Options

[Chat] is its own thing!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the fact that i understand about 20% of any given sentence said in response to me means maybe i should learn more first heh

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    "Sir Landshark" nooooo
    Fix your computer so you can play League!

I signed up for a tournament where there will be some in person play and I had to say I had a laptop capable of running LoL and I am not totally sure that’s true; should be interesting.

I tried! I've given up. The computer works fine for everything else, it's just League (and maybe gaming in general, idk).

Reformat and try again

I've given up!

Sell your kids and buy a new computer

cred's got their priorities straight

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    did someone say crawler?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You can absolutely scrape from websites.

You may not 100% be able to automate it with auto-login and all that.

And they may change their website layout every now and then to make scraping difficult or even unintentionally break it by adding some new stuff.

I imagine you'd script it to go to the page, find the fields that are username and password, set those fields to the appropriate values, submit the page, find the fields that do the catalog search, put in the values, submit the page, scrape the page for results.

Yup you can do that.

It can be a PITA depending on the libraries available to you but I think Python has some pretty solid REST/Form Submission stuff.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

yeah, that's the thing where you're not in less pain but you start learning to live with it...

the shitty, but still preferable, option :(

babysteps though

I've read those other articles with PTSD and all that too

Hopefully we keep kicking VR forward, I'm still waiting for gen2 of this stuff. Gen1 was kind of meh and Gen1.5 is still kind of meh.

I like Vive's headset but I want the Oculus' controllers.

Vive "knuckles" controller will be a step forward from Oculus

Also wireless vive is here and apparently great! I'm resetting my rig up this week to work with the new 1080...

I want to control VR through a combination of verbal and somatic inputs. Maybe even some consumables.

Also, isn't the wireless vive $800+? I'd much rather take the Oculus Quest.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    honestly if i have to actually search the catalog for every year/make/model i'm looking for this won't be any faster than doing it manually

i was hoping there was some look at the details pane and see where it's pulling the catalog from and then get the data from that directly or something

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Apparently, always use your checkbook at the DMV. They charge a fee if you use your debit card. Rip-off.

use my what

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Well that was awkward but I had to know

Turns out he did

Are we all just gonna leave it at that?

His unit does some on-site visits, they've been in some bad areas

I was super confused, and probably shouldn't have googled plate carrier at work, but I totally imagined a plastic luggage style container for protecting china during transportation.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Well that was awkward but I had to know

Turns out he did

Are we all just gonna leave it at that?

His unit does some on-site visits, they've been in some bad areas

I was super confused, and probably shouldn't have googled plate carrier at work, but I totally imagined a plastic luggage style container for protecting china during transportation.

I was thinking of one of those tray rack things you see in cafeterias, yeah.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I really enjoy when people who barely work tell me we'll be ok in my department. Thanks shit workers I know I've got your peter gibbons ass over there doing less than the bare min.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So my brand new SSD disappeared while I was using my computer last night. I'm starting to think it might be a SATA cable issue or a PSU issue.

I replaced what I thought was a failing HHD with the SSD and am using the same cables/ports for all of it.

My PSU is a somewhat old Corsiar 850...so I don't think I'm over powering it unless its getting weaker in its old age? Or I'm underestimating draw?

Thoughts?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    honestly if i have to actually search the catalog for every year/make/model i'm looking for this won't be any faster than doing it manually

i was hoping there was some look at the details pane and see where it's pulling the catalog from and then get the data from that directly or something

What you need is a nightly job that runs and outputs everything into an excel file that you can just look at whenever you need the info. Unless the data could change from say 10AM to 11AM. Then you just run it when you need it, though it may take a while to populate everything you need.

If you need to add additional search criteria (maybe a new year/make/model comes in), just have a separate file that you update with those search criteria.

hmm i will have to think on things

i think my main roadblock right now is i've never gone beyond like a second semester programming course, so i don't know really how to do anything other than console apps and create some methods and call from those methods

like two semesters of a programming language really doesn't teach you how to do much if you never apply it to anything

so i don't even know where to start learning how to do anything remotely useful

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

What you need is a nightly job that runs and outputs everything into an excel file that you can just look at whenever you need the info. Unless the data could change from say 10AM to 11AM. Then you just run it when you need it, though it may take a while to populate everything you need.

If you need to add additional search criteria (maybe a new year/make/model comes in), just have a separate file that you update with those search criteria.

This sounds like something I would just make an undergrad do

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So my brand new SSD disappeared while I was using my computer last night. I'm starting to think it might be a SATA cable issue or a PSU issue.

I replaced what I thought was a failing HHD with the SSD and am using the same cables/ports for all of it.

My PSU is a somewhat old Corsiar 850...so I don't think I'm over powering it unless its getting weaker in its old age? Or I'm underestimating draw?

Thoughts?

SSD not backwards compatible with your setup?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Big games are the BEST.

I'm over 100 hours into DQXI and am just now at the end of the second of three acts.

Game is gigantic.

And next up I'm going right into Odyssey (hopefully with a patched in option to turn off level scaling) and I am so excited!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I have a degree and I don't know how to actually do anything useful either

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

i think my main roadblock right now is i've never gone beyond like a second semester programming course, so i don't know really how to do anything other than console apps and create some methods and call from those methods

like two semesters of a programming language really doesn't teach you how to do much if you never apply it to anything

1. Do a thing
    2. Print the result somehow
    3. Debug

You get better tools for doing 2 and 3 over time. But usually its just a lot of attempts and searches on Google to use new libraries or whatever.

Tumin on
  • Options
    alternately try different cables/ports

maybe your original hard drive wasn't the problem

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I keep thinking of this bash quote whenever somebody says they lost something, in a computer context

YOk76mR.png

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Tumin wrote: »
    Tumin wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i'm thinking of spending $5 on MTGA
    PI22tQD.gif

Don't. You'll start having thoughts like "oh working and spending money is so much more time efficient than playing" and "oh its just a cup of coffee and I enjoy it for an hour".

What's wrong with the latter

<Insert slippery slope fallacy here>

I

1. Do a thing
    2. Print the result somehow
    3. Debug

You get better tools for doing 2 and 3 over time. But usually its just a lot of attempts and searches on Google to use new libraries or whatever.

1 is my problem

i don't know how to do anything useful

i can make a mad libs console app like a champ

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Write a program that does an HTTP get and dumps the resulting text to console. Use Python and urllib.

Then try dumping it to a file.

• Options
    alternately try different cables/ports

maybe your original hard drive wasn't the problem

yeah I ordered a bunch of SATA cables hoping it's a $6 fix and not a $100 fix

I like to ART
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

yeah, that's the thing where you're not in less pain but you start learning to live with it...

babysteps though

Hopefully we keep kicking VR forward, I'm still waiting for gen2 of this stuff. Gen1 was kind of meh and Gen1.5 is still kind of meh.

Also wireless vive is here and apparently great! I'm resetting my rig up this week to work with the new 1080...

I want to control VR through a combination of verbal and somatic inputs. Maybe even some consumables.

Another $200 if you have the wired one already..

• Options

HTML scraping is rarely anything but console based.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I really enjoy when people who barely work tell me we'll be ok in my department. Thanks shit workers I know I've got your peter gibbons ass over there doing less than the bare min.

you're welcome for my minimal effort, chief

• Options
    So I wonder what IP gearbox took from to put out Borderlands 2 vr?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

HTML scraping is rarely anything but console based.

i suppose that makes sense

so in this case that i don't know how to do anything useful doesn't entirely apply heh

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Thoughts?

SSDs are more efficient than platter drives from what ive read. So perhaps cabling or need to update firmware on mobo.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Chanus is the undergrad

Oh. Well then just do it really slowly and badly until whoever is in charge gets frustrated and does it themselves.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I've been doing really well not spending money this month so far. Looks like I'm barely $200 over my mandatory expenses and $50 of that was one night I went downtown to hang out with a new friend.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher your comments are deeply hurtful to shit gibbons everywhere

• Options

Chanus is the undergrad

Oh. Well then just do it really slowly and badly until whoever is in charge gets frustrated and does it themselves.

i'm also in charge though

shit

• Options
    I like to ART
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I wonder what kind of data analytics the prices right uses.

• Options

babysteps though

Another $200 if you have the wired one already..

I guess maybe my coworker was looking at their fancier set, maybe? All I know is that I want 6 dof, totally and completely wireless. Not least because my PSU is probably in the process of failing.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They kind of missed the point on that Rampage movie. Make it look just like the video game.

• Options
    @Chanus

break it down into easily doable chunks that can be modified:
    1. write a program that you can give it a url via command line and it'll download the HTML and save it to a file for you
    2. add a function that pulls out a specific html element from the file and saves it to its own file
    3. expand the function to find a specific value inside an HTML element, save that to its own file
    4. expand the function to find a collection of values that are in a grid of elements on the page and save it to a CSV file
    5. expand the command line url to read in a collection of page links to do use that function to store the values on all those pages in a single CSV file
    6. maybe change it to store it in a database or dump it right into the program you use it for, maybe an excel spreadsheet

• Options
    Preacher your comments are deeply hurtful to shit gibbons everywhere

Good, if words could kill I'D SHOUT MORE OFTEN!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    This Factorio game with bob's and angel's mods is getting pretty ridiculous. I have a dozen ores I need to process to make the various metals I need for more advanced components. The process goes:

mine basic ores
    crush the ores and separate the rocks from the result
    take the crushed ore and "wash" them to make chunks
    take the chunks and separate into more basic ores
    send those dozen different types of ores into their appropriate chests so they're all in one place and not mixed
    smelt those ores into ingots
    melt those ingots into their molten form
    craft that molten metal into plates
    voila, now you can use them to craft things!

There are more complicated versions where you can inject oxygen or sulfuric acid or some other chemical to improve the smelting process

Also, my gas/liquids are of my base is just a huge criss cross of underground pipes and storage containers. It is a huge mess and I am dreading having to organize it later because it is getting unwieldy as I have to make room to produce *looks at list of chemicals* Ethylbenzene. What the heck do I use Ethylbenzene for?

make polystyrene

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.