As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I work in SA health*, so I'm still going in to work each day, despite having asthma.

I hate this.

*my job is mostly office based at least.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh and my wife is a midwife at regional hospital so she can't work from home either.

And... My mother is on the tail end of 2.5 years of chemo, so she's isolated herself and could drop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Welp panic buying has hit the Onehunga countdown.

That's kind of annoying since we walk to the store stocking up for several days are hard since I have skinny arms.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

That's kind of annoying since we walk to the store stocking up for several days are hard since I have skinny arms.

Wait a second.... You live down the road from me?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    There was heaps of rumour going around earlier that we were headed for a complete border shutdown here in NZ. People might have been responding to that? Napier is fine so far, though Tauranga Pak n Save is getting rowdy according to my sister in law

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »

Wait a second.... You live down the road from me?

Possibly, I don't know here you live (Hill Street here)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Well, now we are a complete border shutdown here in NZ, so...

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    apparently that decision was made between 4 and 5 pm

It was going to happenbut i'm worried about my coworkers. they're already freaking out.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Honestly, dont know enoguh to say if the border shutdown is smart or not, but it seems reasonable enough as a mitigation tactic - the virus is already here, but slowing down new instances of it entering the country seems sensible? Do worry about the panic it might set off - guess we'll find out once i recover from my current cold and feel comfortable going out again. (Pretty sure i've just got a mild cold, but no point in burdening the health system more than it needs to be right now, ya know?)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    LokarnLokarn Registered User regular
    We seem to be a couple of weeks behind for number of cases in SA, but people are still panic buying regardless.

My office can and is almost fully working from home, with the sole exception of our finance dept. Manager still thinks we need to come in and work business as usual. Despite us all having laptops and wfh capability.
    They suggested instead we drive in to work and get reimbursed parking to avoid the public transport crowds. Frustrating.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Australia is also shutting borders.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife is receiving breifings as an elected official, and my D&D group chat covers the Ministries of Health, Immigration, Social Welfare, one of those secret acronym agencies no one is supposed to know you work for, and a couple of others.

What we're trying to avoid right now is community transmission. It's fine to have it coming into the country, having those people self-isolate, and go on about our business.

If we can continue to stop it at the borders - everyone entering is responsible - and we don't have it in the community, then actually we might actually not have things go badly.
    The issue is that it seems that tourists were still entering the country and weren't showing indications of self isolating, which is a huge risk of community transmission.

One of the key things is contact tracing. So long as even if we get a wild case we can then clamp down and track potential exposures, and then isolate those exposed, we can probably even then continue to manage this as a controlled outbreak. This is why Unticketed events were the first things cut, but going to the movies (and sitting in your seats) - actually not too bad. Practice a bit of social distancing, and your spread is limited, and the vectors are known and can be tracked if exposed.

It's when it becomes uncontrolled in our communities it becomes lockdown and shut down, what Australia and America, and the UK and Europe are going through (or going to have to go through) to have to control it.
    NZ isn't there yet. And if we can continue to stop it at the borders, control all the vectors, we won't actually need to go there at all.

A key period is the next couple weeks. The last waves of tourists and homecomers need to see out their isolation. The movement of people has slowed down to a trickle, so after that we should have fairly good border controls. It's this current peak wave where people were moving freely through infection countries that is our biggest period of risk. If we get to April, and everything continues on the way it has, with all cases originating overseas and no evidence of native community transmission inside New Zealand... pretty much we're going to be okay. We should be able to go out, drink at a cafe, go to movies, play sports, see friends, all those usual things that we do in New Zealand.

But it's a big 'IF'. And right now we don't know which is why we're closing the borders, to absolutely try and give us the best chance of getting through the next 14 days.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Trying to explain that to panicked coworkers has been an interesting day today.

even before the decision tonight.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Man, this whole thing has been surreal. I came back from Thailand via Singapore last Sunday, just ahead of the mandatory isolation period. I spoke with my work and they said come in, so I did. Only by Wednesday morning to be told to go home and work from here for the remaining 2 weeks.

Shops are stripped bare, I've asked my next door neighbours (who are 80+) if they need me to get anything for them. My mother has had 5 lymph nodes taken out and a double masectomy from breast cancer, so she can't leave. Dad's in good health, but had a pulmenory embolism a few years ago. So both of them are at risk if this sweeps through.

We're in the ACT, with a grand total of 3 cases. Not really that impressed by the Government's efforts, overall. No one was checking anyone coming in from Thailand - despite good screening at Koh Samui, of all places, there was nothing at Kingsford Smith or Canberra. We've no doubt got a shit load of people infected and I bet it's just a matter of time before that sweeps through the ACT like it is through Sydney.

Big kicker everyone is waiting for is when schools are going to be shut down because of this, because that will fuck everything for ages - the nation will grind to a halt as everyone looks after their kids instead of working. We thought the shops were bare now, I can only imagine what that looks like when the supply chains can't keep up from lack of staff.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    My wife is receiving breifings as an elected official, and my D&D group chat covers the Ministries of Health, Immigration, Social Welfare, one of those secret acronym agencies no one is supposed to know you work for, and a couple of others.

What we're trying to avoid right now is community transmission. It's fine to have it coming into the country, having those people self-isolate, and go on about our business.

If we can continue to stop it at the borders - everyone entering is responsible - and we don't have it in the community, then actually we might actually not have things go badly.
    The issue is that it seems that tourists were still entering the country and weren't showing indications of self isolating, which is a huge risk of community transmission.

One of the key things is contact tracing. So long as even if we get a wild case we can then clamp down and track potential exposures, and then isolate those exposed, we can probably even then continue to manage this as a controlled outbreak. This is why Unticketed events were the first things cut, but going to the movies (and sitting in your seats) - actually not too bad. Practice a bit of social distancing, and your spread is limited, and the vectors are known and can be tracked if exposed.

It's when it becomes uncontrolled in our communities it becomes lockdown and shut down, what Australia and America, and the UK and Europe are going through (or going to have to go through) to have to control it.
    NZ isn't there yet. And if we can continue to stop it at the borders, control all the vectors, we won't actually need to go there at all.

A key period is the next couple weeks. The last waves of tourists and homecomers need to see out their isolation. The movement of people has slowed down to a trickle, so after that we should have fairly good border controls. It's this current peak wave where people were moving freely through infection countries that is our biggest period of risk. If we get to April, and everything continues on the way it has, with all cases originating overseas and no evidence of native community transmission inside New Zealand... pretty much we're going to be okay. We should be able to go out, drink at a cafe, go to movies, play sports, see friends, all those usual things that we do in New Zealand.

But it's a big 'IF'. And right now we don't know which is why we're closing the borders, to absolutely try and give us the best chance of getting through the next 14 days

I'm supposed to fly to the US in late July for a week and a half, and the bolded is what concerns me about that. If these measures are still in place (and I want to be clear, if they're needed, that's fine, I'm not wanting to elevate risk for my own entertainment), even if I'm permitted to go, I won't be going. A two week self quarantine there, and a two week self quarantine when I'm back, just makes it completely untenable. ~40 days off work, for a ten day trip? Yeah, pass.

So, I'm not expecting to go, but I'm also hoping that more manageable structures are able to be put in place, because it's one thing to shut down for a couple of weeks. But if this is still ongoing in four months, I'm honestly not sure what our society is going to look like. I doubt there are few businesses (outside maybe tech), that can survive a four plus month shuttering, and I know of few people that'll not be in serious shit financially. Some people can work from home. But a lot can't. Point of sale staff, security (my job), essential services and utilities.

I get that things need to change. And clearly public health matters. But if we can't get a handle on managing this, I can't see the current level of reaction/response being sustainable.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I have to ask, since it showed up on my Youtube TV this morning... how the hell wasn't the AFL opening game cancelled?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Didn't they have no spectators?

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yes no spectators, interviews conducted at a distance etc.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    As a small business owner, this has been the toughest challenge I’ve ever faced. Especially as I own a games store.

I really have to think about what I want to do here. Public health and safety must always come first.

I am also not expecting any real help from the government.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Seems to me Morrison could either have an economic disaster by closing the country down early, but keep the infection under control, or keep the economy going a bit longer and then have an economic disaster and a medical disaster as well. No surprises which one he's chosen.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    As a small business owner, this has been the toughest challenge I’ve ever faced. Especially as I own a games store.

I really have to think about what I want to do here. Public health and safety must always come first.

A local games store owner is offering home delivery as an option now to nearby suburbs. Lots of folks in the community have stepped up and offered to help to help them with this. It’s been cool to see. Might this be an option for you?

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

@aegeri y'all do gift cards I can buy online? I just moved to Rotorua. my collection is seriously lacking and a friend I've made is really in to boardgames. Do you do shipping?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Vivixenne wrote: »

A local games store owner is offering home delivery as an option now to nearby suburbs. Lots of folks in the community have stepped up and offered to help to help them with this. It’s been cool to see. Might this be an option for you?

Yeah, it's definitely an option I am considering and it will probably make things easier. Protecting my community is becoming my number 1 priority and it's increasingly looking like there are only a handful of truly effective options for doing that. Basic things I need, like hand sanitizer, wipes and similar have been panic bought off shelves everywhere. I can barely enforce my own rules on hygiene right now as I simply don't have the things required. Currently a system where I kind of just deliver things right to customers could work - I'm actually able to take my POS anywhere I have internet. So this could be a real option.

I am in Australia and while I do ship things, NZ might be a bit far away :)

Edit: I am not in as bad a position as other businesses though. So many others, especially food outlets, are suffering so badly right now. They need the most help.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Video games or card and board games? If the latter I'd get a few cheaper sets of games that don't require some hidden component and some cheap webcam/headsets.
    Have them in a bundle so that 2-3 households can play the same game together and replicate each other's moves on the same board. Selling less games to groups in general, but more copies of the game per group.

Games with one 'baddie' and a co-op team of 'goodies' could also work.

We've been looking for something like this, but don't think we've got it in our collection (1st ed Mansions of Madness would work, but it's not available to buy as a second set - not even the just the rule tiles and monster set anymore). The FFG Call of Cthullu card game might work though, where players have their own deck - as would others where you have one person controlling the random deck and the other people in different rooms just playing those cards on their table from a catalogue for reference.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    I sell board and card games, plus role playing games. I will probably move my games online for customers to play so they can still get a distraction each week.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Some NZ updates:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/412278/coronavirus-ministry-of-health-announces-13-new-covid-19-cases-in-nz

More cases - Up to 52 confirmed, 4 probable, 2 possible community transmissions.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/412273/coronavirus-live-updates-in-nz-and-around-the-world-on-21-march

Goverment's annoucned a 4 level alert system - we're currently on level 2. Some experts are pushing we should already be at level 3/4 however, to short circuit the virus as much as possible.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    It’s really sad :( I was hoping Jacinta had been quick enough to stop it before it hit.

In reality, it was probably already present they just didn’t know it.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    nvm I can't read lol

Anzekay on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    @Aegeri where in Aus are you and what is the name of your store? (PM me if you’re worried about privacy.)

I wanna chuck it in our Discord so that if there are any forumers in your town, they can spread the word locally!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm putting $5 on Civic, because I don't like losing money

• Options
    So an ABC radio presenter just posted this:

.... Whaaa?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Apparently pretty much all the known cases of it here are from people who have travelled so they may think they can keep on top it it still but that sounds real crazy. It all felt very far away for me but just found out there's a whole American family that is infected up in the wine region just past where I live. Still, as someone who barely leaves the house apart from work and already washes my hands constantly I'm hoping it's just my anxiety and goddamn food supplies I need to keep track of.

• Options
    I've found most of the panic shopping has died down, aside from antibacterial gel, flour and toilet paper.
    Easy to get the toilet paper from the servo though (although it's a challenge when you want to avoid OTR)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2020
    discrider wrote: »

In which case, I've been a dutiful customer every summer

Edit: oh shit and now I know what I'm getting my sister for her quarantine birthday. You don't have any copies of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, by any chance?

tynic on
  • Options
    I closed my stores gaming space from tomorrow.

I had to let my employees go until we can restore our full business again.

I am so beyond heartbroken right now.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    ... pretty sure I lose my $5

But I can't really play games anymore with my young kid, even if I am somewhere nearby.

discrider on
  • Options
    But yeah, this sucks aegeri

• Options
    I will get back to peoples PMs and questions soon

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

In which case, I've been a dutiful customer every summer

Edit: oh shit and now I know what I'm getting my sister for her quarantine birthday. You don't have any copies of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, by any chance?

Looks like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Carlton House & Queen's Park Board Game is in stock. I could definitely get it and can post to Australia. Depending on how the apocalypse goes.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    PM me your shop details (if I'm gonna buy a game I'd like to help out a forumer in need while doing it)

This discussion has been closed.