As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The thing I'm missing most on day three of lockdown is takeout.

Got some persistent cold, and I just wanna order a burger or some butter chicken and naan

Menulog/Ubereats/DoorDash with a leave on arrival instruction?

All the places that could be ordered from are closed

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Got some persistent cold, and I just wanna order a burger or some butter chicken and naan

We’re abouts? I’m in south west Sydney and takeaway places are still open for pick up and delivery, just not dine in.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

We’re abouts? I’m in south west Sydney and takeaway places are still open for pick up and delivery, just not dine in.

New Zealand all delivery food services are closed.

Fresh food delivery like food boxes and grocery delivery are still available, but no UberEats or anything like that.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Ah forgot NZ had proper lockdown in place.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yup.

No delivery takeout. No takeouts open at all. No playgrounds. No butchers or veg shops.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    No UberEats.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yup.

No delivery takeout. No takeouts open at all. No playgrounds. No butchers or veg shops.

The butcher and veggie shops one bugs me, honestly. (In that i dont really like the smaller businesses suffering while the supermarkets are making bank).

But yeah, if stuff was open trust me i'd be all over ordering from Great India and getting their butter chicken. (Seriously all, you ever in wellington and you love indian food, you owe it to yourself to visit Great India... presuming they survive all this =( )

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    the one that bugs me more than the butchers and the veg shops was that one of my local asian grocers was open on friday, but there was a guy from MPI saying they hadn't filled in the right paperwork, which the Duty Manager thought they had.

I got super upset at the thought of the asian groceries might not be allowed to be open while Countdown and PnS are because they're "grocery stores".

Apparently though Tai Ping is open right now. I just hope this other place was allowed to stay open as well. There were maybe 10 people in the store and they had heaps of great looking produce.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    the one that bugs me more than the butchers and the veg shops was that one of my local asian grocers was open on friday, but there was a guy from MPI saying they hadn't filled in the right paperwork, which the Duty Manager thought they had.

I got super upset at the thought of the asian groceries might not be allowed to be open while Countdown and PnS are because they're "grocery stores".

Apparently though Tai Ping is open right now. I just hope this other place was allowed to stay open as well. There were maybe 10 people in the store and they had heaps of great looking produce.

Whenver my health is up to letting me, i'm going to check if the local asian grocers is open here - they dont do fresh produce, but they're my source of stuff like udon noodles, all the amazing sauces, spices (mirin is the secret to amazing gravies, and i will FIGHT anyone who suggests otherwise) etc.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    But yeah, if stuff was open trust me i'd be all over ordering from Great India and getting their butter chicken. (Seriously all, you ever in wellington and you love indian food, you owe it to yourself to visit Great India... presuming they survive all this =( )

Hey I ate there when I visited Wellington in like... 2007. Yes it was good. I don't remember exactly which dishes I had though.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The very best Indian restaurant is a place out in Lower Hutt, according to the 2 dozen or so of my co-workers from Bangaluru, but we've got a bunch that are pretty great here, including Great India.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    sizeable swing to the left in brisbane council elections. greens are racking up 15% swings in some seats! i had quietly convinced myself the virus was going to fuck us so it's nice to see this complete vindication of everything i have ever said and done. libs will retain the mayorship but that's to be expected

pretty good sign for labor in the upcoming state election, as well. palaszczuk has been flagging in recent months but seems to be handling the pandemic well, and the coalition has largely failed to present a credible opposition

not sure how the state level by-elections are going to go. i did not realise labor in ipswich is just straight up running against one nation now, like that seems to be the primary opposition over there. but one nation voters are honestly not as bad as people think so i'm not too worried about it

this has been your queensland update

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Update on a FIFO regional WA worker here. The regions are going into lockdown on Tuesday midnight, but so far we've received no notification if we remain an "essential service", as we had been deemed a little over a week ago (I work on a mine site. Doesn't feel very essential). Mercifully I'm flying home on Monday, otherwise, who knows. Stranded in a mining camp would not be ideal

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Glad I got out of the game with respect to the virus. Camps are haven for virus

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

At least people are taking it as seriously as it warrants. I've seen an unprecedented attitude change, but I suppose that's becoming more common around Australia now

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

At least people are taking it as seriously as it warrants. I've seen an unprecedented attitude change, but I suppose that's becoming more common around Australia now

I’m really glad to hear it. As an Aussie living in NZ, I’m only catching snippets about what the govt is doing in Aus, most of what I heard was that it was a shitshow

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »

I’m really glad to hear it. As an Aussie living in NZ, I’m only catching snippets about what the govt is doing in Aus, most of what I heard was that it was a shitshow

Oh it is a shitshow, and while some people get it and are doing social distancing, there’s plenty who aren’t and fucking it up for everyone.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The disaster with the cruise ship in Sydney has done immense damage to the governments ability to contain the virus. After this is over, the coalition can never again claim they are the masters of border protection.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The disaster with the cruise ship in Sydney has done immense damage to the governments ability to contain the virus. After this is over, the coalition can never again claim they are the masters of border protection.

Hasn't stopped them yet

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    The very best Indian restaurant is a place out in Lower Hutt, according to the 2 dozen or so of my co-workers from Bangaluru, but we've got a bunch that are pretty great here, including Great India.

@Fishman Could you get me the name of that? I've parents who ADORE indian food, and next time they're down they might be up for an adventure to that place

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    sizeable swing to the left in brisbane council elections. greens are racking up 15% swings in some seats! i had quietly convinced myself the virus was going to fuck us so it's nice to see this complete vindication of everything i have ever said and done. libs will retain the mayorship but that's to be expected

pretty good sign for labor in the upcoming state election, as well. palaszczuk has been flagging in recent months but seems to be handling the pandemic well, and the coalition has largely failed to present a credible opposition

not sure how the state level by-elections are going to go. i did not realise labor in ipswich is just straight up running against one nation now, like that seems to be the primary opposition over there. but one nation voters are honestly not as bad as people think so i'm not too worried about it

this has been your queensland update

That's a good way to look at it.

But... I also notice it looks like there was a zero change in seats. Every incumbent looks to be winning. Crazy

• Options
    Oh ffs we’ve now got media starting to call the NSW lockdown laws ‘draconian’.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I did get an uneasy feeling watching a video one of my friends posted of a woman being stopped at a police checkpoint and interrogated about where she was going, and then asking to see her shopping to confirm her story. I understand the necessity but it all feels a little bit 1984.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I dunno about the laws themselves, but from over here the police response looks a little ... well, on par for the NSW police, lets say.
    NZ's lockdown seems more wide-ranging in some ways, but the enforcement is far more laid back.

Personally I think while stringent lockdown requirements are a good thing, avoiding fascist "papers please" policing of the community is also vital. If nothing else, this is something where to be effective, the community has to be behind the initiative - top-down enforcement for things that aren't malicious or egregious is gonna cause a pushback, and eventually civil disobedience.

This is from Osman Faruqi, who is a journalist - it's a bit mislabelled because he picked the 'most severe penalty' for each country, rather than the mean response. But I can see why people are getting anxiety.

dwb0r3pcn8zq.jpeg

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Given that people in NSW are leaving isolation - with confirmed Covid diagnosis - to go wander around malls, and people are spitting on police who try to enforce the laws and healthcare professionals just trying to help, not to mention racist assaults on random people, I’m good with some hefty fines and prison time.

People here are being fucking dumb about this after they were requested to social distance. They refused, this is the result.

Be responsible human beings and you won’t have this happen.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Yeah that couple who went to a party and then happily spread it everywhere, knowing they were infected, is horrific. Also see everyone of the dumbarses who went to Bondi beach and it’s now the new NSW hotspot for the virus. Who could have foreseen that?!?

People were asked nicely. Now they know that doesn’t work.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I dunno about the laws themselves, but from over here the police response looks a little ... well, on par for the NSW police, lets say.
    NZ's lockdown seems more wide-ranging in some ways, but the enforcement is far more laid back.

Personally I think while stringent lockdown requirements are a good thing, avoiding fascist "papers please" policing of the community is also vital. If nothing else, this is something where to be effective, the community has to be behind the initiative - top-down enforcement for things that aren't malicious or egregious is gonna cause a pushback, and eventually civil disobedience.

This is from Osman Faruqi, who is a journalist - it's a bit mislabelled because he picked the 'most severe penalty' for each country, rather than the mean response. But I can see why people are getting anxiety.

dwb0r3pcn8zq.jpeg

Yeah, our police commissioner is pretty up front that the first instance the response is education, the second a warning, and only after repeated offenses should it escalate past that.
    I can't for sure say that's how it is working in practice at the frontlines, but my overall impression is that our police force here in NZ are much better at managing positive engagement with the public than some more problematic enforcement behaviours encountered in some agencies found overseas.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's not totally positive imo. The main thing would be the PM/the health website saying walks and the like are fine and the police commissioner saying "no walks". I get it from a police perspective, it's difficult to tell the difference between legitimate walks and someone breaking social distancing and much easier to discourage all walking, but it's a bit over the mark. The police have a tendency to make their own rules, sometimes quite reasonable (like cracking down on outdoor activities like swimming or tramping due to the lack of surf guards and wanting to avoid search and rescue incidents), but its of their own accord and can contradict official guidelines or laws.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I wonder what the overlap is between people who are aggressively patriotic, and people who would rather put their country's health at risk than miss a piss-up.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I wonder what the overlap is between people who are aggressively patriotic, and people who would rather put their country's health at risk than miss a piss-up.

The venn diagram would be a circle.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I am still so mad about that cruise ship.

Bit rich for the state government involved in the biggest covid fuck up in Australia is the one imposing such massive fines, while noone takes the hit for that fucking boat.

I'm in SA. A full 25% of our covid cases come from that damn ship.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    I am still so mad about that cruise ship.

Bit rich for the state government involved in the biggest covid fuck up in Australia is the one imposing such massive fines, while noone takes the hit for that fucking boat.

I'm in SA. A full 25% of our covid cases come from that damn ship.

But it was worth it for those tourist dollars! /s

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    21 March I was freaking out, cases were following the "your country is f*cking up" graph, a rough calculation said by today we'd be up around 16000 cases. So glad to see that when I checked this evening it was 4860, either our testing and reporting is a joke, or the restrictions on movement and assembly is working. Thank you states for kicking the Federal govt into gear. I'm not usually a fan of our government duplication in Australia, but it's possibly saved the day this time. Hope I haven't jinxed things by feeling a bit more positive for the first time in ages.

• Options
    If the numbers are accurate we’ve done well but we’ve got a long time to go.

This is going to be months, not weeks.

• Options
    MostlyHarmless!MostlyHarmless! Registered User new member
    A lot of people I know in SA Health are absolutely livid about the people that NSW Health let into the state that had the virus. It's screwing over some of our tourist regions they visited too.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I'm thinking the people on Bondi and the Ruby Princess may actually end up helping in the long run - they cut the legs out from under the people trying to pretend nothing needed to be done.

• Options
    Saw an interesting thing about the Ruby Princess - we haven’t heard a peep from Dutton since then. He’s also confirmed to have Covid-19.

• Options
    Saw an interesting thing about the Ruby Princess - we haven’t heard a peep from Dutton since then. He’s also confirmed to have Covid-19.

I noticed the potato wasn’t the one who had to be utterly eviscerated by the media the other day.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    I think it's going pretty well here, especially seeing other 1st world nations with tens of thousands of cases and deaths spiralling into the several hundred per day. We can do better, for sure, but things are starting to settle - round here, the panic buying is easing off, with toilet paper and mince and flour hitting the shelves again which is nice. I still see a fair few folks on the road, but it's definitely noticeable that people are abiding by the laws.

The curve hasn't fully flattened in Australia, but it's getting there. It's still going to be months before it all goes here and many, many months before we open the borders again though.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Most of Australia has the advantage of low population density compared to other cities and countries in the world, which means you actually HAVE 4 square meters to yourself and there’s actually space on the street to observe safe distancing. That means more people can still be out and about with a slightly higher frequency than other places and get away with it.

I honestly think that, plus being an island nation, has been Australia’s saving grace. Our circumstances - rather than our decision making and behaviour - are doing a lot of heavy lifting, to be sure.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
This discussion has been closed.