DLC were suppose to not be released for another week or so, but when i bought the season pass, everything activated. Are there more DLC to come? (Switch version)

i was confused and looked this up!

the answer is: if you buy the season pass, you get everything immediately.
    i think you still have to get the free new year's dlc from the store, but i'm not totally sure.

if you want to buy them individually... you have to wait longer... and pay more??
    it didn't make sense to me.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    This prison section is impressively awful

you wanted to spend a solid 90 minutes running between NPCs and clicking through 1000 paragraphs of inane text right?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Nearly broke my game yesterday during Moonbrooke. I had a plot quest requiring soldiers stew to make a crock pot, but I had destroyed my field and my farmer turned into a soldier and wouldn't re-plough another. No potatoes left in inventory.

Found two remaining blocks under some of my construction that remained ploughed and saved it, but man. They did not think that through for this chapter.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I think one of the monsters drops potatoes occasionally for players like you.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So yep, this game is charming as hell, in a way that didn't come through at all to me in the demo. The dialogue of the prospective new villagers and their relationship to the cult is kind of hilarious.

I'm only in Furrowfield, mostly done with it I'm sensing, and the fact that there is a pretty low focus on resource gathering is such a welcome change from Minecraft.

The building is slightly wonky, and I've had a hard time understanding the nuances of some of the technical internet posts on it. Anyone have any idea why I'd not be getting an elevated room registered? I've got four softwood columns leading to an elevated platform of floorboard, then two block-high walls of softwood above that, with a door leading to a little elevated platform that my ladder leads up to. It's enclosed with the right wall height and a door, has a bed and lightsource(which shouldn't matter), and I've broken the walls and door and re-placed them. Maybe it's an elevation limit on the village, but I was seeing people here with multi-tiered gardens that work so it would seem strange for that to be the issue. For reference the platform is over and just slightly higher than that little mountain with the initial spring used to water Furrowfield.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Room issues usually are:
    • The room is too big. Enormous is not actually enormous.
    • Check the corners. Solid blocks not under the corner blocks can sometimes wonk up rooms.
    • Check the door. The door needs to be with a landing on the outside.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Beat the game last night. Took a while though.

In the final area...
    When all my monsters were helping to build the spaceship/ark, they didn't clear the blocks beneath the landing pad properly well, and some of the pre-existing bricks were in the space where iron blocks or spaceship wall parts needed to go.

It took me a solid 20 minutes of clearing away the chaff, breaking apart pieces of the blueprint that they themselves auto-pathed and built, just to try to get the correct pieces in. From underneath.

But once that was done, the rest was easy. I've already cleared up all Explorer Islands. Now it's just a matter of getting the last few trophies.

I understand the Rare Breeder trophy will be a pain in the ass. I'm also surprised they only allow you to have a maximum of 60 residents on Awakening Island, and you can transfer people from their home islands of Furrowfield or Khrumble-Dun, but you can't seem to send people back there, unless "Sending Away" means they go back there instead?

In the meantime, my cows and sheep needs to stop pretending they're rabbits, because my doggos and kitties needs to get to making babies, and I only have 3 more vacancies on the Island.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

In the final area...
    When all my monsters were helping to build the spaceship/ark, they didn't clear the blocks beneath the landing pad properly well, and some of the pre-existing bricks were in the space where iron blocks or spaceship wall parts needed to go.

It took me a solid 20 minutes of clearing away the chaff, breaking apart pieces of the blueprint that they themselves auto-pathed and built, just to try to get the correct pieces in. From underneath.

But once that was done, the rest was easy. I've already cleared up all Explorer Islands. Now it's just a matter of getting the last few trophies.

I understand the Rare Breeder trophy will be a pain in the ass. I'm also surprised they only allow you to have a maximum of 60 residents on Awakening Island, and you can transfer people from their home islands of Furrowfield or Khrumble-Dun, but you can't seem to send people back there, unless "Sending Away" means they go back there instead?

In the meantime, my cows and sheep needs to stop pretending they're rabbits, because my doggos and kitties needs to get to making babies, and I only have 3 more vacancies on the Island.

You can send people to their original island the same way you can shift them from the different sections of the IoA. If they are originally from another island it should be listed I believe as the last option when you want to reassign them.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »

In the final area...

You can send people to their original island the same way you can shift them from the different sections of the IoA. If they are originally from another island it should be listed I believe as the last option when you want to reassign them.

Good. See you never again Wriggly and that one bumpkin-ass farmboy. Your method of speech is much worse than the British slang the musclethugs use. I have no need for more meadows or forests, and practically no use for human farmers now that I got some killing machine pets.

• Options
    Man, Wriggly's my second favorite. Big ol worm friend.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Man, Wriggly's my second favorite. Big ol worm friend.
    Because I made a tower of farms, Wriggly would often hang out on one of the elevated farm fields, and his body would just hang down through the floor and dangle around. You'd be walking along, and then suddenly boom, worm-butt.

• Options
    Septus wrote: »
    The building is slightly wonky, and I've had a hard time understanding the nuances of some of the technical internet posts on it. Anyone have any idea why I'd not be getting an elevated room registered? I've got four softwood columns leading to an elevated platform of floorboard, then two block-high walls of softwood above that, with a door leading to a little elevated platform that my ladder leads up to. It's enclosed with the right wall height and a door, has a bed and lightsource(which shouldn't matter), and I've broken the walls and door and re-placed them. Maybe it's an elevation limit on the village, but I was seeing people here with multi-tiered gardens that work so it would seem strange for that to be the issue. For reference the platform is over and just slightly higher than that little mountain with the initial spring used to water Furrowfield.
    Sorry, I'm not entirely getting a mental picture of how your stuff is arranged. Where is the door placed with respected to the room's walls? From what I understand, the door determines the layer on which the walls need to be, so if there's on two different elevations, that might be an issue.

Is there any chance you could post a screenshot?

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Maybe tonight if I can't figure it out. The entire room is on a single level of floorboards, which is held up on softwood stilts. The floorboards jut out just beyond the walls, in front of the door(the double wide decorative one) where the ladder connects. The room is large, but probably not more than 18x18.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Septus wrote: »
    Maybe tonight if I can't figure it out. The entire room is on a single level of floorboards, which is held up on softwood stilts. The floorboards jut out just beyond the walls, in front of the door(the double wide decorative one) where the ladder connects. The room is large, but probably not more than 18x18.

The size is your problem. Rooms can be max 150 tiles. Pretty sure that is the number. It’s right in that area

It’s a size limitation they REALLY need to explicitly explain in the game. It tripped me up for awhile

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Yeah, sounds like a room size problem.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Also make sure the edge of your room is actually inside the town border.

I ran into that issue in the 2nd island. They asked me to make a blueprint bedroom for a story character, and they gave me the choice of where to plop the blueprint. By that point in the story, I was out of good space so I flattened a hilltop and built right on the edge of town. Unfortunately for me, my first attempt was hanging literally 1 tile row outside the invisible bounds of town and so I had to scrap it all and shift by 1 tile to make it work.

I really wish they'd show you a visible outline of the border of your town. The UI/town music/Malroth behavior are all well and good, but nothin' beats a nice outline.

• Options
    Wait until you get to chapter three, where there are clear visual indicators of where you can build that are, in fact, totally wrong.

• Options
    Trying to make Barracks style bedrooms and the requirement for the room is "fighting kit". Uhh, is that the ornamental weapon and armor stuff?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So check me on something. When you go to explorer islands, do you only get to bring back one person to your island? I had one island that had three people on it, and i got the 'joins your island' message talking to them all but for some reason when i got back to the island only one came off the boat with me.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Only one at a time. When you run into more than one it is whoever you accept last that comes back with you.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Another thing about explorer islands, I see completed the scavenger hunt checklist, but what is this "builderdom" count I see when you look at an island's info on the sea map?

I'm on the Moonbrooke story island and I feel like I should just speed through the quests. Whenever I want to chill and build out the castle how I want it, either a subsequent quest has me building a specific new room that throws my floor plan out of whack. Or monster waves keep coming, and new types appear that defeat your current defenses if you do too many quests.

• Options
    Probably the Builderdom's Best buildings you see once per island. They happen to be a size easy enough to copy with a pencil, which I imagine is part of the reason they seed the islands with them.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Only one at a time. When you run into more than one it is whoever you accept last that comes back with you.

Wow...so the three options were an old lady, a child who told a pretty friggin dark tale of him and his parents were on a boat 'that got all wobbly' and asked me to let him wait for his parents to find him on my island, and a nun. I ended up with the nun.

Sorry kid. I really wanted to help you.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Probably the Builderdom's Best buildings you see once per island. They happen to be a size easy enough to copy with a pencil, which I imagine is part of the reason they seed the islands with them.

There was also an event or contest or something in Japan where people built those camps you sometimes run into on the isles and the best ones got chosen. I think the Builderdom thing is related to that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Wait until you get to chapter three, where there are clear visual indicators of where you can build that are, in fact, totally wrong.

Ignore everything and just look for when the UI changes to show your town level.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Moonbrooke has been my least favorite island so far because of the monster spawns in the later quests that can breach your walls, making doing blueprints a hassle. And what they did to my bud Malroth. Just speedrunned the quests to get off this island already.

If I would do it all over again I would suggest doing the explorer islands checklists to get unlimited coal and iron first before heading to Moonbrooke. And when they tell you to mine marble, gather a ton of them. Like a full stack of marble.

• Options
    Yeah, I just tried to build something in Khrumbul-Dun this morning that turned out to be half-inside half outside the down (despite there seeming to be a clear invitation to build something there, given the ornate posts that are already present.

It also dawned on me that back in Furrowfield, my villagers probably weren't using the elevated bathhouse I built because it was almost certainly hanging over the town boundary. Do you eventually get a tool for moving multiple blocks at once? I want to go back and adjust that bathhouse, but it'll be tedious to move it by hand (and only slightly less tedious to break it down and rebuild it from scratch).

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I built an actual, goddamn, three story with 6 block gaps between floors castle in Moonbrooke. Gardens, new walls that made sense, gatehouses, the lot. Even kept clear of obvious later-game issues like the chapel and the beacon towers. About 7000 blocks of castle brick. Fully decorated interiors.

But nothing, NOTHING, warns you about the final build. Which caused me to tear apart 60% of my castle so I could do the final fight. That plus the agency-robbing storyline made Moonbrooke the least good chapter of all. I enjoyed parts of it, sure, but getting back to IoA was like "finally, fuck that town."

Enc on
  • Options
    Still love this game all the amounts, but man was Moonbrooke bad.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I haven't really bothered with trying to do cool or good builds in the story towns. That seems like a recipe for disaster and frustration. I'm pouring all of my creativity into IoA.

• Options
    That's the right call. But when I saw what Moonbrooke considered a castle I was like "This is a pile of rocks. We can do better."

They didn't deserve better, though.

• Options
    Build a dope castle just outside city limits.

"That's right, you dorks can look but you cannot touch."

• Options
    Like, literally, the idea of touching it cannot enter your NPC heads.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I wonder if all the traps and combat stuff are going to ever be relevant ever again after Moonbrooke and that
    Seems like a waste for them to be useless with so much work put into them

• Options
    You can use them to farm monsters for parts. You can also lay some down when fighting strong monsters for some supplemental damage. You could also just use them as decorations.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Like I was hoping the Scare Force magical defense trap was a hard counter like the previous traps but nope just briefly freeze the knights and robots and they keep on trucking to your castle. No one has enough DPS to take them down before they thaw.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    What i do now is move to the edge of town until the gratitude bar vanishes, then move up and down until it vanishes again. Then I plonk down a six block higher pillar to mark the corners of the actual town area.

I spent a long time doing up the first island and then green gardens, but it absolutely isn't worth it. You'll have so many more recipes by the end of the second island, plus be able to remove rock blocks. You'd end up rebuilding everything better anyway.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Once I finished the story I completely punched down everything I had before and started focusing on terraforming in preparation for future planned works. Taking a Fire Emblem break now, and then probably other game breaks, but I know I'll come back to it and get right on building. Since I have castle and industrial pieces to work with I was hoping to build Figaro castle.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Moonbrooke gets better the further in you get. You start expanding out so you're not just instantly ganged up on the second you step outside a room.

But the whole "gimmick" of the chapter absolutely wore incredibly thin, incredibly fast.

Something that will save your soul later on though. They tell you to mine for marble behind the castle. This runs dry really quickly. But there is marble in the various mountains out in the world, and in better quantities to boot.

Oh and something that will save your sanity too. Just... forget about trying to make whatever you build with castle walls pretty. You'll notice straight away the auto chaining and changing appearance nature of the blocks will drive you insane if you want shit to look good. You'll want one specific look, but the blocks keep changing on you. The devs realized this, because there's an item in the hub you can make to just make the block you want without the auto chaining feature, but you don't have this for Moonbrooke (you can bring one with you after the chapter is over, if you still actually care at that point). So just do yourself a favor and build the damn room and don't worry that the blocks don't match.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The quiz you had to pass from the tongue lispy goblin monster in Moonbrooke was the point in the game where reading funny accents finally drove me up a wall.