As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Request to change thread title to:

"[Australian & NZ Politics] New Zealand Decided. Hm!"

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Ugh, I can not escape these Palmer United ads.

They seem to be everywhere.

which means it is time again for another round of....
    FUCK OFF CLIVE

Where abouts generally are you that he's trying to get his scummy greedy fingers into the electorate?

I mean, I'm all for him pissing away money on a fools errand, but as we've seen with the US, sometimes a fool convinces enough people anyway.

Wish he'd just fuck right off, a couple hundred kilometres due East of his headquarter's current location.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

FUCK OFF CLIVE

Where abouts generally are you that he's trying to get his scummy greedy fingers into the electorate?

I mean, I'm all for him pissing away money on a fools errand, but as we've seen with the US, sometimes a fool convinces enough people anyway.

Wish he'd just fuck right off, a couple hundred kilometres due East of his headquarter's current location.
    I am on the Gold Coast so technically its not Clive directly but his wife Anna.
    just a constant barrage of tv and internet ads all about Labors death taxes and how Labor will come and kill your children, got to be costing him a fortune.
    at least 2 or 3 ads per break.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

FUCK OFF CLIVE

Wait, when was it not that time?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »

FUCK OFF CLIVE

Wait, when was it not that time?

During those small times when he's not part of your conscious thought?

Until Viking's post putting that corrupt corpulent bastard back into my head, I'd forgotten he existed since his lawsuit with Western Australia.

Sometimes I can forget. But when I can't forget, I can't ignore. And when I can't ignore, "FUCK OFF, CLIVE!"

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    that sounds all perfectly normal and not corrupt....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Never not grifting.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

Obviously when they say shredded, they mean "accidentally run over with a tractor", as is S.O.P. for the Libs.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The current Cartier Watches saga is such a pathetic and blatant attempt at distraction from gigantic ongoing corruption stories and it's a further example of how profoundly useless the Australian media is that they all ate it up.

• Options
    It’s not uselessness, it is a conscious, cynical effort by the editorial staff of the largest media players. It is being reported, but only by small, independent reporters

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    the faux outrage our politicians have over the watch scandal is downright insulting.

"I was angry at the blatant corruption so please don't look too carefully in my direction...."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    In not-soul-destroying news, I appreciate this option piece. A little bit self congratulatory I guess, but Ann Salmond is a legend so it’s fine, imo

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/anne-salmond-navigating-by-the-stars?fbclid=IwAR11k8EafXE3vIw0ZSDbwHoDNMZCmZLL5rKjyuqOfr4yeaUFJN5pYLyTwy0

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Listening to the proceedings of the Aus lower house and it sounds like it has broken down.
    With the government pushing through legislation without debate to a Senate that's currently busy with Senate Estimates and can't hear the bills, while the opposition is calling for formal votes on every motion to expedite (which they then lose) due to this flattening of debate when there's ample time.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited October 2020

That's the grift. He never spends the money, just reannounces it over and over.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Related, and a genuine question. Has ANYTHING changed at a federal or state level since the fires last year? Because I'm terrified we're heading in to a new summer with no new plans or infrastructure

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Not a damned thing - at least in the ACT, the Labor/Greens government was re-elected with more Green seats. Whether that makes a lick of difference between now and summer, who can tell.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I mean in general trees don't grow that fast, so overall there's probably just literally less wood and animals to burn.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Related, and a genuine question. Has ANYTHING changed at a federal or state level since the fires last year? Because I'm terrified we're heading in to a new summer with no new plans or infrastructure

The fires weren’t just last year.

Just saying as someone who was in a danger area well into the new year.

2020 has fucking sucked.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

The fires weren’t just last year.

Just saying as someone who was in a danger area well into the new year.

2020 has fucking sucked.

Look, the start of 2020 was like 52 years ago emotionally.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Probably had those chopper spotlights changed though.
    Or more generally the military is likely more prepared if and when they need to be deployed against guess.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's something deeply ironic in the way the political party called the Nationals fucking hates our native animals. I swear the NSW Nats have a koala vendetta
    (for latest, see: Local Land Services Amendment Bill (Misc), aka 'permanently freeze koala habitat protection at existing levels').

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Same thing for all conservatives really. They rarely are a party that cares about conservation.

Unless they're eco-fascists, but those are just a meme.

• Options
    It's more a tree vendetta.
    Gotta be able to clear fell your farm or property for agricultural or subdivision reasons.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    It's more a tree vendetta.
    Gotta be able to clear fell your farm or property for agricultural or subdivision reasons.

yeah they've always hated forests. Well, forests that aren't in the process of being felled. Just feels like "pushing an iconic national animal into endangered status" should elicit something more than a lizard-eyed blink and a sneer about 'tree-rats'.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Same thing for all conservatives really. They rarely are a party that cares about conservation.

In a little piece of excellent timing, I met an eco fascist on the weekend just gone!

Gonna spoiler the rest for anti-Semitic content:
    My wife, through a friend, joined a hiking group. Turns out the lady running it (white, natural-born NZ citizen) is a neo-fascist who is big into environmentalism! She wanted to explain to me that Trump was good for America, actually, and Hitler was right on a number of things. She did think Hitler should have deported jewish to the Middle East rather than murder them.
    This came out during the pre-walk brunch. I was the arsehole, allegedly, for being impolite and causing a scene at the cafe. I won’t bore you with the petty drama any further, but we didn’t go on that hike nor will we be attending future events!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Hey Tef? You absolutely were not the arsehole there.

What a goddam moron. 2016+ really just made these people no longer afraid to tell everyone who they really are, and they expect everyone to just accept it.

And good God, she liked Trump. Destroy the EPA Trump. What a fucking shitcock.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I too, would have caused a scene there.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I, on the other hand, would likely have not caused a scene. As I'm used to hearing those things all my life and not being able to talk back.

So

Thank you for standing up. It means a lot more to others than you know.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Turns out, for the LNP, coal* outranks banks:

*they'll pretend they're mad because poor farmers will hurt, but come on.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

In a little piece of excellent timing, I met an eco fascist on the weekend just gone!

Gonna spoiler the rest for anti-Semitic content:
    My wife, through a friend, joined a hiking group. Turns out the lady running it (white, natural-born NZ citizen) is a neo-fascist who is big into environmentalism! She wanted to explain to me that Trump was good for America, actually, and Hitler was right on a number of things. She did think Hitler should have deported jewish to the Middle East rather than murder them.
    This came out during the pre-walk brunch. I was the arsehole, allegedly, for being impolite and causing a scene at the cafe. I won’t bore you with the petty drama any further, but we didn’t go on that hike nor will we be attending future events!

You were not the arsehole, people like this rely on other people being too polite to call them out, which is largely what got us to *gestures vaguely in every direction*. I suspect I would have done the same in your position and my gf would have been similarly pissed at me but if we can't draw the line at literal fucking Nazis then society was a mistake and we should just go back to the trees or the ocean or something.

Also the lockdown in Victoria has lifted, which is nice!

• Options
    Yeah my wife had by back completely and most others were embarrassed that I had said something about it.

I never felt bad about calling her out. Fascists need to be called out and made to look stupid early and often! I told my wife and her friend on the drive back that it is far more rude to support anti-worker, anti-minority policies than it is to call someone a fucking idiot.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Everyone who knew she held those views and continued to voluntarily associate with her should be fucking ashamed. Like they say, you got one nazi and nine people who happily hang with the nazi, well

• Options
    I will admit I tolerate a fairly high amount of bullshit opinions irl. The conversation started because I was praising the NZ election result and she disagreed. If she had been a Nats/ACT voter I would have probably grinned and took it, chalking her up as greedy and/or stupid.
    tynic wrote: »
    Everyone who knew she held those views and continued to voluntarily associate with her should be fucking ashamed. Like they say, you got one nazi and nine people who happily hang with the nazi, well

This is spot on.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    So, Referendum preliminary results announced in NZ:

The End of Life choices act is massively ahead, with 65.8% voting Yes. So, it looks like the bill will be in force within 12 months.

For Cannabis Legalization, things are less good - 46.1% Yes, 53.9% No. Basically, the remaining special votes (about 500k) will have to have a large margin supporting for this to pass, which is unfortunate.

Still, on balance, this is an excellent result. Having watched a family friend die over the last 12 months of cancer, knowing since the original diagnosis Christmas last year that the end was inevitable, and in particular dealing with the last 2 months of their fight, then attending their funeral on Wednesday, I am incredibly relieved that others will at least be able to make a choice.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Damn, that’s a shame about the marijuana referendum. Even if they won’t legalise it, they should at least decriminalise it!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    I mean if America ends up decriminalising I wouldn't be surprised to see a bill pop up in the next year or two anyway

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    And medical marijuana is happening, yes or no, so I expect it's a only stepping stone to full legalisation.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Amusingly, there's actually better supported studies on the benefits of legalisation than there is medicinal benefits.

Mostly because it's really hard to do broad medical-evidence studies on something that has mostly been prohibited.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.