As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Midterms 2018: You may now breathe.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Around here the only third party we get is Libertarian, so it's a moot point, but I love how 90% of the liberal discourse around voting is "Go vote for the least bad candidate. No not that one, the Democrat."

The Democrat is always the least bad candidate.

Absolutely not true.

Outside of primary elections, it’s more or less true for elections in the US.

Disagree, anyone can get on the ballot as a third party

And they will lose until our system changes. They aren't the best candidate because they will lose. Their stances are basically immaterial until they can manage a W.

It's why ranked choice voting is absolutely the best improvement we can make to our system as a whole. I think it definitely results in third parties being able to put up Ws more frequently because I think more people would put them at the top of the list with a major party candidate second.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Around here the only third party we get is Libertarian, so it's a moot point, but I love how 90% of the liberal discourse around voting is "Go vote for the least bad candidate. No not that one, the Democrat."

Absolutely not true.

Absolutely true.

Pick your democrat in a primary but in a general all Republicans are outright terrible or will cave to the hive mind and all third party candidates are just a short sighted wasted vote that accomplishes nothing but empowering the wrong people.

A lot of people don't like Joe Manchin, but Joe Manchin would not vote for Mitch McConnell to be Senate Majority leader.
    I fucking hated that Phil Bredeson put out a statement in support of Kavanaugh but what am I to do? Not vote or vote for Blackburn?

Jill Stein got more votes than the difference between Hillary and Trump in Michigan and in Pennsylvania and very nearly more than the difference between them in Wisconsin, Gary Johnson absolutely did in all three. The shortsighted ignorance of their voters and people who did not vote put us in the situation we are in today. They are why we are fucked for a generation with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. They are why we are torturing immigrants and people seeking refugee status and asylum.

If you aren't voting for a Democrat then you're voting for a Republican one way or another. You want them in charge. There's no way around it. That may mean voting for someone you don't think is perfect and I know that feels frustrating, but that is just the effective political reality that you are living in.

i think people who voted for trump probably bear more responsibility here than third party voters

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Like to be clear, that sanctimonious "it's time for some game theory" lecturing on how if you don't vote for a democrat (who for a lot of the people you're sneering at, will not be substantially better than the republican) you are de facto voting Republican (which isn't even really accurate) is one of the biggest reasons why people say "fuck it, I'm not voting then." You're not going to win anyone over with that shit. "Your vote doesn't matter, so vote my way instead" is not the sales pitch you think it is.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    But why blame the racists when you can blame the real monsters, idealists

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

The racists depend on the idealists being suckers to stay in power.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Absolutely not true.

The shortsighted ignorance of their voters and people who did not vote put us in the situation we are in today. They are why we are fucked for a generation with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. They are why we are torturing immigrants and people seeking refugee status and asylum.

If you aren't voting for a Democrat then you're voting for a Republican one way or another. You want them in charge.

Putting aside the rest of your post and the fact I think Jill Stein and Gary Johnson are terrible politicians; this is objectively not true.

People voting third party are not the reason we have Trump in office, and it's absolutely not fair to blame them for all the fucked up nonsense this administration has gotten up to; we have Trump in office because the DNC mishandled the entire election cycle, Hillary's campaign made crucial mistakes in where to make their case in an ill-advised attempt to run up the score, and because the Democrats continued to alienate their base while relying on Trump's ineptitude to deliver them the White House. Not to mention the fact that the Electoral College is an outdated mess that actively undermines our democracy.

If you ignore tacit mistakes the Democrats made in 2016 and refuse to engage with long-term systemic problems in America related to how our political parties try to make their cases for election, then you might have a case that it's all a third party candidate's fault. And even then, it's still kind of a bullshit argument.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    When the three closest states that gave Trump the election had third party votes that vastly outnumbered the difference in votes between Clinton and Trump then it is intellectually dishonest to try and say that third party votes did not make the difference.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Do you realize that you are counterproductive to your cause?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

They don't "depend" on the 2% of the vote that gets siphoned off, they "depend" on the fucking 48% they get

Goodness you are being willfully silly

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Guilt tripping and told you so’s rarely are an effective tool to get people in your camp. Even when they are accurate, which here they are highly suspect at best.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Third party voters didn't vote for democrats because they didn't want to vote for democrats

Maybe democrats should have made more people want to vote for them

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I would place more blame of Democrat losses on ignoring or writing off large swathes of the country for ages before I would even think about third parties tbh

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    When the three closest states that gave Trump the election had third party votes that vastly outnumbered the difference in votes between Clinton and Trump then it is intellectually dishonest to try and say that third party votes did not make the difference.

I'm not saying third party votes didn't make the difference; I'm saying that even if they did, placing the entirety of the blame for our current political reality on people voting for third party candidates while ignoring larger systemic issues is irresponsible, if not outright childish.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Huh, the thread usually has a day or two of no interesting news before we drop back into this loop.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

Absolutely not true.

Outside of primary elections, it’s more or less true for elections in the US.

This is both moving the goalposts and wrong

It’s a clarification of a much broader point and absolutely not wrong.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    People vote third party for many reasons, many of them legitimate ones.

I can understand the concern about splitting the anti-fascist vote but there are other extremely practical concerns as well, like the Dems blithely assuming that anyone to the left of the GOP will hold their nose and vote for them so they don't need to progress their politics etc.

That's a big concern which has led to things like Pelosi quoting Reagan in her acceptance speech and saying they have to work with Trump because what're you gonna do, vote for someone else?

It's not just about this one election and its not a simple game. The Democrat party needs to earn your vote through good policy and leadership too, not sit on its laurels as the Next Worse Option. If you can vote to push them left to pick you up next time, that's a viable tactic.

The people on the further left, often the most vulnerable onea, are not interested in propping up Blue corporate Imperial America over Red Corporate Imperial America, they want another option. And they live the shit day in day out, these people are tough. Would you suck up four years of Trump to get in a genuine leftist or keep the neoliberal two party system going? Some people say "fuck it I'm going for the former" and that's a fair way to play.

Solar on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Absolutely not true.

Absolutely true.

Pick your democrat in a primary but in a general all Republicans are outright terrible or will cave to the hive mind and all third party candidates are just a short sighted wasted vote that accomplishes nothing but empowering the wrong people.

A lot of people don't like Joe Manchin, but Joe Manchin would not vote for Mitch McConnell to be Senate Majority leader.
    I fucking hated that Phil Bredeson put out a statement in support of Kavanaugh but what am I to do? Not vote or vote for Blackburn?

Jill Stein got more votes than the difference between Hillary and Trump in Michigan and in Pennsylvania and very nearly more than the difference between them in Wisconsin, Gary Johnson absolutely did in all three. The shortsighted ignorance of their voters and people who did not vote put us in the situation we are in today. They are why we are fucked for a generation with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. They are why we are torturing immigrants and people seeking refugee status and asylum.

If you aren't voting for a Democrat then you're voting for a Republican one way or another. You want them in charge. There's no way around it. That may mean voting for someone you don't think is perfect and I know that feels frustrating, but that is just the effective political reality that you are living in.

LM fucking AO, thank you for being the representative example for my original point.

everyone here has had this (unnecessarily, condescendingly) explained to them by thousands of finger-wagging democrats already

• Options
    Dems have built their whole message around "Hey, at least we're not Republicans," which isn't actually a unique message, which INVITES third parties to siphon votes because hey, they're not Republicans either

If they had a cohesive identity and goal other than "Be Not Republican," maybe it wouldn't be so easy for third parties to capture tens of thousands of votes at a time

Blaming people with no institutional power instead of the people with a fuckload of it is... Very dumb

• Options
    Do you realize that you are counterproductive to your cause?

I realize I'm not going to convince anyone who reliably votes third party because I know its really insulting and infuriating to hear.

They don't "depend" on the 2% of the vote that gets siphoned off, they "depend" on the fucking 48% they get

Goodness you are being willfully silly

No I am not. Swing states are called swing states for a reason. Does my vote in Tennessee effectively matter? No. I am confident Tennessee is going to reliably vote Republican by a huge margin. But look at states like Texas, Arizona, Georgia, and Florida this year.

Races are being decided by just tens of thousands of votes, even less. There are places where the margins are razor thin and everything matters from voter suppression, to non-voters, to third party voters. There's not much you can do about the first one, except elect Democrats. And the latter two don't help with that either.

So yes. Republicans absolutely love third party candidates that bleed idealistic votes away from Democrats because they aren't perfect enough.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I'd rather yell and scream and protest in the streets against voter id laws and GOP election fuckery than waste the slightest breath complaining about 3rd party votes.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I dunno seems if those are democratic voters then the democrats should work hard on getting them. They work real hard to get republicans to vote for them.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    By blaming third-parties for the loss of a candidate that didn't represent their interests to elect a different candidate that also didn't represent their interest is a good way to prop up the Democrats' continued refusal to seriously give a shit about marginalized people. They don't have to when marginalized folks continually get told that advocating for themselves is destroying the country.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Phasen wrote: »
    I dunno seems if those are democratic voters then the democrats should work hard on getting them. They work real hard to get republicans to vote for them.

At some point people have to take it upon their selves to look further than the end of their own nose when it comes to the reality of their government and who does what when they get into power.

• Options
    For the record I voted entirely down ballot Democrat. And Id wager probably a lot of folks bristling did too. Not all but yeah. This isn’t just third party voters criticizing here.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

At some point people have to take it upon their selves to look further than the end of their own nose when it comes to the reality of their government and who does what when they get into power.

This reeks of the "just wait your turn" argument and fuck everything about that

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options

You realize that talking down to marginalized folk about how they need to hold their nose and vote for the candidate you find personally acceptable is a real shitty thing to do, right?

I don't know you or your life circumstances super well, but I'm pretty sure telling other folks that they should vote for candidates who don't represent their interests because you find the alternative distasteful is not how our democracy is supposed to function.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    100% of the time, my response to a third party splitting the vote is going to be "shit, I guess the democrat should have worked harder at courting those voters"

since that is their job after all

Shorty on
  • Options

So are they idealist or cynical? Whatever fits to attack them in the moment I suppose.

• Options
    Remember when a bunch of typically-conservative Latinx voters turned out for Obama, for the Greater Good, and then he deported more people than any president in history

Dang these minorities and their stubborn refusal to see the big picture

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I don't know at all, because I was born a lucky bastard, but I'm guessing that the difference between living in some Conservative bible belt red state nightmare if you're gay or black or in a tribe or trans or want an abortion or whatever under Hillary, and living in the same place under Trump, is pretty minimal i.e hellish either way.

So is it any wonder that people say "nah I'll not vote for anyone who is prepared to perpetuate this shit, I'll vote for some who promises a flaming sword of justice, and then at least maybe next time someone who can win will think there might be votes in drawing their own equivalent, or even better, genuinely already be waving theirs around." You're not going to get people in that situation to vote for a different stripe of neoliberal just so middle class white people can feel happier about who is in the Oval Office, and why should you?

Solar on
  • Options
    Remember when a bunch of typically-conservative Latinx voters turned out for Obama, for the Greater Good, and then he deported more people than any president in history

Dang these minorities and their stubborn refusal to see the big picture

Gotta look beyond your own nose to watch your cousin get deported!

• Options
    Uh oh, we lost by the margin that voted Green

Better quote Reagan I guess

Steam ID
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i sure wish poor people would realize which oligarchs are the nice ones :(

• Options

So are they idealist or cynical? Whatever fits to attack them in the moment I suppose.

I didn't mean to imply cynicism. Just shortsightedness.

• Options
    I’m also not sure I buy the premise that third party voters would reliably vote Dem.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Dems should just forget courting the republicans and focus on sweeping up the greens and pulling in new voters.

• Options
    Thing is l, I totally get tactical voting. If people said "not a fan of the Dems but fuuuuuck Trump" then that's defensible too. You gotta do what you think is right. That said, this isn't the be all and end all of voting options, and people who don't do that aren't responsible for the Republicans winning if they aren't voting GOP.

• Options
    And if it's shortsightedness then what, exactly, is the long term plan?

Hold your nose and vote for the dems always... so that the dems learn the valuable lesson of "hey we must be doing everything perfectly, after all we won!"

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hey folks, as an aside, let’s try to remember not to use the term “transgendered” please.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    yeah no need for the 'ed' on the end of that

even just 'trans' will suffice

This discussion has been closed.