As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, here's me dying to Larsh and the Mama meme on Solaris. I die towards the end, but you can see the exact moment I shit my pants as 8 Urbies converged on me. 7:57 in for the full match.

https://youtu.be/XKVvHLcTQ2s?t=477

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    But the quirks are easier to tweak to individual variants. They also make the skill tree more varied between variants. None of my Fafnirs are running the same trees aside from the Survival one.

I'm not saying dump all quirks or anything like that. The problem with relying on quirks for all IS v Clan balance is that it makes IS v Clan balance more complicated. Quirks should be for buffing bad mechs relative to their peers in their tech base, or for adding flavor.

In other news, MW5 pre-order get! I have no idea what I'll do with 60k MC though.

Lots and lots of Mechbays for all the Hero mechs available.

I'm still on the fence for some dumb reason... Why can't I pull the trigger?

At least for me it has to do a lot with me having an old gpu and not trusting pgi to optimize anything .

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Thats the RAC2x3 Shadowhawk

What's the build there? I'm having trouble getting more than 4-5 tons of ammo while running at a reasonable pace, and that looks like it wants 8-10 tons.

Edit: Also, I have this Hero Roughneck sitting in my stable, that I have never used. Does it have any decent builds going for it?

Ill post my build tonight

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    'Cause preorder culture is consumer poison. Not that I'm casting shade on the consumers, that shit is designed to be insidious and you're often penalised for not participating.

Yeah normally I'm not intrigued enough with pre-order swag. But this one intrigue me because it feels like you're buying $50 worth of MC, getting a free mech pack, Cbills, premium time, and MW5 on top of that.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    This is the triple-RAC2 build I've seen floated before. Though I think Sammich's build is a little faster: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#b52d9f6f_SHD-2H

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I have JJs on mine too

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

What's the build there? I'm having trouble getting more than 4-5 tons of ammo while running at a reasonable pace, and that looks like it wants 8-10 tons.

Edit: Also, I have this Hero Roughneck sitting in my stable, that I have never used. Does it have any decent builds going for it?

Powerloader or Reaver? Because for the Reaver I've had a ton of success with Baraduls build. Although I downgraded the engine to 250 and turned up the armor quite a bit. I like armor.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I have a fond memory of the Shadow Hawk... Bought one since it was one of my favorite mech designs stolen from anime (second to the Macross ones). Made sure I had an AC 20 on it. Dropped in on Tourmaline and an enemy was poking at the team from behind on a cliff. I happened to notice him and off I went. Jumped up and he popped at the same time. Fired my AC20 and hit his cockpit. First headshot.

I sure miss that mech. Think I need to try out this 3RAC2 build.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular

Powerloader or Reaver? Because for the Reaver I've had a ton of success with Baraduls build. Although I downgraded the engine to 250 and turned up the armor quite a bit. I like armor.

Sadly, it's the Powerhouse. It's the one that I got for freeee along with the Sunspider-Vanguard, which I actually use a fair amount and seems REAL GOOD with 2xUAC10/ERPPC.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I have a fond memory of the Shadow Hawk... Bought one since it was one of my favorite mech designs stolen from anime (second to the Macross ones). Made sure I had an AC 20 on it. Dropped in on Tourmaline and an enemy was poking at the team from behind on a cliff. I happened to notice him and off I went. Jumped up and he popped at the same time. Fired my AC20 and hit his cockpit. First headshot.

I sure miss that mech. Think I need to try out this 3RAC2 build.

Its ugly and boring looking but its a powerhouse of a medium

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Sadly, it's the Powerhouse. It's the one that I got for freeee along with the Sunspider-Vanguard, which I actually use a fair amount and seems REAL GOOD with 2xUAC10/ERPPC.

I'm thinking big engine (like a LE280 or 300), AC20 in the shoulder (3-5 tons of ammo), 3xSRM4s (3 tons of ammo) and reduce the arm armor by quite a bit. You really want to make the most out of that shoulder mount.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Fellow MechWarrior Scout Derek uploaded 48 minutes of the first MW5 Discord AMA on Youtube. He didn't quite get all of it as he had to leave, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nixgBm_P4gQ&feature=youtu.be

Some highlights:

-Weapon recoil is a system that exists in game, tuned for fun
    -Buildings can provide resistance to mechs walking through them, depending on scale of building and size of mech.
    -Those crop fields shown in demo can be permanently destroyed, though some devs were unhappy with how they looked at demo time and turned that feature off.
    -No ghost heat or other heat penalties like in MWO
    -Probably won't see any mechs that aren't in MWO already, but there'll be about 50 chassis with hundreds of variants
    -Mechlab will be restricted similarly to BATTLETECH's mechlab. Change weapons and armor, but no changing engines or upgrades
    -Weapons will have different behaviors depending on their manufacturer. There will be quirks.
    -No character creation, though picking your gender is not off the table
    -No in-game microtransactions, though DLC will happen depending on how well the game sells.
    -Map of Inner Sphere changes as the timeline progresses, though you won't see bespoke campaign missions based on big lore events in your area. Campaign is focused on your personal story.
    -Players won't be influencing the shape of the map by flipping systems from one faction to another.
    -No skill trees. Friendly pilots improve depending on how they're used. Playing as laser boat improves lasers, etc.
    -Co-op involves you inviting players to drop into your campaign and playing as one of your mercenary pilots. Pilot levels up according to your friends' performance. This implies your friends can also get your pilots killed.
    -Infantry is something PGI wants to add, but not top priority
    -VR and TrackIR support "less than 50:50" chance of making it to launch. Post launch support "greater than 50:50".
    -3rd Person camera will be in game
    -Color-blindness support is in consideration

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I just want a modern Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. I'm easy to please. :lol:

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    BattleTech

The BattleTech Beginner Box will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store and through your local retailer.
    The BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat boxed set will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store and through your local retailer.
    The BattleTech sourcebook Shattered Fortress will be available through your local game store. (It’s available on the Catalyst Game Labs store now! print // PDF // both)
    The PDF version of the new printing of the BattleMech Manual will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store. The print version is at the printers now and will be out a bit later this year. This new printing includes an all-new cover bearing the 35th anniversary logo, and includes all errata from the previous printing.
    Apparel bearing the BattleTech 35th Anniversary logo will be available for order, including a t-shirt, hoodie, and pin.
    The re-released anniversary editions of the Warrior Trilogy novels are now available on PDF and Print on Demand. Buy your copies of Warrior: En Garde (electronic / PoD), Warrior: Riposte (electronic / PoD), and Warrior: Coupe (electronic / PoD) now!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I'm even easier to please. Customizable robots that lets me shoot at other robots. Oh and they look like the Battletech robots (or borrowed robots).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    BattleTech

The BattleTech Beginner Box will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store and through your local retailer.
    The BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat boxed set will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store and through your local retailer.
    The BattleTech sourcebook Shattered Fortress will be available through your local game store. (It’s available on the Catalyst Game Labs store now! print // PDF // both)
    The PDF version of the new printing of the BattleMech Manual will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store. The print version is at the printers now and will be out a bit later this year. This new printing includes an all-new cover bearing the 35th anniversary logo, and includes all errata from the previous printing.
    Apparel bearing the BattleTech 35th Anniversary logo will be available for order, including a t-shirt, hoodie, and pin.
    The re-released anniversary editions of the Warrior Trilogy novels are now available on PDF and Print on Demand. Buy your copies of Warrior: En Garde (electronic / PoD), Warrior: Riposte (electronic / PoD), and Warrior: Coupe (electronic / PoD) now!

Nice!!! I need to find the boxes.

Here is the link for the links mentioned in your quote.

https://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2019/01/16/preview-celebrate-milestone-anniversaries-for-battletech-and-shadowrun/

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    There is also a House Arano sourcebook in the works.

Which is kinda funny if you ask me.

Wiseman said HBS's Battletech was canon and CGL was all, "nuh-uh!" then they saw how well HBS's Battletech did and 180'd pretty quick. Smart move on their part to capitalize on its popularity, but still kinda skeevy considering how adamant they were that it wasn't canon in the beginning.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    What happened there? I was under the impression that they intended to adapt the Restoration campaign into source canon from the start

• Options
    It was largely just an issue of licensing.

It is no secret that the Battletech IP is a real who's who of who owns what.

Jordan Wiseman actually fully owns the 3020 setting. He doesn't need anyone's permission to use it or do whatever he wants with it. Which is why Battletech takes place in 3020. As such CGL would've had to make a deal with him to use to House Arano in the tabletop.

This goes both ways and is why the Clans are a bit of a question mark at the moment as HBS would have to get CGL's permission and of course compensate them in some manner.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Ehh. CGL's always maintained that videogames aren't canon unless the material gets put into a sourcebook. Which is exactly what's happening.

Just this time its getting a whole book to itself instead of minor background mentions (MC2/MW4) or sneaking into a bunch of gencon dioramas (Crescent Hawks).

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Hero mech lore is canon

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The Oosiks are canon. 8-)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Axen wrote: »

Jordan Wiseman actually fully owns the 3020 setting. He doesn't need anyone's permission to use it or do whatever he wants with it. Which is why Battletech takes place in 3020. As such CGL would've had to make a deal with him to use to House Arano in the tabletop.

This...isn't right? Topps owns the rights to the tabletop BT IP, and licenses it to InMediaRes/CGL to make products. Microsoft owns the rights to digital BT/MW games, and licences it out to PGI and HBS for their respective games.

And CGL worked side by side with HBS to carve out a time/space niche for BATTLETECH in the larger canon. Right from the Kickstarter:
    We’re also very happy to be working closely with Catalyst Game Labs, publisher of the BattleTech tabletop board games and novels. Even though Jordan created the BattleTech Universe over 30 years ago, the talented folks at Catalyst have been the keepers of the flame for years, and we appreciate their help in ensuring that we deliver an authentic BattleTech experience.

They chose 3025 because it's at the end of the Third Succession War, and the tech level is (arguably) at its lowest (and easiest to transliterate and implement in a new game).

Like I said before, the House Arano book is just squaring the circle.

Because hey, look at that, a unified approach to using the IP across multiple media forms is actually good for everyone involved! Imagine that!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited January 2019

@Kay
    ua7ikwqffbik.jpg

You could play around with this more, maybe drop some ammo for another JJ but I like it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    2nd AMA will be starting in a few minutes. I'll update this post with info.

-Adjustable screen bob is possible. Your view will also react to impacts (taking hits in right arm moves view right, etc.)
    -Double armor and structure like in MWO
    -Don't expect multiple HUDs on release. Possible options for HTAL displays. Multiple Bettys possible. Good things for early mods to add.
    -Knockdowns, melee, and DFA not being planned for day 1 release, but easier to implement than in MWO. It's something the devs will look into, but finishing base game is priority
    -You can build rep and relationships with the Great Houses and other contract providers, but not other merc units
    -Co-op available in beta.
    -Player team size is limited to 1 lance for launch, but larger teams might be possible for instant action.
    -Dropship customization is possible, but not for day 1
    -Cheats and console commands will be available.
    -All the mechs should be available for beta.
    -You won't be owning land on a planet. You will be a mobile merc company, going from system to system for contracts.
    -Mechs won't have individual quirks like in MWO. The quirks come from the different weapons from different manufacturers
    -Possibly having technicians you can hire to improve your mechs with quirks. Not 100% yet.
    -PGI is planning to continue MWO development after MW5, as both products provide different experiences.
    -Missions can throw curveballs at you. Intel could be wrong, employers might lie to you, etc.
    -PGI would like you to be able to stream the beta. Business factors might require NDAs and prohibit streaming.
    -Primary audience is MechWarrior and BattleTech fans, but PGI will provide things like 3rd person camera and automating some factors of mech piloting to help newbies.
    -3 different levels of damage models for each mech component.
    -1st major DLC pack "should be obvious". Clan mechs are "yes, eventually"
    -"Looking into some things" with regards to individual mech startup animations.
    -5 different starting locations change your starting mech, starting opponents, mechs available at market, etc.
    -Mech camos and patterns will be available at launch, but they haven't looked into cockpit customization yet.
    -Primary goal for the limited MW5 mechlab is to not make most of the variants obsolete.
    -No plans for mech "horde mode"
    -MW5 will likely follow the traditional MechWarrrior power creep as the campaign progresses, though there will still be missions that call for lighter mechs.
    -No underwater levels planned
    -"No promises, but would be cool" on quads
    -There will be more collision and environmental damage. Walking into buildings can damage you depending on building. Gas tanks can explode. Stepping on vehicles can damage you.
    -Game is being designed for 4K.
    -Legging works the same as MWO.
    -You earn "negotiation points" and spend them to determine things like pay and salvage rights.
    -Salvage is similar to BATTLETECH, though they're not doing the mech parts system.
    -Occasionally a whole chassis could be salvageable, though rare. You won't be able to headshot everything.
    -PGI will try to host about 2 AMAs per month, with different themes and devs for each one. There will be AMAs for art, modding, missions, etc.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Nips wrote: »

This...isn't right? Topps owns the rights to the tabletop BT IP, and licenses it to InMediaRes/CGL to make products. Microsoft owns the rights to digital BT/MW games, and licences it out to PGI and HBS for their respective games.

Weisman specifically owns the 3020 setting. He can use, add to or change whatever he wants in it and no one can tell him otherwise.

Axen on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Weisman specifically owns the 3020 setting. He can use, add to or change whatever he wants in it and no one can tell him otherwise.

Like, how? How does someone own an aspect or a setting within an IP owned by another party?

My brain, it breaks.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Like, how? How does someone own an aspect or a setting within an IP owned by another party?

My brain, it breaks.

Intellectual property law is a helluva drug.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    New sale and event going on, sale is 40% off on Atlas, Battlemaster, Catapult, Griffin, Hunchback, Jenner, Locust, Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, and Wolverine chassis.

Events for Founders and Phoenix mechs, also regular event going on as well.

• Options

My brain, it breaks.

IP law, much like bird law, is not governed by reason

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    There's like what, a 5 way split on who owns the IP?

• Options

@Kay
    ua7ikwqffbik.jpg

You could play around with this more, maybe drop some ammo for another JJ but I like it.

Cheers for this. Played around with the build (mostly subbing in engines I owned etc) and hit 971 damage right out of the gate. Rotaries are fun, too!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Can you provide some cites for this? What you’re saying is technically possible but very unlikely since neither microsoft nor topps would want to sell their IP to harebrained, and harebrained wouldn’t want to pay for anything more than they’d need to make battletech, eg a license.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Considering selling my WLF-2 since I have Grinner.

Also, planning on getting a SHD for the 3xRAC, and also considering getting a WVR for a medium MRM boat, and maybe a GRF-2N for an ECM SRM boat

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ooo, free pretend money! Will have to make a point to get on this weekend.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty disappointed that they won't commit to having VR support in MW5. I guess that makes it easier for me to avoid the temptation of a pre-order.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    lazegamer wrote: »
    I'm pretty disappointed that they won't commit to having VR support in MW5. I guess that makes it easier for me to avoid the temptation of a pre-order.

I'd rather they focus on making the base game, and I'm a Vive owner.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    So I'm real confused here. I'm dropping in a Thunderbolt (It's the Phoenix event) and my friend is in a Wolverine. When we drop, we check each other out, and he barely comes up to my crotch.

We walk around a bit, then check each other again and my TDR is barely a head taller than the Wolverine. What's going on here?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    So I'm real confused here. I'm dropping in a Thunderbolt (It's the Phoenix event) and my friend is in a Wolverine. When we drop, we check each other out, and he barely comes up to my crotch.

We walk around a bit, then check each other again and my TDR is barely a head taller than the Wolverine. What's going on here?
    It's cold at the start of the match.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    HE WAS IN THE POOL

steam_sig.png