As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was gonna say that Turnbull comes off as a little naive about internal Lib party politics, given how long he's been around, but actually I think he was just arrogant - he thought he could bend the system around him and didn't realise if he got out of line he'd get shitcanned just like anyone else.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Imagine a world where Turnbull had the stones to say these things while in power

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Imagine a world where labor weren't a bunch of ineffectual bumblers scrambling after the centrist vote.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I mean. Didn't he at the election?
    I remember him being pretty pissed before the election.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    back to south east of aus in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to decide how much luggage space to give over to P2 filters. As you do.

Canberra airport is currently sheltering in place due to fire:
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2020/jan/23/nsw-fires-live-updates-victoria-bushfires-south-australia-fire-sa-australian-bushfire-near-me-cfa-rfs-latest-news-today-thursday

• Options
    yeah I've been tracking that one, mostly cause I have friends in the threatened areas (be surprised if it was still affecting the airport in a week, though you never know)

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    When it hails it burns.

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/24/sports-grants-rugby-club-gets-funding-for-female-change-rooms-but-has-no-womens-team
    A rugby union club in Adelaide’s eastern suburbs won a $500,000 grant for new female change rooms under the Coalition’s sports grant program despite not fielding a women’s team since 2018 when it was embroiled in a sexism controversy.

Guardian Australia has been contacted by concerned former members of the club who say the Old Collegians Rugby Union Club does not need new female change rooms if it does not have a women’s team, expressing anger at the lucrative grant despite an alleged culture of mistreatment and misogyny that led to the entire female team quitting in 2018.

Rugby SA confirmed that Old Collegians last fielded a women’s team in the state competition in 2018 when they were successful in securing the premiership.

According to the club website it is hoping to “reinvigorate” the women’s team ahead of the 2020 season, but it has not yet registered a women’s team for the 2020 competition.

The auditor general report found that 73% of grants awarded in the third round had not been recommended by Sport Australia based on a merit-assessment process that considered community need and increased participation.

It is not known if the rugby club’s grant was one of those recommended by Sport Australia.

Guardian Australia has obtained correspondence from 2018 that shows the women’s team and the club committee clashed in 2018 over alleged sexist behaviour towards the senior female players that ultimately led to the entire team leaving. The team has since moved to the Adelaide University Rugby Union Club.

Those close to the club say the exodus included as many as 30 active supporters along with about 20 female players.

Uh. Wow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    begin {Being Very Adelaide}:

ha, of course it's the prince alfred old boys club.

end {Being Very Adelaide}

• Options
    edited January 2020

Already funded. God damn.

Also that shooting club she had membership of that she didn't declare? She joined it 4 days before the funding was granted.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Truly the best economic managers.

• Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    Right wing trolls are all over social media spreading the "Stupid libs! It's arson not global warming" line.
    plufim wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/24/sports-grants-rugby-club-gets-funding-for-female-change-rooms-but-has-no-womens-team
    A rugby union club in Adelaide’s eastern suburbs won a $500,000 grant for new female change rooms under the Coalition’s sports grant program despite not fielding a women’s team since 2018 when it was embroiled in a sexism controversy.

Guardian Australia has been contacted by concerned former members of the club who say the Old Collegians Rugby Union Club does not need new female change rooms if it does not have a women’s team, expressing anger at the lucrative grant despite an alleged culture of mistreatment and misogyny that led to the entire female team quitting in 2018.

Rugby SA confirmed that Old Collegians last fielded a women’s team in the state competition in 2018 when they were successful in securing the premiership.

According to the club website it is hoping to “reinvigorate” the women’s team ahead of the 2020 season, but it has not yet registered a women’s team for the 2020 competition.

The auditor general report found that 73% of grants awarded in the third round had not been recommended by Sport Australia based on a merit-assessment process that considered community need and increased participation.

It is not known if the rugby club’s grant was one of those recommended by Sport Australia.

Guardian Australia has obtained correspondence from 2018 that shows the women’s team and the club committee clashed in 2018 over alleged sexist behaviour towards the senior female players that ultimately led to the entire team leaving. The team has since moved to the Adelaide University Rugby Union Club.

Those close to the club say the exodus included as many as 30 active supporters along with about 20 female players.

Uh. Wow.

This is somewhat unrelated but..

I'm double sad about this. Old collegians was the club I first played at and always held fondly in my memory. Worse yet it was members of the women's team at the time (late 90s) that convinced me to come play. It was the first sort of thing I did outside of home and school to drag me away from being an angry loner dude.

I had not kept up on then in the last few years and now I'm super bummed. I'm gonna have to get down to cheer for a few university games this year

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Election! 19 September.

• Options
    Cool.

Knowing nothing about NZ politics, is there any assurance that your country won't join the rest of the world by taking a step to the right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Election! 19 September.

I am dreading these next few months.

I don't know how much more anxiety I can handle about politics.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Unknown, from the polling that came out around Christmas is that it would be neck and neck between the current government coalition of NZ Labour, Greens and NZ First against National and ACT.

Also this election we vote on the legalisation of weed in the country that could dominate the election.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I really really really in my daydream would love a Labour/Green coalition and kick NZF to the curb.

but i'm anxious. I've got this and the US election to pay attention to and I feel like I'm going to be an anxious ball of wreck.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I am simultaneously excited and have nothing to be excited about.

I enjoy/love elections in general. Its genuinely exciting to be a part of the political process.
    If theres one improvement i wish for its for transferable votes. I hate the idea of "wasting" my vote which inclines me towards parties that i know can reach either threshold. MMP is one of the least wasteful voting systems but it could be improved imo.

Personally, unless National stabs Simon in the back they have no hope. And even if they do they will have an uphill battle. Not at all like Jacinda's sudden wave of popularity.

I'm hoping that National's lack of appeal will result in more votes for smaller parties. The Māori party is hoping to get back in on the back of Ihumātao and TOP shambles on. I still hold hope for a Mana party. Though if anyone new gets in it'll probably be the Conservative party. If they get in with the 5% party vote it could be a major change in NZ politics. Though not a good one for National as they'd be fighting over the same voters.

I'm curious about NZF. Are people happy with them? Winston certainly seems to have done well for himself, even when he doesn't get what he wants he extracts major concessions. My wish is for Labour/Greens to do well enough to not need NZF.
    Although, looking back at last election, if Labour/Greens do well but not well enough. Having more votes than National but not enough to form a government. I could see NZF forming a National government as they could get more out of it. Much like how NZF went for Labour because they had less votes than National last election.

Edit- looking back at that last election, i was fairly worried about the Labour/Green/NZF arrangement. It hasnt been perfect, but it hasnt been awful like I expected. I was expecting public disorganisation and disagreement but for the most part the government has functioned and arguments have been kept behind closed doors.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Shane Jones lately. And I feel that Winston has caused me some serious eye rolling lately. But nothing like Simon Bridges or Paula Bennet (Sadly, she's my MP).

I'd need to look more into Mana Party to learn more. I need to pay more attention.

• Options
    The Mana Party was really just Hone Harawira, he split from the Māori party because he disagreed with how they were doing things. Mana was a combination of Māori/left wing issues. Probably in the running for most "left" party that was actually in Parliament (recently), just edging out the Greens. The team up with Kim Dotcom in 2014 to form the Mana/Internet party was a disaster and after that Hone was out (as well as the Māori party). I miss Hone, he was a strong character and part of what I like best about MMP, the smaller parties and voices getting their say and shaping the public discourse. I doubt he'll return, in fact I doubt the Māori party with return either (unless Labour really fucks up like they did with the foreshore and seabed).

• Options
    I'd like to see a smaller party like that as well. I think the hopeful success at Ihumātao might bring about some stronger Maori representation. I haven't paid closet attention, but I think Pania Newton could be a good face and voice to have around the national scene.

It's going to be an interesting year for sure. Not even getting into the marijuana referendum. And maybe euthanasia? I dunno, does that go to the public?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Yep, all thanks to NZF. Not much of a fan of referendums it ought to be done in Parliament, but at least it's only a speed bump and not a road block.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Mostly, I just want Bridges and the current style of campaign for National to fail on such a level that they stop the constant bullshit.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The AFP under Dutton?

Hmm, no thanks.

We want an ICAC.

• Options
    I mean, that's the joke, but yeah.

The namadji is on fire.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I am not going to be able to handle a swing back to National/ACT

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »

I will definitely be in need of a drink should that happen

• Options
    The AFP under Dutton?

Hmm, no thanks.

We want an ICAC.

Yeah as was said, it was a joke.

Not a funny one mind, and given how the LNP use the AFP to go after journalists, it may yet happen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So someone leaks a spreadsheet to the ABC exposing more of the sports rort. Morrison’s reaction? Track down the whistleblower.

Fucken typical.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I mean, that's the joke, but yeah.

The namadji is on fire.

I think we're getting ash here in the city.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

I will definitely be in need of a drink should that happen

Speaking of National, the scandal involving Jami-Lee Ross has finally resulted in charges being laid by the SFO against 4 individuals.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/119127222/serious-fraud-office-filing-criminal-charges-in-relation-to-national-party-donations

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Namadgi fire was dropping ash on my car near Lake Burley Griffin this afternoon. Which felt a bit ironic, as my car was smashed up by hail a week and a half ago.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Aus citizens will have to pay $1000 for their own evacuation from Wuhan, then be imprisoned on Christmas Island for two weeks, and then get dropped off in Perth and have to figure out their own way home.

Quite a contrast with an easy $500,000 here and there for their mates Croquet club or whatever.

I guess Wuhan needed to be in a marginal seat.

• Options
    Yeah I was just coming to post that.

This deserves to blow up in the Libs face along with all the other shit blowing up in their face.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Also it sounds like the planes they want to use to evac people probably can't land at Christmas Island, and the medical facilities there aren't up to scratch.

Well thought out all round.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sooooo ICAC?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »

That's very 'Yes, sir. We have all your emails, sir'

That was quick

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

This is all very interesting and all but given how utterly corrupt and horrid this government is, I fully expect a police raid on Channel 10 News in 3...2...1...

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
This discussion has been closed.