As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Colibri is actually one other name for Humming bird in portuguese.

I can't tell if you're being facetious.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    bwanie wrote: »
    Colibri is actually one other name for Humming bird in portuguese.

I can't tell if you're being facetious.

No facetiousness, it checks out on Google Translate. Not as the first hit, but a few down.

You learn something new every day!

Jazz on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Sorry, that came out kinda dickish, what i meant to say was Kolibri means hummingbird in a lot of european languages.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I heard good things about the Super NT when it hit but sadly I've lost or sold all my original cartridges for most everything. I have some PS1 and Dreamcast stuff kicking around but all my carts had to go after several moves in a row where they just took up space. I still miss having Mario Kart 64 to bust out.

But yeah even if I did have my Genesis carts I wouldn't probably go for the SG. It's a good piece of hardware but hardly seems worth it. The fact it outputs in 1080p is the biggest factor the machines have going for them, since the PS Classic/Retron can only do 720p.

Anyways I picked up the 8bitdo adapter for the PS Classic, totally worth it for certain games. I recommend installing Bleemsync even if you don't wanna add stuff to the Classic, as it allows you to fiddle with settings behind the scenes. For instance by default analog sticks on the 8bitdo are emulating the Dpad controls and can be a bit laggy. By using the Bleemsync options you can force it to think a Dualshock 2 is plugged in (or even a light gun!). Pretty nifty stuff. The other nice feature of that is, forcing NTSC since every game on the Classic is PAL. I've also found that disabling music features can improve performance dramatically on some games that stream longer songs off the disc. You can even do an uncapped framerate mode but it tends to mess up the games and cause them to run too fast/slow.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Oh and also, if you're interested in Bleemsync but still wanna do 2 player games (or wanna do 4 player games on the Classic) you do need to keep a USB flash drive in the second controller slot to load Bleemsync onto it.

I picked up a cheap *powered* USB hub and it works great for multi controller games. The only downside is the official PS Classic pads have the long faux plugs that make it hard to plug 4 in. I use small USB extension cables to make the whole thing work, but it's a big mess of wires. It's almost worth investing in a few extra 8bitdo adapters since they're only about 20 bucks a pop, and it's much nice to be wire free.

I'm really loving the Classic now that I've spent some time with it, it's a shame Sony screwed the pooch on games licenses, it can really do a lot when you mess with it a bit

(Also also the 8bitdo is compatible with DS4 and Xbox One pads, which is nice if you're like me and prefer Xbox style controls)

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    How much of the comparative cost of the Mega SG can be accounted for by it using the FPGA? I have no idea how much those things cost to implement.

I'm mainly asking because the ZX Spectrum Next uses an FPGA too (and as late as that thing is running, and as much as I'm not actually sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm still looking forward to it).

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The FPGA chip alone is $50. No idea on the other components but the unit is of relatively high build quality.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Sorry, that came out kinda dickish, what i meant to say was Kolibri means hummingbird in a lot of european languages.
    holy crap I always thought Colibrí came from some native South-American language, but the earliest use of it comes from French.
    that's amazing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    How much of the comparative cost of the Mega SG can be accounted for by it using the FPGA? I have no idea how much those things cost to implement.

I'm mainly asking because the ZX Spectrum Next uses an FPGA too (and as late as that thing is running, and as much as I'm not actually sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm still looking forward to it).

Just posting this which is not that relevant to the system.

As an Engineer, I'm just giggling over here to myself that normal people are talking about FPGAs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What are some hidden Sega Genesis gems? Really, I got the main stuff from the PS2-PS4 collections. Also, that second release of the Genesis Flashback HD was pretty good.

• Options
    There were some excellent but relatively obscure shmups; in particular I have fond memories of Darwin 4081, Hellfire, Insector X and Thunder Force III.

• Options
    It might be worth it to get Sonic 3 and Sonic and Nuckles.

• Options
    Also lots of classic JRPGs on the Genesis. Phatasy Star 4, the Shining Force games, Lunar (if you have CD), Pier Solar and other gems

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    That wasn't included in your "main stuff from the PS2-PS4 collections"?? They certainly aren't hidden gems!

• Options
    I don't have Peir Solar. Seems fancy.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Super Hang-On was fantastic too; the whole arcade game is there (and as a near-perfect port) but it expanded on it a lot with a new Genesis/MD-only "career" mode of sorts.

Out Run was alright on it, certainly better than most contemporary versions, but it wasn't until the Saturn that we'd get an arcade-perfect version (and then because it more or less was the arcade game).

Jazz on
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    That wasn't included in your "main stuff from the PS2-PS4 collections"?? They certainly aren't hidden gems!

They don't have the Sonic and Nuckles 3 combo. Maybe my old Gamecube Sonic collections have it.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    What are some hidden Sega Genesis gems? Really, I got the main stuff from the PS2-PS4 collections. Also, that second release of the Genesis Flashback HD was pretty good.

One game I always liked on that system was Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. It was a port of a PC RPG. You build a party and the turn-based battles are on a tactical grid. There are also ship-to-ship battles. I'm not sure how it holds up these days. I do remember the sound effects and music being kind of bad. The "music" during the battles was just a drumbeat. I always wondered if they meant to have an additional audio track in there. I found a full playthrough of it:
    https://youtu.be/UByqJvOrna8

Another one I really liked was Starflight, which was also a PC port. It kind of reminded me of Star Control 2, albeit with less emphasis on battles. It wouldn't surprise me if both of those games influenced the creators of Mass Effect. I think the Genesis version added Star Control-style ship battles, although my memory tells me that you only had one ship.

Warsong was another tactical RPG that I remember my brother renting when we were kids. I didn't play it too much, but it looked awesome. It looks like a combination of Famicom/Super Famicom/Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. I bought the game on cartridge when I briefly got into buying games on ebay, and later put it on my SNES Classic. In Japan the game is known as Langrisser and is part of a multi-game series, although I don't think any others got an official US release here. Have some footage of the first battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n99yGWsQRR8

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I remember the Sonic Jam collection on Saturn let you select Sonic & Knuckles by itself, or select any lock-on option with Sonic 1-3. It was pretty spiffy.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I remember the Sonic Jam collection on Saturn let you select Sonic & Knuckles by itself, or select any lock-on option with Sonic 1-3. It was pretty spiffy.

This also has it:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Mega_Collection

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I'm fond of Garfield: Caught in the Act and Ronald's Treasure Land Adventure. And of course, there's Contra Hard Corps and Castlevania Bloodlines, plus TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist, which is basically a remix of Turtles in Time with Tatsu thrown in as an extra boss for his only video game appearance.

Mega Man: The Wily Wars is actually pretty good, but there's a catch: It was never released in North America outside of the SEGA Channel, so you have to either go for the English PAL version (which runs slower ), or the Japanese Rockman Mega World. You don't really NEED the English, though, but it would be nice if the NA version ever came out.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    This showed some interesting games.
    https://youtu.be/vq5eQhCN6Co

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Warsong is one of my all time favorite stategy rpg-ish games. It's a compelling reason to pick up a system that has it.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    You think they'll put any virtual boy games out for labo vr? Besides Pokemon Snap, seems like something they should do.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Warsong is one of my all time favorite stategy rpg-ish games. It's a compelling reason to pick up a system that has it.

By mentioning it in this thread, I did some quick research I discovered that the 4th one on the PS1 actually has a fan translation. I'll have to look into that. The second game in the series also got fan translations for both the Genesis and SNES versions. Alas, no complete translation exists for the third and fifth games.

There is also a mobile game in the series now....but all the ads I see of it make it look like a dating game.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Another one I really liked was Starflight, which was also a PC port. It kind of reminded me of Star Control 2, albeit with less emphasis on battles. It wouldn't surprise me if both of those games influenced the creators of Mass Effect. I think the Genesis version added Star Control-style ship battles, although my memory tells me that you only had one ship.

99% certain Starflight was credited as an inspiration for Mass Effect; Star Control 2 seems plausible too but I don't recall hearing it mentioned.

As for Genesis/MD games, of course, Star Control 1 was still fun. It's basically all battles, but it's good at doing it.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Once you unlock them, which system is more powerful and easier to customize the snes mini or ps mini?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Once you unlock them, which system is more powerful and easier to customize the snes mini or ps mini?

PS Classic is more powerful overall.

Judging from the times I've peeked in on the Sony side of the Discord channel I'm on, I think SNESC is a lot easier at the moment. But I could be wrong; I only have the Nintendo products.

• Options
    It takes maybe 10 mins to download and set-up Bleemsync for the PC Classic. There's a ton of video guides on how to do it, it's super easy. The nice thing is it also includes Retroarch so you can load more than just PS1 stuff on it.

I haven't looked into doing the Snes stuff so it's hard to compare for me. The toughest part of getting it going was flashing it which was a little scary as a layman, but it worked out fine.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    It takes maybe 10 mins to download and set-up Bleemsync for the PC Classic. There's a ton of video guides on how to do it, it's super easy. The nice thing is it also includes Retroarch so you can load more than just PS1 stuff on it.

I haven't looked into doing the Snes stuff so it's hard to compare for me. The toughest part of getting it going was flashing it which was a little scary as a layman, but it worked out fine.

It's about the same for the SNES classic. Download X, sideload X, load your other stuff, upload art with it if you want it. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

SNES came first and all the PS stuff is thanks to the SNES stuff lol. SNES emulated runs games better than stock PS mini. Unlocked I do not know

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

Don't toy with my heart like that ;)

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    You think they'll put any virtual boy games out for labo vr? Besides Pokemon Snap, seems like something they should do.

How often do they do something it seems like they should, though?

Virtual Boy Virtual Console on 3DS? Nope.

Mario Paint on Wii U? Nuh-uh.

Pokémon Snap on either? Get out of here.

Heck, we can't even play the Super Game Boy version of Donkey Kong '94 on 3DS.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    It is funny how Nerdist is kinda dull.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »

How often do they do something it seems like they should, though?

Virtual Boy Virtual Console on 3DS? Nope.

Mario Paint on Wii U? Nuh-uh.

Pokémon Snap on either? Get out of here.

Heck, we can't even play the Super Game Boy version of Donkey Kong '94 on 3DS.

Yeah, VC was always unnecessarily lazy. Any potentially cool thing they COULD do they just did not do. Any GBC game that had GBA content just doesn't have that content available. Which is idiotic, just tell the software GBA = Yes when it asks. (Not a programmer, but I really doubt this is a super complicated solve).

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    That would trigger an "enhanced" GBA palette in some games. Which isn't necessarily what you want in a gameboy VC. Though they could just hack the rom a little or override the palette but, effort.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Demonstrating again why (IMO) the Japanese version was best looking of the three 1st gen versions.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Clicking through that tweet, it looks like they're putting Shining Force, Gunstar Heroes, and Castlevania Bloodlines on there, so that is cool!

SteevL on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is that getting a western release? Cause I'll be getting that for sure.

Oh brilliant