As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    How can we know you're not my other alt? Has anyone ever seen @Forty and @anoffday post at the same time as me? ::xfilestheme::

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Let's wait to see what @forty says about it. Go ahead @Dirty, I'll wait while you log in.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I agree with they are saying though. Everyone is shitting on the ps mini with its cost and only 20.games. only 20 games that are more than 10X the size of their snes counterparts. And complaints about ps one games in general like all the games on the nes classic are gems.

• Options
    Honestly, I agree with @anoffday, some of @Dirty's opinions just seem intentional inflammatory.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Finally we agree on something.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    none of the 'classic/mini' gizmos are all that great.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    none of the 'classic/mini' gizmos are all that great.

Hey. The mini Mag lights are awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Are we seriously having classic console warz in here? Now that's nostalgia!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think anoffday and Stormwatcher might be the same person.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure you're all my alts and we're not really on a forum but in a motel in the rain or something

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    There is no forum
    It's just Dirty rocking himself in foetal position, under the acid rain falling over the ruins of human cities.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Right, so garbage games like Metroid, Zelda 2, and Balloon Fight get a pass for "historical value", but the shit on the PSmini doesn't tickle our nostalgia boner as much. I totally get it.

Well, those games were popular when they were new (Balloon Fight less so, granted). I don't think the same can be said for several of the PS1 classic games.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    It's not that those are even necessarily bad PS1 games. They're just bad choices of games to represent one of the greatest systems of all time. Like really bad choices.

• Options
    Pretty sure you're all my alts and we're not really on a forum but in a motel in the rain or something
    *Runs over Dark Raven X with a truck*

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    It's not that those are even necessarily bad PS1 games. They're just bad choices of games to represent one of the greatest systems of all time. Like really bad choices.

Oh, for sure. I'm sure Cool Boarders 2 is a fine game. It's just not one that defined the system. Donkey Kong, as disposable as that game is in 2018, did define the system it's on. Literally. The Famicom was designed from the ground up to play Donkey Kong.

And it's fine to have games like that (Kirby's Dream Course is a good example of a good game that isn't console-defining). The problem is that there's so many glaring holes in the PS1 Classic's lineup.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    I just feel like we're more willing to justify crappy, poorly-aged games if they're on a Nintendo product. I don't care about historical significance, or whether or not it defined the system it was on. There are a bunch of games on the NES that just aren't fun. And Castlevania II over Castlevania III? Fuck off.

I will say I think the PS1 list is pretty shitty too. To me, it's MGS, and 19 games that aren't MGS. Everything is disappointing compared to that SNES lineup.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

Oh, for sure. I'm sure Cool Boarders 2 is a fine game. It's just not one that defined the system. Donkey Kong, as disposable as that game is in 2018, did define the system it's on. Literally. The Famicom was designed from the ground up to play Donkey Kong.

And it's fine to have games like that (Kirby's Dream Course is a good example of a good game that isn't console-defining). The problem is that there's so many glaring holes in the PS1 Classic's lineup.

It's pretty sad that they defined the console around a bad port of the game. Doesn't have all the levels on it. And Nintendo keeps porting this bad port to other places like "oh, look at the cool, substandard job we were forced into back in the day. That's worth cash now, right?"

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Right, so garbage games like Metroid, Zelda 2, and Balloon Fight get a pass for "historical value", but the shit on the PSmini doesn't tickle our nostalgia boner as much. I totally get it.

Man, I could play Zelda II and Balloon Fight all day long and start again fresh the next morning.

Anyway, just wondering if I should add the Xmas NEOGEO and PC Classic stuff to the OP. Opinions, anyone?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I just feel like we're more willing to justify crappy, poorly-aged games if they're on a Nintendo product. I don't care about historical significance, or whether or not it defined the system it was on. There are a bunch of games on the NES that just aren't fun. And Castlevania II over Castlevania III? Fuck off.

I will say I think the PS1 list is pretty shitty too. To me, it's MGS, and 19 games that aren't MGS. Everything is disappointing compared to that SNES lineup.

But Dirty, I prefer Castlevania 2 over Castlevania 3!

*All three games should have been on NES classic*

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Considering the current price of flash storage (which means that the cheapest chips are NOT the smallest possible ones), the size of NES/SNES roms and the huge collection of first party Nintendo games, there's not technical/economical reason to limit the collections of those two machines to 20 games. Even if Dirty is mean to me and presumes I'm dumb. They could have shipped their classic systems with 40, 60 titles without spending a cent more.

If you factor in how they did make licensing deals with the third parties for VC on Wii, Wii U and 3DS, they could have added a few hundred more titles for a couple bucks more.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Considering the current price of flash storage (which means that the cheapest chips are NOT the smallest possible ones), the size of NES/SNES roms and the huge collection of first party Nintendo games, there's not technical/economical reason to limit the collections of those two machines to 20 games. Even if Dirty is mean to me and presumes I'm dumb. They could have shipped their classic systems with 40, 60 titles without spending a cent more.

If you factor in how they did make licensing deals with the third parties for VC on Wii, Wii U and 3DS, they could have added a few hundred more titles for a couple hundred bucks more.

Fixed. Those licensing deals can add up.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Not to mention the fact that Nintendo doesn't want to devalue their IP like that. Sure there is no cost in adding more games, but by putting a ton of games in there for essentially pennies, that's like saying the games aren't really worth anything individually. What IP holder wants to send that kind of message?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Man, I could play Zelda II and Balloon Fight all day long and start again fresh the next morning.

Anyway, just wondering if I should add the Xmas NEOGEO and PC Classic stuff to the OP. Opinions, anyone?

I'd say maybe the Xmas NEOGEO, not sure on the PC one since I never did go back to watch the video. Is it a real company or just someone trying to cash in on the craze?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    No one will ever be happy with the selection.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I wouldn't add the PC Classic just yet. It's just an announcement of intent, really. They want to crowdfund the thing.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I know you can fairly make this statement towards any of these devices... but a "PC Classic" is almost literally just a Raspberry Pi. Like moreso than any other. I thought it was a joke/satire on the whole market, not a real thing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Metroid...Zelda 2...Baloon Fight garbage? What in the world is this horrible opinion?

The games are old, but they are still extremely fun and haven't even aged that poorly. The NES classic collection of games had some duds but more fun games than not.

As for the Playstation "Classic," it was just the case of Sony really misjudging or not caring what actual classic games there are for the system. It has a couple great games, but not enough for me to justify it. It really should have been a slam dunk...but no Twisted Metal 2, no Resident Evil 2, no Breath of Fire 3, no Suikoden at all, no Legend of Dragoon, no Vagrant Story, no Tomb Raider/Crash/Spyro, it really could have used all three Final Fantasies. These are games that made the system what it was. I would say no Gran Turismo, but that would have been a licensing nightmare I'm sure. Same for Tony Hawk.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Was the ps1 the first system to make heavy use of licensed music? I know a few SNES games did (my sweet rock and roll racing) but could that be one of the big issues here? Licensing 3rd party is always a pain and several of those studios have been bought, sold, merged, or just straight up vanished. Maybe Sony didn't think the legal costs were worth it. Personally that thing is a sad joke that so completely misses the greatness of the console it seems almost intentional.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    Was the ps1 the first system to make heavy use of licensed music? I know a few SNES games did (my sweet rock and roll racing) but could that be one of the big issues here? Licensing 3rd party is always a pain and several of those studios have been bought, sold, merged, or just straight up vanished. Maybe Sony didn't think the legal costs were worth it. Personally that thing is a sad joke that so completely misses the greatness of the console it seems almost intentional.

Other than Tony Hawk I can't think most of the missing obvious games would run into that problem. Or am I missing something?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    A PS1 Classic for me would almost certainly have Twisted Metal 2, Resident Evil (1 or 2, doesn't really bother me any) Magic Carpet, Abe's Oddysee, Spyro, Crash, Gex (there's some overlap here but the mascot platformer is hugely important in the history of Playstation), Metal Gear Solid, Tomba, Tomb Raider, Ridge Racer, Castlevania SotN, Tekken 3, Parappa the Rapper, Tony Hawk, Final Fantasy 7 or 8, ideally both.

I'm sure I could come up with more if I gave it a bit of thought, but these all define that era of the PlayStation for me, and that's really the sort of feeling I'm looking for, more than games that have aged particularly well, which would almost certainly be more niche titles. I'm happy that there's some overlap with my list and Sony's, but I do wish there was a bit more. If we're lucky their mini machine will have some of the SNES' capacity for tinkering, but I'm not holding out too much hope. This is definitely a "wait and see" product for me.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    I'll just say that I had absolutely no interest in the NES Classic until I heard about Hakchi...

• Options
    Nintendo’s holiday line-up does not include a new retro console, a surprise for fans and media who expected the 2016 NES Classic and 2017 SNES Classic retro consoles to be followed by a 2018 Nintendo 64 Classic. Fils-Aime isn’t one to announce new products on the fly during an interview, but he made it sound like the window for Nintendo doing such a device is closed for now.
    “We were clear when we did the first two Classic series that, for us, these were limited time opportunities that were a way for us as a business to bridge from the conclusion of Wii U as a hardware system to the launch of Nintendo Switch,” he said. “That was the very strategic reason we launched the NES Classic system.” The Wii U had been fading fast by early 2016 and the Switch didn’t launch until early 2017.
    “So while consumers may have been anticipating something, we view these as limited time opportunities. We’ve also now been very clear that as the consumer looks forward to engaging with our classic content that is going to happen more and more with the subscription service.
    “Would you rule out an N64 Classic coming?” I asked.
    “I would not ever rule something out,” he said, “but what I can tell you is certainly that’s not in our planning horizon.”

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672

tl;dr: it sure sounds like we shouldn't expect more Nintendo minis.

• Options
    Not to mention the fact that Nintendo doesn't want to devalue their IP like that. Sure there is no cost in adding more games, but by putting a ton of games in there for essentially pennies, that's like saying the games aren't really worth anything individually. What IP holder wants to send that kind of message?

20 NES/SNES games is super paltry, even with those very weak excuses. Even weaker considering Zelda and Mario are included in the Minis AND the NES app on Switch. The valuable IPs are all there already, they could include 40 more 1st party games without devaluing anything. Seriously, that excuse is almost offensive to the intelligence of everyone here.

And hey, nintendo forked the money to put licensed games on a service like Nintendo Online...

Again I really don't get why you people go to such lengths to defend things that are bad for consumers for no big gain to the corporations. I mean, I actually make a living working for gaming companies, but I always put the player before companies.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Nintendo’s holiday line-up does not include a new retro console, a surprise for fans and media who expected the 2016 NES Classic and 2017 SNES Classic retro consoles to be followed by a 2018 Nintendo 64 Classic. Fils-Aime isn’t one to announce new products on the fly during an interview, but he made it sound like the window for Nintendo doing such a device is closed for now.
    “We were clear when we did the first two Classic series that, for us, these were limited time opportunities that were a way for us as a business to bridge from the conclusion of Wii U as a hardware system to the launch of Nintendo Switch,” he said. “That was the very strategic reason we launched the NES Classic system.” The Wii U had been fading fast by early 2016 and the Switch didn’t launch until early 2017.
    “So while consumers may have been anticipating something, we view these as limited time opportunities. We’ve also now been very clear that as the consumer looks forward to engaging with our classic content that is going to happen more and more with the subscription service.
    “I would not ever rule something out,” he said, “but what I can tell you is certainly that’s not in our planning horizon.”

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672

Called that!

forty on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Everything else about the PS classic was so rushed/low effort compared to Sony's typical quality, that its hard to believe this is the best game list they could've produced. No list will please everyone, licensing is always a pain, and it might always look bad compared to the SNES classic, but there's also no doubt that they could've done better like everything else about the product.

Eh I think you will see them again if/when the Switch starts struggling.

Which is a ways out I'm sure.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I think the n64 classic would have the same problem as the ps classic, IMO. N64 era hasn't aged well at all and any game made then that is worth it has been done in either a sequel or a remake.

I say this as a man who owned like 40 n64 games.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I think the n64 classic would have the same problem as the ps classic, IMO. N64 era hasn't aged well at all and any game made then that is worth it has been done in either a sequel or a remake.

I say this as a man who owned like 40 n64 games.

But it's a case where the good ones are really good, and if you focus on what made the system so great there's a good selection of games. Multiplayer. Mario parry, kart, smash, etc... add in the Mario and zeldas and that's a damn good list.

Hakchi reopened my eyes to old games and me and my GF have been playing old N64, gamecube , and wii Mario kart, party and smash. Having a blast. Maybe the graphics haven't aged well but the game play has in the good games.

• Options

Fine, but please give us a real VC on the switch then.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Again I really don't get why you people go to such lengths to defend things that are bad for consumers for no big gain to the corporations. I mean, I actually make a living working for gaming companies, but I always put the player before companies.

Could be people just like em ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like getting all the titles on VC would cost more than a SNES mini, and you get a little easily hackable machine with a couple of controllers.

There's more I could have hoped for from the machine in a few ways, but in other ways, it's been a way better deal than it had any right to be and I've spent days goofing around with it.

So I dunno man! If you're looking for folks to agree with your negativity towards plug-n-play machines in general, don't be surprised you have a hard time finding them in the plug-n-play machine thread.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm jealous of people who buy all these mini consoles and actually have the extra HDMI ports to plug them in and play them.