Options

[Chat] is its own thing!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ugh, Borderlands 2 VR sounds like the opposite of everything I want. A game I’ve already played, with not a good story, long sessions, not designed for VR, requires free movement.

Companies, please please please stop porting your old hits to VR they play terribly and I do not want them.

seriously, people don't get that you can't play 6 hours of VR. You just can't.

Well, shit, I can't at least. We're slowly approaching the point where haptic resistance suits mean you have to go to the gym in order to equip plate armor...

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Well that was awkward but I had to know

Turns out he did

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    oh also i guess i should point out the progressive muscle relaxation was suggested by my therapist as an alternative to drugs and ymmv and talk to your doctor etc

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Ugh, Borderlands 2 VR sounds like the opposite of everything I want. A game I’ve already played, with not a good story, long sessions, not designed for VR, requires free movement.

Companies, please please please stop porting your old hits to VR they play terribly and I do not want them.

Well, shit, I can't at least. We're slowly approaching the point where haptic resistance suits mean you have to go to the gym in order to equip plate armor...

Who needs a gym when you can just run your haptic resistance training VR game?

For real though, I imagine those suits will be adjustable for people not quite as strong as others or that have disabilities.

I also can imagine a situation where VR is used to treat a variety of diseases like phantom limb and other nerve-like damaged ones (they've used it for fibro specifically IIRC).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I mean this is like, my entire goal of buying more VR gear. My life goal is for video gaming to be physically exhausting.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    mtga needs a way to play multiple games at the same time to justify letting people take five minutes to decide which two lands to untap

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

I mean this is like, my entire goal of buying more VR gear. My life goal is for video gaming to be physically exhausting.

BEAT SABER

• Options
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    also, secondarily, since I hear that same sentiment, died as soon as something punctured the skin, all the time here

are y'all just taking antibiotics by the bucketload every time you've got a cut?

are you the people breeding the superdisease that will kill us all?
    Yeah but these days we use stainless steel to reduce corrosion. We wash our wounds and use bandages to keep bacteria and foreign materials out of our injuries. We take for granted soap and water. And that we used to kill a substantial amount of women by doctors not washing their hands before starting delivery.

the middle ages is before doctors really did anything and I guess that kind of meant you were safer

they had soap and water, and bandages

I'm just saying most cuts are fixed just fine by doing nothing at all to them and you don't need modern medicine for it

or washing them, for that matter. Blood does the job of both washing and protecting, so let it do that.
    So things get fuzzy with doctors and involvement in birth. Greek and Roman it was all about midwives same with Europe through the dark ages, Islamic medicine on the other hand was light years ahead at the time and while midwives were used doctors were there for any complications.

I can’t find much information about Chinese medicine and childbirth in that era.

So I guess what I’m saying is I got stuck in a google hole for the last hour.

if a time wizard strands you in the middle ages I still think it's a very good rule of thumb to have to chase away any and all doctors

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    my money is on, nothing is wrong, just stop taking them

or maybe she does indeed have chronic, but pretty mild, pain every day, but I kind of doubt it. I mean we're not talking codeine pills here, we're talking weak painkillers.

Yeah, I've tried a lot of tactics including "did you know paracetamol is the primary reason for liver transplants in a lot of countries" but it hasn't worked so far.

I'm sure it'll work out fine at some point.

Just make sure you tank your liver first, so then she has to give you a transplant, and then when hers fails you can say "no takesies backsies."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

For real though, I imagine those suits will be adjustable for people not quite as strong as others or that have disabilities.

I also can imagine a situation where VR is used to treat a variety of diseases like phantom limb and other nerve-like damaged ones (they've used it for fibro specifically IIRC).

I went to a great talk at SXSW on the medical application for VR - there are some clinics in California that are way farther along with this than you'd think. Specifically for treating PTSD, managing phantom limb and helping people recover from physical trauma, and treating crippling phobias, VR is amazing.

Probably the FM application is one in which it's easier to ignore the lies your muscles are telling you, which can be good and bad, because you can easily overdo and fuck yourself into 3 days of bed rest.

• Options

yeah, that's the thing where you're not in less pain but you start learning to live with it...

the shitty, but still preferable, option :(

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I should probably make an MTGA standard deck

but which one

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

I went to a great talk at SXSW on the medical application for VR - there are some clinics in California that are way farther along with this than you'd think. Specifically for treating PTSD, managing phantom limb and helping people recover from physical trauma, and treating crippling phobias, VR is amazing.

Probably the FM application is one in which it's easier to ignore the lies your muscles are telling you, which can be good and bad, because you can easily overdo and fuck yourself into 3 days of bed rest.

I read a short article the other day that talked about how VR let people push themselves further at the gym because the simulation they were enjoying helped them "push through the pain"

And I thought that maybe that's not something we actually want to do as a general exercise principle :P

But I do agree that VR has a great deal of beneficial medical applications as well!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I'm ready for our dystopian future

VR soldier training simulators

That Battlefield clone looks damn good

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

yeah, that's the thing where you're not in less pain but you start learning to live with it...

babysteps though

I've read those other articles with PTSD and all that too

Hopefully we keep kicking VR forward, I'm still waiting for gen2 of this stuff. Gen1 was kind of meh and Gen1.5 is still kind of meh.

I like Vive's headset but I want the Oculus' controllers.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    This seems like a bad place to put your house

Maybe they have some well engineered anti-erosion in place... Maybe a retaining wall we can't see. perhaps that shack contains a 5 hp submersible pump.

...Maybe a drunk Nord just said fuck it I'm building a house here. I like fishing.

I'm like 90% certain that that's a mill

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

babysteps though

Hopefully we keep kicking VR forward, I'm still waiting for gen2 of this stuff. Gen1 was kind of meh and Gen1.5 is still kind of meh.

Vive "knuckles" controller will be a step forward from Oculus

Also wireless vive is here and apparently great! I'm resetting my rig up this week to work with the new 1080...

• Options

babysteps though

Valve is making the "Knuckles" controllers which look pretty damn good.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    boss: hey this car's parts also fit the convertible model

me: yeah, it's like 100% overlap so i figured a separate listing would just be redundant

boss: oh not a separate listing, just a second line for the convertible

me: that's literally a separate listing

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »

me: yeah, it's like 100% overlap so i figured a separate listing would just be redundant

You don't make boss by understanding details Chanus, you make boss by walking purposely in directions at high pace.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    vive with knuckles controller? Sign me the fuck up boys

• Options
    c5bb739b-cf1b-43d6-b048-dddc4f32b106.jpg?aki_policy=xx_large

I'm still going to bet there was a mill there once

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Purposefully? Porpoisely?

• Options
    i don't see how VR gets practical until you get like full body harnesses that suspend you in air and afford you the illusion of moving around instead of having to actually dedicate a giant space to move around in

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

You don't make boss by understanding details Chanus, you make boss by walking purposely in directions at high pace.

he definitely does that all day long

• Options
    That 50cm cog wheel could've come from a mill probably.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I am now in Las Vegas

Next stop Raleigh Durham

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    I am now in Las Vegas

Next stop Raleigh Durham

raleigh durham is far cooler imo not even joking

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Turns out he did

Are we all just gonna leave it at that?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    i don't see how VR gets practical until you get like full body harnesses that suspend you in air and afford you the illusion of moving around instead of having to actually dedicate a giant space to move around in

I mean Bulgarian girl and I have agreed that when we get a house there's just going to be a VR room. Like this is now a thing that will exist.

It also turns out we really like keeping a large area of the apartment clear by necessity, because it stops us feeling like we're failing as adults and have junk everywhere.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Ilpala wrote: »

Turns out he did

Are we all just gonna leave it at that?

lots of jobs can potentially get you shot, I understand

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    ...because it stops us feeling like we're failing as adults and have junk everywhere.

Will these microaggressions ever stop?

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I am now in Las Vegas

Next stop Raleigh Durham

raleigh durham is far cooler imo not even joking

Nice I've never been

I got off the plane in Vegas and I'm thinking to myself in a joking way "bet there's slot machines 🙄"

*gets into gate area*

"Oh"

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    ...because it stops us feeling like we're failing as adults and have junk everywhere.

Will these microaggressions ever stop?

Take solace the only way we motivated ourselves to do this was so we could play video games.

• Options

My house has a giant like 500 sq ft den. VR room it is.

This discussion has been closed.