As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tom Paris Sucks [chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Two Harry Kims? Still better than one Tom Paris
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Feral would you like me to ruin the "change my mind" meme?

The only good and pure meme was Bongo Cat, and that was already ruined in a matter of hours.

what

no it's not ruined

the cat is a fictional character, it can't be like "hey did you know bongo cat is actually a right-wing shithead 'comedian'?"

I already know that Crowder is a fascist wingnut

Still a funny meme

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

The only good and pure meme was Bongo Cat, and that was already ruined in a matter of hours.

what

no it's not ruined

the cat is a fictional character, it can't be like "hey did you know bongo cat is actually a right-wing shithead 'comedian'?"
    One can argue that I ruined it by making it my avatar. :D

Yes.

One could.

10YvnOZ.png

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Tuvix is Better
    it would be like how if ben shapiro used bongocat it would ever be irrevocably tied to Hobbits

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The metric System
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, don't buy Windows from Amazon I found out.

Just after it shipped I noticed that it is a pirate key that is being sold. I immediately did a return, but I have to wait to get it, and then send it back.

Anyway, so now I'm still needing to source a copy of Windows 10.

EDIT: I say don't buy Windows from Amazon because I went looking for a legitimate copy of Windows via Amazon.ca after I did the return. And I can't find any. They are all pirated.

Yeah. I know Amazon want to be as big as possible, but the amount of pirated/counterfeit/bootleg stuff on there these days is pretty bonkers. They've really got to start cracking down a bit.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    damn, calling someone short. scathing

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tuvix is Better
    r1pbecpfth7u.jpg
    DM6Dl84VQAEVze1.jpg

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The metric System

Just after it shipped I noticed that it is a pirate key that is being sold. I immediately did a return, but I have to wait to get it, and then send it back.

EDIT: I say don't buy Windows from Amazon because I went looking for a legitimate copy of Windows via Amazon.ca after I did the return. And I can't find any. They are all pirated.

Yeah. I know Amazon want to be as big as possible, but the amount of pirated/counterfeit/bootleg stuff on there these days is pretty bonkers. They've really got to start cracking down a bit.

But spending time cracking down on that might mean less profits for Bezos and would potentially get in the way of then eliminating the US labor force.

Can't have that.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Tuvix is Better
    Also I remember Tom Paris said that the ship’s replicated soup was terrible (to justify the introduction of a cook character) (even tho up to that point everyone in the Star Trek universe seemed to like replicated food fine Jesus Tom stop being a hipster)

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    You guys remember way more about voyager than you should given how you all seem to think it sucked.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Tuvix is Better
    P10 wrote: »
    damn, calling someone short. scathing

it's ok, I'm punching right, and technically not hitting anything

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

You can download the installer, copy to USB, then activate it from Microsoft directly after it's installed and running. You don't need to buy a copy from anybody!

Doesn't activation require a key?

Direct from Microsoft, they want $190 CDN for Home.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    You guys remember way more about voyager than you should given how you all seem to think it sucked.

You remember bad things more than good things. Think of the last time you had something bad happen to you, versus your last happy memory, which one has a more vivid recall?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Tom Paris was cute

Voyager-aged MrMr dissents from this chat

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I dont think Voyager sucked really. Ive seen worse on TV. And it had some very good episodes.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    What the shit?

o2g0ejsny4ap.jpeg

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah I like DS9 too.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Tuvix is Better
    Preacher wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »

You remember bad things more than good things. Think of the last time you had something bad happen to you, versus your last happy memory, which one has a more vivid recall?

I hear some people don't do this.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I basically can’t remember Voyager although I watched all of it as a kid with my parents (possibly dubbed into Italian; not sure) and it’s the only Star Trek I’ve seen. I am pretty sure I liked Harry Kim (no idea why) but pretty sure my favorite was Seven of Nine (...not just a visual thing; her character concept is fantastic).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Tuvix is Better
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I dont think Voyager sucked really. Ive seen worse on TV. And it had some very good episodes.

A third of the recurring characters fail the RLM good character test.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Yeah I like DS9 too.
    It was the best Star Trek

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Paris more like Paris Texas
    No. You all clearly didn't watch the show. Harry Kim is worse than Neelix.

Allllmmmoooooosssst worse than Kes.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The metric System
    emnmnme wrote: »

A third of the recurring characters fail the RLM good character test.

100% of emnmnmes fail the “instead of explaining a concept, you post a YouTube” test. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Tuvix is Better
    *lights a match*

Seven of Nine was the worst and the equivalent of introducing a grim dark edgelord in 90's comic books

*throws it on the pile of money*

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

what

no it's not ruined

there are different kinds of ruination for memes i guess

personally, "overexposure" is not one that bothers me much

"person in the meme is actually shitty" does though

I thought the meme guy being shitty was the entire point. Like the original photo said “Male Privilege is a Myth” so claiming outlandish or indefensible things on the sign became the joke.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Let’s see, Harry Kim was cute and played clarinet(?) and once he was caught in a WW2 holodeck and people were racist towards him

Paris was not cute but was married to Belana and once ummm became a lizard and had babies with Janeway? That’s about all I recall of either.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    *lights a match*

Seven of Nine was the worst and the equivalent of introducing a grim dark edgelord in 90's comic books

*throws it on the pile of money*

Whoa whoa whoa whoa

Seven of Nine was hot af with the fetching cyborg implant and all, and her journey to become slightly less of a robot sociopath was extremely compelling

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Was under the impression Michael wouldn’t hit DC until tomorrow, guess it’s tonight, judging by Virginia freaking the fuck out.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

what

no it's not ruined

I thought the meme guy being shitty was the entire point. Like the original photo said “Male Privilege is a Myth” so claiming outlandish or indefensible things on the sign became the joke.

Maybe this is a sort of...community difference? On Imgur, which is where I read most of my memes, it's usually more of a....hmm, like "that's a weird way to put it, but you have a point" kind of thing?

Like someone might fill it in with one of those "____ is actually a sandwich" kind of things.

So like, outlandish, but defensible I guess.

Or maybe I've been reading them wrong this whole time, I dunno.

I just know I lost my taste for the tongue-in-cheek-ness of it when Youtube threw his "There are only two genders: Change My Mind" video into my recs that one time and I looked up who he was.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    If you still enjoy the meme though, by all means. I don't actually want to ruin things for people.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Tuvix is Better
    The best Voyager character was Reginald Barclay

you know

the actual hero of the story

• Options
    Tuvix is Better
    The best part about the latter part of that statement is that it's technically not wrong, the best kind of not wrong

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Tuvix is Better
    I had serious feminist objections to Seven of Nine’s cheesecakey outfit that certainly weren’t rooted in jealousy that they never introduced any male cheesecake characters who had to wear revealing clothing for reasons

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Tom Paris was cute

Voyager-aged MrMr dissents from this chat

Nick Locarno tho

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    I basically can’t remember Voyager although I watched all of it as a kid with my parents (possibly dubbed into Italian; not sure) and it’s the only Star Trek I’ve seen. I am pretty sure I liked Harry Kim (no idea why) but pretty sure my favorite was Seven of Nine (...not just a visual thing; her character concept is fantastic).

I am pretty sure that TV is where 90% of queer people go ".... wait. wait. Oh damn."

And then another 5% is Querry who watches random shit because the girls are hot and doesn't think about that fact too much.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Tuvix is Better
    wandering wrote: »
    I had serious feminist objections to Seven of Nine’s cheesecakey outfit that certainly weren’t rooted in jealousy that they never introduced any male cheesecake characters who had to wear revealing clothing for reasons

??

A skintight onesie with no cleavage? How was her outfit worse than, say, Troi's?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have learned over the last few days that SSRIs:

1. Usually take a couple weeks to have noticeable effect
    2. But hooboy will that nausea start right away

So now I guess I'll spend the next week or so depressed and wanting to throw up

• Options
    Tuvix is Better
    it would actually make more sense for her character to want to be completely naked as the borg have no need of clothing

boom just galaxy brained you

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »

I am pretty sure that TV is where 90% of queer people go ".... wait. wait. Oh damn."

And then another 5% is Querry who watches random shit because the girls are hot and doesn't think about that fact too much.
    Yeah no I was like ‘so what if actresses are hot; our society objectifies women so I course I think they’re hot; that’s just normal and definitely doesn’t make me gay or anything ok...’

• Options
    Tuvix is Better
    you, a neophyte: 7 of 9 is cheesecake

me, a literal font of knowledge: Actually the writers sacrificed story to appease your puritanical views on the human form

• Options

what

no it's not ruined

Maybe this is a sort of...community difference? On Imgur, which is where I read most of my memes, it's usually more of a....hmm, like "that's a weird way to put it, but you have a point" kind of thing?

Like someone might fill it in with one of those "____ is actually a sandwich" kind of things.

So like, outlandish, but defensible I guess.

Or maybe I've been reading them wrong this whole time, I dunno.

I just know I lost my taste for the tongue-in-cheek-ness of it when Youtube threw his "There are only two genders: Change My Mind" video into my recs that one time and I looked up who he was.

That's why memes are fun, because they eventually gain independence from their source material

Tim Buckley is a pedophilic douchebag but loss memes are avant garde jokes about the nature of memes; nobody cares that Grumpycat isn't actually grumpy; I think only some people who repost FALGSC memes want to send all heterosexuals to gulag.

If you have a visceral instinctive reaction to Crowder's face in that meme then I apologize

I hate memes of the current oval office occupant because I can't even look upon his face, so I totally get that

I dislike LAMP because I dislike moths so I wouldn't make you look at a spider meme, etc

This discussion has been closed.