As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Looks like they have a season-long story arc about accidentally changing time and causing some kind of end of humanity?

sig.gif
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    wow that Disney money is very apparent in the production values

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    That looked very fast paced and fun.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I know we’re all glad Moffat and Davies are back but I really hope they knock it off with the disposable horrible tragedies

British people have it hard enough as it is with people thinking they’re callous and emotionally-deadened, they don’t need it constantly reinforced in an otherwise fun and sprightly sci-fi romp

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 22
    Atomika wrote: »
    I know we’re all glad Moffat and Davies are back but I really hope they knock it off with the disposable horrible tragedies

British people have it hard enough as it is with people thinking they’re callous and emotionally-deadened, they don’t need it constantly reinforced in an otherwise fun and sprightly sci-fi romp

😉💁🏻‍♀️

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

People think we're callous and emotionally-deadened?

Hmm

/sips tea

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

X to doubt.

sig.gif
  • Options

Hmm

/sips tea

English people, at least

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Hmm

/sips tea

English people, at least

Because people don't think about the Welsh at all

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

Hmm

/sips tea
    Make that two. /sips menacingly whilst a flock of gathering crows can be heard outside...

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Hmm

/sips tea

English people, at least

Because people don't think about the Welsh at all

That's only somewhat true!
    There's the six nations.... and every time that I see the streets of Cardiff pretending to be London.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    Looks good - Gatwa bringing a lot of energy. But my dude why after Rose, Amy, Clara and Bill (and I guess Adric...whatever) would you make a promise to keep your companion safe. Your mouth's writing cheques your body can't cash.

So the vibe is the Doctor vs Supernatural - could be interesting as historically the Doctor has always maligned the possibility of the supernatural - either science you don't understand or races that seem like supernatural to humans. But he has now faced Goblins so...er yeah, supernatural or something making the supernatural seem to appear.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    When does the new season start?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    When does the new season start?

May 10th on D+

• Options
    They can probably just hand-wave away any
    'supernatural' (I prefer the term 'para-natural', sonics-at-dawn.gif😛👩🏻‍🔬) event(s) as being related to the toymaker's antics.

• Options
    edited March 23
    They have already alluded to A Super Big Bad that even the basically omnipotent Toy Maker was too afraid to fuck about with and in fact terrified him. So...it sounds like the classic RTD end of the universe schtick will be in there somewhere.

{EDIT} Since they are pushing the supernatural, maybe their angle is the stuff of nightmares so either the OG Nightmare or Fear itself will be the BBEG.

RazielMortem on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Neat that they seem to be breaking with Who tradition and having the Doctor be more expressive by actually wearing a variety of clothing styles instead of sticking to a single one throughout.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I just wonder if they are going to undo the Flux shenanigans. Somehow restore the universe.

It does not really make much sense that the solar system is functioning normally if planets were wiped out.

Maybe Time itself restored things.

• Options
    Time was the enemy - caged by the Timelords (?) on that weird planet - yes it makes no bloody sense. I think they are going to reference it only when they absolutely have to ("why are you running here?" "because the Flux destroyed our world" etc). Because 15th is supposed to be the Doctor after a loooooong mental trauma cleanse, I can't see it has much relevance. They could even do 11-style universe reboot to just unwind it. In fact a universal reboot feels like it's coming if the BBEG is wrecking everything through time.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    'supernatural' (I prefer the term 'para-natural', sonics-at-dawn.gif😛👩🏻‍🔬) event(s) as being related to the toymaker's antics.
    I think they sort of implied it was due to the Doctor tricking the Fake Doctor and Donna with salt.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Neat that they seem to be breaking with Who tradition and having the Doctor be more expressive by actually wearing a variety of clothing styles instead of sticking to a single one throughout.

Three would like a word.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I think they sort of implied it was due to the Doctor tricking the Fake Doctor and Donna with salt.
    I rewatched that episode just recently and yeah you're correct. Tricking the dark matter 'beyond-nothings' seems to have had some pretty serious consequences for all of spacetime, shattered and broken as it is by the flux event. Perhaps the doctor should have fled their own universe and start again, they fucked things up for every other species not on Earth. They had to save what they could, at such a terribly painful cost. Even the milky way was damaged. Whole filaments of galaxies with trillions of stars, gone, deleted from existence.

Or perhaps they 'never' even 'formed'...

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I've figured it out!
    The first season is all about fixing 13's stuff and the 'beyond-nothings' are a metaphor for shit showrunners.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Looks good - Gatwa bringing a lot of energy. But my dude why after Rose, Amy, Clara and Bill (and I guess Adric...whatever) would you make a promise to keep your companion safe. Your mouth's writing cheques your body can't cash.

So the vibe is the Doctor vs Supernatural - could be interesting as historically the Doctor has always maligned the possibility of the supernatural - either science you don't understand or races that seem like supernatural to humans. But he has now faced Goblins so...er yeah, supernatural or something making the supernatural seem to appear.

Even if he hadn't lost companions over the years, The Doctor regularly goes into situations where people are trying to kill him and possibly the planet (or galaxy or universe) they're on. Has Who ever done a lighthearted fun romp of an episode? They went to see Van Gogh and it was a bloodbath FFS. If The Doctor decided to go hit the original Woodstock festival I think that it'd turn out that the Cybermen would be there trying to robotify Hendrix or something.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Robot of Sherwood

The Lodger - but there's a lot of James Cordon so...

Closing Time - but there's a lot of James Cordon so....

Time Heist

A Christmas Carol

The Empty Child/Doctor Dances two-parter is pretty scary and bleak until it becomes the happiest endings of almost any story in Who.

The Husbands of River Song is pretty great all the way through.

• Options
    In old Classic Who news, I finally remembered I have a Britbox sub and decided to go back and watch some old Tom Baker serials and found some I'd never seen before!
    The Invisible Enemy - pretty bad - it's a Fantastic Voyage ripoff and only note worthy as the first introduction of K9. But since K9 is possibly the most annoying companion (including Adric) this is not a good thing!
    Image of the Fendahl however is a good 'un. Wonderfully atmospheric creepy cottage, a bit of Timelord lore, an adversary stronger than the Doctor, lots of fun layers.

Both star the wonderful 4th Doctor-Leela combo which I wish lasted longer as they compliment each other well (when both are written well).

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Robot of Sherwood

Time Heist

A Christmas Carol

The Empty Child/Doctor Dances two-parter is pretty scary and bleak until it becomes the happiest endings of almost any story in Who.

I think a light-hearted "fun hump" should not have multiple deaths. So that rules out quite a few of those.

It should also be fun, so that rules out Robots of Sherwood.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Empty Child/Doctor Dances is specifically about how a lot of people die in Doctor Who stories.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There have been instances where the Doctor and companion(s) have talked about other places they’ve gone (or are coming back from at the beginning of an episode) but weren’t shown on screen.

Separately, we’ve been taking our daughter through Dr Who (9 onwards) and she’s been loving it.

We just finished “A Good Man Goes To War” and honestly i was surprised she didn’t call the reveal at the end.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Robot of Sherwood

Time Heist

A Christmas Carol

I think a light-hearted "fun hump" should not have multiple deaths. So that rules out quite a few of those.

It should also be fun, so that rules out Robots of Sherwood.

I don't disagree, but unfortunately Who doesn't get much closer than those.

• Options
    They need to go back on Robots of Sherwood and fix the part with the arrow so it makes sense. Make it go into the fuel vat of the engine or something.

• Options
    I don't know that anyone's going to be able to argue it's worth spending the money to fix it. It's frustrating, sure, but it's far from the biggest problem with the episode.

• Options
    Having the Doctor show up is like having Jessica Fletcher appear - yes they will stop the baddy in the end but a lot of people nearby are going to die first...

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    In old Classic Who news, I finally remembered I have a Britbox sub and decided to go back and watch some old Tom Baker serials and found some I'd never seen before!
    The Invisible Enemy - pretty bad - it's a Fantastic Voyage ripoff and only note worthy as the first introduction of K9. But since K9 is possibly the most annoying companion (including Adric) this is not a good thing!
    Image of the Fendahl however is a good 'un. Wonderfully atmospheric creepy cottage, a bit of Timelord lore, an adversary stronger than the Doctor, lots of fun layers.

Both star the wonderful 4th Doctor-Leela combo which I wish lasted longer as they compliment each other well (when both are written well).

For my money, Invisible Enemy is the weirdest Doctor Who story ever made. When you're watching it, it makes just enough sense that you think you understand it, never enough that you actually do.

Butler on
  • Options
    Re-watching 'Wild Blue Yonder' again. I want to build a TARDIS out of an ice-cream van. When it lands and takes off, it should play 'Scarborough fair' from the exterior speaker system 🎶🕋🤹🏻‍♀️🍄.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWBUBe3OL1E

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Q: "Ready to rock through time?"

A: *sounds of supernovae and gamma-ray bursters exploding*. *air-guitar solo*.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Episode titles for those curious:
    1 "Space Babies" by Russell T Davies
    2 "The Devil's Chord" by Russell T Davies
    3 "Boom" by Steven Moffat
    4 "73 Yards" by Russell T Davies
    5 "Dot and Bubble" by Russell T Davies
    6 "Rogue" by Kate Herron and Briony Redman
    7 "The Legend of Ruby Sunday" by Russell T Davies
    8 "Empire of Death" by Russell T Davies

Only two episodes not being penned by the showrunner? That's a heckuva workload. :O

Oh brilliant