As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Can any who listen to Doctor Who audio dramas recommend some available on CD? Which Doctor is irrelevant, a solid story and reading (plus being available on-disc) are all that matter.

I've been aware of these extra adventures for quite a while, without checking them out. Not sure where to start.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I liked this week’s episode. Silly fun with someone genuinely moving moments.
    But if people thought Kill The Moon was an anti-choice themed episode (which I personally always thought was a bit of a stretch) then they’re going to go ballistic over this one. Half the episode spent convincing someone with an unplanned pregnancy that they want to keep their baby and then the episode finishes with a prayer?! I expect angry blog posts! I don’t think they did it on purpose, but yeesh! :lol:

The episode itself I liked. Standard type of Who story, hilariously adorable looking villain, and some one liners that are real keepers. The Doctor is a Doctor of Lego! And she’s seen all 900 casts of Hamilton!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    "The thing with anti-matter is you either have to find it or generate it"...so like literally every single thing in existence, Doctor?
    Half the episode spent convincing someone with an unplanned pregnancy that they want to keep their baby and then the episode finishes with a prayer?!
    The entire time I was yelling at the screen WHY IS THIS A SUBPLOT WHOOOO CAAAAAAARES

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Fun episode but with a few 'meh' bits. Pretty forgettable besides the fantastic set design.
    "The thing with anti-matter is you either have to find it or generate it"...so like literally every single thing in existence, Doctor?
    Yup. Feynman would be pretty annoyed at how they explained/portrayed anti-matter in this episode.

For those of you who are even mildly interested in particle physics will already know why. They made a key mistake.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It was a better episode, but I really did not care about what was happening. I think it is the music. It is not dramatic enough.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed that one. By a pretty wide margin, the best episode of the series so far.

Chibnall's writing seems to be pretty good at the one off side characters, something Moffatt never really focused on. Found them all to be well rounded in a small amount of time this week. Some good worldbuilding stuff with the Pilot's Heart disease and such, too. Yaz is really hurting for some personality, tho.

And I really dislike the way each episode has to over explain what's going on. Feels like they each had a scene where everyone stops and reiterates what's going on and why that's bad and what can we do about it.

Also the Doctor's morality is all over the place, still. The stuff with the spiders was baffling, and this week felt a little inconsistent with the general trend of the Doctor's personality, that she's excited to meet a famous soldier, and bragging about her own entry on a book about war. But in fairness, we've not seen the opposite with Thirteen specifically, so maybe it's fine?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Yaz is the Nyssa of this TARDIS trio.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    And I really dislike the way each episode has to over explain what's going on. Feels like they each had a scene where everyone stops and reiterates what's going on and why that's bad and what can we do about it.
    I'm honestly wondering if they're trying to transition Doctor Who from a family show to a kid's show.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm honestly wondering if they're trying to transition Doctor Who from a family show to a kid's show.

I’m glad that my 5-year-old can follow it.

• Options
    The show is tied to death so much that I don't really see it as a kid's show.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kids stories are always full of people dying. If the Daleks just tickle people no one would give a shit.

• Options
    Yeah. I know. Death usually happens in fairy tales and other kids stories, but Doctor Who still seems too dark to me.

Actually, part of the appeal to kids stories is that sense of danger.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Half the episode spent convincing someone with an unplanned pregnancy that they want to keep their baby and then the episode finishes with a prayer?!
    The entire time I was yelling at the screen WHY IS THIS A SUBPLOT WHOOOO CAAAAAAARES

I didn’t mind it as a subplot. I actually liked that it gave us more background on Ryan. Plus there were some funny Graham reactions, and who doesn’t love some funny Graham reactions?

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Can any who listen to Doctor Who audio dramas recommend some available on CD? Which Doctor is irrelevant, a solid story and reading (plus being available on-disc) are all that matter.

I've been aware of these extra adventures for quite a while, without checking them out. Not sure where to start.

Abnett's The Silent Stars Go By is a favourite in our house.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So from what I understood of it, General Heart Attack was going to die even if nothing went wrong.
    They were desperate enough for medicine that they took all of it, it still wasn't enough, and it would have taken too long to get there on the regular route.
    This is why you don't lie to your doctors about what's wrong with you.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options

I didn’t mind it as a subplot. I actually liked that it gave us more background on Ryan. Plus there were some funny Graham reactions, and who doesn’t love some funny Graham reactions?
    It was really kind of a selfish thing for Ryan to do. He wanted him to keep the baby because he was not close with his father. Still, the father can try to take care of the kid and, if he can't, give him up for adoption.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The entire subplot point
    Wasnt about wether it was right or wrong to keep the kid, it was about Ryan working through his own feelings about his father.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »

The Dark Eyes (Eight) series of box sets is real good - features Daleks, the Master and some sneaky Time Lords.

Spare Parts (Five) is a chilling and emotionally effective origin story for the original Cybermen.

Omega (Five) is a sad story about the great Time Lord engineer.

The Chimes of Midnight (Eight) is a fun, creepy time.

The Two Masters trilogy (Five, Six, Seven) is a fun, nasty time.

The Last Adventure (Six) gives the Sixth Doctor a fitting end spanning his multiple Big Finish eras.

The Guardian of the Solar System (Sara Kingdom) and Mastermind (post-TV movie Master... kind of) are good standalones I really enjoyed.

Circular Time (Five) is a set of four stories that culminate in a beautiful insight into what regeneration can feel like.

There’s also a great story that’s been playing out for over a decade with an alternate Three played by David Warner (accompanied first by the Brigadier and later by Benny Summerfield and Mark Gatiss’ pretty good Master). It starts with Sympathy for the Devil, continues on Skaro at the birth of the Daleks in Masters of War, then gets real bleak (yet still enjoyable and interesting) in The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield volumes 3 and 4.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Some of the older ones are digital only, but on good side, they're really cheap. Only 3 dollars or so.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It was really kind of a selfish thing for Ryan to do. He wanted him to keep the baby because he was not close with his father. Still, the father can try to take care of the kid and, if he can't, give him up for adoption.

I got a very different read of that subplot
    I felt the guy, deep down, wanted to keep the baby, but he was too scared/unprepared and was taking the "easy" way out of giving him up. Ryan gave him the encouragement and confidence he needed to take a chance on being a father.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I didn’t realise it until the AV club review mentioned it but..
    The Pting design is just a hairless Stich.

• Options
    I wonder if the Pting was a child of if they are like that in adulthood.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I didn’t realise it until the AV club review mentioned it but..
    The Pting design is just a hairless Stich.
    This is probably dating me very specifically but all I could see was a computer animated Grundo from Neopets.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The number of companions is really dragging this show into the dirt. At one time in this episode, they had us paying attention to 4 different sets of characters at the same time, with incredibly different levels of danger and suspense involved for each of them.

Which just meant that I didn't care, and I didn't take the danger seriously, and the solution felt obvious, easy, and un-suspenseful.
    You can't make me care about a bomb or whatever if we keep pulling my attention away from it to show a dude having a baby. It convinces me that the bomb isn't really a bomb and I shouldn't give a shit.

I love how they keep trying to add some Bill Nye to this show, but holy shit the pace of this show needs to catch up to Whittaker. And maybe let the companions have some agency and be spontaneous and try to do some things of their own volition instead of just being along for the ride? I can't think of a single companion thus far that has been anywhere near as idle a passenger as these 3. It doesn't help that whenever Ryan does get a moment to do something they make him look stupid.

Also are we seriously going to wait all season for Ryan to accept a fist-bump? Is there a racial component to the fist-bump I'm just ignorant of? I'm not getting this and it's just annoying now.

I'm pretty hopeful for this next episode, though. Yaz needs the spotlight.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The attempted fist-bump this episode seemed totally justified.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think Graham's going to nobly sacrifice himself at some point, only to receive a deathbed fist bump from Ryan who calls him "Grandad" for the first time

Much tears

Many emotion

Wow

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    The number of companions is really dragging this show into the dirt. At one time in this episode, they had us paying attention to 4 different sets of characters at the same time, with incredibly different levels of danger and suspense involved for each of them.

Which just meant that I didn't care, and I didn't take the danger seriously, and the solution felt obvious, easy, and un-suspenseful.
    You can't make me care about a bomb or whatever if we keep pulling my attention away from it to show a dude having a baby. It convinces me that the bomb isn't really a bomb and I shouldn't give a shit.

I love how they keep trying to add some Bill Nye to this show, but holy shit the pace of this show needs to catch up to Whittaker. And maybe let the companions have some agency and be spontaneous and try to do some things of their own volition instead of just being along for the ride? I can't think of a single companion thus far that has been anywhere near as idle a passenger as these 3. It doesn't help that whenever Ryan does get a moment to do something they make him look stupid.

Also are we seriously going to wait all season for Ryan to accept a fist-bump? Is there a racial component to the fist-bump I'm just ignorant of? I'm not getting this and it's just annoying now.

Racial? No, it’s a simple generational thing. Graham is trying be down with the kids and Ryan is being an over embarrassed youth.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    That was my favorite episode so far. The pieces are there, they just haven't quite felt confident enough to try anything beyond some very basic stories. That's probably why it has a bit more of a kid's show feel. I think they'll do more interesting stuff once they find their feet a little.

13 reminds me a bit of early Tennant.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I think that the Rosa Parks episode was my favorite of this season just because it had a more risky premise than the others, and I think hit more a emotional cord, but this was another solid episode, though I don't know how much this will stick with me in the long term (again why I liked the Rosa episode more is the memorability of the episode).

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Racial? No, it’s a simple generational thing. Graham is trying be down with the kids and Ryan is being an over embarrassed youth.

Maybe it's a UK thing, then.

Over here, the gesture is so commonplace nowadays that if your grandpa offers to fist-bump you, you fist-bump your grandpa and don't really think anything of it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Maybe it's a UK thing, then.

Over here, the gesture is so commonplace nowadays that if your grandpa offers to fist-bump you, you fist-bump your grandpa and don't really think anything of it.

Most people would. It's meant to show that his character is still very insecure and guarded.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So the thread title led me to kippers, then to smoked kippers, then to “smoke me a kipper; I’ll be back for breakfast!”
    So now I want Captain Jack and Ace Rimmer to meet. And have many incredibly flamboyant babies

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    What a guy.

• Options
    Have they even started on the next season of Red Dwarf?

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Filming starts early next year, last I heard?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Not bad, and it managed some emotional heft, and everything looked gorgeous, but everything continues to feel a bit unfocused and woolly. Yas and Ryan are still mostly just strangers. I couldn’t pick words to describe them that didn’t describe them physically or say what they did.

It still feels like half the companion lines could be passed to someone else and not changed. Graham saying “some kind of fast-dissolving poison dust” is a line you’d get from a neural net that’s read a lot of bland science fiction.

The wife liked this one, and I like the return to doing genuinely educational historicals.

Bogart on
  • Options
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    My congenital need to criticise finds it funny that they picked out Sheffield on a map that size.
    Make it just England and I'd get it, but a fingertip would cover the entire country.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I liked this one

More non-Chibnall episodes please

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]