As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Is there a reason the Disney Genesis games never get re released anywhere? I would love to be able to play Lion King or Aladdin again.

Licensing, I assume.

Probably, though I've long found that a curious thing: Publishers release licensed games now, they released them then, so what's really in the way here?

Are the rights holders just asking for so much now that it would negate the profit, even considering that development costs for this release would fall between slim and none?

Then you have stuff like The Disney Afternoon Collection, which just raises further questions.

Incidentally, though, I'd be down with a Genesis equivalent of the Shonen Jump Famicom Classic that's nothing but Genesis Disney games. I wonder if that would be more tenable.

Beyond that, I really hope we might finally get the SEGA Channel version of Mega Man: The Wily Wars released here.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It seems like there are a bunch of hidden gems in Genesis games.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-sega-genesis-games-hidden-gem

I had forgotten. About weaponlord. That game was good.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Is there a reason the Disney Genesis games never get re released anywhere? I would love to be able to play Lion King or Aladdin again.

Licensing, I assume.

Probably, though I've long found that a curious thing: Publishers release licensed games now, they released them then, so what's really in the way here?

Are the rights holders just asking for so much now that it would negate the profit, even considering that development costs for this release would fall between slim and none?

Then you have stuff like The Disney Afternoon Collection, which just raises further questions.

Incidentally, though, I'd be down with a Genesis equivalent of the Shonen Jump Famicom Classic that's nothing but Genesis Disney games. I wonder if that would be more tenable.

Beyond that, I really hope we might finally get the SEGA Channel version of Mega Man: The Wily Wars released here.

You buy a licence for X years. If you wanna re-release them, you have to pay more. And some companies are too cheap to pay more. That's why you can't buy Wolverine Origins anymore. Activision probably only wants to pay for licenses once, and fuck everyone if they didn't buy the game back then.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Wow, Cyborg Justice was on that list. I liked that game as a kid and rented it multiple times, but I don't know if I'd really consider it a gem in hindsight. It was interesting and had a very unique gimmick for a Streets of Rage style brawler, but the actual gameplay and control was clunky and somewhat sluggish. And if you thought other brawlers like Streets of Rage got repetitive, you haven't seen anything until you've played Cyborg Justice, where you've basically seen every enemy iteration by the end of the second stage. Even bosses were just harder versions of the same trash mobs you fight in levels, but with some beams to jump over. The final boss was the only unique fight, and it was more frustrating and lackluster than anything.

forty on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I had forgotten. About weaponlord. That game was good.

I was so hyped for Weaponlord. It was a game that was ahead of its time in regards to mechanics and character interactions. Unfortunately, they used an overly complex control scheme for special moves that completely destroyed the play ability of the game. Had they went with SF or MK-style inputs over holding buttons it would have been a lot more approachable. Didn't help the roster was small, but I was willing to accept that over a deeper fighting engine.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    13897791-1.1024.jpg
    Such a crazy cartridge.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    After waiting over a month, and with basically no tracking updates, I got my Pandora's Box 6 thingy. I've got everything set up I think, but I'm waiting on a power adapter for it. Hopefully I can play it with just a regular xbox controller (they seem to list them as being compatible in the manual).

I'll eventually be putting together a 2 player box with it in there. Just want to see it action right now though.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    13897791-1.1024.jpg
    Such a crazy cartridge.

Also a great one. And a great game.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Wow, Cyborg Justice was on that list. I liked that game as a kid and rented it multiple times, but I don't know if I'd really consider it a gem in hindsight. It was interesting and had a very unique gimmick for a Streets of Rage style brawler, but the actual gameplay and control was clunky and somewhat sluggish. And if you thought other brawlers like Streets of Rage got repetitive, you haven't seen anything until you've played Cyborg Justice, where you've basically seen every enemy iteration by the end of the second stage. Even bosses were just harder versions of the same trash mobs you fight in levels, but with some beams to jump over. The final boss was the only unique fight, and it was more frustrating and lackluster than anything.

I still like it. It definitely is repetitive and the controls are a bit stiff. I was playing it the other day when my Analogue Mega Sg came in, and there's actually a bunch of moves you can do that I never knew about before. The bosses are cheap as fuck too, since they can insta-kill you.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options

Licensing, I assume.

You buy a licence for X years. If you wanna re-release them, you have to pay more. And some companies are too cheap to pay more. That's why you can't buy Wolverine Origins anymore. Activision probably only wants to pay for licenses once, and fuck everyone if they didn't buy the game back then.

"Pay more," as in, pay again, or as in pay a greater sum than the last time?

If the former, then yes, of course. But like I said, there's no development to be done in these old titles, so it seems like it would balance out somewhat as a new release is concerned.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

If someone made a 3D printed version of this, I would very seriously consider getting it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Licensing, I assume.

If the former, then yes, of course. But like I said, there's no development to be done in these old titles, so it seems like it would balance out somewhat as a new release is concerned.

I'd guess the bigger problem is that for older games, it literally didn't occur to any of the parties that the game would be re-released outside of the initial print run, so they'd have to renegotiate an entirely new contract that takes digital and such into account.

And then there's the issue of making it worthwhile. With Disney Afternoon, Disney gets a cut of 100% of the game, which makes it worthwhile. But would it be worthwhile for Disney to relicense, say, Aladdin for the Genesis mini when they're only getting a cut of one fortieth of the profits? Would Sega feel like going to all that legal effort just for one game out of 40?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hey, Sega actually said something about the possibility of a Sega Saturn mini!

"It may be possible in 10 years. By that time the necessary chips should be cheaper."

44uylt8jrd5m.png

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Ah, the ol' PS3 dilemma. I even remember the Saturn as being technically superior to the original PlayStation in some areas of graphical prowess, and worse than others (just like how a lot of PS3 multipaltform games look worse than on Xbox 360, including anything using Unreal engine that's not Mirror's Edge).

I would absolutely buy a JP region Saturn Mini. They'd have to put the first two Sakura Taisen games on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstcW9I7T50

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I just remembered Chuck Rock. I played a ton of that when I was younger too. I'd love for them to add that.

Also Spider-Man vs The Kingpin.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i'd not hold my breath for anything like that though

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I know. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    It was already known that Yuzo Koshiro was doing the menu music for the Sega Genesis mini, but it's cool to see his own words about it:

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Licensing, I assume.

I'd guess the bigger problem is that for older games, it literally didn't occur to any of the parties that the game would be re-released outside of the initial print run, so they'd have to renegotiate an entirely new contract that takes digital and such into account.

And then there's the issue of making it worthwhile. With Disney Afternoon, Disney gets a cut of 100% of the game, which makes it worthwhile. But would it be worthwhile for Disney to relicense, say, Aladdin for the Genesis mini when they're only getting a cut of one fortieth of the profits? Would Sega feel like going to all that legal effort just for one game out of 40?

And that's where my Shonen Jump Famicom-like all-Disney Genesis Mini idea comes in...

But yeah, I'd love a clearer idea of how this actually works, based on the licensed re-releases we've actually seen over the years. I remember TMNT on Wii Virtual Console had an extra dollar tacked on, for example.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Licensing, I assume.

And that's where my Shonen Jump Famicom-like all-Disney Genesis Mini idea comes in...

But yeah, I'd love a clearer idea of how this actually works, based on the licensed re-releases we've actually seen over the years. I remember TMNT on Wii Virtual Console had an extra dollar tacked on, for example.

I'm sure it varies from game to game and license to license. TMNT's a hot property, so I'd imagine they'd fetch more money than, say, Strawberry Shortcake.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Not going into details but the Analogue SG is already jailbroke'd. Can play any cart roms from the SD card, including now game gear and colecovision, and let your Sega CD run games from other regions.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options

Licensing, I assume.

I'm sure it varies from game to game and license to license. TMNT's a hot property, so I'd imagine they'd fetch more money than, say, Strawberry Shortcake.

Anyone posting at PA should remember how vociferously the Strawberry Shortcake IP is defended.

• Options
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Honestly, Nintendo could have left out the cables too and I would have been cool with it. All I needed was the console and the controllers.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A USB cable is easy, but the plug not so much. I think I ended up having to buy one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Most TVs these days have 2 or 3 USB ports. I power it with the TV when I take it upstairs, and the Xbox when it's downstairs.

I didn't need the HDMI cable either.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'm starting to become inundated with micro USB cables and bricks. And the bigger problem I'm running into is that they're all not made equal. Some cables just don't want to charge some devices. And I learned the importance of checking the voltage on a brick when I changed things around and suddenly my tablet was no longer charging.

At this point I kind of just want to buy and use my own, so I *know* everything is good and is interchangeable with everything else. And if it saves on waste and environmental impact and all that jazz, the better.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The interesting thing about the power brick stuff with the NES/SNES Classic is that a hacked system tends to draw a little more power than one that hasn't been hacked. Often, people can't power the system using their TV's USB port. Got an unpowered HDMI switch that relies on the system plugged into it for power? There's a good chance your system will shut off on you in the middle of playing something.

• Options
    Was not aware of that. Mine is hacked, but I haven't had any power issues. Anecdotal, I know.

Still, i would rather these generic parts be sold separately just to help reduce waste.

• Options
    My SNES is hacked too but the USB port on my TV still gives it enough power.

But yet it's not enough to power an Amazon Fire TV stick.

• Options
    My SNES is hacked too but the USB port on my TV still gives it enough power.

But yet it's not enough to power an Amazon Fire TV stick.

USB ports on TVs are unreliable. I've seen some work great until HDR kicks in, then the streaming stick dies. Others don't work at all. Sometimes all on the same model of TV.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    No HDR for me. It's an old-but-still-decent Samsung. I just assume the Fire TV stick draws more power; it's probably just a more demanding piece of hardware despite its diminutive size. But hey, that's what the power brick is for.

Jazz on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I got a copy of Killer Instinct cib. It was in great condition except for a small tear.

It has a music cd and black cartridge. Label was slightly worn.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Anyone out there still need an SNES Classic? Because you can get refurbished ones directly through Nintendo via eBay right now. I haven't seen one in stores in a long time now, although I am still seeing plenty of NES Classics.

• Options
    I guess some SNES Classics got fried.

• Options
    I guess some SNES Classics got fried.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people tried hacking them and softbricked their systems but thought they were unsalavgeable. I'd personally love to have someone just give me what they said was a "broken SNES" in that manner. I'm reasonably confident I could fix it up into working order.

• Options
    I was under the impression that as long as you backed up the kernel before you started messing with it restoring the unit wasn't terribly difficult.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I was under the impression that as long as you backed up the kernel before you started messing with it restoring the unit wasn't terribly difficult.

Depending on the version of hakchi you use and how you use it, you can mess things up, dump a messed up kernel, and then need to get a clean kernel from The Internet.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Never discount people's inability to follow instructions .

• Options
    It still seems like that second version of the Genesis Flashback HD works right.