As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I will be adding that to my mini console collection. Rocket Knight please!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Apparently M.2 is doing this, we're in very good hands. Between their quality and double the games, this just might surpass the SNES mini.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Demonstrating again why (IMO) the Japanese version was best looking of the three 1st gen versions.

I prefer the NA version, personally.

Anywho, Kotaku reports it will be sold worldwide on September 19th, and have 40 games built in, including (at least in Japan): Sonic 2, Puyo Puyo 2, Shining Force, Castlevania Bloodlines, Powerball, Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Rent-a-Hero, Space Harrier II, and Madou Monogatari Ichi. Some of those were never localized, so it's expected the other lineups will differ.

M2 is developing, and "the system will include different regional variations of some games. For example, the Mega Drive Mini in Japan will include the U.S., European, and Japanese versions of Castlevania: Bloodlines. It didn’t say if the overseas versions of the device would similarly contain different regional variations, but it seems likely."

In Japan, there will be versions with one (about $60) or two ($80) USB six-button controllers like the original. Games will have a save-anywhere feature, and the system music is by Streets of Rage's Yuzo Koshiro.

Also, I've heard the doors on the cartridge slot open and close like the original (dunno if carts work), and there's an SD card slot in the panel where the original hooked to the SEGA CD.

This sounds so good...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I could actually see myself getting the Sega Genesis mini. That sounds great. Getting Yuzo Koshiro to do the menu music is an inspired choice.

• Options
    Here is the first ten announced for the western release of the Genesis mini:

Altered Beast
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Comix Zone
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Gunstar Heroes
    Shining Force
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Space Harrier 2
    Toejam & Earl

I'm glad to see Ecco on there. I love the genesis collection on the PS4 but really hated how the Ecco games were left off. Hopefully we get Ecco 2 also.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    It'd be ideal if they also included Contra: Hard Corps. It's probably the best Contra.

Also:
    44xpechjieyq.png

While Japan gets 6-button controllers, we get the old 3-button controller. Boo. I always had a hard time going back to the 3-button once I regularly used the 6-button.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    While Japan gets 6-button controllers, we get the old 3-button controller. Boo. I always had a hard time going back to the 3-button once I regularly used the 6-button.

Is this a hint that Japan is getting some fighters that the U.S. isn't?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They have made so many Genesis clone consoles.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They have made so many Genesis clone consoles.

This is the first one I've been interested in because it is being done by Sega themselves. Having M2 handle the emulation is also an awesome thing.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    i already bought Bloodlines and Rocket Knight.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It'd be ideal if they also included Contra: Hard Corps. It's probably the best Contra.

Also:
    44xpechjieyq.png

Jesus. As quickly as I was excited for this thing, there's the other shoe.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Also:
    44xpechjieyq.png

Jesus. As quickly as I was excited for this thing, there's the other shoe.

I can't help but think to myself, of course they still find a way to fuck it up.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I assume that means it's not including Street Fighter II.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Comix Zone was cock-punchingly hard. I have no interest in screaming at that game again.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

You can play Street Fighter 2, but it's a bit tough since pressing "Start" switches the punches to kicks and vice-versa. You play it enough you get used to it...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

You can play Street Fighter 2, but it's a bit tough since pressing "Start" switches the punches to kicks and vice-versa. You play it enough you get used to it...
    I wouldn't consider that playing Street Fighter 2.

Also, no pause?

• Options

Yeah, I know it has that option (although I've never played it like that), and at the time if you only had a Genesis/MD of course you had to make do, and I don't doubt you could get used to it... but in this day and age, with so many other easy ways to play that game with enough buttons, why would you even bother?

To be fair, it's not exactly a game synonymous with the system anyway, not like it was with the SNES; and Sega are doubtless pitching this new unit at people who are very likely to already have a SNES Classic (e.g., us lot) and thus SFII. So that's space (and, more importantly, licensing and/or effort) that could go towards including another game which would represent Sega's 16-bit heyday rather better :)

• Options
    To be fair, it's not exactly a game synonymous with the system anyway, not like it was with the SNES; and Sega are doubtless pitching this new unit at people who are very likely to already have a SNES Classic (e.g., us lot) and thus SFII. So that's space (and, more importantly, licensing and/or effort) that could go towards including another game which would represent Sega's 16-bit heyday rather better :)

Yeah like Eternal Champions /s

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I was a Nintendo fanboy back during Sega’s salad days. I’m very interested in a mini Genesis, if done right. It would be my first Sega console.

And 40 games makes Nintendo’s selection look downright stingy. However the quality of the games was part of the reason I was a Nintendo kid.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Would be cool to play that Dinosaurs with guns game again, probably not as good as 8 year old me thought it was though. Also this thing needs Kid Chameleon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Would be cool to play that Dinosaurs with guns game again, probably not as good as 8 year old me thought it was though. Also this thing needs Kid Chameleon.

I'm assuming you mean Dinosaurs For Hire.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Is there a reason the Disney Genesis games never get re released anywhere? I would love to be able to play Lion King or Aladdin again.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Is there a reason the Disney Genesis games never get re released anywhere? I would love to be able to play Lion King or Aladdin again.

Licensing, I assume.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

GoG has both of them (and Jungle Book).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Yeah Castle of Illusion and Aladdin belong here as sheer all-time classics, but probably won't show.

Steam has the PS3-era Castle of Illusion remake which is supposedly quite good.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    That used to be a refrain at the game store I used to work at (on the occasion that more than one person was working).

"Best Disney game ever?" someone (usually me) would call out.

"Castle of Illusion" came the immediate response from across the store.

Often busted out if someone was looking at a copy of it and asking if it was any good. And yes, yes it was. Fantastic game.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I would love to be able to play Lion King
    *Thousand yard stare*

• Options
    I should put those on my Nes mini my gf would love them.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I'm assuming you mean Dinosaurs For Hire.

Yeah that was it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Games I really want on the Sega classic:

Blaster Master 2
    Puggsy
    Strider
    X-Men 1 & 2 - pipe dream due to licensing but I can dream.
    Quackshot or Castle of Illusion

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Blaster Master 2
    Puggsy
    Strider

I'd rather alla din that quackshot. Movie us coming out too.

Eternal champion needs a place. That was a really good fighting game especially wyebbthere was so much shit out in rhat genre.

• Options
    Blaster Master 2 was a huuuuuge disappointment to me when I rented it.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Blaster Master 2
    Puggsy
    Strider

Herzog Zwei for sure. Still have fond memories of completely randomly renting that with a friend of mine when the game we wanted (which I forget now) wasn't there. When we played it, we had no clue what you were supposed to do. It took us a couple hours, but we eventually figured it out.

And of course the Vectorman games.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    Figuring out Herzog Zwei was pretty fun back then. It definitely took us a few hours too. At first it just seemed like a simple vs game with friends where you could transform from a humanoid to a jet and blow each other up. Then we found out how to build stuff...and learned about taking over bases. Soon one of us had a base lined with AA guns.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Is the original castle of illusion better than the remake?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    They're really different platformers but both extremely good ones. The remake takes its inspiration, setting and cues from the original but the actual level design is completely different, it embraces a lot more 3D gameplay and such. I don't think one really replaces the other, its more like a reboot.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    It seems like there are a bunch of hidden gems in Genesis games.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-sega-genesis-games-hidden-gem

Krathoon on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It seems like there are a bunch of hidden gems in Genesis games.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-sega-genesis-games-hidden-gem

Wow, that link brought back SO many memories.

General Chaos and that Robot Baseball 2020, plus Micro Machines, were constant staples of my house growing up.

And X-Men 2 is just SO good.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    It seems to me that the Genesis had a quirkier library than the SNES.

• Options
    I actually just recently perused the short list of Genesis/Mega Drive games that have fan translations and added them to my SNES Classic. Did you know that they apparently cut out a lot of stuff from Dynamite Headdy when they brought it over to the US? Well, now I get to see it. Too bad I haven't played much of the original despite being a huge fan of Treasure's games and owning he cartridge.

There's also a game called Vixen 357 which is made by the same people who made Langrisser, except it's in a sci-fi setting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_GRFLN8Y5k

There's also one called Battle Golfer Yui which appears to be a combination of golf and RPG. Whether it's anything like Golf Story for Switch is unlikely, but this screenshot cracked me up:
    c35bl4345yph.png

There's also an unlicensed RPG from Taiwan called Brave Battle Saga whose fan translation got removed from the site I get my patches from because the game's rights were acquired by another company who decided to recently release it on Steam to no fanfare that I am aware of.