As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I expect it was an FoI request.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I am not going to be able to handle a swing back to National/ACT

I will definitely be in need of a drink should that happen

Yeah, i dont drink but... Being a beneficiary sucks currently. I shudder to think what it'd look like back under National/whoever again. I could kiss my health goodbye, i suspect!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I expect it was an FoI request.

How many hours to go until Dutto shuts them down and starts shredding documents, do you think?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Clearly this is the greens fault for allowing corruption to grow out of control.

Where were they when the coalition engaged in these activities behind closed doors .

How can Australians be expected believe the greens are ready to run a country when they can’t even stop the boats of money flowing from the coalition government to its mates.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Simon Bridges has ruled out a NZF/National coalition. So thats kinda good news. I doubt Simon makes it to the election though so who knows what his successor will do.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Aaand McKenzie has quit. Hopefully the pressure is kept up on Morrison and Frydenberg for their parts in it.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Aaand McKenzie has quit. Hopefully the pressure is kept up on Morrison and Frydenberg for their parts in it.

Quit cabinet, not parliament as a whole. Sent to the naughty corner over $150m.

The government has investigated the government and found the government innocent.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Just from the front bench and just for not declaring her membership of the shooting club. Not the actual rorting, which they still deny despite a bouquet of smoking guns and colour coded spreadsheets to the contrary.

• Options
    Oh christ, Joyce looks to be using this as a play for Nats leadership.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Huh, Di Natale has resigned and will be leaving the Senate. They held an internal election last time and announced the successor in the same sentence, but it's different this time. Wonder if Bandt will get it and transfer the leadership to the bottom house, or co-lead with one in each house

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Do it. Do it you dumb idiots. Put Barnaby back, burn everything to the ground.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    They're both colossal, world-stridingly large gooses, so I don't have a dog in this fight. Let them eat each other

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Ken Watanabe let them fight dot gif

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Anyone have access to sock puppets or a troll farm? Start up rumours about a leadership spill being considered by the Liberal half of the Coalition, with the rationale that they're making way for a fresh start all through government...

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    I mean, I was served a 'Should ScoMo be blamed for the fires?: Yes, No, I don't care' fake survey as a web ad, so that's not necessarily too far out.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Oh I know. Unfortunately, this is democracy today. Politics is a dirty business, and those that aren't farming out social media promotion contracts to questionable Ukrainian start-ups are losing ground to those who are.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Looks like Joyce lost.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Looks like Joyce lost.

...good, I think? Maybe?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Looks like Joyce lost.

...good, I think? Maybe?

It was awful vs awful. No winner possible. At least the beetrooter was made to look stupid. Again.

• Options

Not surprising, the whole scheme was just set up to line the pockets of their mates.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Really does look like ScoMo and his dipshits are looking across the pond to the US, and back to Old Blighty, that "Fuck it, the public won't care, no consequences for being a ratfucking bastard" isn't a bad strategy for self-enrichment, and the accumulation of power.

And the electorates so far haven't proven them wrong.

That Labor aren't screaming from the rafters for an ICAC, tells you all you need to know about that bunch of feckless shits too.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Waitangi Day.

The sun is shining, the chores are done, the place is clean (enough), and your partner is an elected public servant spending most of the day at invitational commerative events while you stay home and look after the kids.

Just the quitessential kiwi bloke experience, really.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    That Labor aren't screaming from the rafters for an ICAC, tells you all you need to know about that bunch of feckless shits too.

Because they'll probably get hit hard during an ICAC too. Most, if not all of our political parties have some deep corruption problems. Which is why we need one and also why we won't get one.

• Options
    edited February 2020

LNP hired goons give the expected answer.

Also more grants nonsense, this time.... expensive BBQs for a fucking sailing club.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Because they'll probably get hit hard during an ICAC too. Most, if not all of our political parties have some deep corruption problems. Which is why we need one and also why we won't get one.

The greens were the only ones committed to an ICAC based on their past votes.

It would be great if they could get a majority.

Which is why it's also never going to happen.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Oh a whole different sports funding scheme was ALSO abused? I am shocked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So, looks like Barnaby and ScoMo may go after each other.

*letthemfight.gif*

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/not-smart-barnaby-joyce-warns-scott-morrison-his-supporters-could-cross-the-floor/news-story/85003215aff56974f4a9097aa859102f

TLDR, Barnaby tried to depose the National leader. Several ministerial positions have become available since. Noone who supported Barnaby got ministerships*. Barnaby is cracking it, threatening that he and some others may "cross the floor", basically spiking ScoMo's agenda.

* Now, to me, not giving ministerships to people that just recently tried to undercut the leadership of your closest ally seems pretty reasonable. It's not the same as giving ministerships to people who just tried to depose you, but it's close enough. But Barnaby gonna Barnaby.

Depending on how hard he pushes it, Barnaby could potentially have us going back to the polls again.

Fucking hell I'm tired of the ratfuckery, corruption and incompetence across all three major parties.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Wasn't this because Barnaby wanted to be more assertive on climate change (read: stronger opposition against reducing our climate footprint)?

discrider on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You know, as someone who lives in what's considered "rural" Australia, after watching the sky turn red and ash fall everywhere like you're living in fucking Silent Hill, I cannot fathom why the nationals would oppose doing more about climate change. Rural farmers and towns have suffered by far the most from the bushfires, with some towns having been wiped off the map by the intensity.

Are they just completely dense or have they not gone to actually look at what's happened to their constituents?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »

With the cash doled out in the two weeks leading up to election day? How the fuck. This is WORSE and with $150 million it's even bigger. Government funding for the Liberal re-election fund. Are they incapable of thinking that what the Government is and what the Coalition is, are actually two separate things??

No they don't and they're not being held to account for that misconception. Garh!!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You know, as someone who lives in what's considered "rural" Australia, after watching the sky turn red and ash fall everywhere like you're living in fucking Silent Hill, I cannot fathom why the nationals would oppose doing more about climate change. Rural farmers and towns have suffered by far the most from the bushfires, with some towns having been wiped off the map by the intensity.

Are they just completely dense or have they not gone to actually look at what's happened to their constituents?

Nah, those were all Greens voters (who... presumably didn't want the bush backburned to dust to prevent fires?)

discrider on
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »

With the cash doled out in the two weeks leading up to election day? How the fuck. This is WORSE and with $150 million it's even bigger. Government funding for the Liberal re-election fund. Are they incapable of thinking that what the Government is and what the Coalition is, are actually two separate things??

No they don't and they're not being held to account for that misconception. Garh!!

Government and coalition are the same thing to them even when not in power .

Party first , y’all!

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://junkee.com/australia-pledge-of-allegiance/241244
    Australian senators recently voted for students to recite a pledge of allegiance to Australia at school.

The motion was non-binding, but still passed 51 to 9. Only the Greens voted against it.

For context, back in January Labor MP Tanya Plibersek called for all children to learn a pledge of allegiance in schools. It’s something she has supported for years.

Last week Senators Eric Abetz and Concetta Fierravanti-Wells picked that up and ran with it, moving a motion that schools should consider forcing kids to recite the Australian citizenship pledge. The motion states that the Senate “notes the Australian citizenship pledge … and calls on all schools to consider having the citizenship pledge recited by students on appropriate occasions”.

Thread

For fuck sake. Just... why? Why do this? And from Labor, no less?

This country is really going in an awful direction and isn't stopping, especially with both parties on board for this obnoxious populist, nationalist bullshit.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Forgetting that dual nationalities are a thing, apparently

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Last clause precludes civil disobedience against unjust laws too.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Last clause precludes civil disobedience against unjust laws too.

I mean, it isn't legally binding.

This discussion has been closed.