As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Will we recognise right wing media for the threat to democracy it is before it’s too late?

Given that it's what most Australians consume, who's going to tell the public?

Murdoch might not have gotten the same level of extreme here that he got in the US, but he more than makes up for it in saturation.

And it's clear the current government isn't going to do shit, and a Labor government would probably not.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Cases continue to rise and the ham fisted, half-assed measures that they keep trying are failing.

How long and how many infections until they realize doing the same thing over and over doesn't work?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Cases continue to rise and the ham fisted, half-assed measures that they keep trying are failing.

How long and how many infections until they realize doing the same thing over and over doesn't work?

But if they change course, people could say they were wrong. Even more so if they change to doing something someone else suggested first.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    As a Victorian, just glad that all businesses are open, but me visiting my mother having not seen her for six months*, is off the table.

* Not just Covid, but work being hectic. But got my first real break outside of a lockdown and it's the one real restriction left in place.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Will we recognise right wing media for the threat to democracy it is before it’s too late?

Nope.

Aww shucks

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    As a Victorian, just glad that all businesses are open, but me visiting my mother having not seen her for six months*, is off the table.

* Not just Covid, but work being hectic. But got my first real break outside of a lockdown and it's the one real restriction left in place.

It is kind of bizarre that theoretically I can't have people around for a game night (I agree with this, it's fine) but if I book a table we can go to a bar with 96 other people and play there.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

They had a crisis meeting this morning to do economic modelling for a lockdown stretching until September.

This is going to get so bad.

• Options
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/cash-for-jabs-labor-leader-anthony-albanese-calls-for-300-vaccine-incentive-payments/news-story/86e0a5a38d534959685fb38b31eebcea
    "Cash for jabs: Vaccine lottery could still be on the table for vaccinated Australians
    Australians could soon be offered lottery prizes and other incentives to encourage adults to get vaccinated as soon as they can."

Oh, I'm fucking done with these guys. Both sides.

You know what I'd settle for, rather than $300 cash, or the chance to win a lottery, as a reward for getting vaccinated?

BEING ABLE TO GET FUCKING VACCINATED!

It's been fucking months since my age group, 40-49, has been "eligible" to be vaccinated, and between a whole bunch of different circumstances ranging from restrictions (aged care only for a while), to rationing (Pfizer shortages), to weather*, I still haven't been able to get one.

* I don't have a car, and the one time there were no restrictions or rationing, it was raining, and the "expected wait time" for the three sites nearest me, was 90 minutes, and given social distancing, meant being outside. Stand outside for 90 minutes, and "Do you have any symptoms" is gonna be yes, because I've been standing outside in the rain for 90 minutes.

Make it easy, make it available, and I'll fucking get it.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, cash incentives is like, way down list of motivators:

People who say they'd be more likely to get vaccinated if they got $100 cash: 14%

People who say they'd be more likely to get vaccinated if available from their physician: 46%

Required to fly: 41%

Required for large gatherings: 40%

Smart incentives matter. So does trust.

{image of 'What may motivate the unvacccinated to get a shot' with survey results from NYtimes.com}

Tweeter appears to be local government official from California.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Finally, got a booking for my first shot.

Earliest they had available was the end of the month.

feels like I registered for this waiting list a lifetime ago.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ACT Pfizer bookings for the 30-39 age group opened up yesterday.
    So they sent texts to everyone and their website melted.
    But after half a day of hitting F5, I managed to secure a first shot for.. mid next month.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/cash-for-jabs-labor-leader-anthony-albanese-calls-for-300-vaccine-incentive-payments/news-story/86e0a5a38d534959685fb38b31eebcea
    "Cash for jabs: Vaccine lottery could still be on the table for vaccinated Australians
    Australians could soon be offered lottery prizes and other incentives to encourage adults to get vaccinated as soon as they can."

Oh, I'm fucking done with these guys. Both sides.

You know what I'd settle for, rather than $300 cash, or the chance to win a lottery, as a reward for getting vaccinated?

BEING ABLE TO GET FUCKING VACCINATED!

It's been fucking months since my age group, 40-49, has been "eligible" to be vaccinated, and between a whole bunch of different circumstances ranging from restrictions (aged care only for a while), to rationing (Pfizer shortages), to weather*, I still haven't been able to get one.

* I don't have a car, and the one time there were no restrictions or rationing, it was raining, and the "expected wait time" for the three sites nearest me, was 90 minutes, and given social distancing, meant being outside. Stand outside for 90 minutes, and "Do you have any symptoms" is gonna be yes, because I've been standing outside in the rain for 90 minutes.

Make it easy, make it available, and I'll fucking get it.

Walk-in Astrazeneca is available from some GPs in Sydney. Two doses separated by 6 weeks is good protection from being killed by COVID Delta. Better is if you can get an AZ and follow it up with a Pfizer.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Based on the “ummm, actually” coming from some industries, venues, and countries, I would think that one over.

Don’t get me wrong, the best covid vaccine is the one that is available now, but as a Hybrid Astrizer recipient myself, it’s a bit jarring to see articles now and then where the above opine that I’m not, like, vaccinated vaccinated, maaaaan.

Hopefully that’ll all get sorted out, and I hope Aus/NZ/etc get sufficient supply soon.

But I got the mix based on such advice and studies, and while I’m not traveling anytime soon, it is an asterisk that might cause some snags down the road.

Maybe the answer will just be getting a second Pfizer shot, but with so many nations struggling to get any supply at all, getting a third (without actual medical necessity) would be a dick move.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Aaaand Victoria, literally nine days after the last lockdown (and while still under some restrictions) , is back in lockdown for a week.

I blame @Forar

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Forar wrote: »
    Based on the “ummm, actually” coming from some industries, venues, and countries, I would think that one over.

Don’t get me wrong, the best covid vaccine is the one that is available now, but as a Hybrid Astrizer recipient myself, it’s a bit jarring to see articles now and then where the above opine that I’m not, like, vaccinated vaccinated, maaaaan.

Hopefully that’ll all get sorted out, and I hope Aus/NZ/etc get sufficient supply soon.

But I got the mix based on such advise and studies, and while I’m not traveling anytime soon, it is an asterisk that might cause some snags down the road.

Maybe the answer will just be getting a second Pfizer shot, but with so many nations struggling to get any supply at all, getting a third (without actual medical necessity) would be a dick move.

That's a little weird cos I thought mixing it was supposed to be better than either alone?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Me and the missus have been feeling under the weather and got tested today, prompted by the press conference this morning where a doctor pointed out that with the low levels of other colds circulating at the moment (since lockdowns have been killing those off too), if you're feeling sick, its actually MORE likely to be the Rona than anything else. So get fucking tested. Now.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

But I got the mix based on such advise and studies, and while I’m not traveling anytime soon, it is an asterisk that might cause some snags down the road.

At current dosing rates everyone in the world can have a shot every 190 ish days. It’s only so slow right now because everyone is getting two. There will be plenty of doses available by November for boosters and whatnot by which point traveling hopefully will be ok again.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Me and the missus have been feeling under the weather and got tested today, prompted by the press conference this morning where a doctor pointed out that with the low levels of other colds circulating at the moment (since lockdowns have been killing those off too), if you're feeling sick, its actually MORE likely to be the Rona than anything else. So get fucking tested. Now.

I’ve had a sore throat on and off for a couple of weeks, so when 2 weeks ago the missus went shopping and an alert came up for that exact time, we both got tested.

Luckily, negative.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    My body is allergic to random things at random times, probably due to having mild asthma and general low level allergies.

So I'll get random "colds" where i just feel tired and whatnot, get a cough, a sniffle, at least once a month. Probably cause of my asthma, when I get a cough, it's a hacking cough that lasts a whole day.

I've had over 20 covid tests. Always negative. At this point, I just take Dymista every day. It's a prescription nasal spray intended to stop my body from trying to expel the universe from my sinuses. It costs a fair amount per bottle but it's just easier to pay and take it until this is over and nobody is going to panic when I get another one of my little coughs.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

That's a little weird cos I thought mixing it was supposed to be better than either alone?

That's my understanding as well, and part of what led me to go with the hybrid approach, rather than just getting a second AZ shot.

This is more shared for those with family, friends, or travel interests abroad. While it might not be pertinent now, it might be down the road.

Now, down the road, maybe those countries and whatnot will see the light, we'll have the science to back it up that being hybrid vaxxed is fine, or other research will dictate that a simple booster will complete the circle or whatever.

But as something that could have an impact potentially years down the road, I thought I'd mention it. It may be solved years down the road, or it could be a thorn in ones side, especially for those who found themselves hit pretty hard by the vaccine. The idea of needing to go through another round or two of that unnecessarily would be frustrating.

Not to inspire doubt or dissuade folks from getting shots asap, just something that I'm running into now. Travel to the US isn't permitted, and will be revisited on August 21st for non-essential Canadian jaunts. I'm not exactly in a rush, but I had been considering a trek within the quarter, if things look reasonable enough (which is looking like it might not be the case anyways).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Oh yay, Gladys is now saying we may have to live with COVID-19.

Which means internally they're trying to decide when to just throw the doors open.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think the dream of elimination has gone right out the window. We'll have to live with it sooner or later. Although I'm in favour of closed borders in the long term because they've benefits beyond controlling covid.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think the dream of elimination has gone right out the window. We'll have to live with it sooner or later. Although I'm in favour of closed borders in the long term because they've benefits beyond controlling covid.

Sure, the problem is I don't want the government saying that. The government says that when they're planning to do absolutely nothing, and vaccine availability still sucks.

• Options

Which means internally they're trying to decide when to just throw the doors open.

q2phdlscd4t9.jpg
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Sure, the problem is I don't want the government saying that. The government says that when they're planning to do absolutely nothing, and vaccine availability still sucks.

What the government needs to say is "Look, we know there are risks involved with the Astrazeneca vaccine, but given the increased infectiousness and lethality of the Delta strain we want everybody not yet eligible for Pfizer to try and get themselves at least one shot of AZ anyway while they're waiting."

They won't do this though, because when inevitably someone else dies of Astrazeneca blood clots the headline would be "The government told us to get AZ and we did now my mum's dead". Its political suicide to say "Yes, we did this knowing that people would probably die" even if its ultimately to save more people. Because politics.

• Options

My guess is they will use that excuse to open up some time before Christmas, to get a nice big cash injection into the economy as everyone floods shopping centres to get Christmas presents and supplies, then act shocked when cases soar and lock down again claiming ignorance.

I mean, I hope they don’t. But I expect they will.

• Options
    WHY THE GOD DAMN FUCKING HELL ARE WE A YEAR AND HALF INTO THE FUCKING PANDEMIC AND IN THE TIME WE'VE HAD NOT ENOUGH VACCINES NO ONE IN GOVERNMENT HAS CREATED THE CONCEPT OF A STAND-BY LIST FOR PEOPLE TO GET VACCINATED, BUT THEY FIRED A NURSE BECAUSE SHE GAVE LEFT OVER DOSES TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY RATHER THEN LITERALLY TOSSING THEM IN THE BIN?

Because I have been double AZ'd but no GP wants to give it to Bulgarian girl, who is pregnant now and thanks to Delta being double AZ'd is basically useless for being able to safely wander the community. Meanwhile, all the vaccine elegibility checkers and other BS have the ultimate seeming goal of ensuring people don't yell at the government because holy fucking hell do they do nothing to inform me where and who has the vaccine available.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The website for checking what vaccine is available where is atrocious. First, you need to book your first spot. Then, you need to book your second spot. If you managed to book a first spot but there's no second available, you're stuck in limbo of not being able to even complete the booking of the first on the site.

Then, if you manage to book both, you need to click on each available place they list, one by one, to see what they have available. We managed to book ourselves in for Pfizer based on medical conditions, but holy fucking hell did they make it so very, very hard to actually be able to choose your vaccine.

Which makes sense given how all-in the government went on AZ, but some an accessibility point of view, it's fucking atrocious design. Just have a filter option at the top of the list.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    In Sydney, as far as I can tell, there just is no Pfizer. Every single place is 13 weeks delayed. The only option to get it sooner would be if someone cancels or no shows, but there's just no ability to be on that list either because the list doesn't exist.

Also the entire site seems to run a potato.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    In Sydney, as far as I can tell, there just is no Pfizer. Every single place is 13 weeks delayed. The only option to get it sooner would be if someone cancels or no shows, but there's just no ability to be on that list either because the list doesn't exist.

We do what we must because we can

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Fencingsax wrote: »

We do what we must because we can

Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line on the floor. You'll know when the test starts.

Presumably this is how you lay claim to someone else's second shot though.

discrider on
  • Options

Yeah out booking is like mid-October, which I assume is about when they're expecting an influx of Pfizer doses.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    ScoMo just announced Moderna has been approved by the TGA, and we'll be getting 25 million doses by the end of the year. From the sound of it, it's arriving in waves starting around October.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Also saw that Moderna is looking at running trials on kids down to 6mo here at some point soon, according to their annual report via the ABC.
    Hadn't been approved yet though, by the TGA or whatever the responsible agency is for drug trials is.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    ScoMo just announced Moderna has been approved by the TGA, and we'll be getting 25 million doses by the end of the year. From the sound of it, it's arriving in waves starting around October.

Ahh, a ScoMo promise that includes a timeline.

Now I'm reassured!

No. The other thing.

• Options
    I think we're also expecting to get Novavax at some point in the near future, which I don't hear anybody talking about for except the occasional article online that pops up to say "Yep, they're still working on it". In theory it could be a game-changer though since we've already pre-purchased enough doses for the entire population.
    WHY THE GOD DAMN FUCKING HELL ARE WE A YEAR AND HALF INTO THE FUCKING PANDEMIC AND IN THE TIME WE'VE HAD NOT ENOUGH VACCINES NO ONE IN GOVERNMENT HAS CREATED THE CONCEPT OF A STAND-BY LIST FOR PEOPLE TO GET VACCINATED, BUT THEY FIRED A NURSE BECAUSE SHE GAVE LEFT OVER DOSES TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY RATHER THEN LITERALLY TOSSING THEM IN THE BIN?

Um... what? Link? Last I checked standard procedure is that they can absolutely give leftover doses to friends and family at the end of the day, my boss said he was walking past a mass vaccination hub as they were closing a few weeks back and they were literally grabbing randos off the street and asking if they wanted to get Pfizer. That's basically how I got mine. While I can understand concerns of nepotism and people "queue jumping", realistically, who else are the clinics going to be able to get at short notice? Vaccines become unusable fast once they're out of the freezer, so they need people who can be there within 20-30 minutes. It sounds like the place I went to (now I don't want to say where for fear that they've actually broken some kind of law) had their own informal "stand-by list" of patients who weren't necessarily eligible, but did live less than 20 minutes away and could get to the hospital on short notice.
    Because I have been double AZ'd but no GP wants to give it to Bulgarian girl, who is pregnant now and thanks to Delta being double AZ'd is basically useless for being able to safely wander the community. Meanwhile, all the vaccine elegibility checkers and other BS have the ultimate seeming goal of ensuring people don't yell at the government because holy fucking hell do they do nothing to inform me where and who has the vaccine available.

I'm assuming you mean because Delta is so infectious that it can basically spread from one person to another before your immune system has even noticed it, but how is AZ unique in that regard?

• Options
    AZ is a fair number of percentage points worse at dealing with delta than pfizer, last I checked.

Still way better than having nothing of course.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I think we're also expecting to get Novavax at some point in the near future, which I don't hear anybody talking about for except the occasional article online that pops up to say "Yep, they're still working on it". In theory it could be a game-changer though since we've already pre-purchased enough doses for the entire population.

Um... what? Link? Last I checked standard procedure is that they can absolutely give leftover doses to friends and family at the end of the day, my boss said he was walking past a mass vaccination hub as they were closing a few weeks back and they were literally grabbing randos off the street and asking if they wanted to get Pfizer. That's basically how I got mine. While I can understand concerns of nepotism and people "queue jumping", realistically, who else are the clinics going to be able to get at short notice? Vaccines become unusable fast once they're out of the freezer, so they need people who can be there within 20-30 minutes. It sounds like the place I went to (now I don't want to say where for fear that they've actually broken some kind of law) had their own informal "stand-by list" of patients who weren't necessarily eligible, but did live less than 20 minutes away and could get to the hospital on short notice.

The one I could see said that the normal process was to see whether any patients in the hospital wanted the vaccine before sticking it in family members etc.

discrider on
  • Options

I'm assuming you mean because Delta is so infectious that it can basically spread from one person to another before your immune system has even noticed it, but how is AZ unique in that regard?

My wife is pregnant, and AZ is not approved or even be trialed for pregnant women - and GPs will not recommend or offer it. So the problem is, I'll be fine, she won't be - so despite me being vaccinated we can't even really risk exposure at the moment.

As for the nurse: https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/sacked-nurse-gave-family-leftover-pfizer-c-3572882

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Hate to be the guy bringing everyone down, but I said privately a while ago and now I'll say publically that it looks pretty unlikely that NSW will be able to succeed with elimination. I've seen how delta spreads here in Thailand. The government, plus some portion of the people, in NSW seem unwilling to take the extreme measures required.

So for how long is it possible for other Australian states to hold out? NSW is the largest, most interconnected and most economically integrated state in the federation. Looks to me like the effects on the nation's coherence and spirit is going to get a lot worse from here. The parochialism on display is already awful and I worry about how much worse it's going to get.

Blah. If only I had the willpower to go on a news and social media fast.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Oh everyone in Australia is getting Delta at this point. I think the government is trying to keep a lid on it for long enough that they can vaccinate there way out of this - but unless they go hard on "get vaccinated or we start removing privileges" there's a full 30% of the population who's just not going to.

electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.