Options

Midterms 2018: You may now breathe.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Tucker Carlson hasn't had the stones to wear a bow tie since Jon Stewart lit him up. He's been wearing regular ties only for a long time now.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Tucker Carlson hasn't had the stones to wear a bow tie since Jon Stewart lit him up. He's been wearing regular ties only for a long time now.

Is this the part where I get to post one of my favorite videos on the Internet? I think this is the part where I get to post one of my favorite videos on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I will also post one of my favorite videos on the internet.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that screenshot always makes me think that he looks like a novelty fast food character from the late eighties

I think it's the makeup or something

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I bet 10 real actual dollars that Tucker Carlson has a poorly optimized bitcoin rig that spends more processing cycles as part of a bot-net than it does mining.

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't think I believe that green party voters would vote dem if they didn't have a candidate

seems way more likely to me that they would just not bother voting

anyway the real solution here is to do ranked choice voting, not get mad at the green party

I don't disagree, but considering how Jill Stein was willing to engage in vaccine skepticism and vaguely coddle 9/11 truthers to net a couple extra votes, I think it's reasonable to be a little mad at the Green Party.

Jill Stein is also a pro-Russia shill. Fuck her.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    remember when jill stein raised a bunch of money to do a recount of the 2016 election and then that's it, that's the end of the story

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Republicans are always in favour of reducing the number of voters.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I almost feel like the "now" in the thread title should be changed to a "not" after the last couple days.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Blaming third party candidates for Democrats losing elections is an understandable impulse, because it puts the onus on someone else. It's not particularly helpful in any context, and anyone who starts screaming about Jill Stein when Trump does something bad is...maybe not someone I will go back to for political takes. Mostly, even if Jill Stein voters played a key role in Trump winning, or any variation on that theme down the ballot, yelling about it isn't going to accomplish anything (and the evidence sure doesn't point to Jill Stein being a major factor there, to be clear). There are things the Democrats did and continue to do that need to be fixed, and things the Republicans did and continue to do that need to be fought.

Jill Stein sucks, in general, but she is largely irrelevant, aside from...does anyone know if that Jill Stein recount thing ever had any resolution? I assume somebody followed up on that, because uh...I mean, somebody definitely should have followed up on that???

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The follow-up was that they're still counting, mostly out of curiousity.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Green Party votes are the ‘bad referee/umpire call’ of the political world

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Yelling at people for voting third party probably makes them more likely to vote third party

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    If you criticise my vote now, it will become more alternative than you can possibly imagine.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The only people to blame for shitty candidates winning are the people who voted for those shitty candidates

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I'm not so much upset at people voting for 3rd parties than I'm upset we don't have ranked choice voting that allows for those votes to be cast and have political meaning beyond acting as a spoiler.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I'm not so much upset at people voting for 3rd parties than I'm upset we don't have ranked choice voting that allows for those votes to be cast and have political meaning beyond acting as a spoiler.

Something I wonder about is if third parties would actually prefer the current system to ranked voting. The parties, not the voters. Obviously PR would be ideal for them since they could actually get representation, but under FPTP they actually do have the ability to influence things as a spoiler, and ranked voting would nullify that influence.

I suppose it depends on how strongly they believe they can get their candidates to beat the major party candidates with significantly more funding and organization.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    "I'm Jeff Session time to fuck black people one last time before the clock runs out okay byyyyyeeee"

Kebler-ass with the clutch racism three pointer at the buzzer

I bet I know how everyone out there protesting Sessions' firing feels about the BLM movement

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    The race for Jeff Flakes old Senate seat is still going and last time checked with 99% reporting Sienma (Dem) is in the lead by 9,000 votes. If elected, she will be the first openly bisexual person elected to the U.S. Senate and the second openly LGBT person ever to serve in the Senate, after Tammy Baldwin. So that's neat.
    I mean she's gone waaaaay centrist since her green party roots, but hey listen

This is Arizona, our last senators were McCain and Flake

Oh dang, I didn't realize they were still counting!

Last time I checked (sometime yesterday), McSally was in the lead. Good to see it's flipped since then.

j7bow1s0lpd2.jpg
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The race for Jeff Flakes old Senate seat is still going and last time checked with 99% reporting Sienma (Dem) is in the lead by 9,000 votes. If elected, she will be the first openly bisexual person elected to the U.S. Senate and the second openly LGBT person ever to serve in the Senate, after Tammy Baldwin. So that's neat.

Last time I checked (sometime yesterday), McSally was in the lead. Good to see it's flipped since then.

Also yesterday the state Republican party was suing to stop the counting.

I wonder whether they're going forward with the suit.
    The lawsuit alleges that signature verification must stop when polls close, and seeks an injunction to stop the counting of such ballots that have been verified after then. It's unclear how many of these votes still remain outstanding, but the suit singles out the state's two biggest urban counties, the center of support for Sinema.

Oh f all these bastards

Fucking third parties splitting the vote. When you're clearly not going to win, drop out so those votes could go dem. That's 40000 votes that could make a huge difference.

The American Green party sucks so much. They refuse to run candidates for local elections and instead keep trying to capture federal offices, despite knowing damn well that they will only serve as a spoiler for Democrats.

All of the Green party candidates on my ballot were for the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District

They absolutely run in local elections (they all lost still, which is a shame because the job is directly tied to things that the Green party cares a whole lot about)

• Options
    Around here the only third party we get is Libertarian, so it's a moot point, but I love how 90% of the liberal discourse around voting is "Go vote for the least bad candidate. No not that one, the Democrat."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    "I'm Jeff Session time to fuck black people one last time before the clock runs out okay byyyyyeeee"

I bet I know how everyone out there protesting Sessions' firing feels about the BLM movement

I was out protesting last night. What exactly would you like to accuse me of?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    To be clear, I have no issue with anyone voting third party.

I just think Jill Stein is trash for a number of reasons.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Around here the only third party we get is Libertarian, so it's a moot point, but I love how 90% of the liberal discourse around voting is "Go vote for the least bad candidate. No not that one, the Democrat."

The Democrat is always the least bad candidate.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Much like Comey, no one is protesting the firing. They’re protesting why he was fired, and that the person replacing him is just as bad.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The good news about Sessions' firing is that a white supremacist is out of a job.

The bad news is that a Trump puppet, rather than Rosenstein, is now overseeing the Mueller investigation, right as it was about to pick up again following the midterms.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »

Something I wonder about is if third parties would actually prefer the current system to ranked voting. The parties, not the voters. Obviously PR would be ideal for them since they could actually get representation, but under FPTP they actually do have the ability to influence things as a spoiler, and ranked voting would nullify that influence.

I suppose it depends on how strongly they believe they can get their candidates to beat the major party candidates with significantly more funding and organization.

Speaking from a country with ranked voting: there's a bunch of factors that intertwine to make the system preferable for third parties. Eg because our campaign funding laws work differently to the US, there's an incentive for parties to get votes even if they have no chance at winning a seat, and if you take away ranked voting way less people are gonna vote third party. So back home they love it
    But the financial imbalance in America is still gonna be a major confounding issue that alters the calculus, along with disenfranchisement, so there's probably a few things that need to be addressed simultaneously.

That said, I'm not gonna discount the asshole factor, but any non major party who actually wants a serious chance at influencing a national agenda should embrace ranked voting. (Note for any policy people reading: the Hare-Clark system has been mathematically shown to best represent the will of individual voters on a mass scale). Interestingly, the US primary system has almost become a de facto ranking method, since this is where less centrist candidates can push the agenda of the eventual candidate. But FPTP is still total garbage.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Absolutely not true.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Absolutely not true.

Outside of primary elections, it’s more or less true for elections in the US.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Absolutely not true.

Disagree, anyone can get on the ballot as a third party

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

Absolutely not true.

and some of them even win. There are two independents in the senate right now.
    Ranked choice can make this better, removing the spoilerification factor and not letting the most disliked candidate win.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Absolutely not true.

This is why I, the most reasonable voter, write in "Superman, only much better" for every candidate.

Sure he's not likely to win... so long as you rubes keep voting for party politics.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    (also to be abundantly clear I'm saying some rando off the street is likely to be a better candidate than a lot of establishment Democrats)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Oh fuck directly off

Bloods End on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

j7bow1s0lpd2.jpg
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Also yesterday the state Republican party was suing to stop the counting.

I wonder whether they're going forward with the suit.
    The lawsuit alleges that signature verification must stop when polls close, and seeks an injunction to stop the counting of such ballots that have been verified after then. It's unclear how many of these votes still remain outstanding, but the suit singles out the state's two biggest urban counties, the center of support for Sinema.

Oh f all these bastards

Fucking third parties splitting the vote. When you're clearly not going to win, drop out so those votes could go dem. That's 40000 votes that could make a huge difference.

The American Green party sucks so much. They refuse to run candidates for local elections and instead keep trying to capture federal offices, despite knowing damn well that they will only serve as a spoiler for Democrats.

The ironic thing is the green party does more to help keep the air polluted and the water dirty than it does to fix those problems.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Absolutely not true.

Absolutely true.

Pick your democrat in a primary but in a general all Republicans are outright terrible or will cave to the hive mind and all third party candidates are just a short sighted wasted vote that accomplishes nothing but empowering the wrong people.

A lot of people don't like Joe Manchin, but Joe Manchin would not vote for Mitch McConnell to be Senate Majority leader.
    I fucking hated that Phil Bredeson put out a statement in support of Kavanaugh but what am I to do? Not vote or vote for Blackburn?

Jill Stein got more votes than the difference between Hillary and Trump in Michigan and in Pennsylvania and very nearly more than the difference between them in Wisconsin, Gary Johnson absolutely did in all three. The shortsighted ignorance of their voters and people who did not vote put us in the situation we are in today. They are why we are fucked for a generation with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. They are why we are torturing immigrants and people seeking refugee status and asylum.

If you aren't voting for a Democrat then you're voting for a Republican one way or another. You want them in charge. There's no way around it. That may mean voting for someone you don't think is perfect and I know that feels frustrating, but that is just the effective political reality that you are living in.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Absolutely not true.

This is both moving the goalposts and wrong

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am very sure there were third party or independent candidates who were much better options than Joe Manchin or Claire McCaskill

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Absolutely not true.

Absolutely true.

Pick your democrat in a primary but in a general all Republicans are outright terrible or will cave to the hive mind and all third party candidates are just a short sighted wasted vote that accomplishes nothing but empowering the wrong people.

A lot of people don't like Joe Manchin, but Joe Manchin would not vote for Mitch McConnell to be Senate Majority leader.
    I fucking hated that Phil Bredeson put out a statement in support of Kavanaugh but what am I to do? Not vote or vote for Blackburn?

Jill Stein got more votes than the difference between Hillary and Trump in Michigan and in Pennsylvania and very nearly more than the difference between them in Wisconsin, Gary Johnson absolutely did in all three. The shortsighted ignorance of their voters and people who did not vote put us in the situation we are in today. They are why we are fucked for a generation with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. They are why we are torturing immigrants and people seeking refugee status and asylum.

If you aren't voting for a Democrat then you're voting for a Republican one way or another. You want them in charge. There's no way around it. That may mean voting for someone you don't think is perfect and I know that feels frustrating, but that is just the effective political reality that you are living in.

LM fucking AO, thank you for being the representative example for my original point.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.