As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So we've seen dozens of variations on this over the years, but this is the first time I've ever seen Christopher Eccleston just straight up say why he left Doctor Who, and why he probably won't come back. It's pretty rough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QcpNBuhjUA

The part about the BBC writing a fake quote from him is particularly galling and I totally understand why he wanted fuck all to do with them after that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The Psychopomps have the TARDIS. But the door(s) (a paradigm of thresholds) are/is still in the floor, ceiling, walls...

As for the rest of the episode, oh gee, um, I think I'll need the community wiki for this one... We're rolling deeeep into the philosophy of quantum mechanical interpretation(s). :rotate:

Or at least; I am.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The Psychopomps have the TARDIS. But the door(s) (a paradigm of thresholds) are/is still in the floor, ceiling, walls...

As for the rest of the episode, oh gee, um, I think I'll need the community wiki for this one... We're rolling deeeep into the philosophy of quantum mechanical interpretation(s). :rotate:

Or at least; I am.
    There was definitely a lot of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    ACAB, SCAB, SDAB (Some Doctors Are Brilliant)... If we got anything from this episode... We got Jodie dressed as a police officer talking about shopping troubles. :lol:

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    ACAB, SCAB, SDAB (Some Doctors Are Brilliant)... If we got anything from this episode... We got Jodie dressed as a police officer talking about shopping troubles. :lol:
    Worth the price of admission alone!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Well, AMC+ app keeps freezing on my phone. I was going to watch Doctor Who in bed.

• Options
    I think that episode will need a second viewing.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    This week’s episode…
    I think this is now the Chibnall of Broadchurch finally doing something that suits him. He was clearly no good at the “episodic, single stories with hints” structure that RTD was great at, so now that he gets to do something that’s intentionally long-form he’s able to be more himself.

No idea if it’ll all hang together in the end, but I’m enjoying the ride while it lasts.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's very disappointing that I have a much better sense of Dan's character after three episodes than I do of Yaz's after two and a bit seasons.

The episode was ... alright, I guess?

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I enjoyed it, I don't know if it's intentional at all but
    the Mouri reminded me a bit of Kronos' final form in The Time Monster. Perhaps they're related eldritch time beings?

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Reminded me of when I was 10 and writing stories and thought that hopping from one mysterious scene after another was good storytelling.

I mean. He's clearly better at long-form story telling than episodic. But he's got three episodes left. If you try and pay everything off at the very end you get a mess like last season's finale.
    Also I'm no physicist but I think his understanding of space and time as separate entities isn't quite right.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    We're halfway through the whole season and aside from episode 2 it's not been great.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Catalase wrote: »
    Also I'm no physicist but I think his understanding of space and time as separate entities isn't quite right.

If our science understood space/time as well as the Time Lords we'd have built a Tardis already.

I see no reason why a "Timey Wimey" show should be limited by Einstein or whatever.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

If our science understood space/time as well as the Time Lords we'd have built a Tardis already.

I see no reason why a "Timey Wimey" show should be limited by Einstein or whatever.
    I mean true but there's fantasy pseudoscience you can ignore, and fantasy pseudoscience that takes me out of what I'm watching. Every time they spoke about space and time separately I felt my IQ counter tick down one.

Catalase on
  • Options
    I am idly browsing the Doctor Who blu-ray sets they started releasing a couple of years ago.

They're very nice, aren't they? I had a few DVDs of Classic Who but got rid of them ages ago for some reason. And I could just get a BritBox subscription to get access to all of Classic Who.

And yet.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am idly browsing the Doctor Who blu-ray sets they started releasing a couple of years ago.

They're very nice, aren't they? I had a few DVDs of Classic Who but got rid of them ages ago for some reason. And I could just get a BritBox subscription to get access to all of Classic Who.

And yet.
    The artwork is superb, if we're thinking of the same sets.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yaz: hey, do you want to talk about how you're taking this very personally and really off right now?
    Dr: NO, GET IN THE CAR TARDIS AND BE QUIET.

What even is the relationship between Yaz and Dr now?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

And yet.
    The artwork is superb, if we're thinking of the same sets.

I'd probably be looking at getting the slimline editions that are a bit cheaper and less fancy in the packaging department, but still. Then again there's a guy on eBay who's selling all 9 existing box sets as a package that costs no more than a PS5.

• Options
    The new episode.
    I get the impression the companions were just wafting around in time until the Doctor could save them.

She must be using her Timelord mind powers, because I didn't really see her do anything.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Man I have never had to wait this long for the new episode to drop on Amazon, I'm kinda getting worried here. Has the BBC and Amazon had a pissing match in the past week or something?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Angels
    The angels getting inside of technology was a good idea. It sounds like they can get into anything visual.

NEXT TIME:
    https://youtu.be/5v2CX7jvQfI

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Man I have never had to wait this long for the new episode to drop on Amazon, I'm kinda getting worried here. Has the BBC and Amazon had a pissing match in the past week or something?

AMC+ has been getting them on the day they are shown, but the smartphone app is freezing up. I finally got it work. I set my phone into performance mode.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Did the baddies worlds not get effected by the Flux or did they already have a plan to handle such a situation?

I am wondering why they are all going on a rampage to conquer the galaxies.

Here is some Old Who recreated. Not bad. Kind of a clean comic book look. I like the style. AMC+ has some of the recreated Second Doctor episodes.
    https://youtu.be/jxmgqgWeZkA

Here is the Behind the Scenes for the new episode:

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Angels
    The angels getting inside of technology was a good idea. It sounds like they can get into anything visual.

That's from Series 5, Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone. Debunking my theorem that Chibs has not seen a single Moff episode, eh.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Really, they are using animation for the Old Who that is similar to what they used for Archer and Sealab. It uses computers and is allot cheaper. Some of it is kind of like puppetry.

It is kind of similar to what was used in the recent Rayman games.

• Options
    edited November 2021

https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.127.191802

Edit:(Well, as far forward{s} as you might wish to go, but never ever back - unless you know about a stable synthetic element (exotic matter) that's not currently on the periodic table)...

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Edit: Forgot to include my point, in a rush. Probably the closest thing that humanity has to an IRL TARDIS, were we able and/or willing to command it to swing back around to the vicinity of Earth's local inertial reference frame.
    If Tardigrades were on it they could/would be younger than than Tardigrades kept here as a baseline/control group here on Earth. TARDIS-Grades... :P :snap:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Ohhhh. Nutters.
    It seems like the problem with Dan is that he cares too much. He does not focus on making money for himself. Maybe there is some reason for that.

They are kind of doing this weird "time is magic" thing right now. Somehow, it can be manipulated by special powers the Doctor and those other people have.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Angels

That's from Series 5, Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone. Debunking my theorem that Chibs has not seen a single Moff episode, eh.
    I mean he wrote for Matt Smith. Even if his series 5 episodes were clearly repurposed Tennant scripts.

I'd still argue he hasn't seen anything with Capaldi in it though.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Talked with customer service, gonna be another 24-48 hours until the ep drops on Amazon due to technical issues.

Honestly the first time I've seen a problem, and it sounds like this ep isn't something I should rush off to see anyways...

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Talked with customer service, gonna be another 24-48 hours until the ep drops on Amazon due to technical issues.

Honestly the first time I've seen a problem, and it sounds like this ep isn't something I should rush off to see anyways...

It is a confusing episode, but there are a couple of payoffs in the end.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I am extremely curious about the
    old time lady. Another time lord? Didn't get a good look at surroundings but almost coulda been a TARDIS?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    old time lady. Another time lord? Didn't get a good look at surroundings but almost coulda been a TARDIS?
    Maybe it is the Rani. I am serious.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Its Mephisto!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    FLUX
    Somehow, the Flux is all the Doctor's fault.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Older woman with the potions/chemicals:
    I too had Rani vibes, just because of the "laboratory" atmosphere. But the conversation didn't feel right for that. If it is a character we have met before, the most likely to me seems to be the White Guardian. But given recent writing, it will probably be a brand new character who is somehow also the Doctor, again.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    JonBob wrote: »
    Older woman with the potions/chemicals:
    I too had Rani vibes, just because of the "laboratory" atmosphere. But the conversation didn't feel right for that. If it is a character we have met before, the most likely to me seems to be the White Guardian. But given recent writing, it will probably be a brand new character who is somehow also the Doctor, again.

I think she's the bartender from the last episode of Quantum Leap.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    I think it's (the) First Tecteun, regenerated.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    While better, the writing is still pretty blah:
    "It was over!"... with a race of aliens who do nothing but go to war and literally just got done trying to wipe out earth and declared they'd be back. No, it's not over until they're all dead.

The Flux was obliterating planets. Stars. Everything. Then there are remains to fight over and land on and search through.

The bad guys don't just snap the doctor out of existence instead of themselves after they've had her perform her task they masterminded because...?

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Yeah. I don't get how there are Flux leftovers like that guy's planet at the end. Still, the dog aliens managed to shield the Earth.

Krathoon on