As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] is its own thing!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Chanus gchat me I'll be bored at work

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    also this mods sounds intriguing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Borderlands 2 VR is single player only apparently

Man that is a major red flag

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    This Factorio game with bob's and angel's mods is getting pretty ridiculous. I have a dozen ores I need to process to make the various metals I need for more advanced components. The process goes:

mine basic ores
    crush the ores and separate the rocks from the result
    take the crushed ore and "wash" them to make chunks
    take the chunks and separate into more basic ores
    send those dozen different types of ores into their appropriate chests so they're all in one place and not mixed
    smelt those ores into ingots
    melt those ingots into their molten form
    craft that molten metal into plates
    voila, now you can use them to craft things!

There are more complicated versions where you can inject oxygen or sulfuric acid or some other chemical to improve the smelting process

Also, my gas/liquids are of my base is just a huge criss cross of underground pipes and storage containers. It is a huge mess and I am dreading having to organize it later because it is getting unwieldy as I have to make room to produce *looks at list of chemicals* Ethylbenzene. What the heck do I use Ethylbenzene for?

I looked into it. But didnt feel like manually installing mods in my old man laziness. Sounds just like some of the mods in Minecraft that I like.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    This Factorio game with bob's and angel's mods is getting pretty ridiculous. I have a dozen ores I need to process to make the various metals I need for more advanced components. The process goes:

mine basic ores
    send those dozen different types of ores into their appropriate chests so they're all in one place and not mixed

There are more complicated versions where you can inject oxygen or sulfuric acid or some other chemical to improve the smelting process

Also, my gas/liquids are of my base is just a huge criss cross of underground pipes and storage containers. It is a huge mess and I am dreading having to organize it later because it is getting unwieldy as I have to make room to produce *looks at list of chemicals* Ethylbenzene. What the heck do I use Ethylbenzene for?

NMR standard.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Chanus

break it down into easily doable chunks that can be modified:
    1. write a program that you can give it a url via command line and it'll download the HTML and save it to a file for you
    2. add a function that pulls out a specific html element from the file and saves it to its own file
    3. expand the function to find a specific value inside an HTML element, save that to its own file
    4. expand the function to find a collection of values that are in a grid of elements on the page and save it to a CSV file
    5. expand the command line url to read in a collection of page links to do use that function to store the values on all those pages in a single CSV file
    6. maybe change it to store it in a database or dump it right into the program you use it for, maybe an excel spreadsheet

yeah this is a good idea

though really my problem isn't so much i don't know how to conceptualize a plan for how to make it work

it's that i literally don't know how to write a program that i can give a url via command line and it'll download the HTML and save it to a file

i know how to give a program a url and have it save that input to a file but i don't know the middle part because i never learned stuff like that

and the internet is just full of websites that can probably tell me how but i don't know which one(s) to trust

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They kind of missed the point on that Rampage movie. Make it look just like the video game.
    Also, it’s the highest rated video game movie (or one of the highest), and one of the most successful. So...

Just cast The Rock?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

mine basic ores

make polystyrene

Noooooo

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus gchat me I'll be bored at work

if you're around in a bit i can do this

at this exact moment i need to run a couple orders first heh

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

mine basic ores

make polystyrene

I'm making plastic using Propene. Other recipes use Formaldehyde and Phenol or Naptha and Polyethelyne.

I swear this game is designed to trigger me.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

mine basic ores

I looked into it. But didnt feel like manually installing mods in my old man laziness. Sounds just like some of the mods in Minecraft that I like.

I'm 99% sure that you can install mods via the game itself. It has a search feature and tells you what mods are dependent on others and then lets you update them.

Oh damn. I didnt see steam workshop so just gave up in my steam laziness heh. Ill check into that thanks Kamiro.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They kind of missed the point on that Rampage movie. Make it look just like the video game.

That wouldn't appeal to Chinese audiences who never have played the arcade game.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

mine basic ores

I'm 99% sure that you can install mods via the game itself. It has a search feature and tells you what mods are dependent on others and then lets you update them.

Oh damn. I didnt see steam workshop so just gave up in my steam laziness heh. Ill check into that thanks Kamiro.

Yeah, the devs refuse to use Steam Workshop because they want mods to be agnostic of platform and a vocal number of their fans refuse to buy the game on Steam (because FREEDOM or whatever)

They wrote the entire mod interface into the game itself instead.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This feels so weird and meta. I'm writing document template proposals for how to document our apps, rather than.. documenting our apps. Mostly because I want a standard to work from, but still. I'm trying to think what would be the most useful for the team in a world where we don't yet have a good wiki system.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I used to have to clear away a bunch of shit to make room for VR and it was a big hassle. Then I got rid of several poessions and rearranged my apartment to make the living spaces a lot more open and now all it takes to do VR is moving a coffee table.

The new arrangement is immensely better and makes me very happy. I suspect that “making room for VR” is pretty much the same thing as just making your home more livable in general.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »

mine basic ores

make polystyrene

I'm making plastic using Propene. Other recipes use Formaldehyde and Phenol or Naptha and Polyethelyne.

like in a good way or

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    oh snap

new feature with the google phone app where it'll have the robot lady screen your calls for you (like she's all "hey who are you and what do you want" and it records their response and even will reply back telling them to fuck off

a++

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus

break it down into easily doable chunks that can be modified:
    1. write a program that you can give it a url via command line and it'll download the HTML and save it to a file for you
    2. add a function that pulls out a specific html element from the file and saves it to its own file
    3. expand the function to find a specific value inside an HTML element, save that to its own file
    4. expand the function to find a collection of values that are in a grid of elements on the page and save it to a CSV file
    5. expand the command line url to read in a collection of page links to do use that function to store the values on all those pages in a single CSV file
    6. maybe change it to store it in a database or dump it right into the program you use it for, maybe an excel spreadsheet

yeah this is a good idea

though really my problem isn't so much i don't know how to conceptualize a plan for how to make it work

it's that i literally don't know how to write a program that i can give a url via command line and it'll download the HTML and save it to a file

i know how to give a program a url and have it save that input to a file but i don't know the middle part because i never learned stuff like that

and the internet is just full of websites that can probably tell me how but i don't know which one(s) to trust

Don't worry about the trust so much as wording your google search "python download html to file" would probably work for the first part. Very few code examples are outright malicious.

Stackoverflow is a good one to trust.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    oh snap

new feature with the google phone app where it'll have the robot lady screen your calls for you (like she's all "hey who are you and what do you want" and it records their response and even will reply back telling them to fuck off

a++

I'll only buy it if the robot lady can interrupt them halfway saying "I don't care, fuck off"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    oh snap

a++

where can I get this feature

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    oh snap

a++

where can I get this feature

I dunno I'm watching the google thing with the sound off cause I'm stuck on a conference call

I assume it'll just hit your phone eventually if you've got a pixel

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    @Chanus

https://docs.python.org/2/howto/urllib2.html

No like forreal, the first example does the whole retrieval thing. It's built in too so you don't have to futz with libraries. Their first example is here.
    import urllib2
    response = urllib2.urlopen('http://python.org/')
    html = response.read()
    # html is now the text response, you can print it to console or whatever

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    oh snap

a++

The AI vs AI war begins

• Options
    oh snap

a++

In a world of small insignificant "innovations" this is a real one and one im excited about.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    we're never getting out reaction icons back are we.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    A single player only version of borderlands 2? Yup sure sounds like modern gearbox thinking

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Haptic Resistance Suits means the world is coming one tiny step closer to being like one of my LitRPG books! Now we just need to invent way better AI, for the VR experience to be able to basically send sense messages directly to my brain so it's like I'm really there, and for all of this amazing technology to be reasonably affordable to the common joe. Oh, for verisimilitude it's not necessary but a fairly high priority for the world to be a vaguely dystopian situation where automation has grown rapidly but neither society or the economy has changed to adapt to this fact so people need to grind video games for views or shit to sell just to afford the basic necessities.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/17955274/google-pixel-3-spam-calls-assistant-screen-filter

Looks like the feature will be exclusive to the Pixel 3 to start.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    we're never getting out reaction icons back are we.

eh they're a pretty core feature of vanilla

it'll get patched eventually

• Options
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/17955274/google-pixel-3-spam-calls-assistant-screen-filter

hopefully I can white list numbers

this is going to change everything

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Now if only we could get people who suggested other people preform violent acts removed from twitter.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

yeah, that's the thing where you're not in less pain but you start learning to live with it...

the shitty, but still preferable, option :(

babysteps though

I've read those other articles with PTSD and all that too

Hopefully we keep kicking VR forward, I'm still waiting for gen2 of this stuff. Gen1 was kind of meh and Gen1.5 is still kind of meh.

I like Vive's headset but I want the Oculus' controllers.

Vive "knuckles" controller will be a step forward from Oculus

Also wireless vive is here and apparently great! I'm resetting my rig up this week to work with the new 1080...

I want to control VR through a combination of verbal and somatic inputs. Maybe even some consumables.

Also, isn't the wireless vive $800+? I'd much rather take the Oculus Quest.

Another $200 if you have the wired one already..

I guess maybe my coworker was looking at their fancier set, maybe? All I know is that I want 6 dof, totally and completely wireless. Not least because my PSU is probably in the process of failing.

@Brody The vive (or vive pro) + the next-gen headmount with included earphones + wireless adapter is how you get this, and it will require you have the PC rig already. Altogether it's a lot of cash but if you already have a modern gaming rig you're halfway there.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xn28P9erB0

Bidoof.

Bidoof.

Bidoof is on fire.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options

hopefully I can white list numbers

this is going to change everything

It looks like it is on demand. So will be a button while the call is incoming.

• Options
    I guess this is going to solidly solidify google's stuff as the smart home thing I'll buy.

Fuck I'll never have to talk to people on the phone again, this is A+ technology.

• Options
    I guess this is going to solidly solidify google's stuff as the smart home thing I'll buy.

Fuck I'll never have to talk to people on the phone again, this is A+ technology.

yeah I mean I already don't answer the phone anyway

but to make would be callers talk to my ROBOT SERVANT

now this is the future liberals want

• Options
    slight downside is that my grandmother called me today with an unknown call and if there was an automated thing telling her to fuck off that'd be not nice

so in that respect, googling someone's number while they are calling me works fine

but like when it's just a regular waste of space like a telemarketer calling, then I want them to be told to fuck off

but automatically, because I won't

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »

mine basic ores

make polystyrene

I'm learning all sorts of chemistry! Now I'm off to make Phenol gas using Oxygen and Benzene gas using a catalyst made out of tungsten and nickel.

See that's kind of plausible!

But in other cases you're using correct words but in, like, slightly wrong ways and contexts that would take longer to explain than is worth the effort.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The man, he screams like a sea lion

AAAAAAAaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaa

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.