Steam : Monster Boy, Just Cause 4, Mutant Year Zero & Override out today!

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I would definitely believe Colonial Marines outsold Isolation.
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Colonial Marines is the best-selling Alien(s) game, much like Absolution is the best-selling Hitman game.

*vomits forever*

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    People were probably more interested in an Aliens FPS than a survival horror game, purely on the popularity of those genres. Also, the Aliens franchise was possibly tainted enough by Colonial Marines that it turned people off from aliens videogames.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I liked Isolation as an idea, but as someone who is a fan of the Aliens franchise because of how terrifying it is (or used to be), I found it to be basically unplayable

Shorty on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    People were probably more interested in an Aliens FPS than a survival horror game, purely on the popularity of those genres. Also, the Aliens franchise was possibly tainted enough by Colonial Marines that it turned people off from aliens videogames.

Gearbox was making it so how could it go wrong? It's totally going to be the bestest game ever! Second coming of AvP2!

To be fair though, up until the reality of the situation came to light, there really wasn't a whole lot of reason to believe Colonial Marines wouldn't be Borderlands quality. An Aliens fps with that level of quality could/would have been the new gold standard for the Aliens property.

I really enjoyed Alien Isolation a lot. It was very stressful due to the atmosphere, and yeah, there were a few sequences that were more annoying than scary, but the look, feel and sound of everything were so goddamn great.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    aliens isolation was a 6 hour game that was really fantastic stretched out over 20 hours

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had to turn off the alien after those 6 hours so I could enjoy the rest of the game.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    aliens isolation was a 6 hour game that was really fantastic stretched out over 20 hours

This also sums up my feelings on Prey.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played prey for about six hours thinking "cool when does the game start" the entire time and then gave up

edited November 2018
    Sprout wrote: »

Shorty wrote: »
    I played prey for about six hours thinking "cool when does the game start" the entire time and then gave up

I mean, I'm biased as hell because immersive sims are my absolute jam, but

No!
    Prey GOTY 2017

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

I generally like those games, but that one took too long to get going for me

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I think that what I actually wanted was Tacoma, but looking like Prey.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have Slain your pathetic Spire (after fifteen attempts, with a truly bizarre Ironclad Snecko Eye build that was teetering on the edge of complete disaster every turn.)

Now I've moved on to the Silent, and I kind of love how she plays. It's really impressive how a straightforward character like the Ironclad teaches you all these weird mechanics, and then the Silent just takes those same mechanics and blows all the doors off. I just had my second run with her, and I very nearly made it to the final boss with a poison/thorns/defense build. I think I would have made it if I hadn't picked up a velvet choker without considering how badly a six-card limit would handicap me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I love Prey (2017)

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Prey would have been a bit better for me if it had better animations for its human characters, and if it had used the trick of a room suddenly switching to microgravity a bit more, and if it had managed to execute on the final sequence just a little better (having to put all your knowledge of the station layout to run from one end to another is cool as all hell, it was just slightly marred by how quickly you can fly through it, and the zone transitions)

but otherwise it was probably a perfect game for me

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I loved the Prey climax in theory, but the load times on PS4 were BRUTAL, and absolutely obliterated the pacing

The denouement was great, though. Took one of my least favorite ending tropes and tweaked it enough that I enjoyed it.

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    My only problem with Prey was it had what I felt was one of the best extended openings in the last couple of years...
    the helicopter ride, me thinking the birds looked shitty and the game lampooning that after, the first mimic attack, making your way through the ruined simulation lab while trying to piece the truth from the lies and all that. And then you get the your first neuromod and you get to pick... like 1% faster reloading speed, or whatever.

It threw me right out of the moment, and while I still like the game well enough (and LOVE Mooncrash) I wonder how great the base game could been if they had made a tighter, shorter experience.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I loved the Prey climax in theory, but the load times on PS4 were BRUTAL, and absolutely obliterated the pacing

so many games have this problem. So many games are ruined because of loading times or jarring differences between cutscenes and gameplay. then theres just randomly shitty things like cutscene quality. For instance what the fuck is up with Wolfenstien's cutscenes looking lower res than their actual gameplay? I dont get it. And theyre good cutscenes!

One of the reasons why I will always defend Arkham Knight is that the entire thing follows a direct camera line that never breaks once you get control of batman. Every time theres a cutscene or a transition, the camera moves from batman to the scene smoothly. It creates the sensation that the entire game is one camera shot, its insanely immersive. It would also do things like if you flew up onto a roof, rather than loading a cutscene, the camera would smoothly and suddenly show like the Joker there talking, with no jarring camera change. Theres a scene where you dont even realise you have control of the batmobile until you press accelerate and literally drive yourself out of the cutscene. It cant be understated how this creates a sense of grounded place. It also conveyed information to you in varied ways, showing you video feeds on your arm, or on a wall, or with characters suddenly interupting gameplay, but with the camera remaining in one smooth transition, giving the sense that you havent just loaded in a cutscene, but the character was actually there all along and is part of the world. However people feel about the actual story, I felt like that was quite an unsung technical and artistic achievement that i wish more games would replicate

There has to be a sense that a game is directed, or at least the direction is being considered, beyond just the cutscene camera angles themselves, for a narrative to really make use of the format. Even in open world games.

Games need to focus on this kind of stuff more, its an aspect of storytelling and immersion that they have over pretty much ever other medium

Prohass on
    there's a thing they do along those lines at the end of MGS3 that creates what is still probably my favorite moment in a video game

edited November 2018
    During helicopter ride, when you (Yu) start tapping your feet in-game to the (banging!) soundtrack is probably my favorite moment of 2017

e: I should re-install Prey, shouldn't I

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

so many games have this problem. So many games are ruined because of loading times or jarring differences between cutscenes and gameplay. then theres just randomly shitty things like cutscene quality. For instance what the fuck is up with Wolfenstien's cutscenes looking lower res than their actual gameplay? I dont get it. And theyre good cutscenes!

One of the reasons why I will always defend Arkham Knight is that the entire thing follows a direct camera line that never breaks once you get control of batman. Every time theres a cutscene or a transition, the camera moves from batman to the scene smoothly. It creates the sensation that the entire game is one camera shot, its insanely immersive. It would also do things like if you flew up onto a roof, rather than loading a cutscene, the camera would smoothly and suddenly show like the Joker there talking, with no jarring camera change. Theres a scene where you dont even realise you have control of the batmobile until you press accelerate and literally drive yourself out of the cutscene. It cant be understated how this creates a sense of grounded place. It also conveyed information to you in varied ways, showing you video feeds on your arm, or on a wall, or with characters suddenly interupting gameplay, but with the camera remaining in one smooth transition, giving the sense that you havent just loaded in a cutscene, but the character was actually there all along and is part of the world. However people feel about the actual story, I felt like that was quite an unsung technical and artistic achievement that i wish more games would replicate

There has to be a sense that a game is directed, or at least the direction is being considered, beyond just the cutscene camera angles themselves, for a narrative to really make use of the format. Even in open world games.

Games need to focus on this kind of stuff more, its an aspect of storytelling and immersion that they have over pretty much ever other medium

I've long felt that Rocksteady are excellent storytellers who just work with terrible stories

The techniques they use on Arkham Knight are considered and impressive and genuinely excellent, and they're all in service of a story that I felt was a waste of my time to even read a summary of

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Everyone that owns a PS4 should have an SSD in there. The cost of a 1TB SSD is about $130, and Sony themselves have instructions on how to replace the hard drive on their website. It doesn't violate the warranty, you just have to spend an hour or so doing it yourself.

That of course won't completely eliminate load times, but the hard drive that's in there is a 5400 RPM platter. It's one hell of an upgrade.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    so I got to the highest reputation rank on Fortuna, the Venus debt internment colony, in Warframe
    I found out where they keep their heads

and god help me, I wish I didn't

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I have Slain your pathetic Spire (after fifteen attempts, with a truly bizarre Ironclad Snecko Eye build that was teetering on the edge of complete disaster every turn.)

Now I've moved on to the Silent, and I kind of love how she plays. It's really impressive how a straightforward character like the Ironclad teaches you all these weird mechanics, and then the Silent just takes those same mechanics and blows all the doors off. I just had my second run with her, and I very nearly made it to the final boss with a poison/thorns/defense build. I think I would have made it if I hadn't picked up a velvet choker without considering how badly a six-card limit would handicap me.

I strongly recommend a the Silent Shiv build with a Dead Branch relic in your inventory.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Every time I think I’m coming up on the end of the first Nier arc, the fuckin’ thing just keeps on going

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Of course the new Battletech expansion and the new Sea of Thieves expansion drop right when I'm finally in the middle of Pillars 2.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    On this week’s waypoint radio, Patrick describing Darksiders 3 as a Darksiders fan game and “this game tries to scratch your Zelda itch but it don’t got no nail” was brutal.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

I strongly recommend a the Silent Shiv build with a Dead Branch relic in your inventory.

You monster

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also I've been playing Slay the Spire again and I just made it to Act 4 for the first time last night and I'm considering resurrecting the Slay the Spire thread because shit is bonkers

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    On this week’s waypoint radio, Patrick describing Darksiders 3 as a Darksiders fan game and “this game tries to scratch your Zelda itch but it don’t got no nail” was brutal.

That's a really good turn of phrase.

How did the click-to-reveal-product-key thing work here again

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Sprout wrote: »

the gameplay of prey was fun and interesting enough to keep me going

alien wasn't

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

The tag < codes > with each code on a separate line between the tags.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

[ codes ]
    Poopoo
    Peepee
    Kaka
    Dookie
    [ /codes ]

But without the spaces for the bracketed stuff. That will yield this:

Loading...?
    Where each person that clicks gets a random thing.

MrMonroe wrote: »

The tag < codes > with each code on a separate line between the tags.

but with [ ] brackets, right?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Oh! And best practice is to put that in a spoiler, as many people just click on any button available, not realizing their click will consume a code.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Also I've been playing Slay the Spire again and I just made it to Act 4 for the first time last night and I'm considering resurrecting the Slay the Spire thread because shit is bonkers

Oh shit there's a 4th act?

steam_sig.png
    Okay let's try this. Here's the latest craze, the Jeff Gerstmann Approved™ racing game
    Loading...?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Straightzi wrote: »

Oh shit there's a 4th act?

beta client

you fight the heart

This discussion has been closed.