As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Senate estimates also revealed the money was spent after the government went into caretaker mode before the election.
    That is, when it should not have been making any more major decisions, so as to prevent lame duck decision making.
    Such as these.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I mean.... that's actually factually illegal, right?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

Apparently.

But as we've seen in the US and the UK, if you can be brazen enough, and the institutions/checks/balances don't interdict, and the public show no signs of punishing you for it, does it really matter if it's illegal, if you can get away with it?

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Isn’t this the point at which the Governor General steps in and gets rid of these chucklefucks for doing illegal shit?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options

No.
    It's code of conduct like stuff, that's spelled out in the "Guidance on Caretaker Provisions" issued by the department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
    But it is not law.

What is law is the Public Service Act and the need for departments to be apolitical and impartial.
    It is not apolitical and impartial to contravene the Caretaker Provisions, as they are put in place to preserve that nature of the APS during an election campaign.
    But that likely just gets public servants fired, and no consequences placed on the government.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    If the decisions to spend the money happened before the caretaker period was appointed, then it's not even in contravention of the guidelines. Doing a bit of pork barelling before the caretaker is pretty much a tradition, these days.

Speaking of the coronavirus - looks like there is mild panic starting to set in here and there. Anecdotally, I've seen/been told of people buying up non-perishables well in advance of any new cases even being reported here. God help us if cases do start appearing in the general population as a community-transition. We'll be cracking open each other's skulls to feast on the goo inside within a week.

• Options
    The list of projects to fund was only sent back to the department after the government entered caretaker mode (that day).
    It should have been discussed with the opposition as to whether the funding should then proceed, as far as I can see.

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Or prison

Somebody please put these criminals in prison already

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Or prison

Somebody please put these criminals in prison already

It looks like the penalty is 20 penalty units though.
    Or about $3k.

• Options
    This seems like the relevant instruction from the Archives:
    https://www.naa.gov.au/information-management/records-authorities/types-records-authorities/general-records-authority-28

Basically, "chicken scratchings" is a valid excuse for not preserving records, as such a record would likely be deemed facilitative, and only meant to aid discussion on the meeting.

But I also imagine that records that document the meeting should also have been created, as the meeting falls within the given interest categories.
    So barring any other documentation, I imagine the chicken scratchings would be taken as the formal record of the meeting.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I saw a news article and at first didn't realise that it was a COMPLETELY different meeting that overturned advice to give a huge grant to a liberal donor they destroyed notes of.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/feb/28/coalition-ministers-kept-no-records-of-meeting-overturning-advice-and-awarding-5m-to-party-donor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Fucking... just.
    The only physical trace of Shine Energy, which wants to build a $2bn coal-fired power station in north Queensland, is a small post office box next to an Asian grocer at a suburban Brisbane shopping complex. The same mailbox is shared by more than a dozen online businesses, including the maker of a metal card that spuriously claims to improve the quality of wine.

Company documents show Shine Energy is worth a nominal $1,000 on paper. It has no registered financial obligations, and no physical office at its listed address.

At least Paladin had a shack on Kangaroo Island...

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Fucking... just.
    The only physical trace of Shine Energy, which wants to build a $2bn coal-fired power station in north Queensland, is a small post office box next to an Asian grocer at a suburban Brisbane shopping complex. The same mailbox is shared by more than a dozen online businesses, including the maker of a metal card that spuriously claims to improve the quality of wine.

Company documents show Shine Energy is worth a nominal $1,000 on paper. It has no registered financial obligations, and no physical office at its listed address.

At least Paladin had a shack on Kangaroo Island...

Sometimes I wish I lacked a conscience enough so that I could be a grifter on this level.

Sometimes.

At least I'd use the billions for good! I'd build homeless LGBTQIA+ youth shelters, and parks and playgrounds in working class areas, and build and donate houses for people on government housing waiting lists.

I'd also pay off my mortgage and buy myself a Lambo but c'mon, who wouldn't in that situation?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Dude, come on. I would never do that.

The Lambo luxury exotic EV offering is too far away.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    In Australia, you actually produce more CO2 driving an electric car than a petrol car because there's so many nonrenewable energy power plants.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Dammit, Australia.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah my father was asking me if he should move to an EV next year and I'm like, only if NSW gets it's act together in the near future. ACT power generation is I think now at 100% renewables, and we run off solar at home, but he spends too much time in Wollongong/Sydney/ south coast to not factor that in.
    Plus I can't find any plans to roll out charging stations in rural areas.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    In Australia, you actually produce more CO2 driving an electric car than a petrol car because there's so many nonrenewable energy power plants.

What are you burning down there? Last I did the math it's still slightly lower even if you're on 100% coal. (Mostly because large generating stations are more efficient than tiny engines, even after transmission losses)

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i can assure you that if there is a way to develop a special extra-toxic kind of low-efficiency coal, the australian government will find it

• Options
  • Options
    Nothing about our energy sector makes any sense. We're the largest exporter in the world of LNG, recently overtaking Qatar, but we're looking to IMPORT LNG to meet local demand...

• Options
    That’s a failure of the government to reserve enough for local use and that most of the LNG contracts are 30+ years so it’s already been sold.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sure. it might tell them stuff they don't want to hear.

tynic on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/4Fs6_nk8MFQ
    Holy shit, one of his best.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mining giant Fortescue Metals, retail giant Wesfarmers, two NRL clubs, and Catholic and Anglican welfare organisations were awarded millions of dollars from a fund for alleviating Indigenous disadvantage.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/09/mining-giant-given-millions-in-grant-by-coalition-from-fund-for-indigenous-disadvantage

Seems legit...

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I'm now convinced that this Government's weak handed and sluggish response to the Covid-19 crisis will lead us to being the Italy of the Pacific. To have the PM, in the midst of multiple events being cancelled and while announcing encouragements to cancel (not enforced bans) on mass gatherings, to encourage people to go to the footy on the weekend is insane. As with everything else Scotty is following Trump's poisonous lead. By the time this lot actually takes the action needed to stop or slow the spread of the virus it will be far too late.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Looks like Dutton has Covid-19.

• Options
    Just came in to post that

• Options
    Quarantine him on Christmas Island.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I’d love it if the AFL actually made the call to play but not to have spectators, just to have the matches televised or streamed. You know, not have to wait for the dipshit government to make it mandatory.

I know it messes with the atmosphere of a competitive setting, but it seems like a reasonable enough compromise?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Looks like Dutton has Covid-19.
    Rest in piss, imo

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I’d love it if the AFL actually made the call to play but not to have spectators, just to have the matches televised or streamed. You know, not have to wait for the dipshit government to make it mandatory.

I know it messes with the atmosphere of a competitive setting, but it seems like a reasonable enough compromise?

I think they are going to, but starting next week.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Between Dutton and Hanks it's clearly all over Queensland. Kind of wish I wasn't writing this on a crowded train to the Gold Coast

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    There is no point worrying about this now - just assume it's where you are and act accordingly. Wash hands, stay home if you feel suitably ill and hopefully employers show mercy to casual workers etc in paying them during this time.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    If the cabinet has to self-isolate, do we get Labor as the government?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    If the cabinet has to self-isolate, do we get Labor as the government?

I await the discovery they have all self-isolated themselves in Hawaii or something.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I mean, as darkly ironic as I find the news, doesn't this mean that effectively all of Australias cabinet have been exposed, and in the case of the PM, publicly committed to attending large sporting events in the next day or so?

Isn't that a massive number, then, of leadership of ministries, etc that you really, really, don't want to have their decision making dead ending right now?

n57PM0C.jpg
This discussion has been closed.