As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Everything going on with Claire has some serious 'No End House' vibes.
    Maybe the DW writers have read it? I love the idea that perhaps they, indeed might have done so.
    sw9uixdtpqh8.jpg
    Step through the threshold at your own risk...

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    - Why do humans merit such special treatment as seven billion aliens coming to save them? And how do they hand wave this never happening any other time the earth was in danger?
    Anthropocentrism. It is a big problem in IRL Astrophysics/Exobiology too.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    - Why do humans merit such special treatment as seven billion aliens coming to save them? And how do they hand wave this never happening any other time the earth was in danger?
    Anthropocentrism. It is a big problem in IRL Astrophysics/Exobiology too.

Chibnall might be getting a little too self important. :P

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    It really bothers me how Thirteen really doesn’t seem close to her companions even though they were her “ram” and Yaz is all she’s had since the others left.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    This version tends to put her companions in harms way. She just leaves Yaz alone when she gets on the dog alien's ship in this first episode.

I notice she lets Yaz do more. She even navigates the TARDIS.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Here is a good article about what Chibnall did to Doctor Who.
    https://www.escapistmagazine.com/chris-chibnall-tried-to-turn-doctor-who-into-prestige-tv/

We still don't know how the
    Master ruined Gallifrey. It just happens.
    Then, he made the Cyber Lords.

Next time:

I mean the article says Chibnall’s timeless child stuff was to “give the show a canon”, but imo it breaks the existing canon astonishingly.

I’d also argue that for me personally the show never looked better than when it was directed by Rachel Talalay

The best “Companion pilots the TARDIS” stuff were Ten trying to coach Donna, and Nardole having a stint as ruler in Constantinople

Catalase on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've seen the theory floating around that the Doctor is in the wrong universe, and has been since leaving the battlefield in Twice Upon A Time, that the Flux is a long delayed consequence on par with the Total Event Collapse from S5. That would be a very neat twist on things, that the Timeless Child is an origin story for this universe's Doctor, and our one has just bumbled into a story in progress for someone else. It'd solve nearly every issue I have with Chib's apparent disregard for the Moffat era, actually.

That said, I do think that's a bit too clever for what we've seen of his writing so far. :/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I've seen the theory floating around that the Doctor is in the wrong universe, and has been since leaving the battlefield in Twice Upon A Time, that the Flux is a long delayed consequence on par with the Total Event Collapse from S5. That would be a very neat twist on things, that the Timeless Child is an origin story for this universe's Doctor, and our one has just bumbled into a story in progress for someone else. It'd solve nearly every issue I have with Chib's apparent disregard for the Moffat era, actually.

That said, I do think that's a bit too clever for what we've seen of his writing so far. :/

That would be a good way to reset things. The Flux was already gobbling up out solar system in the first episode.

• Options
    When fans have to twist the story into that many knots to get an acceptable outcome there’s a problem

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I really liked this one. Yes, there's a lot of balls in the air and the episodes to come may very well drop all of them, but what I saw in this episode gave me hope that they won't. By the end of the episode, the only stuff that didn't make sense to me yet was stuff that wasn't supposed to make sense yet because it was very clearly framed as part of a cliffhanger.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So is Flux basically a 6 part mini-series to end out the Chibnall/Whittaker era? I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I'm also not terribly inclined to sub to AMC+ until it's all aired if so.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's this year's series

next year theres a bunch of specials like the end of the Tennant run and that's it for Chibbers

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I wonder if they will release the specials as they make them. I assume that is why they are doing it that way.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    This felt like it was directed by JJ Abrams, five million things flying at you at 500 mph, one catastrophe or mystery after another. Not my favourite pacing personally speaking.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    New thread title suggestion:
    [Doctor Who] is going to need a pointy stick.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Should've had a double bill with this episode last week, it's come together a lot better and I'm a bit more optimistic for the rest now

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Jazz wrote: »
    New thread title suggestion:
    [Doctor Who] is going to need a pointy stick.
    That's Missy's get your own

Up to the end of series 8 on the watch through.
    The end of the Christmas special was jarring as hell. Yay you've defeated this set of crabs. Maybe make sure there aren't more?!

The reveal of Missy worked better for my SO than the last Big Reveal involving a weird lady. She missed the Kovarian thing entirely because she was focused on just how cruel the doctor was being for no apparent reason.

The plot quality and pacing of Who is often not that high but this season had some real strained episodes. Also a lot of ping ponging between pretty good and what episodes. Looking at you Forest of the Night.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    That was better. Part of the ongoing story and an episode in its own right. Azure and Swarm's designs are gorgeous.

"And I wanted to ride a horse" made me lol.

Bogart on
  • Options
    If you want to ride a horse that badly... Just build your own genetically engineered, sentient, cybernetic race horse, in your bath-tub, like any 'normal' person would.

And then go for a ride in Westworld. This is the work.

This is the work.

• Options
    I think that was easily Chibs' best episode of all time. Think it blended the monster of the week with the story arc stuff pretty brilliantly.

Noticed Segun Akinola's gone a lot harder on the score, much closer to Murray Gold's style than the quiet ambient stuff of his first couple series.

Also I got a HOT PREDICTION!
    we're gonna get an origin story for the Weeping Angels next week. Just a vibe, these Mouri guys on the Planet Time? Think Swarm turned em into the Angels.

I uh, do not want an origin story for the Angels, but eh, as long as that's not the main event for the series...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
  • Options
    You must repair. You must repair Maxwell's Daemon. That which deleted the doors to the TARDIS. Repair that which is fundamentally unrepairable.

With just a sonic, two hearts, a dying TARDIS, dimensionally transcendental pockets, and a universe that is ending... Tough crowd; Tough breaks. No big deal.

• Options
    Ah. I may be too tired to watch the episode right now.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Oh. The Doctor did her
    pressure point thing to knock out the soldier.
    The ending of the new episode.
    Oh. Let us just assume the temporal explosion got rid of the Sontarans.
    Something is seriously wrong with the TARDIS.
    NEXT TIME

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I feel like the Doctor is way, way outta her depth vs Swarm. But that's not a slight on her; I think Ten and Eleven would be likewise too. Dude is very self assured and in-control vs the usual angry maniac villains we often get in Who, it's kinda great. (Capaldi would be fine tho dude exudes F-about and find out)

Solid episode, definitely an improvement last week in terms of plot coherency. A complaint, though; Chibnall really seems to not know what to do with his companions. "Lets write them off into a corner so I can have the Doctor do what drives the plot" but then realises the Doctor needs someone to help so "here's someone outta history doing literally everything the companion could be doing". It's a running theme. Like; if Ten sent Donna off to the spa every episode and replaced her with a historic companion of the week.

How does the whole probic refuelling thing work with regards to Strax, who lived presumably a lifetime in Victorian England, in a dapper suit no less?

Catalase on
  • Options
    How does the whole probic refuelling thing work with regards to Strax, who lived presumably a lifetime in Victorian England, in a dapper suit no less?
    Friendship.

• Options
    Every once in a while I will play this video all the way through (or the other one that just has the opening title sequences without the middle eight) because let's be honest the theme tune is an absolute fucking banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGc3UD4OaMw

It's got to be up there with the most influential pieces of electronic music of all time. The original sounds like something a mad ghost would compose.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    That was a pretty good episode for the Chibnall Era's standards.

Once again annoyed that The Doctor didn't resolve the problem, the asshole she's contending with resolved it for her with violence instead. Her solution was good, but honestly very boring and unsatisfying.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It also didn't make a great deal of sense how the captured Sontaran was able to replenish its suit nutrients outside of the space ship

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this latest episode. The first one was okay - it took a while to get going, but it wasn't frustrating or boring, like other episodes in recent years - but the second one was nicely zippy and the villains came to life much more than in the season starter. I do hope for Whittaker and Gill that they get to finish on a run of episodes that people like, by and large.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Thawmus wrote: »
    That was a pretty good episode for the Chibnall Era's standards.

Once again annoyed that The Doctor didn't resolve the problem, the asshole she's contending with resolved it for her with violence instead. Her solution was good, but honestly very boring and unsatisfying.

The Doctor did resolve the problem, and then someone else wiped out the Sontarans while they were retreating. It's the exact same thing as the Christmas Invasion with Torchwood blowing up the bad guys while they were flying away.

I'll agree that her solution was a) a bit quick and boring (disconnect these handily accessible tubes) and b) leaves some unanswered questions (how did Strax breath, how did the prisoner breathe) but I was pleased that for once with this Doctor coming up with a plan felt like a natural progression of investigation and reasoning.

Bogart on
  • Options
    I can't rewatch at the moment but...they said the Sontarans in modern day were over the entire planet right?
    Didn't they only blow up the one shipyard?

• Options
    Wouldn't the Doctor evicting them in the past have them fuck off in the future too?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Wouldn't the Doctor evicting them in the past have them fuck off in the future too?

They invaded the past from the future/present day. If I was following things correctly they were building timeships in the present day to invade the past and the Crimea was the first test of the strategy.

I suspect that if I actually put the plot under close examination it'll fall apart instantly.

Looking at the wiki for the episode I guess I also missed that the broken time guardian people were the reason for the flux existing in the first place. I dunno if I wasn't paying attention or if it wasn't clearly explained.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

Looking at the wiki for the episode I guess I also missed that the broken time guardian people were the reason for the flux existing in the first place. I dunno if I wasn't paying attention or if it wasn't clearly explained.

Yeah there was a lot of important sounding exposition in those last few minutes, definitely didn't catch all of it. I'm hoping there's little more infodump coming - the show sometimes glosses over confusing stuff while over explaining basic stuff.

Pretty sure there's not gonna be any elaboration on why Karvanista's ship got to Earth faster, we got one throwaway line for what seemed like a pretty big plot point!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I dunno if that's a big plot point. Once the explanation is given it doesn't matter any more.

• Options
    Yeah, "space shortcut" was good enough for me

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Brigadier himself was great but entire seasons of Unit are absolutely dreadful. Or at least watching them back-to-back is. The absolute low point of Classic Who, well below Colin Baker clownery.

Man, this sure is a take. I can't agree at all. The UNIT seasons have a recurring cast of likeable characters, lots of real-world location shoots so feel less cramped, and generally pretty good writing with a light dash of social commentary as the Doctor finds himself pitted against various thuggish military sorts and stupid bureaucrats and greedy capitalists. Being set in the real world with mostly real people seems to orient the cast and writers more as stories don't have to create and exposit upon a whole new setting every installment and it allows for a more natural feel as the actors get to play recognizable types (pity the poor old man in a flat cap who stumbles upon the smoking crater in the moor in the first five minutes of a story).

By contrast I find a lot of 80s Who basically unwatchable, with good premises killed by unbelievably leaden pacing, awful line reads, and an even tinier budget than usual.

Most of the... entire sci-fi genre does not do this and for good reason.
    Bogart wrote: »
    Every once in a while I will play this video all the way through (or the other one that just has the opening title sequences without the middle eight) because let's be honest the theme tune is an absolute fucking banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGc3UD4OaMw

It's got to be up there with the most influential pieces of electronic music of all time. The original sounds like something a mad ghost would compose.

The first version was one of the earliest pieces of electronic music, and certainly the first for a TV show. They were no mixers or commercial synths or sequencers, it was all built by manually cutting tape from recordings (some real instruments and some electronic oscillators), re-recording them at different speeds, and physically splicing it all together. I doubt much of the audience had ever heard anything remotely like it before.

• Options
    Props for using Mary Seacole as opposed to the more obvious Florence Nightingale, though