As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    NSW wont stop Delta, they don't have the guts to do any harder of a lockdown than this. They've switched to blaming their own citizens instead, since clearly it's not their fault.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    To be fair, some of the citizens absolutely are at fault. Just from the people I know, I've heard about people ignoring restrictions for no other reason than they want to. Like not even because they're anti vaxxers or anti government or are daring the government, it's just because they want to.

Also, it sounds like Berejiklian has given up too. She's just waiting on vaccination rates to climb before lifting restrictions. Last number I heard was 50%, which sounds suicidal, but you know. Economy.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Sure lots of people don't give a fuck, but click and collect is still allowed, so people get to congregate in front of the retail stores gates while they wait for their packages, indoors. And various other "this is obviously a stupid thing to do" that they're just letting go ahead because muh economy.

They're doing a lot of "we trust people's common sense" which is hilarious because it shows how little of it they have.

The funniest thing about giving up is they tried that in other countries and it didn't work. The economy wasn't saved. It crashed anyway. Turns out when cases are in the tens of thousands enough people are afraid of going out and buying things that the economy can't be sustained who would have known?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    PAX Australia has been canceled, which is the correct decision even if it’s a really hard one to make.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Sure lots of people don't give a fuck, but click and collect is still allowed, so people get to congregate in front of the retail stores gates while they wait for their packages, indoors. And various other "this is obviously a stupid thing to do" that they're just letting go ahead because muh economy.

They're doing a lot of "we trust people's common sense" which is hilarious because it shows how little of it they have.

The funniest thing about giving up is they tried that in other countries and it didn't work. The economy wasn't saved. It crashed anyway. Turns out when cases are in the tens of thousands enough people are afraid of going out and buying things that the economy can't be sustained who would have known?

This is exactly what pisses me off the most about the "muh economy" crowd. Even if you're the most self-centered egotistical jerk alive and care nothing for the plight of the poor plebs who are going to die because of your poor decision making... you're going to fuck the economy anyway. Because surprise surprise, lots of people getting dead or hospitalized, or at the very least taking sick days at the same time is also bad for the economy and the dead are notoriously miserly.
    Solvent wrote: »
    Hate to be the guy bringing everyone down, but I said privately a while ago and now I'll say publically that it looks pretty unlikely that NSW will be able to succeed with elimination. I've seen how delta spreads here in Thailand. The government, plus some portion of the people, in NSW seem unwilling to take the extreme measures required.

So for how long is it possible for other Australian states to hold out? NSW is the largest, most interconnected and most economically integrated state in the federation. Looks to me like the effects on the nation's coherence and spirit is going to get a lot worse from here. The parochialism on display is already awful and I worry about how much worse it's going to get.

Blah. If only I had the willpower to go on a news and social media fast.

Yeah, I really think Rona has broken a lot of people. Everyone is mad and while we can all agree that those fuckers are responsible, we've split into very different camps according to who we think "those fuckers" are. Typically its whoever you were already predisposed to not like very much.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’ve had lots of conversations with a guy at work who thinks we shouldn’t have locked down because Economy.

It always cycled back to ‘but if people are dead, they’re not paying back into the economy forever’ and I got the standard ‘yeah it’s a tough decision’.

Absolutely would not side with stopping people from dying. The economy was more important, even if there was no one left alive to keep it working.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    NZ is doing fucking awesome with our horrible, no good, draconian, tyrannical (I’m being sarcastic to be clear) lockdowns. We should be doing a far better job looking after our frontline workers than we are, but I’ll take what I can get at this stage

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Anyway, Census night.
    Time to see how bad the underemployment actually is, with people staying home with kids due to the pandemic and then not going back into the workforce due to lack of federal government action on anything.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ugh, I wish I'd remembered to share this information here before it was too late, but apparently if you're non-religious its important to put "no religion" on the form and not "Jedi" or "Pastafarian" or whatever, because certain groups like to use the census statistics to "prove" that Australia is a "religious nation" based on the fact that most people still pick something other than "no religion".

Also, my partner and I found it a little bullshit that under gender the "non-binary" option was fucking hidden. By default only "male" and "female" checkboxes were visible, to get the "non-binary" option you would have to notice that there was a link in the explanation text you had to click to enable the button to even appear.
    Solvent wrote: »

Those numbers are... interesting. I was about to comment something along the lines of "how the fuck are there 30% fewer unemployed people than this time last year" when I remembered that last year was 2020 and it is in fact 2021.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    There was one census question that going to interesting when it's all collated, the "How did you travel to work on the 10th?" when the majority of population centres are under some form of lockdown.

• Options
    I did find it amusing that picking some of the answers to the census questions would mean confessing to breaking lockdown orders. No, no member of this household is away. We fucking wish we could be away...

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I did find it amusing that picking some of the answers to the census questions would mean confessing to breaking lockdown orders. No, no member of this household is away. We fucking wish we could be away...

Yeah we did ours early, which is allowed as long as you know where you will be on the night of the census.

Where the fuck else would I be?

• Options
    Not necessarily. Some people are stuck in places other than their homes right now.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    My girlfriend for example lives at her father's place at the moment while she's studying as it's really close to classes (when we're not in lockdown and they're on but is allowed to and often drives down to stay the night.

But yes, probably not a lot of that happening right now.

• Options
    ACT in hard lockdown for 7 days from 5pm today.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

It's somewhat hilarious this has even happened. Place is surrounded by NSW on all sides, theoretically if we weren't being stupid about it, COVID shouldn't be able to get in.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    ah well. We had a good run. Sewerage reports are saying that there are covid samples in about 6 different places. We've got it and it's been here for a while, it seems.

7 day lock down...I'm going to hedge my bets and say we might be out of it by xmas.

• Options

It's somewhat hilarious this has even happened. Place is surrounded by NSW on all sides, theoretically if we weren't being stupid about it, COVID shouldn't be able to get in.

Well see here's the thing about that...

• Options
    ah well. We had a good run. Sewerage reports are saying that there are covid samples in about 6 different places. We've got it and it's been here for a while, it seems.

7 day lock down...I'm going to hedge my bets and say we might be out of it by xmas.

Looking at the locations and sewerage plants, looks like all the samples could be from this one guy who got COVID from ????
    So it's not necessarily widespread, and hopefully the lockdown reduces the number of positive water readings.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Looking at the locations and sewerage plants, looks like all the samples could be from this one guy who got COVID from ????
    So it's not necessarily widespread, and hopefully the lockdown reduces the number of positive water readings.

I doubt it: Delta takes on the outside 24 hours to become contagious. It'll be everywhere soon enough.

• Options
    edited August 2021

I doubt it: Delta takes on the outside 24 hours to become contagious. It'll be everywhere soon enough.

Well
    This guy looks to have been in pubs and clubs with no clear contact with Sydney
    So I'm assuming he picked it up on the weekend and became symptomatic during the week but yeah.

They only detected it in the water yesterday.

discrider on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Just reading about how NZ's plan is so impressive. It's really interesting seeing a country's leadership seeming to just do what needs to be done to keep their populace healthy.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular

Well
    This guy looks to have been in pubs and clubs with no clear contact with Sydney
    So I'm assuming he picked it up on the weekend and became symptomatic during the week but yeah.

They only detected it in the water yesterday.

Yep, which is somewhat troubling actually - if they only picked it up in the water yesterday and he's been infectious in the community for a while, then either he's been all over the city (which he had a bit, judging from the exposure sites) or he's exposed a few people and they've also gone everywhere across the city.

My bet is that when the construction industry closed in Sydney, someone infectious from there went regional and came into contact with this feller here in Canberra and it has gone from there.

I have to admit my heart sank a bit when I saw that he was in a night club while infectious and then today, a student at Gold Creek was also at school while infectious. That's only down the road from me and we see those kids at the local shops any time of the day. Can't see the initial 7 day lockdown sorting this out, but I am glad we seem to be hitting it and hitting it hard.

• Options
    466 cases and 4 deaths overnight has led to NSW entirely going into lockdown.

It’s going great here, guys.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Not holding out much hope for Wellington home games in the A-league this season, that's for sure.

Or any games at all, at the rate they're going.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I thought I had seen the extent of the mismanagement and failure of leadership from Gladys, but announcing a statewide lockdown with 2 hours notice via a press release and a twitter message really takes the cake.

Fucking hell.

• Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I thought I had seen the extent of the mismanagement and failure of leadership from Gladys, but announcing a statewide lockdown with 2 hours notice via a press release and a twitter message really takes the cake.

Fucking hell.

She hasn’t liked fronting media on bad days and has sent Chant and Hazzard to the wolves, so this at least tracks with her behaviour.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Fucking hell.

She hasn’t liked fronting media on bad days and has sent Chant and Hazzard to the wolves, so this at least tracks with her behavior.

Not how effective leadership or messaging works, unfortunately.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Fucking hell.

She hasn’t liked fronting media on bad days and has sent Chant and Hazzard to the wolves, so this at least tracks with her behavior.

Not how effective leadership or messaging works, unfortunately.

If it were effective, she wouldn't do it, is the impression I get of her.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I did the thing!
    qdt473mguu0x.png

Now we just need another 20 million people to do the same...

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    =_=
    Only another month to go, and waiting for the results of this casual milk run contact

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Well, it appears that there is a community case in Auckland, about which a grand total of nothing is currently released.

Likely there will be a briefing tonight, I'm guessing?

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Delta is now the dominant variant most places, so, here we go, I guess.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ahem

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

• Options
    Ahem

This should really have been the Radio NZ headline, for the information that they provided.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Ahem

This should really have been the Radio NZ headline, for the information that they provided.

You mean, that's not what it said?

cause it's what I read.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I remain cautiously optimistic.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This will be interesting to see if we learned from Australia's mistake or not.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
This discussion has been closed.