As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam : Monster Boy, Just Cause 4, Mutant Year Zero & Override out today!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Chris Avellone is involved in some capacity I think?

That's enough to get my interest, at least

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I think he only really wrote one companion, the goblin rogue. And did some consulting on storylines.
    Owlcat games is a Russian studio.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    It looks fun, but from the preview builds they've had streamers play for the past year,
    I wouldn't expect the writing to be anything to write home about.
    Best to set expectations properly.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm finally playing Witcher 3. I bought it like a year ago, but the first couple of times I tried to play it the wildly swaying trees made me extremely motion sick for some reason. This almost never happens to me in games, but it was enough to keep me away from it since then.

I must have been going through a bad inner ear week at the time, because now it doesn't bother me at all.

Hey, this is a pretty good game, isn't it?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    The amount of tree sway in Witcher 3 is...weird

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Ff12 people help me out: who should get the belias summon

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    you should probably look at a guide

if you're playing the Zodiac Age version, you can easily frik over a character build

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Ff12 people help me out: who should get the belias summon

Depends on class, since different summons unlock different stuff depending

Belias doesn't unlock anything too bonkers, you're looking at Potion Lore for Knight, Libra for Samurai, or Horology for Breaker

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hey, as long as developers/arists/performers get paid I'm all for TWD getting finished

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    you should probably look at a guide

if you're playing the Zodiac Age version, you can easily frik over a character build

Yeah I'm playing ZA but the class train already left the station a long time ago

I tried to go with what I felt was thematic to what I knew about the characters when I got them instead of agonizing over what might be best, I strongly suspect this has left my Balthier properly fucked since his damage is so much lower than everyone else's right now
    Vaan is Shikari/Foebreaker cause he is a little street rat who also wants to smash stuff

Basch is Knight/Buschi because he is a knight samurai that is what he is

Penelo is WMG/BMG cause she cares I guess? And also lights stuff on fire? Also girls do magic???

Fraan is Archer/Uhlan because bunny people are archers (this is a fact) and spears are just giant arrows

Ashe is red mage/time mage cause she seems like she's got a bit of magic going on but she would definitely want to use it in well rounded and time bending ways

...Balthier is Machinist/Monk cause he can't not be a machinist and also he's a very zen whatever happens happens kinda guy

as I switch back and forth to keep exp even my parties usually end up being Vaan/Balthier/Penelo and Basche/Ashe/Fran

I guess I'll take a second and look at what class gets what for belias I was hoping there was a more themey answer though, I liked how all the summons in FF13 were tied explicitly to a different character

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    well if you have both classes unlocked for everyone, then you can see if anything you want's hidden behind the summon

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    hey, as long as developers/arists/performers get paid I'm all for TWD getting finished

I think the way it's phrased makes this incredibly wishful thinking, sadly

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    if people aren't getting paid, then burn it down and salt the earth

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I suspect whatever tiny skeleton crew is left, should they go on to finish it, will get paid for the work to put out episode 3 and 4

The 200+ people who have already been laid off will, regardless of what happens, be totally one hundred percent shit out of luck

So I mean, if they finish it that is neat for people that already bought it in advance but maybe strongly contemplate whether you want to give Telltale money for it going forward even if they do put out a finished season

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Skeleton crew is apparently working on the Minecraft project for Netflix.

• Options
    Correct, but who knows how the fuck this new "Maybe Walking Dead Final Season?" thing plays out

They could stay on long enough to finish both, they could farm out the assets of TWD to another developer to finish it up, they could just make their tiny team crunch until they literally die at their desks doing both, the world may never know

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Everything I've heard from the devs on Twitter says the entire TWD team is gone, so yeah, I'm highly skeptical of them finishing the game. Even if they secured more funding from, I don't know, a charitable millionaire dying to see the ending, they'd need to farm it out to a new team to do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Predictably, Twitter is almost all people going "Praise the Lord, our long suffering is over!" mixed with like one or two people going "Uh hey guys they just fucked over hundreds of people"

EDIT: I don't know why I just did that to myself, in hindsight, now I'm just exhausted and want to drink forever

Maddoc on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Best case scenario is probably more like Half-Life Epistle 3, where some writers just release a rough outline of what they had planned.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

I think he only really wrote one companion, the goblin rogue. And did some consulting on storylines.
    Owlcat games is a Russian studio.

Yeah he did lots of consulting and wrote one companion

last I saw of it was quite a while ago but the playtest videos I saw had apparently finished dialogue and stuff and it was... pretty bad. it was clearly not Avellone's writing for some of those characters at all.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hahah the Combo Breaker! trophy in Crosscode:
    It's only 20 minutes. Guess me spending an hour running in circles in the desert fighting stuff was a tad overkill.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Going public with your company seems like a terrible deal for your employees.
    Probably better to be smaller, more stable, being able to ensure ethical treatment of your people,
    than risking Liongate replacing your CEO with a closer, and throwing 200+ people under the bus.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm finally playing Witcher 3. I bought it like a year ago, but the first couple of times I tried to play it the wildly swaying trees made me extremely motion sick for some reason. This almost never happens to me in games, but it was enough to keep me away from it since then.

I must have been going through a bad inner ear week at the time, because now it doesn't bother me at all.

Hey, this is a pretty good game, isn't it?

I had a hard time focusing my eyes on the game until I disabled some bloom and other advanced graphic settings. It's something I've never had happen with a game before.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I only started Witcher 3 in May and just finished it last week, but I had such a baller time with it. One thing I found improved my time with the game was playing with the HUD off - it took me too long to realise that it was a crutch that didn't add as much to the experience as being more immersed in the world did. Provided it doesn't re-trigger the motion sickness.

There's a let's play together thread around here that has low but steady traffic for a game from 2015 and is pretty positive towards updates from first-timers. They managed to completely sell me on grabbing the expansions, so that's apparently replacing The Walking Dead final season on my wishlist.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Going public with your company seems like a terrible deal for your employees.
    Probably better to be smaller, more stable, being able to ensure ethical treatment of your people,
    than risking Liongate replacing your CEO with a closer, and throwing 200+ people under the bus.

Taking a company public is the exact point that nobody above entry-level in the company will ever care about anything other than quarterly profits ever again. Sure, they'll spend money on marketing campaigns to SAY they treat all their customers like family and quality is their primary focus, but it's all complete bullshit.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Wait, they shuttered the studio mid-development of the final season of their biggest game?

I naively thought this was all done and they were just making the vast majority of the people redundant.

• Options
    The thing is Walking Dead wasn't their "biggest game"

The only things that made them any money whatsoever since TWD season 1 were 7 Days to Die and Minecraft Story Mode

So they're finishing up Minecraft Story Mode to meet some contractual obligations

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    It seems wild that they couldn't find more success with their other games. It certainly feels like they had decent clout, and they don't look like they should have been too expensive to make (relative to AAA)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

The only things that made them any money whatsoever since TWD season 1 were 7 Days to Die and Minecraft Story Mode

So they're finishing up Minecraft Story Mode to meet some contractual obligations

This I did not know. When I think of telltale, that's the first game that comes to mind

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    telltale had a good amount of goodwill within the community

they just didn't have any financial success

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Their games are mostly QTEs, right? That's got to be a tough sell for most people.

I've only ever played the Borderlands one, so I don't know if that's the rule or the exception.

sig.gif
  • Options
    They are combination QTE, point-and-click, and choose your own text adventure yeah

I can't imagine there has been a huge demand for that really

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Part of it too was after TWD season 1, they started pumping out so many even those that liked them couldn't keep up

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Part of it too was after TWD season 1, they started pumping out so many even those that liked them couldn't keep up

11 games in six years really isn't that many to follow. I play more than 11 games in a single year. I think there's a few things at play, one of which is something we've started hearing more and more: episodic games are actually bad for business. No matter how much we may say we like the delivery system of episodic games, the market has shown that the result is people just wait for everything to be out. And once you have people waiting for something to be fully out, you've lost all the "launch" marketing buzz.

Also management is clearly just, huge problems there, if they're staying the course that hard despite producing one profitable game after TWD

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

I'm not seeing their connection to 7 Days to Die?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

I'm not seeing their connection to 7 Days to Die?

They are one of the publishers for it.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

11 games in six years really isn't that many to follow. I play more than 11 games in a single year. I think there's a few things at play, one of which is something we've started hearing more and more: episodic games are actually bad for business. No matter how much we may say we like the delivery system of episodic games, the market has shown that the result is people just wait for everything to be out. And once you have people waiting for something to be fully out, you've lost all the "launch" marketing buzz.

Also management is clearly just, huge problems there, if they're staying the course that hard despite producing one profitable game after TWD

Episodic games are like nega-DLC-season passes to me. Rather than paying upfront for DLC I may or may not engage with but know will come out, I can pay upfront to get a bunch of future content I have to engage with but have no clear idea of the timeline for.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I hate episodic game releases.

It’s just not how I like to engage with the medium.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Yep. I'm very interested in Life is Strange 2, but I hate the episodic release model, so I'll just wait for all the episodes to be out before getting it.

This discussion has been closed.