As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You got some peanuts and some spare time?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah I was thinking about feeding them and maybe training them to carry me away like the Pigeon Man from Hey Arnold

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Better start training some spiders too, then; regular string isn’t strong enough given the surface area available for attachments.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Also, if anyone is interested:

How to Befriend Crows

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Twitter text:
    OKLAHOMA EARTHQUAKE TREND:

What a drop we've had since our record-breaking 2015! So far in 2021... not a single tremor has topped 3.0 magnitude!

Twitter image: a graph showing a rapid drop in earthquakes over 3.0 magnitude in Oklahoma from 887 in 2015 to 272 in 2017 and 26 in 2020.

Citation: FOX 23 is a local news station in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

For those of you keeping track at home, Oklahoma started instituting new regulations for fracking-related injection wells midway through 2015.

Human activity caused earthquakes powerful enough to knock down brick buildings for several years, and for a while there we were the most tectonically active area in America.

Jesus fuck. Humans are scary.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »

Twitter text:

For those of you keeping track at home, Oklahoma started instituting new regulations for fracking-related injection wells midway through 2015.

Human activity caused earthquakes powerful enough to knock down brick buildings for several years, and for a while there we were the most tectonically active area in America.

Jesus fuck. Humans are scary.

Edit: I need to read better

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah now all the earthquakes have moved to Wichita.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    These Pools Help Support Half The People On Earth 19:23
    https://youtu.be/YMDJA4UvXLA
    What are these electric blue ponds in the middle of the Utah desert? And why do they keep changing color?

Join Derek Muller (Veritasium) as he looks into the weird, bizarre, and seemingly inexplicable images found on Google Earth to discover what on Earth they actually are.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    That video editing irritates me but the subject is interesting.

The answer if you, like me, find the video irritating:
    they are industrial scale evaporating pools for getting potash out of water that wood ash has been soaked in. Potash is an important source of elemental potassium used to make fertilizer.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah I usually like Derek's videos but that one is super fucking grating, between the absolutely inexplicable dubstep and the bizarre animations. As you said though, neat subject if you can push through all the poor editing choices!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Yo BahamutZERO no disrespect but you didn't finish the video and your spoiler is pretty misleading because of that, the answer is from 8:52 and how they mine it now is from 14:00 onwards

Why didn’t this 2,000 year old body decompose? - Carolyn Marshall 4:59 It may not appear very lively six feet underground, but a single teaspoon of soil contains more organisms than there are human beings on the planet. From bacteria and algae to fungi and protozoa, soils are home to one quarter of Earth’s biodiversity. And perhaps soil’s most important inhabitants are its microbes. Carolyn Marshall digs into how soil’s invisible helpers support all life on Earth.

Lesson by Carolyn Marshall, directed by Ivana Bošnjak and Thomas Johnson.

Morbid but a pretty fascinating watch, I enjoy the Claymation a lot

Peas on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I wish I was better friends with the crows that live in my development

Just give them stuff, they remember faces.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I wish I was better friends with the crows that live in my development

Just give them stuff, they remember faces.

I tried telling my kiddo that, but she gets annoyed at all the ruckus of their cawing in the huge groups found in our neighborhood and yells at them sometimes instead to quiet down.

Every time she does it, a voice in my head says, "They'll remember this."

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The lessons of nature are harsh but beautiful.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    This 3.2 cm diameter Plutonium-238 oxide sphere produces 100 Watts (thermal), without any external energy input — simply as a result of radioactive decay. https://t.co/Aofmx3lKqG

• Options
    > Lick the sphere (Y/N) ?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Would you luck an 100 Watts incandescent light bulb? At 5 percent efficiency that is pretty close. You can fry an egg on it.

• Options
    I said I'm thinking about it, quit jogging my elbow.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    The Perseverance rover is scheduled to land on Mars at 3:55 p.m. EST (12:55 p.m. PST) today, NASA is covering the landing live on their YouTube channel, which I've linked below. Perseverance's primary mission is looking for evidence of ancient microbial life in Jezero crater, which appears to have at one point in the distant past been filled with water.

Perseverance also carries a drone helicopter called Ingenuity that will be used to scout areas of interest and help Perseverance find the best routes for travel across the Martian landscape.

https://youtu.be/21X5lGlDOfg

jgeis on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So like how long would you need to be near that evil magic deathball before you started to feel bad

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So like how long would you need to be near that evil magic deathball before you started to feel bad

Apparently it is only harmful if inhaled or ingested. So long as you washed your hands afterward you should be able to touch it?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Youre telling me that being in the unshielded presence of that red hot ball of plutonium would not be bad

• Options
    Youre telling me that being in the unshielded presence of that red hot ball of plutonium would not be bad

it would actually be super good for you, probably

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Apparently it is only harmful if inhaled or ingested. So long as you washed your hands afterward you should be able to touch it?

So frying that egg is fine but eating it would be one of those last meals

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Just to be clear here it is not a ball of solid plutonium, because that would spontaneously explode (a 5 cm radius sphere of plutonium is already over its critical mass).

• Options
    edited February 2021
    but did you consider all the bad things that could happen if you didn't lick the red hot plutonium ball

Brolo on
  • Options
    I have to say that Thomas is great, would love to see him answering more questions on Mars

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    but did you consider all the bad things that could happen if you didn't lick the red hot plutonium ball

You'd be giving up one of the classic comic book sources of super powers, for one.
    "Licked radioactive materials" has got to be right behind "alien super science" and "my parents are deeead, but I'm suuuuper rich" on the old How'd you get your powers chart.

• Options
    Is everyone else getting weird choppy video on the NASA feed? I've been trying to troubleshoot from my end, but it seems like it might be a problem with the feed.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm watching the direct mission control feed. In which you get to hear a bunch of people saying "GO!" in sequence and it makes me very jazzed every time.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm watching the direct mission control feed. In which you get to hear a bunch of people saying "GO!" in sequence and it makes me very jazzed every time.

https://youtu.be/BHIo6qwJarI

• Options
    I'm a bit surprised that a drone could work in Mars' crappy nothing atmosphere come to think of it

• Options

link!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Sadly I can't have this on for the duration of my class, but I am absolutely going to stop one of the activities early so the whole class can watch the control center during the landing.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm a bit surprised that a drone could work in Mars' crappy nothing atmosphere come to think of it

you just gotta go faster

... this sounds like a shitpost but no it's actually how it works, the stall speed is just much higher than in thicker atmospheres.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    -

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

So frying that egg is fine but eating it would be one of those last meals

Plutonium decays primarily via alpha decay, which is stopped by clothing or, in the case of your internal organs, your skin. That does not mean it is good for your skin, but it is easy to shield yourself from the radiation. If you decided to be adventurous and consume it, your internal organs would be directly exposed to the radiation and bad things would happen.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.