As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    "Like a frightened robot turtle"

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    "Like a frightened robot turtle"

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Dang, 500 match score seems harder than I thought it would be. AMS and sticking with the group?

Oh, damage doesn't count for 100% of match score

monkeykins on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Damage helps, but IMHO the big contributor is components destroyed.
    Flanking, scouting, capture assists, savior kills, kills, KMDDs, solo kills, protect X/protection proximity, UAV detection etc also boost your score.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Crap, forgot today is Thursday again. Somehow my days are all messed up thanks to real life things. Next week I'll try to remember to hoist the Oosik Night flag.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I've got the flu anyway so I haven't been organizing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Ish okay, I Oosik'd many people in the face on behalf of all y'all tonight.

ScVBLcC.jpg

tVUJ6SR.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sprout wrote: »
    Battletech would be well-served by a reboot. Keep the core elements (five warring states, returning exiles fuck everything up), but modernize things a bit. Like, consider not having every protagonist be a white dude.

HBS’s game does a nice job of trying to backdoor some of that stuff in, but I’m not sure if it’s enough.

I agree with your overall points, but the diversity wasn't quite that bad. Just off the top of my head there's Ariana Winston, Cassie Suthorn, Joanna Jade Falcon, & Diana Pryde, who are all lead characters in novels (also Winston's black and Suthorn is mostly asian). Go to the Dark Ages and a lot of the major figures are women (such as Anastasia Kerensky, Tara Campbell, Katana Tormark, Danai Liao-Centrella, & Malvina Hazen). Also there's the various asian males who star in books from the Kurita or Capellan perspectives (and despite the name, Minobu Tetsuhara's actually black).
    Sprout wrote: »
    Battletech would be well-served by a reboot. Keep the core elements (five warring states, returning exiles fuck everything up), but modernize things a bit. Like, consider not having every protagonist be a white dude.

HBS’s game does a nice job of trying to backdoor some of that stuff in, but I’m not sure if it’s enough.

Kai Allard-Liao (the John Cena of Battletech) was azn.

Also Kai's dad Justin Xiang Allard was half-asian (Xiang was his mother's maiden name).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Im fine with the clans in broad strokes but it would have been neater if they came in later after the IS has reached technical parity and the strength of their offensive comes from tactics and timing.

Lets you have a terrifying clan invasion without just making their stuff straight better

I could be wrong here, it's been a while since I've done a deep dive into Battletech Lore, but would that parity have ever happened?
    From what I remember, the IS had been in technological decline for decades (maybe centuries) before the clans showed up. The infighting devastated the tech base and manufacturing capabilities of the IS, causing them to losetheir best designs, lose old technology and continue to fall behind their neighbors. That forced them to start up a fight on new planets in an effort to capture their manufacturing/tech resources, inevitably destroying some of them by accident, further decreasing the collective resources of the IS. That was kind of the whole point of LosTech, that old shit was straight up better than what could be made today.

It was only the clans showing up and giving the IS a single foe to unite against that allowed the IS to turn this steady decline around. Another few decades of the political infighting would have reduced most of the IS to solitary planets with limited to no FTL travel or communication.

But, as I said, it's been a while since I fell into that particular wiki hole, so I could be remembering incorrectly, or just thinking my head-canon was more than just head-canon.

By the time the Clans had shown up the IS had long since more or less gotten its warring sufficiently under control that large scale technological loss was no longer a threat.

If we were reworking lore to create technical parity you would have to do more than push back the invasion date, but not a ton more. The IS caught up in large part because of salvaged Clan tech, but not wholly because of it. The Helm Memory Core for instance. If you give them a few more decades of natural technological development and a couple more previously hidden Star League depots you could credibly have them catch up with the Clan.

Well, a few more decades would let them get back to Star League tech, which is still significantly behind Clan tech. Also, while I always felt it was kind of a cop-out, there's an in-fiction reason why IS powers were never allowed to make their own Clan tech; stuff like their superior lasers required large amounts of rare elements that were far more abundant in the Clans' homeworlds (possibly because they're closer towards the galactic core). So no amount of catch-up time would make them even, unless you're completely rewriting the book on what the relative factions are capable of (which is not unreasonable if we're talking full reboot, but it's worth noting the scope of the changes that would need to be made).

Personally, if we're talking about nixing or heavily reworking the Clan Invasion, I say ditch the clans entirely and come up with something more interesting for the SLDF-in-exile to grow up into, and give them a better casus belli for Operation REVIVAL. As a nod, the clan totems could be mascots for certain elite units or something.
    Like the type of clusterfuck war that the whole Davion-Steiner thing was developing into when the clan invasion put a damper on it.
    And the clans not only have good tech, their homeworlds are also vastly more industrialized than even some of the most prized planets of the inner sphere, simply because they haven't had four succession wars bombing the shit out of their infrastructure for the last 200 years (which has had a massive effect on the IS, despite the Ares conventions being guidelines for civilized warfare).

Huh? What Davion-Steiner thing? Hanse and Melissa were still alive and beloved by their people at the outset of the Clan invasion. Or do you mean their ambitions towards the rest of the Sphere? Because after 3039 my understanding was that had kind of petered out.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I offered a way to rewrite the clans in a way that would prevent them from gaining too much of an edge and give them imo a more interesting reason for coming back

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm just talking, Sammich. To be honest, I don't agree that the tech gap was an issue; it made for a fun narrative arc at the time with the IS having to come together, and Comstar splitting over those who wanted to stop the conspiracy and help vs those who wouldn't reform. It just makes life hard for the game designers, but there are ways to work with it. I mean, there's plenty of other wargames that thrive on asymmetric factions. The real problem imho was that they were stuck on the idea that the Sphere should never get to fully match the Clans, and so even in the Dark Age there's this binary tech divide that just made less and less sense.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    But by the 3100's, several Clans (especially Sea Fox) are openly selling Clantech to the extant Inner Sphere armies, starting with the Republic and working out from there.

Every major IS power by that era has Clan 'Mechs and tech in their Master Unit List. The Clan vs. IS tech divide is much narrower, and that gap within a given army is much more reminiscent of SLDF regulars vs. SLDF royal units. Elite units get the Clantech, and line units get the home-made stuff.

And if you take into account the Republic's initial drawdown on war material after the end of the Jihad, it seems even more likely that a higher percentage of any given IS army's 'Mechs are Clan-made. If you're being forced to dismantle (let's say) 20% of your 'Mechs, are you going to start with the shiny, high-powered Clan ones or the scrubby, 500-year old IS ones?

I'd say it's less a binary tech divide, so much as a nomenclature or semantic problem.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    But by the 3100's, several Clans (especially Sea Fox) are openly selling Clantech to the extant Inner Sphere armies, starting with the Republic and working out from there.

Every major IS power by that era has Clan 'Mechs and tech in their Master Unit List. The Clan vs. IS tech divide is much narrower, and that gap within a given army is much more reminiscent of SLDF regulars vs. SLDF royal units. Elite units get the Clantech, and line units get the home-made stuff.

And if you take into account the Republic's initial drawdown on war material after the end of the Jihad, it seems even more likely that a higher percentage of any given IS army's 'Mechs are Clan-made. If you're being forced to dismantle (let's say) 20% of your 'Mechs, are you going to start with the shiny, high-powered Clan ones or the scrubby, 500-year old IS ones?

I'd say it's less a binary tech divide, so much as a nomenclature or semantic problem.

I was aware that it stopped being a faction equality issue due to trade, but having two different versions of almost everything, with one being objectively better than the other, just felt kind of messy compared to using the time skip to say "IS/SL tech is obsolete now, everything's up to Clan standard". MWO has concocted ways for IS stuff to be better in real-time gameplay, but by tabletop rules there's no question the Clan tech version of any given thing is better.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Pulled the trigger on a GRF-2N (ECM SRM brawler), SHD-2H (all the dakka), and WVR-7D (for MRM boating).

Think I'm done with C-bill mech purchases for a while, which is a good thing since I need to finish skilling a few other mechs up before I can think about outfitting these.

Also, that 500 score requirement is a beast. Closest I managed was 458 in my KGC that had soloed 3 assaults but was brought down by the remnants of the enemy team.

Nobody on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I bought a new mech and imported a Loadout for it, but every time I do it my Save button disappears. I've more than enough CBills to finish the purchase. Is the loadout invalid somehow and this is just how it manifests?

• Options
    Had a few really fun matches in the Arctic Cheetah. Went on flanks paired up with other lights (a Pihrana in the first one, a Jenner in one, Pihrana + Urbie in another). My team lost a total of 4 mechs over three matches. Had >600 damage and at least two kills in all three. In the first match, the Pihrana and I combined to take down three Assault mechs on our own.
    Twas fun.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on a GRF-2N (ECM SRM brawler), SHD-2H (all the dakka), and WVR-7D (for MRM boating).

Think I'm done with C-bill mech purchases for a while, which is a good thing since I need to finish skilling a few other mechs up before I can think about outfitting these.

Also, that 500 score requirement is a beast. Closest I managed was 458 in my KGC that had soloed 3 assaults but was brought down by the remnants of the enemy team.

Aw man, that blows!!! (the sub 500) Hope you manage to get it before the end of the event.
    Glal wrote: »
    I bought a new mech and imported a Loadout for it, but every time I do it my Save button disappears. I've more than enough CBills to finish the purchase. Is the loadout invalid somehow and this is just how it manifests?

Not sure if this is a bug, but try removing a part and putting it back and see if it is a but with the UI. I remember long ago there were bugs when dragging and dropping parts caused it to bug out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I've been playing MWO a lot more recently, I took a break for a long time so a lot has changed, but it wasn't too difficult to get back up to speed.

I haven't bought any new 'mechs yet, but I've been running a Warhammer 6D to pretty great effect. STD 295 engine, 2x light PPC, 6x ER medium lasers, heat sinks to fill out the tonnage. It runs a bit hot but it just slices through armor like tissue paper. Plus at ~74kph it can get itself into and out of the fray pretty reliably.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

Aw man, that blows!!! (the sub 500) Hope you manage to get it before the end of the event.
    Glal wrote: »

Not sure if this is a bug, but try removing a part and putting it back and see if it is a but with the UI. I remember long ago there were bugs when dragging and dropping parts caused it to bug out.
    I ended up taking a screenshot of the loadout and building it manually myself. Then it worked just fine.

itsamystery

Glal on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I've been playing MWO a lot more recently, I took a break for a long time so a lot has changed, but it wasn't too difficult to get back up to speed.

I haven't bought any new 'mechs yet, but I've been running a Warhammer 6D to pretty great effect. STD 295 engine, 2x light PPC, 6x ER medium lasers, heat sinks to fill out the tonnage. It runs a bit hot but it just slices through armor like tissue paper. Plus at ~74kph it can get itself into and out of the fray pretty reliably.

It would probably be worth looking into a light 295, then - could proably squeeze in some more heat sinks.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It would probably be worth looking into a light 295, then - could proably squeeze in some more heat sinks.

I could just Google this, but what are the benefits and drawbacks of light engines? When I left there were only standard and XL.

• Options

I could just Google this, but what are the benefits and drawbacks of light engines? When I left there were only standard and XL.

Lights are basically quasi Clan XLs. Lighter weight, side torso space requirement, and you can lose a side torso and not blow up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Lights are basically quasi Clan XLs. Lighter weight, side torso space requirement, and you can lose a side torso and not blow up.

Yeah, they're effectively a midpoint between normal engines and XL engines. Not as much weight savings as the XL, but you need to lose both side torso to blow up instead of just one.

• Options
    I know that in the base game all engines basicly worked the same, except that engines intruded into the side torsos.
    If you recieved three critical hits to the engine it explodes. Clan XL engines intrude two slots into a sidetorso and IS XLs 3 slots and if a torso is blown all items in it automaticly count as crit. But anyway, it also meant that clan XLs could crit if you blow up a sidetorso and then get a crit to another engine part.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    468 match score. So close!
    Then a 488!!!

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Swapped the MAL back to the quad LBX build. The Baradul build was amusing, but relied way too much on teammates sharing armor and not running off to nascar.

Also ran into an amusing KGC tonight. Guy had set up 6 AC/2s in a macro and was basically machine gunning mechs to pieces from halfway across the map.

The worst part was the enemy team let him do this to 4 mechs without any answer, they were too busy trying to squirrel and musta thought it was just regular machine gun fire.

• Options
    Ah yes, the proud Chainsaw build. Love that one.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Needed to use lighter mechs since I'm in a 12-drop, decided to dust off an old favorite but updated to the new build some of y'all were talking about.

I6yodR3.jpg

Oooooh, yeah this is good civilization.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I was looking at my MWO redeem page to make sure my preorder stuff got through when I saw an entry for "Penny Arcade Premium Time".

Curious, I googled the phrase and found an MWO forum post that linked to this

full_1.jpg

full_2.jpg

Does anyone remember these?

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I would have done more damage, but I ran out of ammo.

cadrj7w75ygi.png

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    I was looking at my MWO redeem page to make sure my preorder stuff got through when I saw an entry for "Penny Arcade Premium Time".

Curious, I googled the phrase and found an MWO forum post that linked to this

full_1.jpg

full_2.jpg

Does anyone remember these?

I absolutely remember those!

• Options
    At one point it used to be in the OP right? I remember when they made those and loved that MWO got the PA love.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    @Spectrum good to see Beagle is still playing. I've seen a lot of people popping into the usual friendly MWO streamers' chats (Moadebe, Majestic) talking about how they just started playing thanks to Beags streaming it.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    re: those old images

It's funny because the torso twist one is 100% wrong, as was soon commented, but otherwise the rest of it remains relatively sound.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Man, those campaign missions are basically puzzles, and boy howdy can they scare the crap outta ya.

Battletech spoilers (midgame?):
    The mission was to raid the "castle" full of LosTech.

The first set of drones pop up and I move to engage them. Of course, I didn't see the other drones that are behind me if I just engage the ones I can see.

Okay, not hard yet, but I'm not a fan of being unexpectedly flanked.

Drones pop up, I knock them down, fine, no problem. Oh, and there's also these turrets I need to take care of. That's doable.

Except the drones keep coming and coming, wittling away armor point by point...and so I need to split my forces: leave two mechs behind as a blocking force, and send two mechs ahead into the teeth of the turrets to knock those down and occupy the front door. First turret goes down easy. Second one spots, and the other two just lay into Kamea, who's only in a medium. Oof. Okay, blow away the the second turret, pull a third mech off blocking duty long enough to knock down a third turret.

Fine. Fine. Everything is fine.

Third mech gets shot in the back because the AI isn't dumb when it sees an opening. It's okay, nothing is destroyed, but there's no more armor there and some minor structural damage.

Turn that third mech back around to act as a blocker and back my ass up the hill, while Kamea and my main take down the last turret and move to occupy the front door.

I've now got 3 heavy drones and a medium harassing my two mechs left behind, and of course it spawns a new set down below as well as one on my flank up top right next to the bunker door, which also lays into Kamea. It almost blows an arm off. I panic and lay into it with both my main and Kamea; it explodes. Meanwhile I wreck two of the drones down below, and the other two move up and smash damaged blocker. It's not dead, but I did not expect to lose a damned side torso and take heavy damage to the main body to vehicles for god's sake!

Mission ends with me feeling chastised for not having figured the tricks out soon enough to deal with them.

Next mission where you take Kamea and a couple of her compatriots on a stroll through the countryside--and about a zillion hostile mechs.

Starting in close combat with hostile mediums was an unpleasant surprise. They immediately layed into me. No structural damage--assaults are tough!--but they're already stripping armor and I've hardly had a chance to even see what's going on!

I smash my way to the LZ taking moderate damage, with the Black Knight tanking the worst of it. The evac shuttle gets vaporized and I start moving in the other direction.

Couple mediums pop up on my radar. Fine, no problem. Couple assaults pop up on my radar. This could be a problem. Couple MORE assaults pop up on my radar. Oh fuck.

Three of the four assaults focus on my Black Knight, which gets cored. Oops. I'm left with two assaults, and a medium to engage four assaults and a medium. Whoof.

Some fancy footwork and a few destroyed arms later, I manage to evacuate Kamea and her band of merry men.

But man, that was a nailbiter.

Then that evac the dudes mission!

I went in with my Highlander and 3 heavies (2x Thunderbolt, 1x missile Orion) and started attacking the main thrust. Then, inevitably, the first flanking assault hits. I'm concerned the main thrust is going to go after the fuel tanks so I focus on them and just bombard the flankers at long range. The flanking forces, of course, focus on the fuel tanks. Crap. Okay, change of plans, at least move one of my guys out to engage the flanker so it can be targetted by them and maybe draw fire away from the fuel tank. That works, though of course now my DPS on the main force has dropped significantly.

The main force meanwhile is ignoring my mechs (which I have been studiosly trying to keep from getting flanked) to focus on turrets. I'm damaging and destroying them one by one, but I'm going to run out of turrets at some point.

The second flanking force then arrives. I still haven't finished cleaning up the first! And none of my main mechs are in position to engage them! Agh!

Panic worked really well last time
    it didn't
    so I panicked and sent two units from engaging the main thrust two engage this second flanking unit. Of course, since I'm out of position, neither can actually range on them. *mutter*

The main force uses this breather to wipe out most of the remaining turrets, while I smash one of the two mechs in the first flanking group. Meanwhile a pair of mechs from the main thrust has split off and is making a beeline for the first fuel tank.

First shuttle lifts before that pair of mechs has a chance to kill it. Whew. Okay, I've got some breathing room.

My two other mechs meanwhile have managed to start engaging and get engaged by the second flanking force before it can kill the second fuel tank.

In the end, the turrets held out long enough that the Highlander was able to tank the main thrust before my separated units could finish wiping out their respective targets and come back and support.

But man, it didn't feel like it was going to work out for a little while there.

Overall I'm impressed with how the campaign missions have consistently managed to surprise me into making bad tactical decisions without being impossible.

So far the worst has been that "capture the depot while avoiding destroying too many weapons caches" missions. And there again, it's the mechanics they used to tempt me into diverting my fire away from the hostile mechs and avoiding blasting the caches that caused me to outright fail that mission. And of course, the firestarters. Man Firestarters were an unpleasant surprise.

Orca on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    re: those old images

It's funny because the torso twist one is 100% wrong, as was soon commented, but otherwise the rest of it remains relatively sound.

It's absolutely correct, though! Never shoot space ostriches.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    What is wrong about the torso twist bit?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Woo hoo, broke 500 match score in my laser vomit BLR (5 kills will do that).

Also, I came across a series of tutorial videos. They're old, but they seem mostly relevant still (the exceptions are referring to the old skill systems and modules). I can link them if folks want. Also, found a couple separate videos related to starting out in faction warfare and picking baby's first mech.

• Options
    IceBurner wrote: »

Because in no.2. He's doing some excellent arm-shielding. That's not wrong, it's great.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »

Because in no.2. He's doing some excellent arm-shielding. That's not wrong, it's great.

Missing the point of that there. The idea behind that entire section isn't "use your torso to shield from enemy fire" it's "point your guns at the enemy and hit the enemy with your gunfire". I think it would have been a bit clearer to those of us who have been playing for awhile if the Atlas was firing in that second frame.